Notes, quotes and observations from camp — Day 8

NAPA — The more you watch Terrelle Pryor, the more convinced you are that he has a legitimate chance to succeed as a quarterback in the NFL. On Saturday, his wide-ranging talents were on full display before 1,000 or so fans.
Coach Dennis Allen also took note of Pryor’s performance, in particular a long throw to rookie wide receiver Brice Butler on a post route.
The ball traveled 60 yards or so in the air and found Butler in stride at the goal line for a touchdown. The fans excitement began with a low rumble as Pryor released the ball, it built as the ball neared its intended target and reached a crescendo when Butler made the catch and landed in the end zone.
“That deep ball was a heck of a play and heck of a throw,” Allen said. “All Terrelle’s got to do is keep his head down and keep working. He has improved and he’s gotten better every day. And that’s what we expect.”
Pryor completed numerous other passes and even showed off his running ability from time to time, when called plays broke down.

– Left offensive tackle Jared Veldheer underwent an MRI on his triceps. The exam returned negative. Allen said he expects Veldheer back at practice soon. Alex Barron took Veldheer’s reps with the first-team offense. Veldheer watched practice while sporting a baseball cap.

– Wide receiver Jacoby Ford returned to practice after missing most of the past five practices. He said a sore tendon behind one of his knees caused him to sit out since last Sunday.
He said the injury just happened without his doing anything to cause it and that it’s nothing to worry about, unlike each of the past two training camps, when he suffered a broken hand and a foot injury.
“At first it was kind of upsetting, but it’s part of the game,” Ford said. “I’m doing everything I can to take care of my body in the right way. That last year, I really had no choice because of the foot surgery. I’m glad to get back from the leg. It’s something just real minor, so it was nothing for me to panic about or anything. It’s just like more nagging than anything and just a little bit frustrating. But I’m fine now.”
Allen said he’s eager to get a long look at Ford, especially given he didn’t get to see Ford for long last season before he needed a season-ending surgery.

– Barron also has received reps at right offensive tackle. However, it sounds as if Khalif Barnes is on solid ground in terms of keeping his starting job.
“I’ve been very pleased with Khalif Barnes,” Allen said. “Where he’s at, he’s done a good job for us.”

– Defensive tackles Vance Walker and Stacy McGee were part of a large contingent of Raiders that missed practice. Walker and McGee just returned to practice Friday, only to be back on the sideline a day later.
In all, more than a dozen players missed practice, though no one new surfaced on the list.

– Allen spoke for the first time since the Raiders signed Sebastian Janikowski to a four-year contract extension. Naturally, he’s thrilled to know that he can check kicker off his list for the next five years.
“That’s great,” Allen said. “He’s one of the best kickers to ever play this game, he’s a weapon for us. I’ve said anytime we cross the 50(-yard line), we’re nearing field-goal range anyway. So, it’s a huge weapon to have a guy like him who puts points on the board for you, so I’m glad we got him.”
Six other key players are in the position Janikowski was in until Friday; entering the final year of their contract — running back Darren McFadden, fullback Marcel Reece, Veldheer, defensive end Lamarr Houston, Ford and long-snapper Jon Condo.
Allen made it clear that he is interested in getting some of those guys tied up sooner rather than later, and certainly before free agency rolls around next spring.
“Well, obviously, I’m not going to get into any real negotiations,” Allen said, “but there are some players on this team that we would like to go ahead and shore up.”

– Allen said he hasn’t broken down how many reps players are going to get in the Raiders exhibition opener Friday night. However, it’s clear that presumptive starting quarterback Matt Flynn is going to get plenty of playing time, if not right away.
“Matt’s going to get some work in the preseason,” Allen said. “I don’t think there’s any question about that, so we want to make sure we get him enough work so that he’ll be ready to go when the regular season comes around.”
Flynn has started only two regular-season games in his five NFL seasons. Pryor has made one start in his two seasons. Tyler Wilson and Matt McGloin are rookies. Therefore, Allen is faced with four quarterbacks that need as many snaps as possible.

Steve Corkran

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:37 am

I once heard Drew Brees say because of his height limitations, he literally can’t throw many or any slants from under center.

Has to be in shotgun.

I don’t want Flynnie throwing many slants on a 3 step drop.

That is a batted ball INT waiting to happen.

>>>

Are the Saints even a WCO team? Don’t see them play very often.

