1,311

Q&A with Raiders coach Dennis Allen

A transcription of a conference call between beat writers and Raiders coach Dennis Allen:

Q: Did you come out of the game as healthy as you thought?

Allen: Just like after the game, Keenan Clayton, he’ll be questionable for practice tomorrow. But other than that, I think we came out fairly healthy. Mike Brisiel, I’ll probably rest him at practice tomorrow. I think everybody’s going to end up being fine coming out of the game, kind of your normal after-a-game bumps and bruises.

Q: How did Tony Bergstrom do with the first-team line?

Allen: You know what, I was pleased with what Tony did working with the first team line. I thought he made an improvement. Still like to see him a little more powerful in his run blocking but I thought he was better in protection, so I thought he took a step forward last night.

Q: What about Brisiel at right guard?

Allen: Well, I don’t think, that’s one of the reasons I wanted to give him a day off. I don’t think he’s 100 percent healthy right now. I don’t think he played, obviously as well as we would have liked, and really as well as he would like. I want to try and get him some rest, get him healed back up where he’s feeling a little bit better and give him a little bit better opportunity.

Q: Nix had practiced in the days leading up to the game . . . why didn’t he play?

Allen: Totally different injury. But again, when I say injury, it’s another one of those nicks and I didn’t want to put him in the game and take the chance of really setting him back and missing him for an extended period of time. I don’t anticipate he’ll be out for a long period of time, but we’re going to try and get him healthy.

Q: Could you see a lot of people potentially coming back from injury next couple of days?

Allen: I’m hoping that we’ll have some guys back to play in the game for sure. But I think we’ll have to play that out as the week goes along.

Q: Your assessment of quarterback Matt McGloin . . .

Allen: well, I thought he held his poise in the pocket, I thought he did a nice job of making some good decisions, making some good throws, made a heck of a throw there to Brice Butler, who also made a great catch on the play. I think the thing that you see from Matt is he is composed. He does have poise in the pocket and he doesn’t get rattled, you know, and for a guy who is an undrafted free agent, to handle himself the way he’s handled himself in pressure situations has been a nice surprise.

Q: Have a lot of corners, did any of those guys in second tier separate themselves?

Allen: I don’t know that anybody has really created a huge separation. I thought overall they all played fairly well. We’ve got to do a better job of setting the edge on the defense on a couple of those runs, they got outside of us. But I thought Phillip Adams stepped up a little bit in the game and showed some improvement from what I’d seen so far and in minicamp. I’m pleased with where we are from a depth standpoint. I thought Chance Casey came in and played well in his role. I like where we’re at, I like the fact that we have some depth. I think it’s a good thing when have those challenging decisions when you start thinking about who’s going to make it to the 53-man roster. When you’ve got tough decisions on guys who can play football, that’s a good things.

Q: How did Taiwan Jones do in game action at corner?

Allen: I thought, obviously, he’s a, it’s a physical skill set that he has and he’s got that physical ability to play the game. There’s still a lot of things that we’ve got to clean up, just understanding the cornerback position from alignments and assignments and stuff like that. He’s pretty solid on his assignments, but there’s still just some details to the position that we’ve got to continue to work with him on, but like I said before, Taiwan is exceptional on special teams. You watch the first kickoff of the game, he goes down there, he’s on the 10-yard line when the returner is just starting to return the ball. That’s something that you can’t discount.

Q: Blocked field goal, good kick coverage, guys like Branch and Porter on special teams units, kind of the mindset establish, that you’ll put best guys out there to get things done?

Allen: We’ve got to improve special teams, I think that’s one of the first places where you can improve your football team. We’ve put a big emphasis on special teams this year and trying to improve in that area. I thought we did a good job in the game, both in the return game and in the coverage units, as well as field goal and field goal block. I thought we executed for the most part on the field goal team and obviously we had the big block there on the second drive of the game. So it’s a huge emphasis for us this year and we’ve got to get better in that area.

Q: Was everyone in tune with assignments as much as it seemed?

