Notes, quotes and observations from camp — Day 5

NAPA — Two years ago, Denarius Moore burst onto the scene in training camp as a wide receiver to be reckoned with. Last season, Rod Streater made a huge splash. This year, it’s Andre Holmes emerging from a crowded receiving corps and making a strong case for a roster spot, if not significant playing time.
Holmes, 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds, caught two passes for 11 yards in seven games with the Dallas Cowboys last season. He also spent time with the Minnesota Vikings since he entered the NFL out of Hillsdale college, the same college that produced Raiders left offensive tackle Jared Veldheer.
Moore and Streater ultimately enjoyed successful rookie seasons. Time will tell if Holmes follows their lead, even if he isn’t a rookie.
If so, he won’t get to make his mark until the Raiders fifth regular-season game, at the earliest, because he was suspended four games by the league for violating its policy on performance-enhancing substances.
Holmes has outshined the likes of second-year receiver Juron Criner, 2013 draftee Brice Butler and undrafted free agents Conner Vernon and Sam McGuffie so far.
Time and again, it’s Holmes making the big play, drawing oohs and aahs from the fans in attendance and catching the eyes of the coaches that will decide who stays and who goes a month or so from now.
“I’ve made some plays and everything but I’m still going to be hungry and just think, ‘OK, I’ve done what I’ve had to do,’ ” Holmes said. “It’s continuous, especially going into the preseason games. That’s where, I said every practice is a game, well the preseason is like the Super Bowl. You got to go out there and show your worth and just because you do it the first four days of camp, you got to keep doing it every single day.”
On Tuesday, Holmes worked his way into the corner of the end zone, timed his leap perfectly and came down with a pass from Tyler Wilson just as the ball sailed over cornerback Taiwan Jones’ fingertips.

– As long as we’re on the subject of wide receivers, coach Dennis Allen said he still isn’t sold on any of the players on his roster as the go-to receiver just yet.
He is hopeful that someone will emerge as the clear-cut No. 1 by camp’s end. Moore and Streater figure to be the only legitimate candidates for that role right now.
“I don’t think we have a go-to guy yet,” Allen said. “I’m waiting for someone to jump out and be the guy. We have a talented, young group that’s working hard, but it’s going to be a work in progress. We have until September to figure that out.”
Moore played the part last season, until he lapsed the second half of the season. Allen is eager to find out if Moore can regain his standing as the No. 1 receiver on this team.
So, what does Moore have to do?
“Make the plays that we want him to make,” Allen said. “He’s going to have to go up and make the contested plays, and he’s going to have to make sure he doesn’t have those concentration drops that he had at times last year. Again, It’s as much about the mental part of it as the physical part of it.”
Beyond that, Allen said, he wants every one of his receivers to develop a certain mind-set.
“Just, to be the go-to guy you’ve got to see yourself as a go-to guy,” Allen said. “We’ve got to develop a swagger with the players on this team. There’s got to be a vision and there’s got to be a belief that they’re good football players, and that they can get the job done.”
Streater said he is taking that message to heart and not wasting any days at practice.
“As of now, I feel like I’m competing for that,” Streater said. “Every day, anything that comes my way I got to catch. Whatever I don’t, I just got to continue to work hard and just continue to focus on running routes right, blocking and doing things receivers do when the balls not in the hands.”

– Nice touch by Pro Football Hall of Famer Willie Brown and current Raiders scouts Zack Crockett and Calvin Branch to spend some time with long-time season ticketholder Josh Maresca during practice today.
Maresca, who turned 58 today, is battling illness right now, so the visit no doubt served as a nice pick-me-up. He watched today’s practice while wearing a No. 80 Raiders jersey.

– Linebacker Joe Mays signed with the Houston Texans, but not before receiving interest from a handful of other teams, including the Raiders.
It’s unclear whether the Raiders offered Mays a contract before he opted to sign with the Texans. However, he was on the market when the Raiders were searching for help at linebacker in light of injuries to Miles Burris, Billy Boyko and Kaluka Maiava.

– Allen had a rather revealing quote about rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden: “He’s not a first-round draft choice that feels like he’s entitled. He’s a first-round draft choice that wants to come in and prove himself. That’s what I like about him.”
Everything we’ve seen from Hayden supports Allen’s take. Hayden got beat on back-to-back plays Tuesday, but he bounced back and ran stride for stride with the receiver a few plays later and prevented a long completion.
Even though Hayden hasn’t been cleared for contact in practice, he participates in every drill, doesn’t take off plays and soaks up as much info as he can from coaches and veteran players.

– Offensive players wore the silver jerseys the past couple of days. As it turns out, that’s more than coincidence.
Allen said there’s a little competition going on between the offense and defense each day, with the unit that outperforms the other getting to wear the silver jerseys the next day.
It’s all part of fostering competition, creating a little good-natured rivalry and keeping things interesting during the drawn-out days at training camp.
“There will be practices throughout training camp where we’ll put the jerseys up for grabs and the side of the ball that competes the best,” Allen said, “because, at the end of the day, we’re judged on winning and losing. We had a competition day the other day, the offense won the jersey, the defense is fighting to get it back.”

