Notes, quotes, observations from Raiders camp

There were still plenty of players missing from Raiders practice Thursday afternoon, but coach Dennis Allen for the first time speculated about the potential return of some of them.

Until Thursday, the only player who Allen conceded would be out awhile is Kaluka Maiava, who was seen on crutches and in a walking boot. Following practice, Allen named three players he thought would practice Friday _ wide receiver Jacoby Ford, left guard Lucas Nix and defensive tackle Stacy McGee.

The Raiders still are not releasing information on what the injuries are. Nix appeared to injure his left knee in practice Monday and was wearing a compression sleeve on his left leg.

Nix opened camp as the starter at left guard, but had given way to Tony Bergstrom the day he was injured. Allen said the two could continue to go back and forth but noted, “I think Tony’s responded. I think he’s answered the bell, and he understands the challenge that’s been set before him. We’ll continue to work and see where it’s out. I don’t think anybody has clearly definitely [separated] themselves for that position yet. We’re going to let it play out until it does.”

– Here’s how Allen assessed the injuries to defensive tackle Pat Sims and offensive tackle Menelik Watson that have kept them out of training camp when asked if their injuries were serious:

“Well, when you say serious, nothing’s going to keep them out for a long period of time. They’re dealing with nagging little injuries. I’m hopeful that we’re going to get both of them back here pretty soon, but nothing season-threatening or anything like that.”

Watson’s absence will make it more difficult for him to mount a challenge for the spot at right tackle currently manned by Khalif Barnes.

“Anytime you’re a rookie and you’re not able to get out here and compete and learn – especially a guy like him that hasn’t played a lot of football – he needs all the reps he can get,” Allen said. “With that being said, he’s working extremely hard to get back out here. Injuries are part of the game. There’s nothing we can do about it other than try to do everything we can to get him rehabbed as fast as possible.”

– Allen essentially ruled out the possibility that center Stefen Wisniewski would switch to guard.

“He is our starting center, he’s done a nice job there,’’ Allen said.

With Alex Parsons out with injury and his left leg in a boot, Andre Gurode worked as the second-team center.

– Tight end Mychal Rivera had a big day in team drills and seven-on-seven sessions on a day where the Raiders played in shorts and shells and took a break after three straight days in pads.

– Former Raiders tackle Lincoln Kennedy was a guest at practice and afterward held an impromptu clinic with tackles Jared Veldheer, Barnes, Willie Smith and Alex Barron, at one point showing them how to lock the arm of a defender while avoiding getting called for holding.

– Cornerback Tracy Porter said he’s looking to switch numbers again before the regular season and said talks were ongoing with Charles Woodson about being compensated for switching from No. 24 to No. 31.

Porter joked that perhaps he could get a five percent in TwentyFour Wines, Woodson’s Napa Valley winery.

Porter still seemed mildly irked by the way the switch was handled. The fact that Porter was listed at No. 31 and Woodson at No. 24 in the Raiders media guide means they club knew about the switch long before he did. At the same time, Porter said, “It’s not like I’m going to leave camp over it or anything.”

– Wide receiver Denarius Moore, who conceded earlier in the week he’d had a crisis of confidence last season, had a strong session Thursday, at one point going up despite tight coverage from Porter and Woodson for a catch from Matt Flynn near the goal line.

“I thought Denarius Moore made a great play down the boundary,” Allen said. “Those are types of plays we expect out of him. I think he’s responding to the challenge.”

– Cornerback Taiwan Jones made a nice defensive play by breaking up a slant pass intended for Andre Holmes, but his ticket to the roster remains his ability to cover kicks.

“It’s been a difficult transition for him, but when it comes down to the roster, he’s one of the best special teams players in this league,” Allen said.

– Allen is in no hurry to make the seemingly inevitable announcement that Flynn will be the Raiders starting quarterback.

“We’ll have a quarterback ready to go, I promise you, when the season starts,” Allen said.

– While teams weren’t exactly clamoring to sign cornerbacks Michael Jenkins or Porter, their presence has made a dramatic upgrade in the position from a year ago, when Ron Bartell and Shawntae Spencer were injuries waiting to happen and weren’t enjoying nearly the success as the men who replaced them.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Marks hair

what did you say you told me rockstar I can’t find it?

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:19 pm
    “So why is Roberta saying Cork said you were banned because of a fake Dr. Roberta screen name”

That is a lie I can attest to that!

You know he is lying “B”
    ******************************************

LMAO….football takes he is lying and even about Cork

• hwnrdr

901.Marks hair Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:20 pm
    what did you say you told me rockstar I can’t find it?

Something about McCloin, or however you spell his name!