Allen: I thought for the first preseason game I was really pleased with the execution of our football team. I thought from a game plan standpoint I thought we played the game physical, I thought we were able to control the clock on offense. A lot of times you get into these preseason games and they can get sloppy. I think we had four penalties in the game. I thought for the first preseason game the execution and the attention to detail was pretty good.

Q: What kind of progress do you want to see before next game?

Allen: I think the big thing is we have to continue to learn how to play in situations. We had a couple of instances in the game where just situationally we have to be a little better. There in the four minute we could have executed the four minute a little bit better and run the clock down a little bit more before we snapped the ball. We had the situation where Terrelle threw the interception down there in the end zone. Just some situational things, playing the game smart that we have to continue to improve on.

Q: Called Pryor aside after the interception, was thata a coachable moment and did he learn something?

Allen: Absolutely it’s a teachable moment. You have to take advantage of all those teachable moments. That’s been one thing that we’ve consistently talked to Terrelle about. In those situations, don’t be afraid to use your legs. Don’t be afraid to use your skill set and that was a situation there where I felt like he really could have pressed the edge and we had a chance to have a high-low on the corner. What you can’t do is not every play has to be a great play, not every play has to be a spectacular play. Sometimes the best play is to make the easy throw, keep yourself on schedule. Those are things you deal with with all the young players and Terrelle is really no exception to that rule. I think we all can learn from those types of situations.

Q: What was your impression of defensive end Ryan Robertson?

Allen: I thought Ryan was a guy who gave us a little juice off the edge. He’s a little bit of an undersized defensive end but he does have some pass rush ability. I think we want to continue to try to look at him throughout the preseason and see if he can give us something from a pass rushing standpoint.

Q: Drops have been an off and on issue, did you think you were more sure-handed against Dallas?

Allen: I did. Obviously we had a couple of drops in the game and they would have been tough catches. I thought overall we executed pretty well in the passing game. I thought everybody was really for the most part everybody was on the same page and reading out the defense the same way from a wide receiver, tight ends, quarterback. I thought they all were on the same page with what we were doing. Overall I thought we executed well. There are still some things we have to get cleaned up. Like I said I want to use these preseason games it’s as much learning how to play the game of football and how to be situationally smart as it is do you know what to do on this particular, how to line up in this particular formation, how to run this particular route. How do you do those things within each individual situation in the game.

Q: Was the sack-fumble a pre-snap issue or should someone should have stayed in?

Allen: Listen it was a protection issue. we got a little hung up on the linebacker. We should have came back with the linebacker. Really you put that on everybody. You put that on the back, you put that on the quarterback, you put that on the offensive line. It was just something where we just had a little bit of a mental lapse. We’ll learn from it. They ran the same exact pressure in the next series, we picked it up exactly right and made a big play. It’s something that you learn from and move on from.

Q: Any chance you might keep four quarterbacks?

Allen: I think we’ll look at that when we get closer to cut-down date. We’re way far ahead of ourselves as far as that’s concerned. We’re going to keep the 53-best players that we feel like give us a chance to have success on Sundays. Whether that’s three quarterbacks, four quarterbacks, two quarterbacks, I don’t know the answer to that yet. That picture will become more clear as we get closer to the end of preseason.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• eastoaklandraider

J Hill Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 2m

Andre Holmes makes a spectacular leaping catch over two defenders. And the beat goes on.

—————————————————————————–

I just don’t see how some of you have Ford as a lock.

Butler and Holmes are clearly threatening his spot.
    ————

He’s a lock because of his ST ability, Cribbs could easily go down.

• Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:29 pm
    They act like that for a reason. MOST 4th round picks make the roster. If I had to guess, I would say 90% of 4th round picks make the roster.

***********************************

I would say higher in the first year.

But by year two or three, that number falls way off.

Arman Shields made the team, as a 4th round pick, for one year.

Just rip the band-aid off I say, but we shall see.

But I think if Wilson continues to run an impressive preseason and camp resume, nobody should be real concerned that he won’t clear waivers.

Nobody wants our trash, especially at QB, on their 53. They would want him on their PS just like us.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I can see him making a roster as a 3rd string QB, and a young guy to develop.