– Tony Bergstrom worked at left guard once again with Lucas Nix sidelined by injury. The rest of the offensive line looked the same, for the most part.
Jared Veldheer is at left tackle, Stefen Wisniewski at center, Mike Brisiel at right guard and Khalif Barnes at right tackle.
Recently signed lineman Andre Gurode worked at right guard and center. He moved from center to right guard when he was on the field with Wisniewski.

– The play of camp so far came late in the proceedings today, when defensive coordinator Jason Tarver pleaded with his troops to make a goal-line stand.
On the next snap, strong safety Tyvon Branch jumped a route for tight end David Ausberry, stepped in front of Ausberry and intercepted Matt Flynn’s pass. Branch was off to the races, his teammates and Tarver off the hook with excitement.

– A close second came a tad earlier when fullback Marcel Reece matched up with Jones, bolted down the left sidelined, timed his leap perfectly and snared the ball over Jones and kept going for a long touchdown.
That’s the precise reason the Raiders love Reece so much, for his ability to create matchup nightmares because of his rare combination of size, speed, hands and athleticism.

Steve Corkran

• hwnrdr

798.Dakota Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 10:51 am
    Hwnrdr….how did every thing fair with that tropical storm?

I heard it passed leaving some instability yesterday! Caused some showers, heavy down pour in some areas…hadn’t heard nothing more…
    Some of my friends said that Flossey was a joke!

• Raiderfusion

The Yardbarker had some pretty good articles today. One about a Steeler DLineman that uses ballet to avoid injuries, it really makes a lot of sense. A second article caught my attention also about Greg Jennings slamming Aaron Rogers about being a prima donna, the reason I mention this is we hear from Rogers all the time on our radio station KHTK, and he seems like a good guy. Does anyone out there known about Rogers at all.

• RAIDERMAN99

The other day they had Charlie Casserly in Napa.

They kept talking about Casserly interviewing Tits.

Somehow the Tits interview was never shown, or if it was I missed it.

They did have an interview with CWOOD though.

CWOOD gave MFLYNN some props, didn’t leave much doubt that MF is the clear starter right now.

CWOOD also talked about intending to play beyond this year even though he’s only got a 1 year deal with the RAIDS.

Said he felt great and was going to make plays.

• Plunketthead

Enough already!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I am use to it. Happens every day and there is always a common denominator.

• Dakota

801.hwnrdr Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 10:57 am
    798.Dakota Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 10:51 am
    Hwnrdr….how did every thing fair with that tropical storm?

Some of my friends said that Flossey was a joke!
    ++++++

I should probably know this, but you don’t live in Hawaii anymore?

• Raiderfusion

The Pro Bowl is the least significant All Star game of the Major 3 Sports, although the NBA is a close second. MLB is really the only one that merits even talking about, because something is really at stake. Home firld advantage for the World Series.
    The only Pro Bowl I’ve watched in the last 15 years was a few years ago when my daughter’s cheer leading squad along with a few others performed at halftime. Other than that I don’t bother.

• 8RaiderReign8

R8ER MIKE Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 8:59 am
    Silverandblack666 Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 8:51 am
    “skinny, tweeky, paranoid and toothless.”

Don’t we have a trailer park resident who fits that description usually in here trolling and doing a horrible job of predicting presidential races
    ********************************************
    i have never predicted a presidential race sir , and i am no where near skinny either !!
    _________________________

R8er Mike

I don’t think they meant you, but are you in a single or double wide?

• RAIDERMAN99

===========================================
    CWOOD was asked about that.

Said he never felt that Rogers thought he was above or looked down at the other players.

Was pretty complimentary about Rogers as a teammate.

• Raiderfusion

Raidermann99: How could you mention CWood giving props to MF, now Mistic and Priest will think he’s racist. Just kidding, but you never know.

You see your boy Nick Miller is on the Eagles? Maclin roster replacement.

***

@Dutch

Nick Miller = Vince Papale !!

• hwnrdr

805.Dakota Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:06 am
    801.hwnrdr Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 10:57 am
    798.Dakota Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 10:51 am
    Hwnrdr….how did every thing fair with that tropical storm?

Some of my friends said that Flossey was a joke!
    ++++++

I should probably know this, but you don’t live in Hawaii anymore?

No, I been here in the Bay for the last 12 years. Starting my 8th year as a season ticket holder!

• realtruraider

Congratulations to DT client Myles Wade, who just moments ago signed on with the Oakland #Raiders. Best of luck to Myles!
    Retweeted by Steve Corkran

———————————————————-

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

• dplunk

Raiderfusion Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:08 am
    ————————————————–
    correct, and though more is at stake in the MLB all-star game..the NBA has been head & shoulders above the other major sports when it comes down to marketing their all-star games..the NBA has an entire weekend of schedule events that preceeds the game itself on Sunday

Alot of buzz about mike Jenkins too.

