More Sunday notes, quotes

There are so many times it’s tough to keep up, but here is the list of 20 players who were held out of practice Sunday, either because of injury or to get a rest:

Defensive linemen (7): NT Johnny Jones, DL Brandon Bair, DT Myles Wade, DT Pat Sims, DT Stacy McGee, DT Vance Walker, DE Lamarr Houston.

Linebackers (4): Sio Moore, Miles Burris, Billy Boyko, Kaluka Maiava.

Defensive backs (2): CB Mike Jenkins, CB Tracy Porter.

Offensive players (7): WR Connor Vernon, RB Latavius Murray, RG Mike Brisiel, C-G Alex Parsons, OT Menelik Watson, WR-RS Josh Cribbs, G Lucas Nix.

– Brisiel’s absence gave Allen a chance to get a look at Khalif Barnes at guard. Barnes, whose starts have all been at tackle, last remembers playing inside “three or four” years ago against the San Diego Chargers after two players went down due to injury.

“It’s cool. Things happen a little faster. I haven’t done it in a few years, but I’ve just got to get the footwork down and notice that things happen a little quicker inside as opposed to the edge,” Barnes said. “The more you can do the better it is. You just make yourself more valuable. I’m just trying to come in and do what they ask me to do.”

Said Allen: “He’s a big guy that’s got some power, so I think that’s something we want to look at. Him moving inside some, and kind of mix and match the lineups a little bit and see what we got. That was something that we had kind of planned on doing throughout camp and we took the opportunity to day with Brisiel being down to put him in there and see what he can do.”

With consistency being preached from Day 1 of training camp, Allen was asked which players have been the most consistent. Although he as reluctant to give names, Allen did anyway, naming SS Tyvon Branch, DE Jason Hunter, MLB Nick Roach, Barnes, C Stefen Wisniewski and RB Darren McFadden.

Given a little more time, the guess here is Allen would have also named FS Charles Woodson, WR Rod Streater and LT Jared Veldheer.

– Interesting that the two Raiders who have played the most games _ Woodson and DE Andre Carter _ have not missed a practice.

– Watson, who along with Sims and Burris has not practiced through the first nine sessions of camp, will have a difficult time mounting a challenge for the right tackle position considering his college experience at Florida State is just 13 games.

“He’s way behind. He went through the offseason program, but here we are in the second week of camp and he hasn’t seen a down yet,” Allen said. “He’s got to get healthy and got to get back out here. It’s frustrating to me, but it’s frustrating for him too.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• the famous dr robert

Marks Hair Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    if you can get an undrafted quarterback who is as good as your 4th round pick quarterback, you should save the pic for someone else.. because obviously he is not the bpa..
    *********
    U have brilliant hindsight don’t u?

Why not see it as Wilson is looking like a rookie and has time.

And we found a streater-like gem in mcgloin.

Nice job Reggie!

• mcfadden20.

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    mcfadden20. Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Isn’t Cam Newton 12-20 in his first two years, I remember a guy who said stats don’t matter and Palmers 4,000 passing yards were due to garbage time padding and were unimpressive with bad receiving group , yet gives cam newton credit for all the stuff with a top 10 receiver even though he is 12-20 …. HYPOCRITE
    ======================

actaully the panthers were 2-14 the year before cam

they went 6-10 in his rookie season

they went 7-9 last year

cam is improving the panthers

palmer took over an 4-2 team that was 8-8 the year before

well we know what happened 8-25

yuck the raiders got worse with your hero

Palmer played 24 games explain to me how he had more losses than the games played?

• Marks hair

848.. I mentioned that earlier. Hopefully its das only rookie mistake this yr..

• Just Fire Baby

Like anyone cares what the little dutch boy thinks. I thought Reggie was running the show?

********************************

Mark might not be running much, but he does have the ability to fire Reggie.

Orders should have been given to empty the bench. Instead the orders were to go win to potentially save your job.

• the famous dr robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    tyler wilsons throwing mechanics are god awful far worst than pryors were when he arrived

anybody that denies this is a racsit
    ********
    Lol. If anyone disagrees with u, they’re racist?

Moron.