• Just Fire Baby

I think the Flynn signing was for security, and I think that’s a good thing.

**************************

In the grand scheme, we are paying our whole QB unit less than most teams (save for the Russell Wilson 3rd round pick types) and massively less than some.

Didn’t mind the Flynn trade at all, and Palmer had to go.

But guaranteeing Flynn’s salary makes him almost a lock on the roster for 2014.

Can’t really INITIATE guaranteeing a guys salary, then cutting him 10 months later and taking the dead cap hit.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I’d take JENKINS over FORD even though he is not as fast. He looks like a football player and he will practice.

We need players that practice.

• eastoaklandraider

Bergs and Brisel are not made for the power game esp against the bigger stronger DT’s.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I want to see burris get back just as a pure pass rusher in a 3-4 look

• Just Fire Baby

If someone picks up Wilson or McGloin off waivers, they have to put them on the 53 and cut someone else, completely cite unseen.

Now they can certainly cut him the next day, but it just seems logical to me.

Whichever one gets cut, will be on the practice squad.

May the BEST man win the job.

• J Hill Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 2m

—————————————————————————–

I just don’t see how some of you have Ford as a lock.

Butler and Holmes are clearly threatening his spot.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ford’s speed makes him a threat every time he touches the ball. He has solid hands too.
    Butler looked good camp and preseason. Go Aztecs!! Fear The Spear MFers!!
    Streater
    Moore
    Ford
    Criner
    Butler
    Cribbs

• eastoaklandraider

Ford should be back at practice this week.

• lefty12

Bergstrom played in the power scheme i college as a RT.Pretty sure he can handle LG.He did well the other night.

• Just Fire Baby

Bergs was kicking azz on Friday.

Watch him in the TP series. That TP run down the sideline, he completley turns and pushed his man down toward the the other sideline.

The Jennings long run, he is the lead blocker and demolishes the LB.

Was the lead on one of the Jennings short yardage runs as well.

Sparano and Olson clearly made him the focal point of the ground games blocking scheme.

• xraided

J Hill Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:31 pm
    Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 2m

—————————————————————————–

I just don’t see how some of you have Ford as a lock.

Butler and Holmes are clearly threatening his spot.

__________

lovin’ it! get Ford out of here! guy isn’t a football player like Butler and Holmes are

between them and streater/moore .. we could have a decent WR corps this year given they stay healthy.

i am picturing TP at the helm with a 4 WR set with these guys and Reece/DMC(or Murray) in the backfield.

scary stuff for defensive coordinators

• 6 WRs and 6 CBs on the 53 man roster.

• LTR

I thought Flynns’s deal was 6.5 mil guaranteed over 2 years and the team reworked the deal so all of the guaranteed money was moved into this year.

• J Hill

He’s a lock because of his ST ability,

——————————————————————————-

So you think Ford had April convinced to the point where he’s going to lobby for Ford?

I’d bet Cribbs, Jones, and Jenkins are ahead of him for KR duties.

• If your playing Power, you probably want Power Guards.

• xraided

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:41 pm
    Bergs was kicking azz on Friday.

The Jennings long run, he is the lead blocker and demolishes the LB.

Was the lead on one of the Jennings short yardage runs as well.

_____________

i just DVR’d it… 11pm on NFLN tonight… i’ll definitely check it out then

very much liking this from Bergz.

so much for the Reggie hatin little b1tches hatin on that pick, huh?

• lefty12

We could always keep 4 QBs for the 1st 4 weeks while Holmes serves his suspension then waive 1 to clear a roster spot.Then that guy could be added to the PS.Doubt anyone would pick them up week 4.

• 3 QBs

Cribbs

————————————————————————–

Moore
    Butler
    Streater
    Criner

Cribbs, Holmes, Ford, and Jenkins are all fighting for the last spot, imo.

And it’s WIDE the eff open.

