1,501

Notes, quotes and observations from camp — Day 3

NAPA — The pads went on Sunday for the first time all season as the Raiders enjoyed the contact aspect of the game for a change.
It also might be about time to put on some stickum-laced gloves based on the way the Raiders struggled hanging on to the football.
Today’s practice featured numerous dropped passes, including two each from wide receiver Jacoby Ford and fullback Marcel Reece.
Coach Dennis Allen bemoaned the number of dropped passes Saturday as “way too many.” It seemed as if there were at least a dozen dropped passes Sunday, yet Allen said: “It was better today than it was yesterday.”
Either way you look at it, the Raiders need to do a better job of catching the ball.
To be fair, the Raiders attempted a high number of passes Sunday and their receivers caught a majority of the balls one might expect them to catch.
Allen said it’s going to take time for things to reach the desired level. That’s understandable, given this was the third day of camp and many of the receivers and quarterbacks are new.
“It’s going to be a continual process,” Allen said. “Really, at the end of the day, what it comes down to is concentration. Focus in on the football, make the play when you get the opportunity and that’s what players in the NFL do.”
Tight end David Ausberry was not among those guilty of dropping catchable passes Sunday. He took things in perspective.
“On the whole, things went smooth,” Ausberry said. “We knocked off the rust a little bit, but overall it went well.”

– Ausberry is one of a handful of players vying for the starting spot created by the departure of Brandon Myers.
Ausberry and Richard Gordon are the returning tight ends from last year’s team. Therefore, it’s logical to assume that they have an edge over a cast of other hopefuls.
That list includes draft picks Nick Kasa and Mychal Rivera, as well as Brian Leonhardt and Jeron Mastrud.
Myers entered camp last season lumped in with Ausberry and Gordon. He asserted himself at practice and in Oakland’s exhibition games en route to earning the starting job.
“Absolutely we’re looking for somebody to step up,” Allen said of this year’s group. “That’s what training camp is all about. We want somebody to step up, say that, ‘I’m the man and this is my job.’ We’re going to let the competition dictate that. We’re going to give everybody the opportunity, at least early in camp, to prove that they’re worthy of that title, of being the guy.”

– Cornerback Taiwan Jones intercepted a Matt McGloin pass early in practice as he continues his conversion from running back.
He said that he no longer views himself as a running back, except when he gets his hands on the ball as a result of an interception or a fumble.
“I’m looking to take it to the house,” Jones said of his mind-set when he has the ball.

– Undrafted free agent wide receiver Sam McGuffie missed practice for the second straight day.
Allen isn’t giving specifics on injuries right now, so we’re left to speculate and connect the dots.
The smart money says, McGuffie is recovering from a collision he had with a defensive back Friday. McGuffie took a shot to the head on the play and looked shaken up for a spell afterward.
It’s interesting to note that McGuffie suffered three concussions during his freshman season at Michigan — he finished his career at Rice.

– Cornerback D.J. Hayden still is wearing a red, no-contact jersey in practice. However, he isn’t backing down from sticking his nose in there from time to time.
At one point Saturday, Hayden covered Rod Streater as a member of the first-team defense. So, the Raiders might be easing Hayden into the mix in terms of contact, but certainly not as far as his exposure to the defense.

– Lucas Nix worked at left guard for the second time in three days, with Tony Bergstrom running with the second-team.
Therefore, it’s apparent that offensive line coach Tony Sparano is going to take a long look at both players for a certain length of time before he decides on a replacement for departed veteran Cooper Carlisle.
Same goes at right offensive tackle, where Khalif Barnes is getting the bulk of the reps. Alex Barron and Willie Smith also are getting quite a bit of time at right tackle, mostly as backups.
The rest of the offensive line appears set, with Jared Veldheer the left tackle, Stefen Wisniewski at center and Mike Brisiel at right guard.
Veldheer said he’s impressed by how well the line is jelling under Sparano’s tutelage and despite the conversion from a zone-blocking scheme to a power-blocking scheme.
“It’s coming together well,” Velhdeer said. “Guys have it down very well. People are getting it, and coach Sparano has done a good job of teaching guys how to do it and really understanding the full play and what’s happening. That allows us to go out there and play fast because we’re not thinking about a lot of things.”

