Notes, quotes and observations from camp — Day 2

NAPA — Several key players went down with injuries Friday that turned out to be of the season-ending variety. The news came one day before the Raiders throw on pads for the first time and ratchet up the intensity.
Don’t expect coach Dennis Allen to change his philosophy in light of the serious injuries. It’s full go Sunday when the Raiders hit the field for the third time.
“We want to be a tough physical team,” Allen said. “To do that, you have to be able to practice that way. We’re going to practice tough, we’re going to practice physical and guys are embracing that.”
That doesn’t mean that Allen won’t keep tabs on his players. In fact, he said he monitors his players on a daily basis and when they’re beaten down, it’s time to back off.
Still, the game is football is a rough sport, and Allen doesn’t subscribe to coaching in fear of losing a player to injury.
“This is a tough game,” Allen said. “Unfortunately, injuries are part of the game and they occur. At the end of the day, you have to have a next-man-up philosophy and you have to deal with those hurdles when they come up.”
Center Stefen Wisniewski is among those itching for Sunday, when the players finally get to throw on full pads and start banging into each other.
“It’s all good working on your feet and hands and stuff with no pads but, really, no good O-line, you can’t tell until you put pads on,” Wisniewski said.

– Andre Gurode might be 34 years old, but he said he feels as good as he has in three years and he isn’t here just to collect a paycheck.
Actually, Gurode sounds like a man that expects to be in the starting lineup for the regular-season opener, though he stopped short of making such a bold prediction.
“I’m not a guy that just wants to come and occupy a spot,” Gurode said after his first practice with the Raiders. I want to come in and compete and make my presence known. Whatever way they need me, I’m here.”
Gurode was with the Chicago Bears last season, but he didn’t appear in any regular-season games. He last played in a regular-season game in 2011, when he was with the Baltimore Ravens.
Gurode played mostly center for the Dallas Cowboys from 2002-10. He played both guard spots and center for the Ravens. Coincidentally, he played all three interior spots in practice today.
Don’t even think of questioning whether Gurode is on his final legs.
“Oh, no, I’m not a guy that just signs on to just to do it; I got plenty left in the tank,” Gurode said. “I actually feel better now than I felt three years ago, which is crazy.”
Allen seemed pleased with Gurode’s performance Saturday.
“He’s a big, powerful guy,” Allen said. “We signed him to have an opportunity to come in and compete and have a chance to make this football team. I see him playing inside center-guard combination type of player. For the first day, I’ll look at the tape, but I thought he was OK.”

– Signing Gurode is a luxury the Raiders had because they had an open roster spot and Gurode was on the open market. By and large, don’t expect many more players walking through the gates at training camp that can make a huge impact on this year’s team.
“There are no saviors coming,” Allen said. “I feel very confident in the guys we have, and they all understand the type of football team we’re going to be and how we’re going to be.”
In other words, Allen said, most of the guys that will comprise the 53-man, opening-day roster are on the 90-man roster right now.

– Cornerback D.J. Hayden sported a red, non-contact jersey for a second straight day. Based on his play, he doesn’t seem overly concerned about protecting himself from injury.
On one play, Hayden closed on wide receiver Rod Streater on a deep pass from Matt Flynn and broke up the pass as he ran into Streater.
Hayden, of course, just returned to practice after missing the tail end of the offseason workouts because of a surgery in late May to remove scar tissue in his abdomen, something that resulted from the aftermath of a surgery six months earlier.
There is no timetable for Hayden’s return to full action. For now, he is participating in every drill and trying to avoid contact whenever possible.

– Flynn spent time backing up JaMarcus Russell at Louisiana State. No telling how much, if any, he learned from Russell. However, it’s clear that Russell could learn plenty from Flynn.
For instance, Flynn spent more time signing autographs, posing for pictures and putting smiles on fans’ faces than any other Raiders player after practice Saturday.
During Russell’s three-plus seasons with the Raiders, he routinely put a phone up to his ear — who knows if anyone was on the other end of the line most times — or threw on headphones so that he could blow past fans who waited in the sun just for an autograph, a picture, a fist bump, something.
Flynn then spoke with the local media for about 10 minutes and a national reporter for 15 minutes or so before he disappeared into the locker room.
By then, some of his teammates already were gone from the field.

– Linebacker Miles Burris, defensive tackle Pat Sims and offensive tackle Menelik Watson still haven’t been cleared to practice. Allen didn’t have an update for any of the three players.

