Raiders sign Seabass to extension

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 at 12:49 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Some quick hits from Friday morning’s practice session:

– The Raiders announced the signing of place kicker Sebastian Janikowski to a four-year extension following practice. Janikowski told reporters he hopes to retire a Raider and that is relieved a deal got done.

Timing was on Janikowski’s side, given that the Raiders have ample cap space next season. In Shane Lechler’s case, the Raiders had zero room in his walk year.

Janikowski said general manager Reggie McKenzie called in the offseason and expressed a desire to get a deal done.

Other key players who could be targeted for extensions with expiring deals include left tackle Jared Veldheer, defensive end Lamarr Houston and running back Darren McFadden. There are a number of new players on one-year deals as well should the Raiders determine they fit in to future plans.

– A strong performance from running back Rashad Jennings, particularly in short-yardage. Jennings has heavy feet, the ability to break tackles and could end up being a solid red-zone and third-and-1 option.

– Wide receiver Brice Butler had a strong showing, catching a short pass from Flynn and juking cornerback Tracy Porter on a nice catch-and-run play.

– Free safety Charles Woodson made a diving intercepted off a deflected pass from Flynn that went off the hands of tight end David Ausberry.

– Cornerback Taiwan Jones also had a deflection-interception, but later was victimized on a third-and-1 play when fullback Jamize Olawale got loose on a circle route, with Matt McGloin hitting him in stride for a big gainer.

– Remaining out of practice for the Raiders, among others, were guard Lucas Nix, wide receiver/return specialist Jacoby Ford, running back Latavius Murray and defensive end Lamarr Houston.

Returning to practice was defensive tackle Stacy McGee. McGee didn’t finish however, and newly acquired Myles Wade was injured also, meaning the Raiders will be on the market again for defensive tackles.

– NFL officials were at practice and will hold presentations for both the media and the players on rule changes and points of emphasis. Among the rule changes that will be of particular interest to Woodson _ the elimination of the tuck rule.

– Special teams coach Bobby April is a stickler for executing a kickoff return block at the 25-yarfd line instead of the 20-yard line, as one Raiders player found out in direct terms.

– Quarterback Tyler Wilson seems to be getting fewer snaps. One one play he fumbled a center snap, then attempted to throw over the middle, with the batted ball being intercepted by Jones.

– Cornerback D.J. Hayden remains in a red jersey and unable to truly mix it up in coverage, and it showed on one completion to tight end Brian Leonhardt when he was only able to make a half-hearted swipe at knocking the ball loose.

• JLofty

Rumors are always fun. Kid can sure play the baseball tho…

• elraidmanhattan

Any thoughts on Bass, seems like he has a good motor, good skills for a division 2 guy

• the famous dr robert

Seymour Bush Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I have discovered a wonderful mathematical equation. It seems the further one is from actual training camp the higher the expectation that person seems to have about Pryor’s possible on field performance. And vice versa. I think I will call it the Mistic principal.
    ***********
    Lol. Pryor is like a chic u see from far away walking toward u and u think “OMG she is hot!”

As she gets closer it becomes:
    “Well she’s cute.”
    “I mean she’s not bad.”
    “Oh wait.”
    “Oh my good Lord in Heaven! That is one ugly girl!”

• Raider E

Riley Cooper is a nobody who obviously has a propensity to drink to much and do things he will regret later.

It’s not racist.

It’s more of him trying to throw his slight frame around.

• Gdog

Seymour Bush Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm

RaiderLen Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    Priest is just bailing because Pryor won’t be our starting QB. He’s been going on ad nauseum all offseason about how Pryor would prove in camp that he was one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL today blah blah blah, and is now butthurt that it ain’t happening.
    ——————————–
    That’s the sense I got as well.

Sour grapes.
    ================================================

>>>

Aren’t most of the reports saying he looks good throwing bombs? Which is about as far from the WCO this coaching staff is implementing as possible.

Still curious why Reggie didn’t trade him for a draft pick to a non-WCO team… hopefully they have SOME plans for him!

• lefty12

Good thing most of the DA haters can’t listen to 95.7.Our DC just praised the he!! out of him.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Alrighty then, I missed it.”

No reason you still cant spin it to fit your dysfunctional agenda.

• the famous dr robert

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:26 pm
    “Why does this dude keep talking to himself?”

It is an amazing riddle to us all!
    *********
    Man u like to talk about me.

• DutchRaider77

328.KoolKell Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    No “Blog outrage” over Riley Cooper.

Coinky-dinky?

_____________________________________________

Lol, we are a forgving lot.

Didn’t you “Riley Cooper” Raider O on few occasions, using racial slurs for Arabs? (Don’t worry I am not counting all the “Cracker” comments)

• Gdog

KoolKell Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:28 pm

91002Raider Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:24 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    No “Blog outrage” over Riley Cooper.

