Raiders add Baker to wounded D-line

The Raiders announced the signing of defensive lineman Ryan Baker Monday, bringing some depth to an injury-ravaged position.

Baker, 6-foot-5 and 302 pounds, played in 17 games over four seasons with the Miami Dolphins. He worked out for defensive coaches and the personnel staff following Sunday’s practice, during which the Raiders had seven defensive lineman who were held out of practice.

Nose tackle Johnny Jones, out since the beginning of camp with an undisclosed injury, was waived/injured, meaning he will be put on injured reserve once he clears waivers.

Baker was predominantly a defensive end in Miami, although listing him as a lineman indicates they believe he can play tackle as well.

Aside from Jones, defensive linemen who were unable to practice Sunday were end/tackle Brandon Bair, tackle Myles Wade, tackle Pat Sims, tackle Stacey McGee, tackle Vance Walker and end Lamarr Houston.

Sims has not participated in any of the Raiders nine training camp practices leading into Monday’s session at 2:50 p.m.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

0ak r8rs Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:38 pm

=======================================

Link?

• Just Fire Baby

DVD hurt his hamstring, out for awhile.

Bruce Campbell also hurt and not practicing.

Not football players.

• 0ak r8rs

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:31 pm
    I get to watch the game live on the Cowboys feed, with Babe Laufenkeugel or whatever calling it.

Should be an interesting non-bias opinion on the Raiders.

@@@@@@

Far from it. If its anything like last year, they won’t have any opinions at all about the Raiders. It was like the Cowboys were playing themselves.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

0ak r8rs Says:
    =====================================================

Still, Oak? He was medically cleared for full contact professional football, NFL style long ago. The org. also said weeks ago that he’d play in preseason, but probably not right off the bat.

• C2E

Thx Oak. Rather see Hayden sit out most of the pre-seasonal actually.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Prior to his hamstring injury, Hayden was having a good practice.”

“His offseason abdominal surgery will. The first-round draft pick hasn’t been medically cleared for full contact, and was officially ruled out Monday by coach Dennis Allen.”

Did you really expect him to be in football shape after being hospitalized in the off season? I doubt he is going to play much this year.

• 0ak r8rs

It’s off a bleacher report app. So I can’t get a link. But here’s the whole article:

Editor’s note: Training camp is underway. For all the latest news on the Silver and Black, check out our Raiders training camp page.

NAPA – Raiders cornerback D.J. Hayden suffered a hamstring strain on Monday afternoon, but that won’t keep him out of Friday’s preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys.

Allen also said the decision to hold Hayden out had nothing to do with his heart condition, which originated when he ruptured a blood vessel near his heart during a University of Houston practice.

Hayden suffered a hamstring strain on a passing drill, yet finished practice at less than full strength.

“We’ll see where he’s at on Wednesday, following the mandatory off day tomorrow,” Allen said. “He won’t play in the game and we’ll re-evaluate him after that.”

In addition to Hayden, Allen ruled out linebackers Kaluka Maiava and Miles Burris, who have one practice between them this camp. Defensive tackle Pat Sims, who is on the active physically unable to perform list, will be evaluated Wednesday before his playing status is determined. Offensive lineman Menelik Watson wasn’t formally ruled out, but he hasn’t practiced and is on the non-football injury list.

• rudegruden

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:43 pm
    “Prior to his hamstring injury, Hayden was having a good practice.”

———-
    Yeah, the more he goes on and off, the more injuries like this will happen. I don’t expect him on the field much.

• rudegruden

Does anyone know wtf is wrong with Watson?

• 0ak r8rs

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:42 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    =====================================================

@@@@@@

Umh. I’m quoting an article since for some reason you thought I was making it up. You can apologize now. ;)

I have no opinion one way or the other at this point. I’m glad he’s practicing. And did not expect him to play Friday.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Watson is not in shape

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Watson is not in shape”

What a wanker!

What the hell is wrong with these athletes you get a chance to play in the NFL and you show up to camp out of shape?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:37 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Just read the Pittsburgh Steelers are intergrating the ZBS system this year.

Now the two toughest teams in the AFC, Steelers and Ravens, are ZBS teams.

We had the right idea, wrong coach for it.

========================================

Exactly. Forget Frank Pollack. Shoulda hired Alex Gibbs.
    ———————-
    Wrong Player for it.

• 0ak r8rs

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:49 pm
    Watson is not in shape

@@@@@@@

I’ll be pissed if he isn’t. I’m actually hoping its a calf injury. All that feel good crap about his tough background and his daughter back in England, and he gets a fat contract and shows up full of pizza and burgers? I’ll flip the fack out. Damnit.

• rudegruden

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:51 pm
    “Watson is not in shape”

What a wanker!

———
    A promising sign. Out of shape OL that has only played 13 games.