– Owner Mark Davis watched the entire practice for the second straight day. He checked out the proceedings from the open area between the two fields. Afterward he chatted with a couple of players.

– The highlight of the day came during one-on-one passing drills, with tight ends and running backs squaring off against linebackers and defensive backs.
Early on, the defense set the tone, with middle linebacker Nick Roach running stride for stride with speedy running back Darren McFadden and knocking down the ball at the goal line.
Soon thereafter, the quarterbacks and receivers seemingly had their way with the defenders almost every time. The fans roared their approval time and again.

– Tony Bergstrom worked with the first-team offense at left guard today, one day after Lucas Nix got the first shot.
Left guard isn’t the only spot on the offensive line up for grabs, it appears. Once again, Alex Barron got some snaps with the first-team, with incumbent starter Khalif Barnes getting the rest.

– Allen said he and the Raiders were aware of the possibility of wide receiver Andre Holmes getting suspended by the league for violating its performance-enhancing substances.
“It’s a league matter, not a suspension handed down by the team,” Allen said. “We’ll just leave it at that.”
Holmes said he preferred to let stand a statement he made earlier today that was obtained by NFL.com. Here it is in its entirety. You be the judge:
“When I received a letter from the NFL stating that I tested positive for amphetamine, which is banned under the NFL performance enhancing substances policy during an off-season test in April, I was very surprised as I know that I did not take any banned substances,” Holmes said. “I know that I had been quite ill when I was tested in early April, as I reported to the sample collector at the time my sample was given, so I thought one of the medications I was taking was responsible.
“However, to this day, even after further testing, I do not know how the substance got into my system. The drug policy rules are very strict with a zero tolerance, so after consulting with the NFLPA (NFL Players Association) and reviewing the medical documentation, I will not appeal the discipline. During training camp and preseason I will work extremely hard, and I will continue to work intensely so that I’m ready to contribute the minute I am back. I sincerely apologize to my teammates, coaches and Raiders fans for this situation.”

Steve Corkran

• xraided

J Hill Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:53 am
    Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 2m

WR Jacoby Ford got hurt in practice, and he wasn’t able to finish.

——————————————————————————-

Unbelievable!
    _________

LMAO! same as last year… couldn’t even make it outa camp into preseason

cut the man already. jeezus

• ENGLANDRAIDER

It’s like J.Ford is related to Chaz Schillens.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Jacoby Ford injured.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Bob Marley Says:
    All things being equal between Flynn and Pryor, you have to go with the guy who can make plays with his feet as well as with his arm, Pryor’s ability to run the ball adds a whole new dimension to the Offense and opens things up for the rest of the skill players.
    =====================================================

Has always been thus. Actually, with Palmer, I said 80 percent of his passing game plus Pryors athleticism is good enough for me.
    Good 1st time fanpost at SsndBPride on this. Guy deserves a read and comment.

• realtruraider

J Hill Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:53 am
    Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 2m

WR Jacoby Ford got hurt in practice, and he wasn’t able to finish.

——————————————————————————-

Unbelievable!

————————————–

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

J Hill Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:48 am

—————————————————————————–

All things being equal, don’t you put the better “chess player” out there?

And that very well may be Pryor.
    ==========================================

As I have said before Terrel Pryor just OOZES athletic ability. I think I am a better athlete just standing next to him he has so much God given talent. But as we have all seen, there is much more to being successful in this league than just being talented.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Chaz isn’t hurt yet. Tearing it up in the motor city. I know, it’s still early.

• J Hill

So I guess we need to start looking at Vernon and McGuffie.

Slot smurf’s days are numbered.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:55 am

im starting the pryor cheers early and often…every week they will get louder…but it starts at
    the first home game.
    =========================================

It’s already started. Pryor was clearly the fan favorite yesterday.

• Marks hair

aaaaaaaannnnnndd down goes ford

• xraided

“lol, the blog is going to freak out, just like it did when he missed ONE day of OTA’s.”

yes one day plus how many games in his AWESOME career? he’s not a football player… this much is obvious… no one smart on this blog was really expecting him to do anything of significance on the field anyway

it’s been all about D-mO and Streater from my stand point, and hoping guys like Ausberry shine and become a force in the passing game. looks to be he’s heading in that direction too.. so we’ve got some good pieces to work with.. Ford will be a distant memory coming up quick.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

J Hill Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:52 am

Not worried about TE at all.

WR depth certainly concerns me.
    =========================================

Mastrud was running with the ones yesterday. I found that interesting.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

All we know about Ford so far is he got hurt and didn’t finish.
    That’s not necessarily a big deal.