Wilson’s mechanics aren’t that bad. Pryors were horrendous.

• Al_is_theraiders

espn….lol

That said, it has to be a bit disappointing that Bergstrom, a third-round pick in 2012, is not taking the early lead. Nix was an undrafted free agent signing last year out of Pittsburgh.

The Raiders drafted Bergstrom as a fit for the zone-blocking scheme Oakland used on offense last season — an unsuccessful approach….

• Just Fire Baby

****************************

Terrelle Pryor disagrees

• irjonny

ryan baker signed. dropped johnny jones.

• budweiser

I would have liked if Reggie had gotten a DE or DT in the 4th instead of Wilson, but don’t sleep on Wilson yet , he might turn out to be fine after all

——————————————————-
    So true, history shows us many great QB’s who just took time to develop. You just never know. Moral: Don’t be so quick to throw someone under the bus.

• the famous dr robert

@VicTafur: Raiders signed free agent DL Ryan Baker and waived/injured NT Johnny Jones

• Just Fire Baby

remember the semis who planned on trading jacoby or tommy Kelly or huff for 2-4th rounders

********************************

Should have listened to those guys.

Although never thought we could get a 2nd for any of them.

• Marks hair

I don’t think that McGloin or Wilson are gems is the problem..
    if neither one of those guys is good enough to push Terrell Pryor for the second string job they are not gems… they are undraftable quarterbacks.

• Dakota

Man, Pryor never learned how to throw until this past offseason….what does that say about The Ohio State University?

• mcfadden20.

So 13-19 totally gives him an excuse? WILSON TOOK SEAHAWKS TO PLAYOFFS SO DID KAEP AND SO DID RGIII AND neither of them were #1 picks and explain to me again how Palmer had more losses than even games played for the Raiders?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Dakota Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:05 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:02 pm
    Dakota Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:00 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 12:57 pm
    White Devil aka Dakota,

There is a difference between TP and Wilson. TP is a great athlete who can contribute at other positions, if he didn’t make it as a QB. IF Wilson doesn’t improve, then its a wasted pick.
    ++++++

I m glad you finally agree with me that Pryor should switch positions so he can get on the field and contribute.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He is our backup QB with a good chance to become a starter this season. What are you talking about?
    ++++++

Beating out another bad QB doesn’t mean he has a future as an NFL QB. We will get our QB in 2014.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Let me guess…. You want Johnny Football.

• Al_is_theraiders

and who thinks the dl is better now? signing supermarket guys to play…lol bravo shrek bravo…

• Dakota

Let me guess…. You want Johnny Football.
    ++++++++++++

• mcfadden20.

How did Palmer went 8-25 with Raiders when he only played a total of 24 games with us ?? LMFAO

• Just Fire Baby

*****************************

I will gladly bet you that our D-line generates more sacks than last years D-line.

#ponyup

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

palmer won 8 of 24 games he stinks and the team got worse

cam is improving the panthers that were 2-14 before he took over

stop it there is no debate

there isnt a gm in the nfl that would take palmer over cam today

• the famous dr robert

Mcfadden20. Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    *********
    We all know missdick is a liar.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Dakota Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:15 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It’s on now White Devil.
    Who was that guy drafted in the 2nd that was this great ND starter. I can’t even remember his name. Is he still in the league?
    You got lucky last year. It should have been The OSU in the CS. You were an embarrassment to the BCS CS.
    Fighting Irish my a$$.

• Just Fire Baby

I count 18.5 sacks from last years D-line.

• Marks hair

well last year I think with our lowest sack total by at our defensive line ever… so just say that they will get more sacks this year is hardly a big statement.

• Al_is_theraiders

jfb, interesting bet…lets keep an eye on that…

• The_Judge37

853.Marks hair Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:12 pm
    848.. I mentioned that earlier. Hopefully its das only rookie mistake this yr..
    ——-

#RevokeThePass2013

• RAIDERMAN99

aig-raiders Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 11:17 am

Christopher Hansen ‏@ChrisHansenNFL 3m

I know that tons of players smoke marijuana. I really don’t care, except that doing it in a moving vehicle in Napa is not the smartest

Christopher Hansen ‏@ChrisHansenNFL 7m

Likely a player in the back seat with dark tint because I didn’t smell it until he cracked open the door for a lady fan.

