Raiders sign Seabass to extension

Some quick hits from Friday morning’s practice session:

– The Raiders announced the signing of place kicker Sebastian Janikowski to a four-year extension following practice. Janikowski told reporters he hopes to retire a Raider and that is relieved a deal got done.

Timing was on Janikowski’s side, given that the Raiders have ample cap space next season. In Shane Lechler’s case, the Raiders had zero room in his walk year.

Janikowski said general manager Reggie McKenzie called in the offseason and expressed a desire to get a deal done.

Other key players who could be targeted for extensions with expiring deals include left tackle Jared Veldheer, defensive end Lamarr Houston and running back Darren McFadden. There are a number of new players on one-year deals as well should the Raiders determine they fit in to future plans.

– A strong performance from running back Rashad Jennings, particularly in short-yardage. Jennings has heavy feet, the ability to break tackles and could end up being a solid red-zone and third-and-1 option.

– Wide receiver Brice Butler had a strong showing, catching a short pass from Flynn and juking cornerback Tracy Porter on a nice catch-and-run play.

– Free safety Charles Woodson made a diving intercepted off a deflected pass from Flynn that went off the hands of tight end David Ausberry.

– Cornerback Taiwan Jones also had a deflection-interception, but later was victimized on a third-and-1 play when fullback Jamize Olawale got loose on a circle route, with Matt McGloin hitting him in stride for a big gainer.

– Remaining out of practice for the Raiders, among others, were guard Lucas Nix, wide receiver/return specialist Jacoby Ford, running back Latavius Murray and defensive end Lamarr Houston.

Returning to practice was defensive tackle Stacy McGee. McGee didn’t finish however, and newly acquired Myles Wade was injured also, meaning the Raiders will be on the market again for defensive tackles.

– NFL officials were at practice and will hold presentations for both the media and the players on rule changes and points of emphasis. Among the rule changes that will be of particular interest to Woodson _ the elimination of the tuck rule.

– Special teams coach Bobby April is a stickler for executing a kickoff return block at the 25-yarfd line instead of the 20-yard line, as one Raiders player found out in direct terms.

– Quarterback Tyler Wilson seems to be getting fewer snaps. One one play he fumbled a center snap, then attempted to throw over the middle, with the batted ball being intercepted by Jones.

– Cornerback D.J. Hayden remains in a red jersey and unable to truly mix it up in coverage, and it showed on one completion to tight end Brian Leonhardt when he was only able to make a half-hearted swipe at knocking the ball loose.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• elraidmanhattan

Love you nation guys, good responses, i know wilson sticks based on my game view of him, but nice to hear all of your opinions

• Just Fire Baby

Serious question…isn’t a player considered ‘part of the field’ ?

****************************

So what if you bobble a fly ball for a second the ball is dead?

Just like football, can’t hit the ground.

• Raider E

Priest,

Why do you always bail like someone has direspected you? The fact is that alot of us in here have legitimate debates about Raider Football.

One Nation

• JLofty

“We are last years Cleveland Browns or worse. Maybe the KC Chiefs if our running game isn’t formidable. That could be the saving grace (running game). But it has to be top 5 for us to be decent.” BHP

The Chiefs last year had the 5th best running attack in the league I believe.
    Soooo we probably can’t even rely on that…

Man Priest, you must be getting old if you can’t even find hope in July/eary Aug. Come on we haven’t played a snap and only been practicing for 4 days. You have 20 more weeks to get all depressed about the ’13 Raiders….

• RaiderLen

Raider E Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:00 pm
    Who gives a damn about Wilson or Mcgloin?

This a Pryor vs. Flynn battle to run our team for 2013.

May the best QB win.
    ————————
    Raider E, hope you’re savin up for the financial beating you’re gonna take after DHB flames.

• elraidmanhattan

Like Reggie, like what he is creating here, screw NFL network, screw Jaws the guy who watched every throw cutler made in college and yes a loser, screw Ross Tucker who said 3 months ago that Raiders are worse team in NFL

• Just Fire Baby

Not sure how our LB’s are so young.

Aren’t they a lot older than they have been in years past?

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:01 pm

elraidmanhattan Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Please someone let me know that in no way can Tyler be cut, I would be dumbfounded, seriously not overreacting but damn i have watched him he is going to be good.

============================================

No, he won’t be cut. He’s getting no snaps because Flynn and Pryor are getting all of them, which is frankly the way it should be with a new offense and two QBs who don’t have much starting experience: they need the reps.
    ===============================================

They’re going to cut Tyler Wilson after 6 practices? Especially when he looked pretty good out there? What have I said about him? He looks very good, just needs to get bigger and stronger and is not up to the speed of the pro game. All of that will come with time. Right now the team needs to get ready for the lst preseason game and that means a lot of Flynn and Pryor. I am sure some of you guys will be thrilled.

• RaiderLen

Serious question…isn’t a player considered ‘part of the field’ ?
    ————————————–
    I would say not. Off the head, off the glove.