• realtruraider

LMAO! same as last year… couldn’t even make it outa camp into preseason

cut the man already. jeezus

———————————–

ummmmm……….he got hurt in a preseason game

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Lmao!!!! Pryor haters are feeling the heat, & it will only intensify from here.
    Going back to week 14 last season when Pryor ran scout for the first time all season, the more he plays the better he gets & the more his talent shows.

Conversely the more Flynn plays the more ordinary he will also show to be.

The team will also respond to Pryor & Allen is headed for a full blown qb controversy .

Love that Davis jr is watching is dads final pick tear it up too. Allen won’t be able to run that ” he isn’t ready” crap this time around. Davis is putting Allen under pressure.

Speaking of under pressure Flynn must be shidding bricks knowing he must be perfect in camp ‘ preseason to hold off Pryor. He will not be able to be perfect when preseason comes & QBS aren’t wearing red jerseys.

That is when the chasm in tent between Pryor & Flynn will be easily evident.

Football gods are smiling on us now & we have our own wave of the future qb ready to bust loose & punish the AFc west

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:58 am
    Chaz isn’t hurt yet. Tearing it up in the motor city. I know, it’s still early.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It is indeed.
    He sure as hell got hurt a lot here and at SDS too.

• 0ak r8rs

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:19 am
    Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 32s
    Pryor showing nice zip, tight spiral on most of his passes.

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 1m
    Terrelle Pryor connects with Conner Vernon. Finds soft spot in zone coverage.

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 5m

Pryor drops in a pass over linebacker and in front of defensive back. Great touch.

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien 1m
    Pryor has nicely placed ball to Brice Butler on crossing route.

==========================================
    HE CAN’T THROW !

@@@@@@@

Shut up. You know as well as I do that has been the case. He’s never been accurate or been able to hit his spots on a consistent basis. If he’s finally worked that out then fantastic. I’m all for it.

• xraided

Seymour Bush Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:59 am
    Al_is_theraiders Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:55 am

the first home game.
    =========================================

It’s already started. Pryor was clearly the fan favorite yesterday.

________

SB,
    is TP running away from pressure and throwing on the run in ways Flynn doesn’t in the 7on7′s ?

• Marks hair

should have brought in a wr reg…..

• J Hill

I was HOPING slot smurf could shake the injury bug.

Just like I’m HOPING 20 can too.

1 down already.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Well, maybe we have it backwards, Mistic. Maybe Flynn will shine when the bullets start to fly in games?

• RAIDERMAN99

If Pryor can stay consistent throughout camp and preseason I would love to see him win that starting job.
    I’m not going to get overly excited yet though.
    ===========================================
    That’s a good idea.

Got to admit though, I do get excited about the prospect of TP turning out to be the real deal.

I remember the first time I saw TP play for OSU. Honestly, I wasn’t overly impressed.

Then I remember seeing video of him walking to a nice new car and driving away – in the midst of a scandal implicating him for accepting ‘favors’ from a dealership.

I don’t like tattoos, and I hear about him selling uniforms and memorabilia – to get tattoos.

I’m thinking to myself, ‘this kid is a first class azz clown’

Then the RAIDS draft him and I’m hoping, just praying, that he’s learned a tough lesson, and maybe, just maybe, he can get his head on straight and be a man on a mission to redeem himself and be all that he can be.

Then I hear him being interviewed by Gruden during a nationally televised game – and the kid is humble as hell and swearing up and down that he’s going to absolutely bust his tail to get it right.

He hasn’t disappointed in that aspect.

Not only has he been working his tail off, he’s said all the right things.

He’s gone the extra mile to hire his own coaches.

Not a peep of discontent or a complaint about not even being activated by the moron TITS.

Model citizen.

Proud to be a RAIDER, proclaims his utmost respect for AD and wants to validate the old man taking a chance on him.

Now I don’t know if he’s going to be our answer at QB…

BUT HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS KID ?

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

J Hill Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:50 am

that being said, Flynn looked like a professional Q out there. Pryor didn’t.

—————————————————————————–

Could you be a bit more specific?
    ============================================

A lot of reasons. Pryor looked like the best Q on the roster during the pattern drills. Pryor was really zipping it in there, and showed accuracy. But Again, he doesn’t throw the most “catchable” ball. Both Flynn and Wilson throw much more “catchable” passes which I can break down later.