PlunkforHOF Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:43 am
    Follow the B@uceman Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 10:52 am
    JLofty Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 10:46 am
    “In a perfect world we all could be there discussing what was going on”

Yeah seeing things live with your own eyes might make some of the garbage in here tone down some. They got a new airline flying reno to oakland for $40. Might sneak in to a few for parties at the coli this year..
    *****************************

Yo for real? What airline is this?

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

No kidding.. IS it Allegiant? I could make 2 more games if I didnt drive. Can you catch BART at the airport?

What up B? Great reporting last night.
    **************************************

Thanks Plunk…..I hope that flight thing is the truth so you can come through my man……yes Bart is trying to finish the airport connector sometime soon….you can see it from Coliseum and off Hegenberger….should make things better for any Raiders flying in from out of the area

• lefty12

Morning gentlemen.Welcome back Dell.Good call on the Barnes to RG ,J.I only wish it was Watson at RT and not AB.

Raider O Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:45 am
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:42 am
    J Hill Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:35 am
    I’m with that wave of the future TE shiiddd.

Ausberry and Rivera fit nicely.

************************

I saw many double TE formations
    $$$$$$$$$

Ausberry and Rivera, or what’s it someone else?
    **************************

Gotta have one guy at least be a better blocker so I saw Gordon and Kasa in if one of our better pass catching TEs were out there

• J Hill

Because Chekwa is running with the 1st team along with Hayden, so of course theres no mention of him rotating with 2nd team

——————————————————————————

Good point.

That went right over my head.

Jenkins
    Porter
    Hayden
    Chekwa

Raider Dell Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:45 am
    B@uce, Yes you and I do discuss Raiders need attitude on def. Moore is a start to that change we need. As, you said if guy wasn’t playing football he would be a MMA fighter and destructive.
    *********************

Easily thats the case with Moore….Woodson will help with the attitude factor as well…I need one more bad ass prefer that to be on dline…but we are making progress…Houston is a tough guy….but need a bad ass DT

• Raider Dell

B@uce comment about Simms around us had many people laughing, I hope I have the exact quote” Simms has been working out at the Golden Corral” to that effect, laughing ensued and he is way overweight.

• mcfadden20.

Adams will make it team will go with 6 CBS, but who ever makes the roster at CB would be very deserved , like the great competition at some positions for a change

• Raiders for life

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:41 am
    Flynn gonna start week 1 everyone…..fine…Pryor will get packages…as Dell said I hope its not 1 or 2 plays…be too predictable then

################

I’m good with that. Olson needs to get Pryor snaps in games and continue to get him reps with the 1′s during practice. SF did a good job having Kap prepared, Olson needs to do the same. Knapp was a fkn dumbass.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Who needs Steve and Jerry?
    We have B and Dell.
    This is more informative than any chat.

Thx guys. Great work. I’m impressed.

Hire B as a Raider Reporter!

Raider O Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:44 am
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:37 am
    Raider O Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:27 am
    B,

What about FatPat or Bilukidi?
    *******************************

Fat Sims was joggin on other field lol

Bilukidi did ok..he has the size but its about technique and a guy like Wiz can make anyone look bad
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don’t understand that out of shape BS. WTF is wrong with these dudes?
    *********************************

O….I have no idea man….not like Sims didnt have months to prepare….undisclosed injury lol….pointing at the heart and will. Sims was a backup and has a chance to get meaningful snaps yet is doing what? This is why I said he isn’t starter material

• mcfadden20.

Sims at whatever weight he is , will be valuable at NT when we go 3-4

Raider Dell Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:48 am
    ********************

LOL exactly what I said

• 0ak r8rs

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:37 am
    Guys like oakrdr8 & the like might as well stop posting or start working on their new handles . They won’t be able to work their way from underneath their painfully misinformed raider qb takes.

Lol pure comedy

@@@@@@@

Umh no. I’m good. Been right about quite a bit. And I’m a man and can admit when I’m wrong. I’ll be right here, reading your racist, closed minded, agenda filled rants.

Per Hwnrdr…..crowd seemed brutal against Pryor today….funny they were supportive of both QBs yesterday when I was there….very sad that people have agendas and dont want both to succeed…both guys got kudos from me

• mcfadden20.

Oh man I was so stupid for defending knapp till like week 6, I thought the team just needed some time to get acclimated to the ZBS , what a dumb OC he turned out to be , he should have only been hired to coach the QBs, just like Houston and dungver did , Olsen seems light years ahead of him, but we’ll see when the real games start

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I agree B. this was his chance to be a starter and earn a big contract after this, and what does he do? He shows up fat and out of shape.
    He is not a starter.