– Linebackers Miles Burris, Sio Moore, Kaluka Maiava and Billy Boyko, defensive tackle Pat Sims and offensive tackle Menelik Watson didn’t practice today.
Allen said he expects Maiava to “miss a little bit of time” but that the other injured players don’t appear to be too serious.
Same goes for wide receiver Jacoby Ford, who missed the latter part of practice with an undisclosed injury. He looked fine in the first half of practice, especially on several downfield routes that required him to run at or near full speed.

– Several players mixed it up early in practice, with Barnes emerging from the bottom of the pile, along with a handful of defensive players.
As far as training camp brawls go, this one registers about a 1.0 on a scale of 1-10. Allen dismissed the dustup as business as usual.
“It’s football,” Allen said. “At the end of the day, we got to understand that we can’t hurt our team. We need everybody out there. But you have to practice football. You have to practice it tough, you have to practice it physical and you’re never going to be able to run the ball if you don’t come off the ball and try to knock the heck out of people.
“That’s what we did. First day of practice, you get pads on, everybody’s a little jacked up and it got a little feisty in there. But that’s all right.”

– Terrelle Pryor is throwing the ball with the kind of zip, accuracy and touch that weren’t evident much his first two seasons, let alone during offseason workouts.
Chalk it up to a player that refuses to be told that he can’t succeed as a quarterback in the NFL and works as hard as any of the 88 players on the roster.
“He’s continued to get better,” Allen said. “He’s worked extremely hard at it and anytime you get a talented player that works extremely hard, he’s going to get better. We’re doing some things with him to try to take advantage of his talents. He’s responding to that. He’s going to continue to work. He’s competing. The guy is a competitor, so he’s trying to do everything he can to help this team.”
On one play, Pryor dropped back and fit a ball into tight coverage, right into the waiting arms of receiver Juron Criner. This was a high-difficulty pass that required Pryor to get it over linebacker Keenan Clayton’s hands without launching it too far and into the arms of the defensive back.
“That was definitely a good pass for me,” Pryor said.
In fact, he had numerous good passes and very few that were off the mark.
By Pryor’s estimation: “I missed about three or four balls out of a lot, 83 throws, 90 throws.”
Allen said he isn’t thinking too far down the road in terms of converting Pryor to another position if his progress stalls.
“Our focus is trying to train him as a quarterback,” Allen said. “That’s what we’re working on right now.”

Steve Corkran

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

And Omar Gaither returns. I’m guessing this means that neither Maiava nor Burris will return soon.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Peckerwoods in here calling everyone ELSE Racists? Still? Wow.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

SnBG

Are you there right now?

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Duck are you there?

• mcfadden20.

Silverandblack666 Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:46 pm
    “post 1362 is completely true.. if you don’t want people to think you’re racist don’t say things like that to them”

Sorry man nothing I said was directed at you I apologize if it came off that way.

Wasn’t right what you said about Arabs , n Arab girls are hot

• mcfadden20.

Lucky you Duckie

• Raider Riff

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:48 pm

————

Good. He was solid filling in for McClain.

Nothing great, but not a liability either. Which is a major upgrade in many of our position groups.

• SnBG

There’s just something within all of DAs coach speak that had people nervous since day 1. I wasnt one of those guys but after hearing all the crap he spewed about TP and then seeing how much better TP was than DA predicted, I became very suspiscious of DA.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I would disagree with that. DA is pushing Pryor and last year he didn’t think Pryor was really ready to be a starter. I would agree with him. Pryor did some nice things in SD but still wasn’t as accurate as he needs to be. I think if Reg and DA thought Pryor was ready they wouldn’t have brought Flynn here. That speaks volumes of were they think Pryor is in his development. Pryor came into the league seriously raw. A year or two behind other QBs coming into the league. He’s getting better and I would love to see him take the job from Flynn. He may yet. I’m rootin for him.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Peckerwoods in here calling everyone ELSE Racists? Still? Wow.”

So you use the single most racists term this BLOG has seen today to describe your distaste for racism.

Ok now I see why you constantly get abused here.