• xraided

KoolKell Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    If your playing Power, you probably want Power Guards.
    ______

Carlisle nor Satele were “power guards” in Hue’s “power blocking scheme” right ?

they didn’t do that bad in that scheme from what i can tell

there’s a very gray line between zone blocking and power blocking guards…

• No way in Hell, any Team carries 4 QBs

• Just Fire Baby

******************************

I believe he only had 2 million guaranteed left when w traded for him, but a higher salary (most non-guaranteed) so we went ahead and moved salary to a bonus this year, and also guaranteed most of his salary next year.

We definitely saved cap room this year, by not giving him any more NEW money, but slapping a guarantee on next years.

• lefty12

Is Criner really a lock?

• xraided

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Now they can certainly cut him the next day, but it just seems logical to me.

Whichever one gets cut, will be on the practice squad.

May the BEST man win the job.

______

exactly

• eastoaklandraider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:41 pm
    Bergs was kicking azz on Friday.

The Jennings long run, he is the lead blocker and demolishes the LB.

Was the lead on one of the Jennings short yardage runs as well.

—————-

We’ll se how he fares against some of the bigger stronger DT’s.

• J Hill

Can someone clarify the Holmes situation?

I thought he has to make the 53. When he does, are you saying we get a roster exemption?

I thought we essentially had to play with 52 players.

• Just Fire Baby

there’s a very gray line between zone blocking and power blocking guards…

******************************

Exactly.

It is still “down, set, hike, immediately crash into a 330 pound dude”.

Yes there are angles and more zone runs that rely on the RB to read the angles, but people act like a ZBS guard is not giving full max effort in stregth or something.

• lefty12

KK,I seriously doubt they will keep 4 also.I was just throwing out a scenario where we could keep all 4 for conversation purposes.

• Xraided Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:44 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    If your playing Power, you probably want Power Guards.
    ______

they didn’t do that bad in that scheme from what i can tell

there’s a very gray line between zone blocking and power blocking guards…
    —————————————-
    Satele was a Center, and I think a Power type.

But Yes, Carlisle worked pretty good. ……. Briesel, Berg……?

• Plunketthead

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:18 pm
    Dufner is part of these new young cats that love the game and no shannigans.

Watson is one too. Just walk up and rip it, no extended looks, no make everyone wait while I walk up to the green (looking at you Tiger), no cursing and throwing tantrums.

The future of golf has never looked better, IMO, with or without Tiger winning or even competing for Majors.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I usually lose interest after tigger chokes on another
    open, however Beaver Cleaver & Eddie Haskel kept me captivated. Haskel is anal as blog trolls but Beaver has that swagger before he swings

• lefty12

J,I thought we could keep someone until he returns,then we have to make a move to activate him but I’m not sure.

• Just Fire Baby

We’ll se how he fares against some of the bigger stronger DT’s.

*******************************

You mean in the regular season?

No “bigger and stronger DT’s” in New Orleans or Chicago really.

Not sure where this “weakling” theory is for Bergs. His reps at the combine were extremely high, more than Wiz, more than most O-lineman. Think he had the 8th most at the combine, of any player.

And a whole 2 less than “Beast Campbell”.

• eastoaklandraider

Xraided Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:44 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    If your playing Power, you probably want Power Guards.
    ______

they didn’t do that bad in that scheme from what i can tell

there’s a very gray line between zone blocking and power blocking guards…
    —————

Both were pushed around at times, when they faced bigger stronger comp, and it will be the same with Bergs and Brisel. Just not strong enough against the big boys.

• Just Fire Baby

I hope we keep Holmes, just so we can get a CONCRETE answer to how this roster thing plays out with the suspension.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

—————————

I think its fully six guarenteed if he is cut this year

• RaidO

Flynn has $6.5 mil guaranteed this year. That’s it.

“The Raiders will pay him $6.5 million guaranteed for the 2013 season. Flynn would have made $5.25 million had he stayed in Seattle, but only $2 million was guaranteed if the Seahawks cut him.

In the second year, in 2014, Flynn’s base salary drops from $6.25 million to $5 million flat. The contract also has incentives and escalators that can bring the value up to $15.25 million”

$6.5 million guaranteed (Signing Bonus + 2013 base)

• eastoaklandraider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:51 pm
    We’ll se how he fares against some of the bigger stronger DT’s.