Coinky-dinky?

……………………

There was plenty of it earlier this morning. Go back and read it. The idiot is done playin football. We all get our due. Plenty of angst in the world besides him. No need to start something now, there’s been enough of it today already.
    —————————
    Alrighty then, I missed it.

>>>

He plays for the Raiders now?

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Gdog Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:31 pm

====================================

Doubt Reggie could’ve gotten much more than a 6th-rounder or so.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

elraidmanhattan Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:30 pm

==========================================

Bass was a guy I was personally very interested in watching and I did not come away disappointed. They had him playing a couple of positions, he certainly was not adverse to mixing it up and seemed to hold up fairly well at the POA. They had him playing OLB and elephant in a couple of packages. I thought he did well all things considered.

• the famous dr robert

Elraidmanhattan Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:30 pm
    ********
    Nfl body and athleticism.

DA said a couple days ago he can get to the passer and they’re gonna count on him.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“(Don’t worry I am not counting all the “Cracker” comments)”

Or how many times he says pec kerwood

• inonewordraider

Hey 909 what is the Doyer’s concerns about Puig?
    or is it just typical young rich foreigner in big city types of things?

_______
    exactly

some guys can handle it some can’t

he’s rubbin elbows with stars, everyone wants a piece of him which includes white powdery stuff and women

same for any star but especially in a big city, and he’s been known to live life in the fast lane

heard he just made a killer catch, anyone care to tell me about it?

• 91002Raider

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:30 pm
    Seymour Bush Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm

***********

As she gets closer it becomes:
    “Well she’s cute.”
    “I mean she’s not bad.”
    “Oh wait.”
    “Oh my good Lord in Heaven! That is one ugly girl!”

………………………………..

Just can’t help yourself instigating Pryor jabs. The guy wears a Raider jersey. That’s special. Thought you were gone till the Dallas game. Making a comeback???

• elraidmanhattan

Raider E seriously? That rant by Cooper at the Chesney concert was pure racism, i am white and i felt the racism like getting hit with a left hook.

• http://ho-lee-fuk 909RaiderLifer

or is it just typical young rich foreigner in big city types of things?
    “““““““““““““““““““““““““““`
    Pretty much….

He’s rolling around LA in a brand new Roll-Royce…

• Just Fire Baby

Bass seems to have a ton of upside for a 7th round pick.

Anyone know why he lasted until then? Injuries? Douchery?

• the famous dr robert

DutchRaider77 Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:32 pm
    328.KoolKell Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    No “Blog outrage” over Riley Cooper.

Coinky-dinky?

_____________________________________________

Lol, we are a forgving lot.

********
    There are many here who are not against using racial slurs, simultaneously being outraged, outraged I tell ya, about it happening to them.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

I will say again, in re: the tuck rule snow job, that my second reaction, after throwing the beer bottle thru the sliding glass door, was no way we should have even been in NE for that game. We screwed the pooch down the stretch going what 2-6 or something. Should of had home field advantage in that game.
    I really did, although I didn’t really throw a bottle thru the glass.

• Raider E

Too many people want to hold a gavel and punish someone intensely for a child-like mistake.

Get over it. I call my white friends negro.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Gdog Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm

RaiderLen Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:14 pm
    ——————————–
    That’s the sense I got as well.

Sour grapes.
    ================================================

>>>

==========================================

I don’t know if I would say he looks good throwing bombs, but he certainly can do it. At one point I watched him uncork a pass that had to go sixty yards in the air. It really wasn’t overly close to the intended target, Jacoby Ford, who had gotten behind a defender, but he could do it. To me that is like a batting practice dinger that looks good to the fans and press, but has no relevance in a real game.

• Just Fire Baby

heard he just made a killer catch, anyone care to tell me about it?

*****************************

I say it will be #3 on the Top 10 tonight.

Hard-charged a shallow fly and full-extension dive and caught it.

Spectacular.

• elraidmanhattan

Hey Seymour Bass has an NFL body, smart and passionate, good grab by Reggie, and he will make Crawford disappear

• the famous dr robert

91002Raider Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:34 pm
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:30 pm
    Seymour Bush Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:25 pm

***********

As she gets closer it becomes:
    “Well she’s cute.”
    “I mean she’s not bad.”
    “Oh wait.”
    “Oh my good Lord in Heaven! That is one ugly girl!”

………………………………..

*******
    Lol. It’s true its true.

• RaiderLen

Elraidmanhattan Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:30 pm
    ——————————
    It might come down to him or Jack Crawford.

Tafur or someone said He’d flashed, but we won’t know anything for a while.

He will need to demonstrate in the pre season.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

DutchRaider77 Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:32 pm
    328.KoolKell Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    No “Blog outrage” over Riley Cooper.

Coinky-dinky?