• RaiderLen

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 3:56 pm
    Raider E Says:
    If a baseball has alot of spin on it in its downward trajectory it can just skip right off your body with no pain at all.
    ====================================================

Yeah, but how about the guy the baseball hit?
    ———————————–
    Leave it to P man to find the angle. lol

• Raider E

Len,

My moola is sitting comfortably in my savings account. I wouldn’t bet it if I didn’t have it, Playa.

The bet was $20 with you righy? Im sure it was. I’m just seeking confirmation.

Yards and catches only?

• Gdog

The ‘tuck rule’ simply doesn’t justify the call reversal. The slow motion replay footage that Coleman watched should have been sufficient to convince him that the ‘tuck’ was completed. Even if he wasn’t convinced of that, there certainly wasn’t enough evidence to reverse the original call.

>>>>

This is the only thing I bring up when arguing the rule… the CBS? camera’s nearly missed the entire play. I watched the live broadcast tape frame by frame.

The end zone cameraman which would have provided the ONLY clear view of whether he complete the “tuck” was way off the mark… the rest of the views made it look like he was still in the process… which is why “god” Walt Coleman changed the play. He has played god in every game he has reffed… he thinks he see’s something so that is how he rules. I’ve seen it time after time in games he reffed. The “indisputable evidence” rule is meaningless to him. He is god… he makes the judgements… its a travesty. And the NFL refuses to do anything about it besides back him up at every turn…

• RAIDERMAN99

Serious question…isn’t a player considered ‘part of the field’ ?

****************************

So what if you bobble a fly ball for a second the ball is dead?

Just like football, can’t hit the ground.
    =====================================
    Don’t understand what you’re saying.

Please clarify, if your bruised mitt allows you to type.

• Plunketthead

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:06 pm
    I played on a Bay Area Legion team that had three guys drafted (J-Roll, Jose Ortiz from Hayward High and Todd Eagle from Albany High) and also had Joe Rudi’s kid on it.

(((((((((((((

Impressive. I was gonna brag about playing LL with Jim but you got me beat. You or your team had to be pretty good to play legion, didn’t they?

• elraidmanhattan

I think we are going 6-10 and with a solid base to grow from, we will be damn competitive which even with uncle Hue we were bombed in games. Next season we make a killing in fa, and draft then as i mentioned many times 2014 we become relevant

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Priest is just bailing because Pryor won’t be our starting QB. He’s been going on ad nauseum all offseason about how Pryor would prove in camp that he was one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL today blah blah blah, and is now butthurt that it ain’t happening.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

lefty12 Says:
    JLofty-I don’t believe it was we don’t want the Raiders to win as much as it was we DO WANT the Patriots to win-no matter who they played.
    ========================================================

But when them with a conscience considered the ethics of such an action, they saw it was the the Raiders and said, ‘Do it!’.

• Just Fire Baby

I bet Thec $50 Ford wouldn’t make the week 1 roster (IR is a win for me; as is a release or trade) and also bet him another $50 that he wouldn’t get 420 yards from scrimmage, no matter what team he was on.

• …And Justice for AL

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:45 pm
    Troll Hunter Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 12:43 pm
    Why do you guys like to insult Dr. Rob? He has some great football acumen plus he teaches young men this sport brings all of us together.
    *******
    This is true.

______________________________

Why does this dude keep talking to himself?

• RaiderLen

Raider E Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:13 pm
    Len,

The bet was $20 with you righy? Im sure it was. I’m just seeking confirmation.

Yards and catches only?
    ————————-
    Yessir.

It will be fun however it turns out.

• elraidmanhattan

We all agree on Wilson, do you agree on my 2014….i feel confident about that.

• http://ho-lee-fuk 909RaiderLifer

RaiderLen Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I’ve yet to see him play, but he sounds legit.

Hope He maintains and doesn’t flame.

“““““““““““““““““““““““““““`
    He’s the real deal..I’ve watched alot of the Doyer games, since he got called up. Must see TV…

I don’t worry about his ability ON the field..I’m a little bit concerned about OFF the field though..

Doyers have a “chaperone” with him off the field, to keep him out of trouble. Still, someone might try to “set him up”…

Hell, he just made another great diving catch..Just as I was ready to hit “submit comment”….

• Just Fire Baby

You or your team had to be pretty good to play legion, didn’t they?

*******************************

My buddy got me on the team, I am same age as Jimmy, Jose and Todd were younger.

We were the 17 year olds on the 15-17 team.

We played on the Field of Dreams field in Iowa ij one tournament. Fcked up field, LF was like 310, Right center was like 430.

• elraidmanhattan

My opinion is Ford is a goner

• RaiderLen

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    ——————————–
    That’s the sense I got as well.

Sour grapes.

• lefty12

Pervman-no doubt.

• Gdog

JLofty Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:09 pm

The Chiefs last year had the 5th best running attack in the league I believe.
    Soooo we probably can’t even rely on that…

Man Priest, you must be getting old if you can’t even find hope in July/eary Aug. Come on we haven’t played a snap and only been practicing for 4 days. You have 20 more weeks to get all depressed about the ‘13 Raiders….

>>>

JMAC? comparing Flynn to Gannon got me fired up today!

