Notes, quotes, practice update

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, August 5th, 2013 at 8:13 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders were still short on defensive linemen Monday but padded up anyway with a day off on Tuesday.

They had two more bodies than Sunday _ defensive tackle Stacy McGee returned and newly-signed Ryan Baker was immediately put into the mix.

Other players that returned included left guard Lucas Nix, who opened with the first team before giving way to Tony Bergstrom and linebacker Sio Moore. Return specialist Josh Cribbs, who tweeted he would probably be sitting out the Cowboys game in favor of younger players, got back into the mix late in practice after sitting out Monday.

Cornerback D.J. Hayden left briefly with a hamstring strain but later returned. Hayden is still wearing a red no-contact jersey, however, and was one of the players Allen ruled out of Friday’s game against Dallas.

“We’ll see where he’s at when we come back to work on Wednesday. The players are off tomorrow for the mandatory day off, so we’ll see where he’s at on Wednesday. DJ won’t play in the game against Dallas, and then we’ll kind of re-evaluate where we’re at with him after that,” Allen said.

Allen said Hayden being out is related to the offseason abdominal surgery for removing scar tissue and not the November surgery for repairing a torn blood vessel to his heart.

Others who won’t play include linebacker Kaluka Maiava, injured on one of the first days of practice and who was originally on crutches, as well as linebacker Miles Burris. Offensive tackle Menelik Watson could be added to that list, but Allen wouldn’t rule out defensive tackle Pat Sims until getting more information Wednesday. Sims has yet to take part in a training camp practice.

– Running back Jeremy Stewart came up with the catch of the day with a one-handed grab for a touchdown on a circle route from quarterback Matt Flynn. Denarius Moore, by contrast, had trouble holding on to the ball, with David Ausberry and Andre Holmes having some issues with drops as well.

– McGee looked fast and strong in getting the better of starting center Stefen Wisniewski in one-on-one blocking drills.

– Punter Chris Kluwe showed a nice touch kicking directionally to the corner near the end zone, as well as hitting balls with backspin which landed inside the 5-yard line.

– With Mike Jenkins and Terry Porter out for the second straight day, Chimdi Chekwa again worked with the first team. And Allen likes what he’s seen so far.

“I think Chimdi’s probably one of the most improved players on our team right now,” Allen said. “I think he’s had a nice camp. He’s done a nice job for us. He’s earned the right to be in the mix, and [we’re] anxious to see him go out in preseason games and see where he’s at.”

Another player who is moving up the ladder _ seventh-round draft pick Brice Butler.

“Brice Butler is a guy that for a seventh-round draft choice has stepped up and shown me some things,” Allen said.

– Allen said he would begin talking about a rotation for the Dallas game Wednesday with the players off. Offensive coordinator Greg Olson, Allen said, would call plays from the sideline, rather than the press box.

– Players from local high schools Napa, Vintage and American Canyon were invited guests of the Raiders along with their coaching staffs. They were given a pre-practice talk by former Raiders Sam Williams and Tony Stewart.

Former Raiders running back Justin Fargas was a practice guest.

• raideredoutL.A.

Tough to watch a game from field level, much more to call a game imo.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

Fargas may have been mediocre, but at least he had heart, and wasn’t injured and timid like several other RBs.

*******************************************************
    MistaBrown Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:38 pm
    And when we released him he did ZERO after that. Raider fan head over heels for mediocre players like Vargas & Nnamdi.

smh
    _________

Goldie7 Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:28 pm

“Justin Fargas was a practice guest.” Wow! I must be on the wrong blog or dreaming. Fargas was a practice guest? Why did we ever let this guy go in the first place? JF was the hardest working and toughest RB that we had. I miss Mr. Justin.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Question: Was Nnamdi ever great, or was he just a pretty good corner who teams never threw at because we had garbage on the other side?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Nnamdi could hit and tackle, blitz on occasion.
    Definetely remember tackles for loss on RB’s and swing passes, etc. No idea how he might compare to the average CB, statwise. Was seeing it before I knew there were people that thought he was overated.

• raideredoutL.A.

Remember from my first Raider games how much I loved watching plays develop from the nose bleeds.

• mcfadden20.