• Gdog

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 11:18 am

Gdog Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 11:15 am

learn the game bubs…

=======================================

Says the guy who wants to retain a stone-handed wideout because he blocks well…

>>>

The point was it was a DOWNGRADE. Stop pretending it isn’t. Streater has potential. Nothing more.
    Potential doesn’t cut notches in a water gun.

• mcfadden20.

Who has looked the most impressive at the camp, Duck?

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

mcfadden20. Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Who has looked the most impressive at the camp, Duck?

====================================

Hayden, followed closely by Roach. Offensively, it’s probably Flynn and Pryor. Pity they play the same position.

• mcfadden20.

Streater doesn’t just have potential , he was already looking better than DHB during the latter part of last season and I’m a HuGe DHB fan

• Raider Riff

SnBG Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:52 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

———–

Most of your post is solid.

But DA said he was worried about TP even calling a play and getting in and out of a huddle. All this via 3rd team reps every so often.

The fact is, DA never gave TP much of a look and he had to be forced into the SD game by Mark. That’s entirely on DA.

• The_Judge37

Is Gaithier going to be able to get by on “Not being Rolando McClain” for another year, or will he be expected to actually produce this year?

Stop it….
    That’s like saying you fight with Raider Fans who never liked JLH and Kirk.

***

@Raider O

I do!!

• SnBG

I agree, Streater is coming on.

• Priesttj12

SnBG Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    We’ll have to see how my boy Pryor does in Preseason. He has to wow the coaches to really make a move on Flynn. I’m happy that he has improved enough for people to see it.

***************************************
    This is the kind of stuff I don’t like. Everyone should hav eto WOW the cooaches not just Pryor. It’s like saying Flynn is sssoooooo great that Pryor has to be perfect. All he he has to do is be the best option at his position same as everyone else at theirs. I gaurantee one thing when you consider upsides it’s not close.

As far advanced as Flynn is supposed to be he should have this position nailed down and he doesn’t. He has 3 years experiece on the rest of the field but IMO he’s barely nudging these guys out so far. That says to me he’s about as good as he’s going to get. He can get better but how much better is the question.

• mcfadden20.

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:54 pm
    mcfadden20. Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Who has looked the most impressive at the camp, Duck?

====================================

Great to say Hayden is in thick of things and RoAch is helping us get rid of the bad taste in our mouth after watch MLB play past few years

• CDERaider

More dissing on nfl network about how far away the Raids are from being ‘competitive’. They are saying they are 2-3 years away. I love it. Keep the outside expectations low.

Just look at the schedule, we only play 5 teams with winning records from last year. I think the defense can’t possibly be as horrible as last year – they will be middle of the pack – and just by moving to power game – by default we’ll win 6 games and we could sniff 8 with a big win against Denver at home last game of the season.

Chiefs are way overrated, Chargers are going to tank. We can easily go 3-3 in the division and win another 3-4 games outside of it. Jags, Titans, Eagles, Steelers at home and Jets, Cowboys on the road
    all very winnable games.

Keep up the hate. We got something for ya… Its called DMAC, Reece, Murray running down ya throats.

GO RAIDERS!

welcome back, Omar Gaither!!

• JLofty

I am starting to get fired up about TPryor. Tough not to like his attitude and fire and ethic.

But the kid is a physical specimen and if he can really master the nuance and difficulties of the position of pro QB, we’re going to have something special.

Still for the life of me cannot fathom how the coaching staff decided to play Matt Leinert last season. Wtf?!!?
    I hope to God that was Gregg Knapp’s horrible decision….

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Wasn’t right what you said about Arabs , n Arab girls are hot”

I don’t like them I think they are ugly as hell! I think Indian women are ugly too so what.

I really don’t care if anyone here views me as a racist because I think Arab women are ugly or for any other reason.

If you are desperately seeking affirmation from a blog like this you will certainly have other issues in life that are bigger and probably should not be here. Some people (KK and O)need this blog to feel like a real human their self esteem is based on how they interact with others in here and what those people think about them. Ever notice how KK will come in here and tell us how he is getting on a plane like we are his family or how “O” comes in here to ask his friends what kind of vehicle he should buy.

Some people need this place I get that just try not to take it to serious ok dude!

