Raiders camp notes and links

Some notes, quotes and links from the Raiders practice Friday:

Looks like the Raiders will be looking at some more defensive tackles. Vance Walker was back at practice for the second consecutive day, but Pat Sims still hasn’t practiced, Stacy McGee came back from an undisclosed injury but did not finish and newly signed Myles Wade was injured.

“I think that’s something we’ve got to continue to look at,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. “We brought in Myles Wade, unfortunately he was injured today, so we’ve got to keep going and make sure we have enough bodies to come out here and practice with.”

– Impressive day from running back Rashad Jennings, who looks nothing like the 2.8 yards per carry runner he was in Jacksonville last season.

“He’s done some good things for us,” Allen said. “One of the challenges you have for Rashad is … Rashad’s a big back, we want Rashad to play like a big back, and that will be something we’re going to look at as we go into the preseason is him being that big physical presence that we expect him to be.”

Jennings moved the pile in a third-and-1 drill and later described that situation as being “like a carrot in front of a bunny. You just go get it.”

– Officials on their annual tour were at the Raiders facility and will be there through Sunday. The practice was so clean Allen counted only one flag thrown. Officials spent much of the time conversing with players and mostly coaches, informing of them how rules will be enforced.

Some of the rule changes aren’t applicable in practice anyway, in particular the rule which won’t allow running backs in the tackle box to lower their head and pile into an opposing defender.

“They’re obviously not going to see everything since they don’t have the full crew out here,” Allen said. “It’s part of the deal. We bring the officials out, it’s good for them, they get some work, but it’s also good for us because we get a chance to have them explain some of the new rules and some of the things that they’re going to emphasize this year. ”

– Tackle Alex Barron, considered a major bust in St. Louis as a first-round draft pick, has been dominating in some blocking drills _ he’s been particularly rough on rookie end David Bass _ and has played well enough to get some first team reps at right tackle to push Khalif Barnes with Menelik Watson still not having practiced.

“Well I think we’re going to let that thing play out, but obviously I’ve been impressed with the things Alex Barron has done and that’s been a nice surprise for us,” Allen said. “He’s a guy that’s kind of getting that second chance and he’s taking advantage of it.”

Allen hasn’t felt the need to to talk to his team aobut the situation in Philadelphia with white wide receiver Riley Cooper getting caught on video using racial epithets at a Kenny Chesney concert.

“We haven’t addressed it. Obviously, that’s a situation that you don’t want anything to be divisive in the locker room,” Allen said. “I think we all understand that we have a group of young men that all come from different backgrounds, and we have to respect all kinds of different backgrounds, whether it be race, religion, whatever the case may be.”

– One of the items on the NFL video presentation on rule changes was, ahem, the elimination of the tuck rule. Charles Woodson, Lincoln Kennedy and Zack Crockett had a few things to say about that in this Bay Area News Group web story.

– Place kicker Sebastian Janikowski’s timing couldn’t have been better for getting a contract extension. The Raiders may have as much as $50 million in cap space this year. Janikowski talked about his new deal in this Bay Area News Group web story.

Links and Tweets can be found on my Twitter page

Check in with Steve Corkran tomorrow at this site and on Twitter on @CorkOnTheNFL

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• willy91137

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 11:26 am
    Hayward to Long Beach? Long drive.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes it was especially on Highway 99 NO Highway 5 yet

• Myopinion

Raider o,
    Didnt mean to forget u earlier, cool dude, except u think a man is judged on his college education. Important for sure, but some of the fumbest people I met were highly educated. I treat a bumb and the prez, with equal respect, were all just dealt a different hand of cards.
    Just something to think about.

Ha ha, some loser stole my russel jersey,from the jobsite, I dont wear the white oned, cause theyre usually ruined after 1st wear, I gave away my moss when he was still a raider,hated him.

• Raiderfusion

Raid O; I’m sure your Dad and I would get along great, my son call me an old fart too. In fact I call myself one also. But I got up early today and played 18 holes of golf at 8 over and a left knee that I’m going to the hospital to have removed next thursday. So all in all this Old Fart is doing OK. Thank God for golf carts.

• Myopinion

And I mispell dumbest. in my rant about were smart too.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Pink Floyd Is anybody out there?”

Sorry I just saw that “Hells Bells”

Tell Dell I said hey!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Myopinion Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 11:44 am
    Raider o,
    Just something to think about.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thx bro.
    I try not to judge people. I like to joke with Chico, make fun of other colleges, but I don’t think a person should be judged based on his college education. I met a lot of Monkeys with certificates. Some had Masters and PHDs.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Myopinion,

And I know a few people who don’t have HS diplomas that are very intelligent and well rounded.
    Btw, I didn’t graduate HS (GED), and didn’t get my BS tell I was in my 30s.