• the famous dr robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:17 pm

I was educated in California….think that is way above Indiana overall when it comes to real life……hey hows that special museum there that highlights Johnny Rebel records?
    *******
    Lol. Educated in California. WHERE in California nitwit? My high school is a top flight school. Indiana university.

The things u say demonstrate ur ignorance. Lived in Chicago and LA. A professional.

• DutchRaider77

893.Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:17 pm
    “not hide in mama’s basement living a fantasy that they are a coach”

He has to be an out of work meth addict obsessed with posting here there is no other logical explanation for how often he is here.

__________________________________________________

But he is a medical doctor, right?

• papertiger418

Inonewordraider Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:19 pm
    John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 26m Arm talent between Pryor and Flynn is really not close…Said it before I wld just throw the big fella in w/the 1s and let it ride come wk 1

_______
    why not?

dink and dunk isn’t getting us anywhere, at least we have hope pryor can develop…
    **************************************

Let it play out….I dont think flynn is bad nor is he great

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist was unbanned by Becker because of Dr Slobert, is the real truth.

I will let Purv tell you about it.

• R8ER MIKE

oh bot another day of blog MMA !!!
    ?? or is it WWF ??

• Marks hair

yeah I seen the second post something about McGloin and Wilson.. and Rockstar said he had told me something about it earlier.. but I cant find it under robs mountain of troll posts

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Alright…..so who is flaming who this morning?

• inonewordraider

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 1m
    Janikowski is the Raiders’ all-time leading scorer with 1,318 points.

Expand Reply
    Retweet

Favorite

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 2m
    #Raiders announce K Sebastian Janikowski signed a 4-year extension

• the famous dr robert

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:19 pm

That is a lie I can attest to that!

You know he is lying “B”
    *****
    Oh really?

Per cork:

Just deleted Kingofcal and the two others that just appeared within the past 30 minutes. Banned their IP addressed. Once a new post appears tomorrow, monitor it and let me know if any of these clowns reappear, and I will take action. Good luck.

what did you say you told me rockstar I can’t find it?

***

that the REAL competition at QB was between Wilson & McGloin for 3rd string … not Flynn & Pryor for 1st string or Pryor & Wilson for 2nd string

it’s like this:
    1 – Flynn
    2 – Pryor
    3 – Wilson/McGloin (may the best man win!)

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“But he is a medical doctor, right?”

One day a year Halloween

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:23 pm

oh bot another day of blog MMA !!!
    ?? or is it WWF ??
    ===================================

I thought it was another day of blog WTF?

• StablersNads

Saw question the other day directed at slob that he didn’t answer, but I recall seeing it.

Question was “some idiot posted a goofyazz challenge to meet beech, along with posting an even goofier picture of himself, saying he had the camera ready to take vids and post on facebook.”

I mean we are talking one dopey looking fker.

Wasn’t that you, slob?
    Ok, rephrase.
    That WAS you, slob, and you came across as one pathetic goofball.
    Do you feel as stupid as you came across?

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:21 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:17 pm

*******

**************************************
    Cal St Northridge….ppl come from all over the country to state schools in Cali….its the lifestyle of Cali….and you claim you from Indiana lol eventhough we dont believe it but we shall play along….but Cali style brought you here

• DutchRaider77

Jerry McDonald ‏@Jerrymcd 4m
    Raiders announce 4-year extension with Janikowski through 2017

Jerry McDonald‏@Jerrymcd 4m
    Raiders announce 4-year extension with Janikowski through 2017

***

wow, Reggie has money??

• the famous dr robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:18 pm
    Roberta…..ok you went to top program you say? Fine…..so the great college numbers you put up were?
    ********
    Never said I played football in college. Played baseball.

Roberta if you think education only occurs in a classroom then you dont know much

• bcz24

Seabass signed a 4 year extension!!!!! Buying my 11 jersey as soon as I get my credit cards back!!! LOL

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:25 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:18 pm
    ********
    Never said I played football in college. Played baseball.
    ****************************************

I’m dead lol

• Marks hair

oh well you were just agreeing with me then because I’ve always said its flynn and then prior then a competition because I’m not that high on Wilson.. I didn’t want to draft him

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Jerry McDonald‏@Jerrymcd 4m
    Raiders announce 4-year extension with Janikowski through 2017

***

wow, Reggie has money??
    =======================================

In the future he does. Of course all of us theoretically have money in the future but this deal saves us money this year.

• the famous dr robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:24 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:21 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:17 pm

*******

**************************************
    *********
    Lol. I came here for work and my wife’s family. If course I like Cali.

But u saying u went to a Cali high school like that means its better than an Indiana school shows ur ignorance and tiny world view.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

You sit here all day and all night you pick fights with everyone who will chat fight with you.