• Raider Riff

Priesttj12 Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:56 pm
    SnBG Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:40 pm

***************************************

————-

I hate agreeing with Priest. Every time I do I question my own sanity.

But this post of his is so true it cannot be argued against so dont try. Priest and the rest of the Pryor Brigade have a point if they take the stance shown in this post.

• Marks hair

na silver, my post was about some racist bs Mac 20 thru at me… he said I quote that ” i must be one of those black guy supporters“… and since I was seeing a black girl at the time it really got under my skin.. and I was merely pointing out that the reason people think he’s racist is because he will say awful things like that and then not apologize He’ll simply say mystic made me mad so I had to do it…

• mcfadden20.

The_Judge37 Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:56 pm

–/–/–/–/–/–/–/–/–/–:–

Roach is our MLB and we got impressive Sio Moore at strong side , and Burris maiva will come back soon from injuries

• Raider Riff

The_Judge37 Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:56 pm

————

“not being Rolando” is a major upgrade. Just sayin’

And for the record, Omar did his job last year. Watch the tape closely. He filled his gaps and played responsibly. If we had just 11 guys on the defense that werent spectacular but all just did their jobs, we’d be a dominant defense.

Not everyone can be Deion Sanders nor should we expect them to be.

• CDERaider

RUN THE BALL!!

• mcfadden20.

Silverandblack666 Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    “Wasn’t right what you said about Arabs , n Arab girls are hot”

— alright fair enough you don’t have to like their girls or Indian girls I don’t care , I jus think talking about about everything Arab was just bad taste , but oh well to each his own

• Marks hair

gaither =good depth..

• SnBG

”””””””””””””””’
    Fair point Priest and Pryor may have improved enough to push Flynn but the thinking is Pryor is a raw talent and Flynn is a more polished and accurate QB. This is good for Pryor. Competition is pushing him to get better. He’s worked hard this off season because he want’s to play and be the starter. I think he is opening the eyes of the coaches but he does need to prove it on the field during games. When I say wow the coaches I mean he has to show he has advanced enough to really compete with Flynn.

• PlunkforHOF

Raider report time on NFLN

• mcfadden20.

How’s the pass rush looking Duck?

Omar Gaither was like Ray Lewis compared to Rolando “RM99″ McClain … but he’s like Ricky Brown compared to guys like Nick Roach & Kirk Morrison

• mcfadden20.

N does C Wood have good enough speed to stay with receivers?

• SnBG

20, I’ve seen many beautiful Indian and Arab women. Maybe you’re not looking in the right places.

• Raider Riff

Mcfadden20. Says:
    July 29th, 2013 at 2:04 pm
    How’s the pass rush looking Duck?

————

Wait, didnt you see the in depth article on our d-line by Cork?

I mean, leading up to the draft it’s all we heard about. How much we needed to rebuild our defensive line.

So Im surprised to see that our defensive front has barely been mentioned by our beat writers…..

Oh wait…. Im not surprised at all.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Mcfadden20

My brother was in Desert Storm stationed in Kuwait in 1991.

That’s all I am saying.

• CDERaider

Gaither is a great sign. Knows this defense and is a steady player. Can play middle next to Roach in 3-4 looks. Love it. Maiava injury is minor and hoping we get Burris back soon.

These LB’s are the best group we’ve had in years!

Now what about DT? Might need to bring another guy in…

• Raider Riff

Silverandblack666 Says:

My brother was in Desert Storm stationed in Kuwait in 1991.

———-

So what.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

More Raider coverage on NFLN right now

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“So what.”

Your mom that’s what!

• mcfadden20.

Too many questions

• SnBG

I’m looking at the raiders practice field right now and they’re not practicing just yet. Getty ready.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

I have heard stories about how gross women are in that part of the world….like I said I am not saying any more.

Back to football

• The Big Banana

——–

Pryor hasn’t needed anything to push him. He’d been working his tail off before Flynn. That’s who Pryor is. He won’t sit idle.

• tonedeezy

defense improved with Gaither last year, not sure if that means that Gaither is good.

after all, the defense began practicing against tackling dummy McClain…which clearly motivated them.

• Marks hair

the defensive line has been my biggest concern since before last year started..