• mcfadden20.

Everyone wants Pryor to succeed , it’s dumbass in here who only want to start race war and want to turn them against Pryor for their stupid agendas

• Raider Dell

Media sits in a box way off field, just only report highlights and not to much detail. As we read there media release we assume many intangibles and decide with no information what is really happening. I appreciate their objectivity, but wish they had more detailed reports. I would love to go to practice every day and see the progress and report accurately what is happening.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

B,

When are you going again? Is there a limit? Do you have to pay?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Mcfadden20. Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:53 am

—————————–
    A step in the right direction for you. Sunday too.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

SI JIm TROTTER

Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotter 1h Outsiders haven’t been overly impressed with Matt Flynn, but the team is committed to starting him. Thought Pryor was sharp on Sat. #Raiders

Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotter 1h Challenge for coaches is getting Pryor to be comfortable w/ using mobility as weapon. He wants to show he’s a complete player (ie run less).

• mcfadden20.

:) Go A’s , beat the crap outta Texas Rangers today

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Jim Trotter ‏@SI_JimTrotter 1h Some thoughts from yesterday’s stop at Raiders camp: 1) Really surprised at how far along the D is with potentially 9 new starters.

Wow…Hwnrdr was near a section of people that said Pryor needs to be cut pronto……thats just plain sad….see what I mean about agenda? There is something else going on with that. I’d want best guy to start but if you cant see that Pryor is head and shoulders about Wilson and McGloin then you got a serious problem….VERY SERIOUS one that goes beyond football….so sad

• lefty12

Mcfadden20. Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:56 am
    =====================================
    And you fall for their baiting by even acknowledging and replying to them.

• mcfadden20.

KoolKell Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    Mcfadden20. Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:53 am

—————————–
    A step in the right direction for you. Sunday too.

– been saying it since week 6 , you just noticed it now?

• Just Fire Baby

Looked better than Wheeler covering….

********************************

While good news, that isn’t saying a whole lot.

I liked Wheeler’s intensity and passion, he was a great blitzer and pretty solid tackler.

But he couldn’t cover his own azz.

Raider O Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    B,

When are you going again? Is there a limit? Do you have to pay?
    ******************

Today I believe it is done….preseason starting Friday so they really gonna start gettin into it

• Raider Dell

I saw yesterday no change in defensive scheme from last year. Raiders will be 4-3 team 3-4 in certain situations with blitz packages from different angles. The had Raider staff prior to a drill ask everyone to place cameras away and video cameras and worked on these blitz packages with raider QB’S taking snaps.
    The Raider “D” will be multiple with safety blitz, LB blitz and zone with cover two and cover one in certain circumstances, and of course zone.

Woodson back there will be calling out coverages, which he did with authority yesterday.

• Just Fire Baby

Are the Saints even a WCO team? Don’t see them play very often.

****************************

I don’t know what you would call it, but they toss the rock an obscene amount of times.

But there is some slants in there I am sure.

I remember the quote from him, talking about his physical limitations, but also talking about how it wasn’t really that hard to overcome.

Like the slant thing. Can’t do it well under center, go to shotgun, problem solved.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 12:00 pm
    Looked better than Wheeler covering….

********************************

While good news, that isn’t saying a whole lot.

But he couldn’t cover his own azz.
    ***************************************

Wasnt like he was weak…but he gave up a few against TE from what I saw…but werent for huge gains thats for sure…he seemed to recognize well what the offense was doing

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

who they are.

377.0ak r8rs Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 11:52 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 11:44 pm
    Not to mention Al’s last DRAFT PICK.

After Al passed PRYOR would say he would just be talking to him on the phone

“BE PATIENT” “you’re time is coming”

@@@@@@@

Awewwwwweeeeeee

So what.

———————

so he was Al’s last draft pick. Trolls dont care. Raider fans do

• mcfadden20.

Lefty12 Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:59 am
    Mcfadden20. Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:56 am
    =====================================
    And you fall for their baiting by even acknowledging and replying to them.