When they went to the 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills, exactly what I said would happen, happened. Pryor would revert back to his bad habits of throwing inaccurately, and throwing off his back foot, etc. You cannot do that and be successful in this league. Or you will go 4 for 11 for 40 yards. Like he did in SD.

• Marks hair

fords just a return guy…. dropps passes and is always hurt…

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

xraided Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:59 am
    Al_is_theraiders Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:55 am

the first home game.
    =========================================

It’s already started. Pryor was clearly the fan favorite yesterday.

________

SB,
    is TP running away from pressure and throwing on the run in ways Flynn doesn’t in the 7on7’s ?
    ================================================

Yes and No. When pressure comes, Flynn gets rid of the rock to his safety valves accurately and efficiently. Pryor will take off. And believe me, Pryor took off on a couple of plays that would have been big gainers against the defense.

Ty Wilson does the same thing. He gets out of the pressure and can make some plays with his legs. Not at quite the clip that Pryor can tho. Pryor is ridiculous in that regard.

• xraided

yes i’m starting to get a very clear picture of Pryor running with DMC and Reece at the same time… scary stuff for the team trying to stop it

Ausberry is going to have more catches than Myers did last year because of all the open fields he’s going to see… except Ausberry can break tackles in ways Myers couldn’t…

this offense is going to flow very nicely once Olsen learns how to use all the pieces around him.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

J Hill Says:
    Really good news to hear how BOTH QBs seem to be doing rather well.
    =======================================================

Don’t you love it? There seems to be a perception from some that the Flynnies and Pryorites want the other guy to falter. I think most of us want this to be the coaches toughest decision to make this year. And not ‘cuz they’re equally bad. And Wilson’s still a wild card. Only day three.

• 0ak r8rs

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 11:49 am
    Bob Marley Says:

I just think we could have given DHB another shot, he was everything management and coaches wanted in a player, hard-worker, tough kid and a competitor, yes he didn’t have the best hands but that didn’t stop physical freaks like T.O. from making an impact while throwing in some horrible drops along the way.

DHB turned out to be a much better run after the catch type than deep-ball guy, isn’t that what the new offense is supposed to feature?.
    ====================================================

I’ve come to think it’s considered bad form to offer a guy that much of a pay reduction (not restructure) to come back. Kind of an insult. Better to make the same reduced salary in a new place. Bottom line is the same, but be it psychological or face saving, whatever, just something I’ve noticed.
    There are exceptions of course, and I’m talking about players in their prime. Happens all the time with older players understandably, like Cooper Carlysle last year. Just my opinion.

@@@@@@@

Pretty sure DHB is making $5 million less than he would have w us. He never would have taken that big of a cut to stay w the team. I wish we could have kept him too. Inconsistent hands, but he did alot of things good and had a great work ethic.

• xraided

very good Seymour

you are our eyes and ears out there

good to hear all 3 QB’s look like they’ve shown up

we should be deep at QB either way!

• xraided

holy sh!t people are still talking about DHB? crazy. i knew he would be better in indi with Luck… please guys let it go and focus on our team huh?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    Lmao!!!! Pryor haters are feeling the heat,
    ======================================================

Can you please name them? Instead of constructing a strawman to riff off of?

• xraided

“Pryor is ridiculous in that regard.”

yes i mean, if arm accuracy’s are a close call between the three guys, you have to go with the guy that is the most athletic, no? i have a feeling they’ll go with the guy that they’re paying the most.. flynn … we’ll see how long that lasts

this is getting very very interesting. lovin’ it!

• CDERaider

Ford down on day 3? He’s getting cut if he can’t stay on the field, scholarship is over. Enter Conner Vernon in the slot.

• Marks hair

wilsons a nice project, but with Flynn and Pryor already on the team id have drafted a safety or de..

• Al_is_theraiders

good! bring signs to the games put pressue on tits allen….

• xraided

Mistic is talking about anyone that’s every objectively doubted TP… i did at some points based on what i saw. and i’ve said if he can turn those lame duck passes into zips on the money in the short term passing game, this kid will shine… obviously he’s doing that and i’m happy as a clam … nothing else matters at this point.

but hey, preseason hasn’t started yet. we’ll see then. outlook good for the TP man

• RaiderTater

You all do realize that qb’s are pretty much playing catch at this point?
    No one’s in their face. they know no one is going to lay a hand on them.
    1 on 1 drills? 7 on 7 drills? Yes, it’s nice to see players get their rep, but you can’t honestly believe that you can measure how a qb will play in week one in non-contact drills?
    Some of you seem to want to grab onto anything, and hold on for dear life, even though it’s straw.