*******************************

You mean in the regular season?
    ————–

• RaidO

Oh and that’s way to much money for Flynn
    NOT WORTH IT

• Twocents

Locks at WR: Streater, Moore and Butler. Everyone else will have to step up.

• Just Fire Baby

And the “bigger, stronger” DT’s push EVERYBODY around.

Nobody has an answer for Vince Wilfork, he has been pushing around guards with 1 arm for 10 years.

Pro Bowl ones, undrafted ones, don’t matter.

Franklin and others included.

Great D-line beats a great O-line most times, just like pitching in baseball.

• LTR

Flynn was due $5.25 million per his contract when the Raiders signed him. With his restructure, the Raiders save in the long run but his 2013 salary jumps up to $6.5 million. The other kicker is that money is all guaranteed. So, if you were wondering if Flynn was going to make the team, the answer is yes
    *************
    I don’t think there is a cap hit next year if we cut Flynn loose after the this season

• the famous dr robert

Hey loser bot. Nice job NOT being a loser by counting and copying all 300 posts.

Ur officially my biggest and most obsessive fan.

I posted 300 of the dopest, funniest, and intelligent posts ever created.

U calculated them and spent a lot if time on me.

Way to go! Such a non loser.

Lol.

• lefty12

Why do you say Bergs isn’t strong enough?What do you base this on?Because he isn’t Warmack?

• Lets see how Flynn plays first, ok. Before we start ” figurin” cap hits.

• the famous dr robert

LOSER-BOT Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:24 pm
    LOSER-BOT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED OF ADDITIONAL POSTING ABUSE.
    A SECOND RANDOM SEARCH OF THE POSTER BELOW SHOWS THE FIRST TIME WHERE HE POSTED MORE THAN 250 TIMES IN TWO DAYS WAS NOT A FLUKE.
    RANDOM SCANNING SHOWS THAT IN A ONE DAY PERIOD, THE 2ND, THIS POSTER HAS POSTED MORE THAN 170 TIMES.
    THAT IS NOT A TYPO.
    IN THIS TWO DAY PERIOD THIS POSTER HAS MORE THAN 300 POSTS.
    SADDER STILL IS THIS POSTER POSTED AT 1:20 AM, AND WAS BACK 7 HOURS LATER, AT 8:20 AM. WHICH MEANS THIS LOSER FELL ASLEEP WHILE POSTING, AND WOKE UP AND IMMEDIATELY RUSHED BACK TO THE BLOG.
    IT IS NOW OFFICIAL. THIS IS THE BIGGEST LOSER ON THE PLANET.
    PAT HIM ON THE HEAD, AND TELL HIM HIS LIFE CAN ONLY GO UP FROM HERE, BECAUSE HE HAS HIT ROCK BOTTOM.

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 9:45 pm
    **********
    Word

• the famous dr robert

LOSER-BOT Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:24 pm
    LOSER-BOT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED OF ADDITIONAL POSTING ABUSE.
    THAT IS NOT A TYPO.
    IN THIS TWO DAY PERIOD THIS POSTER HAS MORE THAN 300 POSTS.
    IT IS NOW OFFICIAL. THIS IS THE BIGGEST LOSER ON THE PLANET.

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 9:45 pm
    ********
    Interesting

• 0ak r8rs

KoolKell Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:56 pm
    Lets see how Flynn plays first, ok. Before we start ” figurin” cap hits.

@@@@@@@@@

One of the most reasonable things said all day.

• the famous dr robert

LOSER-BOT Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 4:24 pm
    LOSER-BOT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED OF ADDITIONAL POSTING ABUSE.
    THAT IS NOT A TYPO.
    IN THIS TWO DAY PERIOD THIS POSTER HAS MORE THAN 300 POSTS.
    IT IS NOW OFFICIAL. THIS IS THE BIGGEST LOSER ON THE PLANET.

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 9:21 pm the famous dr robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 9:22 pm the famous dr robert Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 9:45 pm
    **********
    No I mean it. Good job.

• Twocents

I have faith that Sparano will put together the best OL possible.
    It’s the DL that has me worried.