No I don’t I just want these retards to be objective and not hypocrites one good practice by Pryor they start chanting HOF, then he lays an egg the next day, I want Pryor to show consistency and show stuff in real games, then they can start his tunes 24/7 , n on the other hand , they said cut Wilson he’s garbage after just 5-6 practices, but Pryor didn’t show anything to look forward to besides his work ethic in first 2 years and all the said just give him time he’ll come around . You see the hypocrisy of these guys, freakinh lunatics

• realtruraider

OAKLAND RAIDERS ‏@RAIDERS 3m
    The Raiders have signed LS @JonCondo to a three-year contract extension. pic.twitter.com/rvhm9H94zI

————————————————-

Alright, I posted after Jano signed extension that the next up is Condo

Dell is correct as far as scheme goes…4-3 base and I’m happy it is…I see multiple fronts and both woodson and branch will be effective blitzing

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Have the Raiders put TP at Defensive End yet?

Sorry I’m being racist. So sorry.

Taiwan Jones looked good today says Hwnrdr….think he sticks

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    B,

When are you going again? Is there a limit? Do you have to pay?
    ******************

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I see. Maybe next year you can go more than once, or maybe you will be a reporter by then. lol

• Just Fire Baby

************************************

Exactly.

These scribes covering the team seem awfully jaded sometimes.

Nobody put a gun to their head to become a sports writer. Everyone knows you don’t make much money but have it pretty easy.

You want to make more money, write a book.

Cork thinks he is going to revolutionize online media videos or something. You are fkn writer not a cameraman!!!

Kell…come on man….no need to go there

• mcfadden20.

Taiwan will stick for special teams and will look to make a name at CB next year

Raider O Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    Follow The B@Uceman Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 12:01 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    B,

When are you going again? Is there a limit? Do you have to pay?
    ******************

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

***************************

Would be nice…I would give major shoutouts to the semi’s all day…cant forget my roots!

• Raiders for life

B. or Dell,
    I haven’t heard much about the run game. How did that look? DMAC, Jennings, Stewart?

Realtruraider Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 12:04 pm
    OAKLAND RAIDERS ‏@RAIDERS 3m

————————————————-

Alright, I posted after Jano signed extension that the next up is Condo
    ******************************

Bo Schem lost it….he broke all his white wine bottles

• mcfadden20.

HAYDEN, PORTER, JENKINS, HANSON, CHEKWA/ADAMS AND TAIWAN AS The 6th CB

• Just Fire Baby

Condo gets an extension, Goethel out of the league.

Might have wanted to show a little chutzpah there Travis, and work on LS on your own.

It pays a helluva lot more than whatever the hell he is doing now.

• mcfadden20.

Pretty solid CB group

• RAIDERMAN99

J Hill Says:
    August 4th, 2013 at 9:06 am
    Another outing that will help put an end to the ‘5th string’, ‘cut him’, ‘trade him for a bag of nuts’, ‘he can’t throw’, ‘he sux’, ‘no way can he succeed at QB’ talk that has pervaded this blog for way too long now.

——————————————————————————-

Wonder if we are one more outing away from not hearing the HC bashing?

Seems like the HC should get credit for the April, Wilson, and Olson in the same fashion he gets raked over the coals for Krappy.

Seems like the HC should get some credit for putting 6 in a position to shut some folks up.
    =================================================
    I’ll stop ‘bashing’ TITS when he shows me something.

Putting 6 in a position to shut some people up ?

You mean letting him play ?

BFD.

Hiring qualified assts ?

Again, BFD.

Newsflash: TITS should be expected to put together a quality staff.

If he’s done so, props to him for that. Still doesn’t absolve him for the Krapp he saddled us with last year.

TP would be further along in his development if TITS didn’t have him inactive and sitting behind LICE virtually all of 2012.

It ain’t TITS ‘bashing’ to point out the obvious mistakes he’s made.

And why is calling TA, ‘TITS’, considered ‘bashing’ ?

Don’t tell me you’re joining the club that loses it’s mind over the TITS nick.

He’s got bodacious moobs and the ‘nick’ is appropriate.

I give TITS a high grade for working through injuries and revamping the secondary last season.

That’s about it. Hasn’t shown me a thing worth praising besides that.

JH, since you’re calling for a MINIMUM 8 win season – if the RAIDS aren’t killed by injuries – and wind up getting blown out consistently and finish with something like 4 wins – are you going to start bashing TITS ?

**FTY and do it again tmw just to be sure.**

• Raiders for life

Levi Damien ‏@LeviDamien 18m
    Looks like #Raiders may just pass on signing a D lineman from outside and just give Jeanette Thompson a contract. pic.twitter.com/JGPyDmkdmX

lol, I love her.