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:50 pm

–I think he was between good and pretty good, I don’t think he was all that great, Qb’s with balls always completed passes on him whenever they felt like it

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Goldie7 Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:49 pm

======================================

Fargas was an example of a good ZBS running back (at least between the twenties): nothing special, but he was sure-handed and ran exactly as he was told.

• Just Fire Baby

Great……… maybe for a year or two.

• raideredoutL.A.

Interested to see if Hayden ever plays tackle football again.

• Myopinion

Im feeling pryors gonna start.
    im really starting to think rm is a helluva lot smarter than we think.
    hes just keeping pryor down a lil bit longer, his little birdie about to fly. Pryor needed to be humbled,needed to gain that mj,kobe work ethic,mindstate,
    Flynn, who better to push u? perfect move for my conspiracy,and the best backup weve had since,since, idono.
    Also im with priest on the just let him play like a roth,or aromo for the most part, I think u get bigger plays scrambling if its a intended pass play.

• 0ak r8rs

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:50 pm

@@@@@@@

I don’t consider him great. I think he did have the ability to take a WR out of a game. He did have long arms as could play stride for stride in man coverage. My problem w him was always that he never made plays. Just like Huff. I mean, turn around and catch the damned ball once in a while?

And I think there is something to be said for reputation, and preferring to attack Routt and Chris Johnson.

• mcfadden20.

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:52 pm
    Goldie7 Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:49 pm

======================================

I still remember him getting caught from behind by Jason Taylor against phins

• mcfadden20.

RaideredoutL.A. Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:52 pm
    Interested to see if Hayden ever plays tackle football again.

He’s ready to go, just coaching taking baby steps with him

• mcfadden20.

New post

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    ======================================================

And was your run defense that good or were you easy to pass on. Pass D that good or were you easy to run on. Overall D that bad or on the field too long ‘cuz your O sucked, and vice versa.
    Without the chicken/egg questions, where would our blog be?

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:52 pm
    Goldie7 Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:49 pm

======================================

******************************************************
    Also, he wanted to be a Raider, and was never a diva….like many other RBs. Justin wanted to win.

• Scourge

You :mrgreen: !

How are you tonight? Thingz well in the NW?

:cool: :mrgreen:

Freee the Beeech Diggs Now!!!!

• Scourge

Wonder if Fargas has anything left in the tank. I know he hasn’t played in a few years.

• Raiderfusion

Namndi: Was between good and outstanding, can’t be considered great because he has very few takeaways. He was an excellent cover guy until they went to a zone where he seemed to be totally lost. I think if you go back to game film you’ll see that’s true, almost all receptions against him were when they switched to zone coverage. In Philly they played almost exclusively zone schemes, and he looked like a fish out of water. I’m willing to bet he’ll have good season in SF under Fangio.
    Vargas was a warrior a throwback to the Raiders of old who just said point me to the field, I don’t care how beat up I am. Loved watching him play, he had the heart of a lion. Maybe not the greatest back to have played the game, he was fearless.
    I go in Thursday for a total left knee replacement. Anyone have any ideas how I can get the game on Friday. Although I’m going to be so drugged out of my mind to kill the pain I’m not sure I’ll even know there’s a game on.
    I can’t stand people who feel they have to tell people what to do for their own good, but I’ll just pass a little information onto you and you can use it of not. I’m having operation because I thought I was a tough guy, play through the pain. I’m 62 and up until about 2 yrs ago I was playing anywhere from 6-9 hours of tennis a day. I did this because I was playing with guys who were half my age, and felt I needed to work that hard to compete with their young legs and eyes. Well all I really was doing was pounding my knees into submission. Then I took some time off and had accupuncture, which only masked the problem. I started playing again and proceeded to tear all the cartilage up in my left knee. My advice be a smart a$$ and pay attention to your body and not a dumb a$$ like me.

• Raiderfusion

Purvisman: There was a year when we were ranked #5 in the league in passing, and the reason for that was that our offense couldn’t score and our run D was horrible. Because of this an opposing team once they got ahead all they had to do, was run the ball down our throats. I’ve always believed that everything starts in the trenches, and works out from there. Now our Defense this year might be a little different, in that I’m hoping the LBs and DBs will cover a little better to give our DLine a fraction of a second more time to put pressure on the QB. I liken it back to the time Haynes and Hayes were our DBs, they gave our line the time they needed at the time.