• Raiderfusion

What does everyone feel @Sapp going into the HOF on the first go round, when there are still some great Raiders not in: How about Tim Brown, or Tom Flores( only coach to win 2 SBs), Cliff Branch has way better stats than Lynn Swan, or how about the greatest punter in NFL history Ray Guy. Sapp is a clown compared to these guys. I’m not saying he doesn’t belong in the HOF, just saying not first ballot. As far as I’m concerned he was a gutless turd for the way he dogged it when he played for us.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Raiderfusion Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 11:46 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Good for you. Good luck with your operation, and God bless you with health and time to see a few more SBs.

• The Big Banana

Now regarding Alex Barron, I’m all for reclamation projects, it used to be a Raiders specialty but I have to wonder if he’s looking good because of the players he’s facing, Rookie David Bass, Jack Crawford and Jason Hunter, none of those guys is a good pass-rusher.

—–

And on the other end of the line, you have Andre Carter eating Veldheer’s lunch. What to make of it? Carter looking goog or Veldheer struggling?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I don’t complain a lot about Guy, but Branch and Flores make me mad. Tim Brown will get in.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 18h Al Davis hit on 2 HOFers in a 3 year period with 2 first round picks between 98-2000: Charles Woodson 1998 and Sea Bass 2000.. Not bad

• Myopinion

Maybe I misread the poster, I just thought I sawone day someone putting themselves on this pedistool for being educated, and talking down on eberyone else, sorry bro,u do seem very openminded and a good dude. Was working graveyards, been kind of tempermental and spacey.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 18h I love how Sea Bass extended his contract – essentially saying he’ll end his career as a #Raider. He’s Oaklands Derek Jeter,

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 19h Wanna see Flynn/TP vs a live rush first “@twonYBAB: @JohnMiddlekauff any record prediction for this season after today’s assessment?”

hn Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 19h Tony Sparano just works in silver/black. He will bring a toughness upfront, McFadden stays healthy- theyll be able to run the rock

• The Big Banana

Sapp is a POS. that’s how I feel. It’s BS he gets in so easy.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Sapp was a great player, but I dislike the guy. I can’t believe the NFLN hired that idiot and kept him.
    I rather watch M Irvin.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 19h Sio Moore jumped out to me today EXPLOSIVE in some pass rush drills,shld be a good sub rusher. 14.5 sacks the last 2 yrs in college #Raiders

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 23h Stoned Sio Moore today multiple times “@VicTafur: Allen said he is impressed with T Alex Barron. “Been a nice surprise.” #Raiders”

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2 Aug Arm talent between Pryor and Flynn is really not close…Said it before I wld just throw the big fella in w/the 1s and let it ride come wk 1

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2 Aug Just saw a little pistol w/ Pryor, I wld imagine the #Raiders aren’t the only team who will experiment this year with the pistol

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2 Aug #Raiders Charles Woodson just had a very nice PIck 6 – looked like his old self

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2 Aug #Raiders OLB Sio Moore shld land the QB this season if he can develop some consistent pass rush moves, has very good up field burst!

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2 Aug Two OL who stood out in 1 on 1s were LT veldheer #stud, and OC wisniewski He is strong, OLB Sio Moore is explosive yet Alex Barron won twice

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“What does everyone feel @Sapp going into the HOF”

He spent 8 years dominating at what he did then he spent 4 years stealing Al Davis’s money. Then left town flapping his fat mouth about what a dysfunctional place Oakland was. Then went bankrupt.

I hate him I think it a atrocious how network people put people like Sapp who cant speak properly in positions where they are asked to talk. I cant understand anything he says its like he has a mouth full of bubblegum.

I guess the moral of the story is if you can put together 8 years of great football you can get into the HOF (regardless of what you did at the end of your career) In other words a 1/2 a career is good enough to get you into Canton.

• PlunkforHOF

Sapp makes me sick. I just recently got NFLN and hate seeing his goofy a$$ there. As for people who should be in the HOF, please refer to my handle.

TWO! YES, TWO SUPER BOWLS.

• Raiderfusion

Raid O: MY son had to get his GED also, and he didn’t get serious about school until he focused on what he wanted to do with his life and than he really bore down and has not let up and is doing quite well. Some people take a little time. We all move at our own pace, I’ve never been able to figure out why I did so poor in math in High School, but math was my 2nd major in college. I still shake my head over that one.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2 Aug Problem I see with the Raiders… Have a bunch of vertical threats on the outside but a QB in Flynn with a below avg arm

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2 Aug 7th round pick WR Bryce Butler is getting some reps with the ones. Definitely looks the part, not sure he can do it on game days tho

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2 Aug Healthy McFadden equals a special player… Just plays at a different speed than every one. Key word being healthy!

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

John Middlekauff
    @JohnMiddlekauff
    Former Philadelphia Eagles Scout, NFL & Draft analyst

• PlunkforHOF

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Wow.. interesting… Sure would like to see this for myself.

• willy91137

Denny Green says the Raiders will be worse this year than they were last year

and the reason why is because the got rid of all of our good players I don’t know of any good players would get rid of

there who we thought they were crown the ass

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 12:01 pm

John Middlekauff
    @JohnMiddlekauff
    Former Philadelphia Eagles Scout, NFL & Draft analyst

==========================================

So even though Pryor can’t hit the broad side of a barn with half his passes, we’re supposed to just throw him out there vs. Indy and hope for the best?