• PlunkforHOF

Fckn NFLN…. “Packer Nation”

THERE IS ONLY ONE NATION

• 0ak r8rs

Still waiting, Purvisman……

• jesusraiderjim

Just read a tweet that took me to an Eagles page

Sounds just like the racist shvt in our blog, un freaking believable.

• rudegruden

Jesusraiderjim Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:55 pm
    Just read a tweet that took me to an Eagles page

Sounds just like the racist shvt in our blog, un freaking believable.

———
    Because there are idiots all over the country. Unfortunately, racist idiots get all the attention, when in fact we should just ignore them.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Well the local UK radio station had watson on and they were calling him the fridge lol

• 0ak r8rs

And btw, if he is out of shape, I called it on TC eve when he was listed non football injury or whatever it was called.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Oak, I was about to apologise before reading your post, and do, having just scanned Levi’s article. Team doctors have not cleared him. Other doctors had, and Reggie had said what I said weeks ago. So there we are.

• Just Fire Baby

Does anyone know wtf is wrong with Watson?

***********************************

He has been in one training camp is whole life.

Unless you count Saddleback college.

I don’t.

Terrible pick

• 0ak r8rs

Jesusraiderjim Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:55 pm
    Just read a tweet that took me to an Eagles page

Sounds just like the racist shvt in our blog, un freaking believable.

@@@@@@@”

Wait, what? I’m not seeing any racism in that article. What am I missing?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

0ak r8rs Says:
    Still waiting, Purvisman……
    ==================================

Seriously, I was proactively double checking myself. Sorry. And I agree and said as much, about him probably being less conditioned than desirable, with surgery late may, and a 6-8 week recovery.
    Still not concerned.

• 0ak r8rs

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:58 pm

@@@@@@@

This is actually the first I heard he wasn’t cleared too. Trust me, you would have heard it From me before now! Haha

I thought they were just being cautious w the red jersey.

• 0ak r8rs

KoolKell Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:52 pm
    Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:37 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Just read the Pittsburgh Steelers are intergrating the ZBS system this year.

Now the two toughest teams in the AFC, Steelers and Ravens, are ZBS teams.

We had the right idea, wrong coach for it.

========================================

Exactly. Forget Frank Pollack. Shoulda hired Alex Gibbs.
    ———————-
    Wrong Player for it.

@@@@@@”

Wrong everything. And steelers can’t run anyway, they don’t have anything to lose. We did. And we did.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

0ak r8rs Says:
    I thought they were just being cautious w the red jersey.
    =======================================================

When he came out in the black jersey, then switched to red, I think that wa entirely his idea and he didn’t get away with it. He did try to sneak in line on the tackling drills and got yanked back out.
    Got to like his attitude!

• 0ak r8rs

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:08 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    I thought they were just being cautious w the red jersey.
    =======================================================

Got to like his attitude!

@@@@@@

I do. And I’ve backed off of him because I honestly didn’t think he’d see the field for TC at all. So I’m happy he’s out there. I’m not convinced, but I am less concerned.

Maybe I can start focusing on that fat tub of shlt Watson now?

• raideredoutL.A.

Not liking much from camp reports, injuries, sloppy o play, both lines depleted, and player(s) smoking tree in the parking lot?

• Just Fire Baby

I have no issues with Hayden.

He will be fine and a major contributor before year end.

Watson = football player by default

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

raideredoutL.A. Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 8:12 pm

======================================

Injuries are happening to every team in the league. We’re not special in that regard.

And the ganja use might not have even been us. Cowboys are training in town as well.

• Just Fire Baby

I have never been to a training camp practice, and this new tweeting of every play in practice is fairly new.

But it seems like we drop a shatload of passes.

Trying to through the Cat Scratch Reader (Panthers blog) and other tweets to see if they report on the same stuff.

They are much less active then our guys on twitter (because they actually write lots of articles but I digress) but nope, nothing about multiple drops coupled with groans from the crowd.

We need playmakers. Like 3 of them.

I am pinning all my hope on Rivera. Go get em son.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

KoolKell Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:37 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 5th, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Just read the Pittsburgh Steelers are intergrating the ZBS system this year.

Now the two toughest teams in the AFC, Steelers and Ravens, are ZBS teams.

We had the right idea, wrong coach for it.

========================================

Exactly. Forget Frank Pollack. Shoulda hired Alex Gibbs.
    ———————-
    Wrong Player for it.
    ========================================

I hope you’re just getting sloppy and meant ‘players’, ‘cuz I think ZBS affects most of the offense. QB and WR’s less than the rest, but certainly Oline TE’s RB’s and HB’s.
    Or was it just one player that doomed Knapp?

• raideredoutL.A.

Read a report from camp that o-line looking shakey in pass pro, against who though?

• 0ak r8rs

Jack Nicholson dancing to a Prince song. Holy crap. Idc if he’s the joker or not. It’s just not right.

• Pingback: Oakland Raiders Links That You’ll Want To See August 5, 2013 | Raiders Central | Oakland Raiders Blog