Basically you make this blog an unpleasant experience for all here.

I tired ignoring you and I will go back to doing it again after this post I just want “B” to know you were lying.

As you were ass hat!

• the famous dr robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:25 pm
    *********
    My Lord ur stupid.

• the famous dr robert

Silver–u dummy. I NEVER talk to u until u start trying to get my attention. Take ur own advice idiot.

I just posted the email regarding purvis getting banned.

Ur the liar. As usual.

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:28 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:24 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:21 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:17 pm

*******

**************************************
    *********
    Lol. I came here for work and my wife’s family. If course I like Cali.

*******************************

Yeah I am saying that at all levels when talking Cali vs Indiana lol

Roberta is married? Funny the hits keep coming

• inonewordraider

flynns lack of arm strength really has me concerned

put it’s too early to call it a season, so the hope is he turns into gannonesque

• Marks hair

928.. bingo.

@SeyGlenn

Seabass was on the books for $5.1 million this year

any idea what he’ll be making this year, with that restructured deal?

• StablersNads

DutchRaider77 Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:22 pm

893.Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:17 pm
    “not hide in mama’s basement living a fantasy that they are a coach”

__________________________________________________

But he is a medical doctor, right?
    =====
    Of course not.
    It’s not just that medical doctors don’t spell like chit, as slob does, or that medical doctors don’t have the time to post on blogs 12-16 hrs a day, EVERY SINGLE DAY, it’s also that slob admitted posting as raiderrob got him b-slapped so much he changed his name, adding dr to it because it made him feel special.

special like dr. suess special

• the famous dr robert

I love seeing the ignorant telling the educated how dumb they are.

Classic.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    ========================================================

He’s hardly going to admit talking to himself. And he went on some scary late night lunatic rants with 50+ posts/hour. We got along ok when he 1st showed up and still agree football wise more often than not.
    We laughed at Miss Tick together, along with others. But I eventually quit interacting with Miss Tick while Rob interacted more and more and the mistic/rob crap was pretty much trashing this place. I called Rob out on it and we know how he responds to criticism.
    So , long story short, he’s lying.

Marks Hair Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    ****************

Mark usually you seem like a happy guy….lately tho…lot of negativity….sup man? What gives?

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:31 pm
    I love seeing the ignorant telling the educated how dumb they are.

Classic.
    *******************************

HAHAHAHA….highly educated people as you claim you are wont spend countless hours on a blog telling everyone how educated they are

• Dakota

bcz24 Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:25 pm
    +++++

Reggie knows how to put butts in the seats!

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:29 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:25 pm
    *********
    My Lord ur stupid.
    *******************************

Wow…..Roberta….its worse than I even thought….you are delusional

• troll hunter

#917 Dr. Rob would not do something as moronic and post his pic. Come on people he is doctor for gods sake…..

• the famous dr robert

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Yeah I am saying that at all levels when talking Cali vs Indiana lol
    *********
    Coming from someone who’s never been to Indiana.

Ur the classic little mind. U think ur block is the greatest block in the world. Ur school is the greatest. Ur town is the greatest.

But u have no knowledge.

Imbecile.

• lefty12

nonewordraider Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:30 pm
    flynns lack of arm strength really has me concerned

————————-
    Just wondering,but have you been watching him in practice?

Roberta….personally many want you off this blog but not the B@uce…..I rather enjoy the fail jobs that are your posts…..PLEASE DONT STOP PLEASE DONT STOP PLEASE DONT STOP PLEASE DONT STOP PLEASE DONT STOP!

flynns lack of arm strength really has me concerned

***

@inonewordraider

not me. We’ve known he has a popgun. I’ve been telling you guys that he’s a pretty boy like Tony Romo with the skillset of Bruce Gradkowski

if he has the brains or Pennington or the leadership of Gannon, I think we’ll have a fighting chance. He just needs to be accurate and avoid turnovers. Easier said that done, I know – but don’t expect many bombs

Al Saunders (Air Coryell) playbook isn’t being used any longer. He’s mainly just coaching the TE’s these days

• Marks hair

you took I was unhappy away from that post?

but if you mean some of my negative posts in general about the upcoming season I’m just calling it how I see it.. albeit its on paper right now I haven’t seen this team play together so my opinion could change quite a bit..

but yeah right now I’m a little down we seem like we have a ton of change, new players and some real mediocre players.. I’m looking at a six to eight wins season if things go OK.. and that doesn’t really make me happy

• Dakota

When I hear that guys in the secondary are making plays it makes me think our QBs suck…..when I hear that the QBs are making plays it makes me think our secondary sucks lol.

Yeah, I know…..glass half empty.

Troll Hunter Says: