Raiders camp notes and links

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 at 4:53 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Some notes, quotes and links from the Raiders practice Friday:

Looks like the Raiders will be looking at some more defensive tackles. Vance Walker was back at practice for the second consecutive day, but Pat Sims still hasn’t practiced, Stacy McGee came back from an undisclosed injury but did not finish and newly signed Myles Wade was injured.

“I think that’s something we’ve got to continue to look at,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said. “We brought in Myles Wade, unfortunately he was injured today, so we’ve got to keep going and make sure we have enough bodies to come out here and practice with.”

– Impressive day from running back Rashad Jennings, who looks nothing like the 2.8 yards per carry runner he was in Jacksonville last season.

“He’s done some good things for us,” Allen said. “One of the challenges you have for Rashad is … Rashad’s a big back, we want Rashad to play like a big back, and that will be something we’re going to look at as we go into the preseason is him being that big physical presence that we expect him to be.”

Jennings moved the pile in a third-and-1 drill and later described that situation as being “like a carrot in front of a bunny. You just go get it.”

– Officials on their annual tour were at the Raiders facility and will be there through Sunday. The practice was so clean Allen counted only one flag thrown. Officials spent much of the time conversing with players and mostly coaches, informing of them how rules will be enforced.

Some of the rule changes aren’t applicable in practice anyway, in particular the rule which won’t allow running backs in the tackle box to lower their head and pile into an opposing defender.

“They’re obviously not going to see everything since they don’t have the full crew out here,” Allen said. “It’s part of the deal. We bring the officials out, it’s good for them, they get some work, but it’s also good for us because we get a chance to have them explain some of the new rules and some of the things that they’re going to emphasize this year. ”

– Tackle Alex Barron, considered a major bust in St. Louis as a first-round draft pick, has been dominating in some blocking drills _ he’s been particularly rough on rookie end David Bass _ and has played well enough to get some first team reps at right tackle to push Khalif Barnes with Menelik Watson still not having practiced.

“Well I think we’re going to let that thing play out, but obviously I’ve been impressed with the things Alex Barron has done and that’s been a nice surprise for us,” Allen said. “He’s a guy that’s kind of getting that second chance and he’s taking advantage of it.”

Allen hasn’t felt the need to to talk to his team aobut the situation in Philadelphia with white wide receiver Riley Cooper getting caught on video using racial epithets at a Kenny Chesney concert.

“We haven’t addressed it. Obviously, that’s a situation that you don’t want anything to be divisive in the locker room,” Allen said. “I think we all understand that we have a group of young men that all come from different backgrounds, and we have to respect all kinds of different backgrounds, whether it be race, religion, whatever the case may be.”

– One of the items on the NFL video presentation on rule changes was, ahem, the elimination of the tuck rule. Charles Woodson, Lincoln Kennedy and Zack Crockett had a few things to say about that in this Bay Area News Group web story.

– Place kicker Sebastian Janikowski’s timing couldn’t have been better for getting a contract extension. The Raiders may have as much as $50 million in cap space this year. Janikowski talked about his new deal in this Bay Area News Group web story.

Links and Tweets can be found on my Twitter page

Check in with Steve Corkran tomorrow at this site and on Twitter on @CorkOnTheNFL

• Myopinion

No, I dont make saltillo, but I could put tile on the moon if u pay for gas.
    I make like whatever u could think of furniture. Made nephew a rockin horse(dinosaur) built it like u would build an arch or wall,then carvred all the body,out of plaster,eyes,teeth,clawsscales,very realistic.
    I could make u like a custom fishtankstand or a raider tv stand, headboards etc,its my interest after smoking,lol

• willy91137

I have an eighth grade education I want three days my freshman year to high schoo

everybody had nice clothes I did live in a tarpaper shack out in the country I had three guns and a dog I worked in a nursery out in the field for three years I was a foreman and I got a 1.25 an hour I went to work in a body and fender shop for a dollar and hr a I had been building a 4o ford I worked in that body shop for two years in the fall of 1959 I packed up my 40 Ford and moved to LA start working in a body shops I was down there for four years and me and a buddy of mine decided we’d move up north so we moved to San Leandro I got a job in a body shop in Oakland
    and worked there for six years than in 1972 I started my own shop
    I had it for 23 years I sold it in 1997 that ran a shop in San Ramon for 10 years
    now work one day a week makes me spending money I have had a wonderful life
    always say I have a college education the College of trial and error

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 12:42 pm
    PlunkforHOF Says:
    John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2 Aug Arm talent between Pryor and Flynn is really not close…Said it before I wld just throw the big fella in w/the 1s and let it ride come wk 1

Wow.. interesting… Sure would like to see this for myself.
    ===================================================

Me too. But I’ve never known John Middlekauff to be wrong.
    Of course, I’ve never known him to be right, either. Who the ‘F’ is John Middlekauff
    **++*********

Lol. That was good.

• Myopinion

I try and talk raider football, noone cares but regular im not so bad people actually converse. Interesting? ill try to step my raider talk up.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

PlunkforHOF Says:

Sapp makes me sick. I just recently got NFLN and hate seeing his goofy a$$ there. As for people who should be in the HOF, please refer to my handle.

TWO! YES, TWO SUPER BOWLS.
    =========================================================

But was he ever MVP in one?

• the famous dr robert

Willy—-we have taken some shots at each other but u have grown on me. Good story.

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Reports I’ve been reading say Flynn is consistent. Pryor, OTOH, will have two great throws and follow it up with three or four cruddy ones.
    ¥*********
    This is what I (and others) have predicted. It wasn’t even a very difficult prediction based on tape.

• PlunkforHOF

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    PlunkforHOF Says:

TWO! YES, TWO SUPER BOWLS.
    =========================================================

But was he ever MVP in one?

################################

1980

• Plunketthead

That’s awesome making stuff with your hands and if your trade is tilesetting, more power to you as well.

PlunkforHOF Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 12:03 pm

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Wow.. interesting… Sure would like to see this for myself.
    *********
    We are about to.

• Plunketthead

Game of the week = DODGERS

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 3m

#Raiders Olson on why QB Matt McGloin is getting more snaps than 4th-rounder Tyler Wilson the last couple of days: http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/49a8ef17-7d09-4a22-8cc5-91a9fa8f3bfa/?source=twitter
    Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 8m

#Raiders OC Greg Olson, at this point, has Matt Flynn and Terrelle Pryor 1-2 and Tyler Wilson and Matt McGloin “in competition” for No. 3

nice to hear about Rashad Jennings doing his thing.

Go RJ !!

• the famous dr robert

This stuff about “if everything’s close, go wit pryors big play potential” stuff is humorous to me.

The problem is ur assuming he will be decent. The truth is u may get one or two big plays and a ton of awfulness.

The first three quarters of week 17 were horrid. U can’t win that way

Now get up u dead horse! I’m not beating u yet!!

• Plunketthead

PUIG cant bunt!! great throw

• Myopinion

Thanks plunk, still wish I was a doctor or lawyer,had a lot of money. But wtf. Good day guys.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

PlunkforHOF Says:

PlunkforHOF Says:

TWO! YES, TWO SUPER BOWLS.
    =========================================================

But was he ever MVP in one?

################################

1980
    ====================================================

You know I knew that. Watched the Game. But with your handle, I had to hand it off to you!

• the famous dr robert

My own (possibly missdick-like) theory in why McGloin is getting snaps is that they’re not convinced that Pryor is a qb.

Since they will obviously keep Wilson, if they are entertaining converting Pryor at all, they need to treat McGloin as more than ur standard #4 TC arm and see if he’s worthy of the #3 spot.

Now this might be wildly wrong. If Pryor looks anything like a real qb, then that idea will be out.

But it’s a theory that’s lurking.

• 0ak r8rs

The Big Banana Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 9:20 am
    They’re not very selective where it comes to looks. Maybe that was Amy Trask’s influence. Hue Hefner for CEO?

@@@@@@@

Jeez. Was Amy Trask in charge of the cheerleaders too? I had no idea how much we would actually miss her.

• PlunkforHOF

I was gonna say… Man, Llamaman tossed me a softball!

• the famous dr robert

What happens if Flynn comes out strong and solid, looking like a clear starter and Pryor stinks? What if he goes 5-15?

Then in game #2, more of the same?

Are u telling me the staff is still going with him as the #2? Or even as a qb?

At that point, they may decide he simply has no future at qb and try to switch him.

I’m yelling u this is a real possibility.

• the famous dr robert

On the flip side, if Flynn stinks and Pryor looks good, u will hear me calling for him to start.

• the famous dr robert

But if Flynn rocks and Pryor sucks, I doing very much any if the hard core Pryor Brigade will admit its even happening.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 1:18 pm

=====================================

They’ll blame Olson, DA and Flip in that order.

• Plunketthead

Power job/money can just be more headaches and stress and misery. Tired bones, dirty clothes and a well done job always brought me satisfaction and when I got old and wise I learned the fine art of contentment.

Construction was real good to me even if the D of C did bend us over and destroy most trades the past couple decades

• RaidO

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    —————————

You hope Pryor sucks. You are hoping that he fails. That has been your mo on this blog form the beginning.
    Aug 9th we will see whats up.

• RaidO

*from

• the famous dr robert

@CorkOnTheNFL: “@seangrogan2: @CorkOnTheNFL @PhelpsMike If he impresses enough, can they keep him and cut Wilson ?” — Don’t see Wilson being one moved.

@CorkOnTheNFL: “@jraider1297: @CorkOnTheNFL @seangrogan2 @PhelpsMike Would Pryor be cut if McGloin impresses enough? Traded maybe?” — A possibility, yes.

Whaddya know.

RaidO Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 1:21 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    —————————

Aug 9th we will see whats up.
    *********
    U say that no matter what I actually say.

I say I don’t hope he sucks or fails. But I think it’s likely.

Big difference. But u refuse to see things honestly

Ur one if those guys who is convinced u know more about what I think than I do.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Vic Tafur

“I am just trying to light a fire under both of them,” OIson said. “Matt has had some great practices and we decided to shake it up and put him at No. 3. But there’s a long way to go.”
    ==================================================

McGloin was tweeted about, but barely. Because of preconceptions and expectations of the observers?
    If so, makes ya wonder about other observations, doesn’t it?

• the famous dr robert

@CorkOnTheNFL: “@scottODell3: @CorkOnTheNFL @Feroldi_4 What about a pearl jam reference?” — Don’t poke the Tiger before noon, Pal.
    *********

Lol.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

PlunkforHOF Says:
    I was gonna say… Man, Llamaman tossed me a softball!
    =================================================

My pleasure.

• the famous dr robert

Several of the tweeters are full of sh1t.

• Plunketthead

If “they” don’t think TP will fit the scheme and the future then now is the best time to trade him or move on.

From what I gather reading twits McGloin has been steady all camp long and everyone else has been all over the place.

Heres what Tafur said

Too bad Matt and Tyler got the small hand gene

• Plunketthead

Several of the tweeters are full of sh1t.

Not to mention what the Reginater said about our very own Cork. Something about a scouting job

• the famous dr robert

Gonna be interesting to see how much each qb plays Friday.

My bet is they stretch Flynn out. First half.

Pryor gets third quarter. Wilson gets fourth.

• The Big Banana

So even though Pryor can’t hit the broad side of a barn with half his passes, we’re supposed to just throw him out there vs. Indy and hope for the best?

That’s completely inane.

——

Really, the broad side if a barn? You people and your hatred towards some of our players. SMH

Plunketthead Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    Several of the tweeters are full of sh1t.

******
    What was said?

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Gonna be interesting to see how much each qb plays Friday.

My bet is they stretch Flynn out. First half.

Pryor gets third quarter. Wilson gets fourth.

==================================

My guess:

Flynn starts and goes to mid-second quarter.

Pryor takes over and goes to the beginning of the fourth.

McGloin and/or Wilson gets the fourth quarter, giving a much better idea of their pecking order.

• the famous dr robert

Banana—dude. Pryor has serious accuracy issues. It’s not hate. It’s just the truth.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Plunketthead Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    Several of the tweeters are full of sh1t.

******
    What was said?

==================================

Reggie said in an interview (without naming anyone specific) that if the beat writers were any good at player evaluations, they’d be scouts.

Oh. Lol.

• the famous dr robert

Most sports writers are simply fans with a journalism degree.

They may be good at evaluation or not so good.

That’s why I ignore many of them and appreciate the good ones.

• Crawfish Joe

@S&B1Rules: #Allen decision at QB starter wont be easy# raiders.com
    Details Tweet Retweet Favorite More
    @S&B1Rules: #Pryor looks awesome# raiders.com
    Details Tweet Retweet Favorite More

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

The Big Banana Says:
    =======================================================

Well, he didn’t say from the inside!

• Myopinion

Agree plunk. On the something special about a hard days work.

Last post if da lets pryor go for 3unknown pocket guys, I will lose faith in da all together. Pryor at his worst is a faster better passer than tebow. And da if anyone should know thats not a bad,if all else fails option. Unless he gets a canpasss deal, I personally would be pizzed

practice in 70 mins, eh?

• Plunketthead

I thought Reg implied he was talking about cork without saying it?

• the famous dr robert

Friday will hopefully tell us everything we need to know.

What will suck is if we go away from the game with mixed results from both.

Then another week of arguing.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Plunketthead Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    Several of the tweeters are full of sh1t.

******
    What was said?
    ====================================================

Paraphrasing, ‘the mediots don’t know sh1t’. time will tell who’s right.