That’s completely inane.

• Myopinion

They tell me a man in europe who ceeates things with his hands would be highly respected, true?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Denny is a heckof a coach. The man knows foozeball

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

That’s completely inane.

——————–

reports in camp even by cork he has been sharp and accurate.. probaly missing as many throws as flynn. FLynn has thrown INTS, and fumbled snaps

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 30 Jul “@FuriousGeorgeCA: @CorkOnTheNFL How’s Pryor looking today?” — Tall, fit, athletic. Oh, football-wise. Pretty sharp overall.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

• PlunkforHOF

Holy Moly.. Tiger OWNS this Firestone course.

• willy91137

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 12:00 pm
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes and Jim Plunkett can’t get in the Hall of Fame

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Raiderfusion Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We were poor, so I focused on work when I was 16. I was working a lot of hours, so I was too tired to go to school. When I got older, my father had cancer, so I took care of him, and it was hard to go to college (I was 23 when I started). I met my wife and had a child after I graduated from community college, I had to work a lot to support my family, so I didn’t attend a university till I was 29. I did things backward.lol

• Raiderfusion

Phillip Wheeler was the only good player we really lost, and we got a hell of a lot more in Free Agency. Seymour, Huff and Kelly were total screw ups that last 2-3 years.

Denny Green sounding more like Sapp by the minute.

• Myopinion

If flynn doesnt pull away, with his accuracy or smarts, no way you dont go with pryor, just a little better or equal, dont put him anywhere near pryors big play ability, and the effects he has on the d, to help give our whole offense an advantage

• Myopinion

The best thing of pryors start was the emotion on all sides of the ball, a worthless last game, even da was all goofy and smiley .
    That has to count for something especially at qb

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Yes and Jim Plunkett can’t get in the Hall of Fame”

Or Ray Guy or Cliff Branch or Tom Flores or Lester Hayes….The list goes on!

Pisses you off when you see a turd like Sapp go in that fast.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

BBL gents.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Raider O Says:

Myopinion,

Btw, I didn’t graduate HS (GED), and didn’t get my BS tell I was in my 30s.
    ======================================================

Weren’t Bill Gates and Steve Jobs HS Dropouts? And isn’t everybody in Congress a lawyer with at least a 4 yr degree? Except for the occasional astronaut who actually could handle real math and science?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Raiderfusion Says:
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Raider O Says:
    =================================================

Likewise. Removed?

• willy91137

why isn’t Cliff branch in the Hall of Fame that guy was so fast Stabler said that he can out run some of the cars in the parking lot

and that Super Bowl against the Redskins when Marcus Allen reversed his field and went the other way next time you see that play you’ll notice Cliff branch catches up to Marcusen and block somebody that guy was fast

the first year we got him he dropped every ball that thrown to him I thought oh no another fast wide receiver they can’t catch the ball
    but the next year hem and Kenny Stabler got on the same page and it was lights out that that guy belongs in the Hall of Fame

• willy91137

Raiders won’t get in this Hall of Fame until some of them guys that vote died

Flores the first Mexican head coach won two super Bowls was the first quarterback of the Raiders Parcells getting in but Tom Flores everybody said he wasn’t the coach he was just the messenger how many super Bowls did Parcells win just one right

• Raiderfusion

Raid O: Even though it took you a while I’m sure your family is very proud of you. Sounds like you have a wonderful family I wish you the best of everything, and I’ll bet you have a lot appreciation for what you’ve accomplished.

• Myopinion

I wasnt trying to be a baby, could really careless, and here in the us its not very high on the food chain. Most of my competition is from mexico. I make my money in tile, and I make art furniture,crappy living but after ten years, worth a good wage, hard to really do anything else. And ive found a way to be happy poor. Life is good. The very wealthy, wealthy, are a different breed it seems, havent found many I walk away from respecting. insincere. But I hate to stereotype. When I die I wanna be missed.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

PlunkforHOF Says:

Wow.. interesting… Sure would like to see this for myself.
    ===================================================

Me too. But I’ve never known John Middlekauff to be wrong.
    Of course, I’ve never known him to be right, either. Who the ‘F’ is John Middlekauff

• Plunketthead

You make tiles? Saltillo?

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 12:07 pm

That’s completely inane.

——————–

======================================

Reports I’ve been reading say Flynn is consistent. Pryor, OTOH, will have two great throws and follow it up with three or four cruddy ones.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Myopinion Says:
    When I die I wanna be missed.
    ========================================================

Just having that sentiment means it’ll likely come to pass.

• Raiderfusion

I’m hoping Sparano is working his magic and turning OLIne into an outstanding unit. I can’t remember a time the Raiders didn’t have outstanding to great OLines. When the OLine is good it makes the other parts of the offense that much better.

I also hope that if he truly turns this line into an outstanding unit the Raiders sign him long term. Also he’s been a head coach, so he should help to settle things down for DA and help him to be a decent head coach.