• realtruraider

lol, you can tell that training camp is underway, a whole lot of overreaction going on early this year. I mean seriously, Ford doesn’t finish practice and everybody is freaking out lol. I’m a fan of all 3 of our QB’s and hope Pryor does get a legit chance to be the starter, but we should let a few more practices pass before we anoint a starter. I like what I’m hearing about the QB’s as a whole so far, much better than OTA reports

• xraided

CDERaider Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

_______

which flows nicely with what i said above about Ford soon being a distant memory. Vernon seems like he has a good rapport with TP as well. lovin this sh!t…

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Wilson looks to me like he’s a great pick by McKenzie.
    The guy is just a rookie though with a lot to learn.

The starter is going to be Flynn-which is why McKenzie went out and got him-unless he looks real bad in pre-season-with Prior as #2.

Even so they seem to getting ready to use Prior in certain situations so he will be playing this year.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

xraided Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 12:10 pm

very good Seymour

you are our eyes and ears out there

good to hear all 3 QB’s look like they’ve shown up

we should be deep at QB either way!
    ============================================

McGloin made some plays which is kind of hilarious. Like I said I was there for quite some time yesterday, so I can break alot of it down for you guys. Jenkins and Porter both looked good. Especially with Branch and the future Hall of Famer behind them. Woodson looked ridiculous out there BTW.

• CDERaider

TP playing well and pushing Flynn is good news. Flynn is way too comfortable for my taste. He needs pushing and better not slack – TP and Wilson are hungry.

• xraided

realtru you don’t get it

Ford has never been healthy. he’s worse than DMC in that regard. he CANNOT ever hold up to the physicality of the game. it really is sad because he’s a playmaker

but it’s clear he’s not a football player. you need to wake up there guy.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

0ak r8rs Says:
    ====================================================

Yeah. Forgot to address Marley talking about his YACability. Actually, not much to say except he was awesome in that regard.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RaiderTater Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

You all do realize that qb’s are pretty much playing catch at this point?
    No one’s in their face. they know no one is going to lay a hand on them.
    ==============================================

True, but they do have to make plays and heave the rock into tight windows. Flynn was head and shoulders better than Pryor at that yesterday. And then when they go to 11 on 11′s believe me, there is a pile up. Guys do get hurt in camp.

• RaiderTater

quote: “BUT HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS KID ?”

Can pretty much be said about 95% of NFL players.
    Most bust their ass.
    Most give it their all.
    Most spend the offseason doing everything they can.
    Most quietly go about their business.
    Leaving out a few prima-donna’s who love the limelight, you can be speaking about most players on all teams.

• xraided

Seymour Bush Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 12:16 pm
    xraided Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 12:10 pm

very good Seymour

you are our eyes and ears out there

good to hear all 3 QB’s look like they’ve shown up

we should be deep at QB either way!
    ============================================

___________

wow good for McGloin.. maybe he can hold the clipboard somewhere this season? or be our practice squad camp arm … either way i like the work effort of an UDFA QB…

wow our DB’s are worlds better than they have been since the Woodson’s first go around… it seems

is DJ out there too still red shirted?! Chuck has been raving about this kid coming outa the gate with perfect footwork…

• 0ak r8rs

@@@@@@@@

This is exactly what I was taking about, all you smart @sses.

HE CAN’T THROW

And in most cases you can do all the work and practice and training and coaching you want, but in times of stress the muscle memory and bad habits take over. And QBs r stressed 90% of the time. We will see what happens when we start preseason. I hope he gets alot of time out there. I’d really like to see that he’s figured it out. Like I’ve said many times, it’s obvious he is our he’s option all things considered.

But he has to be able to do it in games. And he has to be able to do it consistently. Be accurate and hit his spots in a timely fashion. Consistently.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Wilson looks to me like he’s a great pick by McKenzie.
    The guy is just a rookie though with a lot to learn.
    ===========================================

I was impressed by Ty Wilson yesterday. Nice motion, nice mechanics, very good arm strength, accurate, heady…he just needs to get bigger and stronger, which he will. Of interest was Al Saunders had Wilson over on one side of the field working with him and the two’s while Flynn and Pryor and McGloin were running drills against defenders on the opposite field.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

xraided Says:
    =====================================================

Ease up,x. Talking about how we handled DHB’s contract IS talking about our team. Not exactly ancient history.
    It’s not as if you have to stand in line to post a comment.