Burris antsy to get back on the field

NAPA — By this time last year, linebacker Miles Burris was well on his way to establishing himself as a rising star and forcing the Raiders to find a place for him in the starting lineup.
These days, Burris still is recovering from offseason surgery on his right knee and itching to get back on the field as soon as possible.
“That’s part of why they picked me up is my mentality,” Burris said. “I love football. I love competing. I love being with my teammates and getting better every day. Just playing ball. That’s what I love to do.”
Burris started 15 of the 16 games he played in as a rookie last season. In the process, he recorded 138 tackles and injured his knee.
He underwent surgery soon after the season ended and has been in rehab mode ever since. Coach Dennis Allen said Burris and the other injured players fall further and further behind with each missed day.
“Miles is the guy that we were counting on this year,” Allen said.
That still might be the case if Burris is able to return to full strength before long and play at the level he did last season, when he made veteran Aaron Curry expendable.
For now, Kaluka Maiava is working at the weak-side spot that Burris occupied last season. But, not Maiava is out with a left foot injury. That underscores the need for depth and versatility.
“You have to be able to train all of these linebackers to play multiple positions,” Allen said.
Burris said a typical day for him is working out with the strength coach, then “mentally” playing his position as a means of staying sharp on his assignments and the defensive scheme.
His knee injury was the manifestation of normal wear and tear from playing football, Burris said. He started to feel pain at some point in the second half of the season.
Sitting out isn’t something that Burris accustomed to doing. He hasn’t missed a game since he started playing in the fifth grade, he said.
“I’ve rarely missed any practices,” Burris said. “So, I just love being out there every day. Being here right now, it’s just the Lord’s way of teaching me some patience. It’s been good, though. You got to take the positives out of it.”

Steve Corkran

• RaidO

The team is not good enough to win with a dink and dunk offense led by a QB with a sub-par arm(Flynn). Teams will already be keying on the running game and a dink and dunk passing attack will be bottled up along with the running game. Secondly, the Raiders’ receiving corp are not short route runners. They are most effective at going deep and stretching the field. Terrell Pryor’s talent, skill set and greater experience with the team actually makes him the favorite to win the job, if that is, the Raiders want to improve and win this year.

• Just Fire Baby

Now the fags want to talk about Tim Tebiw. Shhh.

*********************************

Fags?

I am taking your hate-speak straight to Becker.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

C’mon Oakglenn, time to unleash the trolls, Btch.

• EMRaiders

RaidO Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:27 pm

==================

Good point. TO add to that, on top of the WRs going deep, and our top running game, we would also have TP’s ability to run and make something happen with his feet if the play breaks down.

This has the chance to be an explosive offense. Let’s hope it all comes together nicely.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

I hate to say I TOLD YOU SO:

“Pryor: I think that at the end of the day, it’s can you get the ball to where it is supposed to be, at the right time, in the right spot, and that’s what it is. It doesn’t matter about the arm, or the way you throw, it’s can you get the ball in the right spot at the right time.”

“Silverandblack666 Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    Repost:

“IMO What he needs to develop is the ability to deliver the ball to the place where it needs to be in that split second that he has to get it there.”

I TOLD YOU!

Exactly what I said earlier POW!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

EMRaiders Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:25 pm

So is Pryor beginning to separate himself from the other QBs? Is he stringing together one good practice after another?
    ==============================================

No and no. To me he looked like the new and improved Pryor who is just good enough to be a number three Q in the league.

• Just Fire Baby

Why do we think Flynn will be a dink and dunker?

In college and in his few starts in the NFL, he has been much more Brett Favre than Chad Pennington.

Tons of yards, lots of points, too many turnovers.

That is who Matt Flynn is.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

KoolKell Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:28 pm

C’mon Oakglenn, time to unleash the trolls, Btch.
    ===========================================

This can’t be Kooky. This has got to be some troll posing as him. Kooky would be on his third nap of the day by now.

• Breaking_Black

That’s why Pryor has been looking better. He’s been training in Southern California, The Land of Greatness..

TP and the LA Raiders LETS GO!!

• raiderlization

This is what we want a good battle for the job you get three QB’s that are hungry! Go Raiders!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

————————–
    I think DA wants a conservative D&D offense. I’m sure he’s blind to TP.

• Just Fire Baby

Breaking_Black,

Told you Kemp would go on the DL.

Dude is made of confetti. Sprained ankle = out a month

• EMRaiders

Seymour Bush Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:30 pm
    EMRaiders Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:25 pm

==============================================

===========

SOooo, does that make him better than Flynn and Wilson?

• Breaking_Black

KoolKell Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:33 pm
    ————————–
    I think DA wants a conservative D&D offense. I’m sure he’s blind to TP.
    —-
    Dungeons and Dragons Offense! LETS GO!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

raiderlization Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

===============================================

The intriguing guy is Ty Wilson. Wilson looked very good in limited doses. He looks like he has real ability. I liked everything I saw from him. He needs to get bigger and stronger, and he certainly is not up to the speed of the NFL game, but those things should come over time.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I think DA wants a conservative D&D offense. I’m sure he’s blind to TP.

But if Marks has to talk to him again, he’s gone.

• Marks hair

my major concern is the wrs , the d-line .

• EMRaiders

KoolKell Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:33 pm
    ————————–
    I think DA wants a conservative D&D offense. I’m sure he’s blind to TP.

================

Let’s hope you are wrong KK.

• devilr8er

Will Ford make the 53??

• RaidO

The dink n dunk is ok when you have Jerry Rice and Tim Brown on the WR depth chart.

• Orthodoxdj

Dennis Allen doesn’t want to win? That’s a ridiculous comment. Just because Allen isn’t in love with Pryor doesn’t mean he wants to lose. Maybe the TP folks should wait until the season before such statements are made. TP has never shown any evidence of being ready and able to be a GOOD NFL QB.

• RAIDERMAN99

I agree with JFB.

I do not believe that accuracy can be SUBSTANTIALLY improved through coaching.

You might see some improvement by tinkering with delivery and footwork, but basically you’re either innately accurate or you’re not.

Seen some crazy stuff over the years from baseball players regarding accuracy.

I saw a catcher that could throw laser strikes to second base, but couldn’t lob it back to the pitcher !

Sometimes it’s mental.

Koufax was wild as hell when he first started, then something clicked and he had pinpoint accuracy with a devastating heater and a curve that dropped off the table.

But that’s an exception to the rule.

Generally, if you struggle with accuracy – that’s something that’s going to stick with you.

My bugaboo with TP is that I see him taking steam off his passes in an attempt to make sure he’s going to get the ball where he wants it.

That isn’t good.

If he shows he can zip the ball with accuracy – watch out.

I remain very skeptical that he can do so.

But I’m not ruling it out.

And to take it one step further, even if he never develops the ‘fire and forget’ Hellfire missile accuracy – he still can bring enough to the table to get it done and win in the NFL.

FIRE TITS YESTERDAY

• SnBG

I don’t think we can assume that the Offense will be a dink and dunk style O. Flynnie’s arm is strong enough to throw down field. He’s not the strongest arm guy but he can go deep when he has to.

• SnBG

EMRaiders Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:37 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:33 pm
    ————————–
    I think DA wants a conservative D&D offense. I’m sure he’s blind to TP.

================

Let’s hope you are wrong KK.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I don’t think DA is blind to TP, he doesn’t have total confidence in him yet. It may come but right now I would say Flynnie is going to start. Pryor better play his tail off in the preseason. I’m rootin for him.

• SnBG

EMRaiders Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:30 pm
    RaidO Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:27 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    He’s not as accurate as Flynn.

• RaidO

SnBG Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:57 pm
    EMRaiders Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:37 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 2:33 pm
    ————————–
    I think DA wants a conservative D&D offense. I’m sure he’s blind to TP.

================

Let’s hope you are wrong KK.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    _——————–

See that’s nonsense because Flynn is not proven either. Flynn last situation was getting beat out by a rookie QB.
    A current similar situation is over there in Philly with Chip Kelly. Eagles have not named the starting QB and no “favoritism” or degrading “not ready” words have came out about either(Vick or Foles) unlike in Oakland. They have a legit QB competition. Splitting first string reps etc etc.
    That’s how it should be with the Raiders but DA is a frickin crap coach.