_____________________________________________

Lol, we are a forgving lot.

————————————
    Funny, You people.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Bass seems to have a ton of upside for a 7th round pick.

Anyone know why he lasted until then? Injuries? Douchery?
    ============================================

It happens with Div II guys. They get overlooked. This was a surprisingly deep draft. When guys like Geno Smith last til the second and Tyler Wilson and Matt Barkeley til the 4th, guys are going to slip through the cracks.

• RAIDERMAN99

LOL (sarcastic azzhole right back to you).

Your saying if the ball hits the player it is dead. So what if you try to catch a line drive and it kind of rattles around of your heel of your glove and into your chest as you catch it?

And what about the Kevin Mitchell bare hand snag?
    ===============================================
    azzhole ? Cmon man, you know I’m a big fan of yours. Think you’re one of the best posters here.

No, not saying the ball is dead if it hits a player. Not at all. The ball is very much live.

I’m asking if the player is considered ‘part of the field’ why is a ball that bounces off a player’s head and into the stands different than a ball that bounces off the warning track into the stands ?

Am I wrong about the player being considered ‘part of the field’ ?

• the famous dr robert

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:35 pm
    Bass seems to have a ton of upside for a 7th round pick.

Anyone know why he lasted until then? Injuries? Douchery?
    **********
    There is a checklist all teams use when evaluating a player. Next to each column they give a 1-5 grade.

Size
    Speed
    Quickness
    Strength
    Experience
    Level of play
    Douchery

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

the famous dr robert Says:
    Man u like to talk about me.
    =====================================================

There is one here, above all others, who likes to talk about you.
    No one really understands why.

• inonewordraider

I say it will be #3 on the Top 10 tonight.

Hard-charged a shallow fly and full-extension dive and caught it.

Spectacular.

_____________
    thanks bro

that kid is worth the price of admission, finally my dodgers have a squad to be reckoned with, and fun to watch

• Raider E

Elraidmanhatten,

• Just Fire Baby

****************************

Agreed, it doesn’t matter if it is football players at a Kenny Chesney concert or a Young Jeezy concert.

Women and other races will be demeaned all night long.

Just the way it is with 20 something, macho guys.

• PlunkforHOF

Dr Narcissist apparently only left long enough to take a crap and have Mom feed him some Mac n Cheese. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

• inonewordraider

It might come down to him or Jack Crawford.

Tafur or someone said He’d flashed, but we won’t know anything for a while.

He will need to demonstrate in the pre season.

________
    Crawford playing exclusively at lde, bass rde and olb in “other” formations

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I could careless what Riley Cooper has to say at a concert while drinking and partying.”

Are you kidding me this is the best race bating sheep moving story CNN and FOX have had since the Zimmerman trial ended.

Move along little sheeple!

• Just Fire Baby

azzhole ? Cmon man,

************************

It was a sarcastic azzhole.

Making fun of my office hands!!!!!!!

So are you saying that it is because it went out of play that is part of the field?

Sometime this whole internet thing is tough with translation. I am sure we could have hammered this out in about half a beer.

• elraidmanhattan

Raider E I appreciate your thoughts, And I can see your diplomatic approach, but this guy said something very bold and with venom personally he is a scumbag

• Orthodoxdj

The Petros and Money show just went off on the Raiders.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Orthodoxdj Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:41 pm

The Petros and Money show

===============================

Who???

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I dont buy the racist agenda perpetuated by the elite to keep the common man down.

I am Mexican, proud of it, and could not care less if some skinny whiteboy called me a wetback.”

You sir are a very intelligent person! If you do not allow it to hurt you then you take away the power it had and was being used against you.

• the famous dr robert

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:38 pm
    the famous dr robert Says:
    Man u like to talk about me.
    =====================================================

There is one here, above all others, who likes to talk about you.
    No one really understands why.
    *********
    People like to talk about famous people.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Anyone know if Jamista Clown has shown up at Janikowsky’s door yet demanding his cut for making Jano a better player?

• elraidmanhattan

Back to the team, I feel inspired with tommy kelly and Richard ( i give out turkeys) gone

• Just Fire Baby

What does Crawford bring to the table?

Just seems like a less athletic, lolly-gagging Bobby Hamilton.

Can’t rush the passer, can’t just the ball-carrier, doesn’t seem to play ST’s.

What is he good for? What’s the upside?

I honestly think it might be blocking FG’s and getting his hands up in the passing windows.

• the famous dr robert

PlunkforHOF Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:39 pm
    ********
    Interesting hypothesis. Thanks for thinking of me.

• DJ Johnny

Orthodoxdj Says:
    August 2nd, 2013 at 4:41 pm

The Petros and Money show just went off on the Raiders.

Are they local guys? What did they have to say?

Ripping on Reggie?