***

@Oak

we’re talking about WR’s. I think you meant Greg Jenkins

Mike Jenkins is our starting CB.

Greg was a former QB at Alabama State. he went undrafted. 6’1″ 205 lbs athlete.

Looks a bit like Josh Cribbs

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

We’ve just sign DT Myles Wade. Two observations:

1) Sims must not be coming back anytime soon.

2) Who in the blue hell is Myles Wade?

• hwnrdr

So Seattle waives a rookie and he comes to us now? Is he any good?

• hwnrdr

Rogers-Cromartie just carted off the field!

• Dakota

811.hwnrdr Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:15 am

____________

I see. Man, I wish I could get back to the Islands….I spent a couple of weeks in Maui back in 2002….and also visited Pearl Harbor on the way home. My grandfather and great uncle were both stationed there when it was attacked.

Road to Hana, Kaanapali beach, Molokini crater….some day I will tear myself away from work and go again.

Myles Wade is 6’1″ 300 lbs and went undrafted out of Portland State last year.

Reggie gave him a workout last offseason too. So did the Bucs & Packers. He signed with the Seahawks and got cut on June 4th

• realtruraider

Hwnrdr Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:21 am
    So Seattle waives a rookie and he comes to us now? Is he any good?

————————————————-

I don’t think he is a rookie, he was on their PS last year. I remember watching something on this guy but not sure why or what exactly it was, Maybe I watched film on youtube or something after hearing he put up 42 reps on the bench.

• dplunk

I may be in the minority, but I want the Raiders Offensive line to be the best unit on the team to come out of training camp this year

So Seattle waives a rookie and he comes to us now? Is he any good?

***

@hwnrdr

he was an undrafted rookie LAST YEAR, not this year

• RaiderDebo

What a joke! To me, this is the one true draft mistake the 1st round by Al in the last 10 yrs or so. Everybody and their mother saw it coming. And to think, this guy STARTED as a rookie! Every week that JaMarcus took the field in 2009, it was 9.5 vs 11. Screw the $3mill he just got. For the garbage Al surrounded him with, he should have blown off the negotiations and let a jury award him like $20 million more! Just another of the many self-inflicted wounds that has kept this team in the dumps the last decade. Sucks.

• realtruraider

—————————————————–

Oh, maybe thats why I watched film or whatnot of him

• RAIDERMAN99

================================================
    Don’t want to make it sound like CW brought MF up out of the blue or that he endorsed MF as the starter.

Rich Eisen specifically asked CW what he thought about MF and how he was doing.

CW said he thought MF was looking good. Mentioned making the right reads, getting rid of the ball quickly and putting it where he wanted.

Also specifically said MF hasn’t been turning it over in the red zone.

Not sure if that was a subtle swipe against CP.

Doubt it, but JFB would have liked it.

• hwnrdr

818.Dakota Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:22 am
    811.hwnrdr Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:15 am

____________

I hear ya! I try to go back every year! Mau’i, I haven’t been since 1996

• R8ER MIKE

R8er Mike

I don’t think they meant you, but are you in a single or double wide?

************************
    use to have a single wide a bunch of year back….
    now i have a nice little compound with a “real” house !!! lol lol i have moved up it the world !!

• realtruraider

Wow, someone didn’t take their crazy pills this morning, talk about delusional…….DAMN

• dplunk

Also specifically said MF hasn’t been turning it over in the red zone.

—————————————————–
    was it MF that threw the 99yrd pick 6 return in camp yesterday? no?

• RAIDERMAN99

How’s that bidding war for JaMoron’s services going, Debo ?

‘Comeback’ right on schedule ?

• Raiderfusion

DPlunk I couldn’t agree with you more, they do publicize it more. I guess what I meant to say is I don’t enjoy the games much, they play absolutely no defense, probably afraid they’ll hurt themselves and their teams for the 2nd half of the season.
    I have a biased against the NBA I feel it’s a weak product. It’s supposed to be a professional sport, and these draftees a so weak fundamentally that they actually bring the game level down when they enter the league. It usually takes them a few years to learn the game. Give me college ball where they’re supposed to be amateurs.

• R8ER MIKE

dplunk Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:35 am
    Also specifically said MF hasn’t been turning it over in the red zone.

—————————————————–
    was it MF that threw the 99yrd pick 6 return in camp yesterday? no?

************************
    he did… but it was Carson Palmers fault !!

• raidertbone

Matt Flynn = the second coming of Scott Mitchell

• RAIDERMAN99

was it MF that threw the 99yrd pick 6 return in camp yesterday? no?
    =======================================
    Yep.

new post, blogettes

• dplunk

R8ER MIKE Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:37 am
    dplunk Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:35 am
    Also specifically said MF hasn’t been turning it over in the red zone.
    —————————————————–
    was it MF that threw the 99yrd pick 6 return in camp yesterday? no?
    ************************
    he did… but it was Carson Palmers fault !!
    ——————————————————