This could work if he really does resemble him in ANY shape. Pryor is a horrible fit for the WCO… it relies too much on timing and precise short throws for him to ever fit in with this coaching staff. Something the Pryor Brigade ignores, same as they ignored that Pryor didn’t know how to throw the damn ball last year… which is something even HE admitted.

Its a feast of fantasy with Pryor. Close your eyes and pretend he can carry this team to greatness…

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

No “Blog outrage” over Riley Cooper.

Coinky-dinky?

• Just Fire Baby

*****************************

He’s a teacher from Las Cruces, NM with a bunch of special needs kids.

Puig is a full-on alcoholic.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderLen Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 3:56 pm
    Raider E Says:
    ====================================================

Yeah, but how about the guy the baseball hit?
    ———————————–
    Leave it to P man to find the angle. lol
    =====================================================

Hey, I try.

• RaiderLen

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    —————————–
    Props to Thec for Id’ing Ford in the draft.

However, since Ford has become Glass Schillens 2.0, your bet is looking very solid.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Priesttj12 Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I cannot for the life of me no matter how hard I try, see how this team can win games.
    ==============================================

Well, you have just violated the lst two noble truths of the Buddha. But salvation and nirvana are possible. Son.

• JLofty

Hey 909 what is the Doyer’s concerns about Puig?
    or is it just typical young rich foreigner in big city types of things?

• Just Fire Baby

Please clarify, if your bruised mitt allows you to type.

****************************

LOL (sarcastic azzhole right back to you).

Your saying if the ball hits the player it is dead. So what if you try to catch a line drive and it kind of rattles around of your heel of your glove and into your chest as you catch it?

And what about the Kevin Mitchell bare hand snag?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

KoolKell Says:

No “Blog outrage” over Riley Cooper.

Coinky-dinky?
    ===================================================

There was. You need to wake up a bit before 4:00pm to read it.

• Gdog

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:14 pm

>>>

Anyone that thinks Pryor will ever be a great fit in a WCO is setting himself up for butt-hurt.

He is worthy of a roster spot for occasional gimmick plays and backup in case Flynn stinks out loud. But he is far from a WCO passer. Duh.

• …And Justice for AL

Go RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

In fairness, KK the world traveler may be somewhere where it’s only 8:00am.

• Just Fire Baby

I heard that there was already an accusaton to LAPD about sexual assault on Puig.

Must not have had any legs, because it died quickly.

Want some more juice, just google “Yasiel Puig + drug cartels”.

• RaiderLen

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:19 pm
    RaiderLen Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 3:56 pm
    Raider E Says:
    ====================================================

Yeah, but how about the guy the baseball hit?
    ———————————–
    Leave it to P man to find the angle. lol
    =====================================================

Hey, I try.
    ——————————————-
    I like the fact you find the subtleties and point them out. With a sense of humor.

Quality.

• JLofty

Okay Kook, I’ll bite. The Riley Cooper thing has me OUTRAGED!!!

Now who tf is Riley Cooper and why would/should I care?

• elraidmanhattan

2014 ,2014,2014 i hate to be damn redundant, think about it digest and let logic dictate. Allen will be coach, team will have a solid base to build on, come on guys let this sink in the garbage is about all gone cap space and building blocks are here.

• Raider E

Legion games were the best traveling around and playing teams that we never saw before.

I was a kid from a poor family. The only reason I got on the team was because my best friends dad footed the $1000 bill it took, and I played catcher.

No one back in my day wanted to catch, but I made my baseball life doing it. Obviously, I wasn’t the best hitter lol :)

• 91002Raider

KoolKell Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    No “Blog outrage” over Riley Cooper.

Coinky-dinky?

……………………

There was plenty of it earlier this morning. Go back and read it. The idiot is done playin football. We all get our due. Plenty of angst in the world besides him. No need to start something now, there’s been enough of it today already.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RaiderLen Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    ——————————–
    That’s the sense I got as well.

Sour grapes.
    ================================================

I have discovered a wonderful mathematical equation. It seems the further one is from actual training camp the higher the expectation that person seems to have about Pryor’s possible on field performance. And vice versa. I think I will call it the Mistic principal.

• elraidmanhattan

Riley cooper-redreck racist who should not get cut and in first game get beaten to a pulp…guy is a piece of crap

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Why does this dude keep talking to himself?”

It is an amazing riddle to us all!

• http://ho-lee-fuk 909RaiderLifer

Priest….

Did you “see” this hot mess in person at camp? Or…..

Are you just reading, and watching the same drivel as the rest of us?……

• Just Fire Baby

All Cubans after the Ariel Prieto fiasco want to defect and gain residency in another country for a year to be a FA and not have to go through the draft. Prieto announced he was leaving and didn’t citzenship, had to go in the draft and never wanted to go to Oakland.

Most all Cubans gain residency in Haiti or the Domincan.

Puig, who won’t talk about it, ended up in Mexico and the rumors have been flying since.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

91002Raider Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:24 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    No “Blog outrage” over Riley Cooper.

Coinky-dinky?

……………………

—————————
    Alrighty then, I missed it.