Christopher Hansen ‏@ChrisHansenNFL 8m

Yes, I spotted (smelled may be more accurate), players smoking marijuana in a car in Napa. I could only ID the driver because of the tint.
    ===================================================
    This is bad, really freaking bad.

I know there’s a lot of ‘stoners’ here that will just laugh this off.

Just some players having some fun.

Weed and women, what’s not to like ?

Here’s what…

These guys are supposed to be in training camp.

This isn’t some fkng spring break.

Supposed to be getting ready for a difficult season.

Supposed to be focused on football.

Not supposed to be opening themselves up for arrest and endangering their careers.

Silly and unfocused in TC will translate to silly and unfocused in the regular season.

Hope the ‘stoners’ are just camp fodder having a short lived shot at some NFL ‘groupie’ glory and partying – bcz if not, what already figures to be a difficult season just became a little more precarious.

FTY

• Just Fire Baby

I counted Tollefson .5 sack as a D-lineman.

I think he was a DE so I will count it.

• mcfadden20.

Going 13-19 is bad , it doesn’t matter how many wins the team had before him , when a team uses a#1 pick on you , you gotta put them in the playoffs in first year and not the third or 4th

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

The job of a college HC is to win games and not develop talent for the NFL.

• Cervantes74

A 4th round pick getting beaten by an 8th round pick (AKA UDFA). Happens quite a bit.

Some guys are better workers.

My theory is that if you take a hard worker in college they’ll spend some of their time hard working in the classroom. Shocking as that may be.

Of course this distracts from preparing to play.

But once their drafted many of these kids can focus all their attention into their craft and show their full potential.

Cruz, Streater, McGloin?

****************************************
    Marks hair Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Wilson is getting beat by McGloin right now…. I just don’t see how that’s a smart pic when we had so many needs on defense.

• the famous dr robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    palmer took over an 4-2 team that was 8-8 the year before

well we know what happened 8-25
    ************

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    palmer won 8 of 24 games he stinks and the team got worse
    ***********
    Lol. Mcf20 caught him lying so he changed it.

Liars lie. Whenever they can.

• Just Fire Baby

My concern is are they smoking it coming INTO practice or leaving?

And I guess even if leaving, if dude can’t wait to get out of the parking lot to fire up, he is a slave to it. Thinking about it during practice.

As an addict, I know the feeling.

• Cervantes74

Anyone getting lit during TC needs to be run until they vomit or cut if they’re a scrub. Can’t have that around the team.

And I love me a good 420.

• Marks hair

there is a time and place for weed and training camp is not one of them..

• mcfadden20.

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    palmer won 8 of 24 games he stinks and the team got worse

cam is improving the panthers that were 2-14 before he took over

stop it there is no debate

there isnt a gm in the nfl that would take palmer over cam today

I doubt Car is happy with all the results they got from their #1 pick, while 4 rookies took their teams to playoffs and it doesn’t look good for Cam in his third year either , Atl is stacked , NO is gonna be back , wild card will come from NFC W and NFC East or NFC north

• the famous dr robert

New ppst

• The_Judge37

884.Cervantes74 Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 1:25 pm

And I love me a good 420.
    ———-

As punishment, we’re going to sit here and watch you smoke the whole bag

• MiamiRaider78

Oakland Raider Football is back!

Hopefully this season treats us faithful Raider fans to some excitement, noticeable improvement in all phases of football on the field and more wins than last year. :/

From what I’ve been reading on here and elsewhere is that Flynn looks very pedestrian/game manager type and Pryors mechanics have improved and so has his ability to pass?

If this is the case, I rather have Pryor start since his legs give him more of an opportunity to make things happen on the run than Flynn. Much left to be seen with the preseason games yet to be played but I’m hoping for the best for our QB’s…I mean, as a true Raider fan isn’t that what you would want?

Raider football til the death of me!!!

Go Raiders!!!

• realtruraider

SnBG Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 11:55 am
    Bergs is not a ZBS player.

———————————–

You’re right, but he isn’t a PBS player either…so what does that tell ya