1,311

Q&A with Raiders coach Dennis Allen

A transcription of a conference call between beat writers and Raiders coach Dennis Allen:

Q: Did you come out of the game as healthy as you thought?

Allen: Just like after the game, Keenan Clayton, he’ll be questionable for practice tomorrow. But other than that, I think we came out fairly healthy. Mike Brisiel, I’ll probably rest him at practice tomorrow. I think everybody’s going to end up being fine coming out of the game, kind of your normal after-a-game bumps and bruises.

Q: How did Tony Bergstrom do with the first-team line?

Allen: You know what, I was pleased with what Tony did working with the first team line. I thought he made an improvement. Still like to see him a little more powerful in his run blocking but I thought he was better in protection, so I thought he took a step forward last night.

Q: What about Brisiel at right guard?

Allen: Well, I don’t think, that’s one of the reasons I wanted to give him a day off. I don’t think he’s 100 percent healthy right now. I don’t think he played, obviously as well as we would have liked, and really as well as he would like. I want to try and get him some rest, get him healed back up where he’s feeling a little bit better and give him a little bit better opportunity.

Q: Nix had practiced in the days leading up to the game . . . why didn’t he play?

Allen: Totally different injury. But again, when I say injury, it’s another one of those nicks and I didn’t want to put him in the game and take the chance of really setting him back and missing him for an extended period of time. I don’t anticipate he’ll be out for a long period of time, but we’re going to try and get him healthy.

Q: Could you see a lot of people potentially coming back from injury next couple of days?

Allen: I’m hoping that we’ll have some guys back to play in the game for sure. But I think we’ll have to play that out as the week goes along.

Q: Your assessment of quarterback Matt McGloin . . .

Allen: well, I thought he held his poise in the pocket, I thought he did a nice job of making some good decisions, making some good throws, made a heck of a throw there to Brice Butler, who also made a great catch on the play. I think the thing that you see from Matt is he is composed. He does have poise in the pocket and he doesn’t get rattled, you know, and for a guy who is an undrafted free agent, to handle himself the way he’s handled himself in pressure situations has been a nice surprise.

Q: Have a lot of corners, did any of those guys in second tier separate themselves?

Allen: I don’t know that anybody has really created a huge separation. I thought overall they all played fairly well. We’ve got to do a better job of setting the edge on the defense on a couple of those runs, they got outside of us. But I thought Phillip Adams stepped up a little bit in the game and showed some improvement from what I’d seen so far and in minicamp. I’m pleased with where we are from a depth standpoint. I thought Chance Casey came in and played well in his role. I like where we’re at, I like the fact that we have some depth. I think it’s a good thing when have those challenging decisions when you start thinking about who’s going to make it to the 53-man roster. When you’ve got tough decisions on guys who can play football, that’s a good things.

Q: How did Taiwan Jones do in game action at corner?

Allen: I thought, obviously, he’s a, it’s a physical skill set that he has and he’s got that physical ability to play the game. There’s still a lot of things that we’ve got to clean up, just understanding the cornerback position from alignments and assignments and stuff like that. He’s pretty solid on his assignments, but there’s still just some details to the position that we’ve got to continue to work with him on, but like I said before, Taiwan is exceptional on special teams. You watch the first kickoff of the game, he goes down there, he’s on the 10-yard line when the returner is just starting to return the ball. That’s something that you can’t discount.

Q: Blocked field goal, good kick coverage, guys like Branch and Porter on special teams units, kind of the mindset establish, that you’ll put best guys out there to get things done?

Allen: We’ve got to improve special teams, I think that’s one of the first places where you can improve your football team. We’ve put a big emphasis on special teams this year and trying to improve in that area. I thought we did a good job in the game, both in the return game and in the coverage units, as well as field goal and field goal block. I thought we executed for the most part on the field goal team and obviously we had the big block there on the second drive of the game. So it’s a huge emphasis for us this year and we’ve got to get better in that area.

Q: Was everyone in tune with assignments as much as it seemed?

Allen: I thought for the first preseason game I was really pleased with the execution of our football team. I thought from a game plan standpoint I thought we played the game physical, I thought we were able to control the clock on offense. A lot of times you get into these preseason games and they can get sloppy. I think we had four penalties in the game. I thought for the first preseason game the execution and the attention to detail was pretty good.

Q: What kind of progress do you want to see before next game?

Allen: I think the big thing is we have to continue to learn how to play in situations. We had a couple of instances in the game where just situationally we have to be a little better. There in the four minute we could have executed the four minute a little bit better and run the clock down a little bit more before we snapped the ball. We had the situation where Terrelle threw the interception down there in the end zone. Just some situational things, playing the game smart that we have to continue to improve on.

Q: Called Pryor aside after the interception, was thata a coachable moment and did he learn something?

Allen: Absolutely it’s a teachable moment. You have to take advantage of all those teachable moments. That’s been one thing that we’ve consistently talked to Terrelle about. In those situations, don’t be afraid to use your legs. Don’t be afraid to use your skill set and that was a situation there where I felt like he really could have pressed the edge and we had a chance to have a high-low on the corner. What you can’t do is not every play has to be a great play, not every play has to be a spectacular play. Sometimes the best play is to make the easy throw, keep yourself on schedule. Those are things you deal with with all the young players and Terrelle is really no exception to that rule. I think we all can learn from those types of situations.

Q: What was your impression of defensive end Ryan Robertson?

Allen: I thought Ryan was a guy who gave us a little juice off the edge. He’s a little bit of an undersized defensive end but he does have some pass rush ability. I think we want to continue to try to look at him throughout the preseason and see if he can give us something from a pass rushing standpoint.

Q: Drops have been an off and on issue, did you think you were more sure-handed against Dallas?

Allen: I did. Obviously we had a couple of drops in the game and they would have been tough catches. I thought overall we executed pretty well in the passing game. I thought everybody was really for the most part everybody was on the same page and reading out the defense the same way from a wide receiver, tight ends, quarterback. I thought they all were on the same page with what we were doing. Overall I thought we executed well. There are still some things we have to get cleaned up. Like I said I want to use these preseason games it’s as much learning how to play the game of football and how to be situationally smart as it is do you know what to do on this particular, how to line up in this particular formation, how to run this particular route. How do you do those things within each individual situation in the game.

Q: Was the sack-fumble a pre-snap issue or should someone should have stayed in?

Allen: Listen it was a protection issue. we got a little hung up on the linebacker. We should have came back with the linebacker. Really you put that on everybody. You put that on the back, you put that on the quarterback, you put that on the offensive line. It was just something where we just had a little bit of a mental lapse. We’ll learn from it. They ran the same exact pressure in the next series, we picked it up exactly right and made a big play. It’s something that you learn from and move on from.

Q: Any chance you might keep four quarterbacks?

Allen: I think we’ll look at that when we get closer to cut-down date. We’re way far ahead of ourselves as far as that’s concerned. We’re going to keep the 53-best players that we feel like give us a chance to have success on Sundays. Whether that’s three quarterbacks, four quarterbacks, two quarterbacks, I don’t know the answer to that yet. That picture will become more clear as we get closer to the end of preseason.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Baby steps towards blog comity.
    ======================================

Just Fire Baby Says:
    Nice rack on Dufner’s wife.

Whoknows Says:
    Bradley’s wife has a nice rack on her too.

• 0ak r8rs

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:18 pm
    Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 5m Flynn, Pryor and McGloin getting plenty of work. Tyler Wilson didn’t get one snap that last segment of practice

@@@@@@

Oh. Well that’s not good after an entire day of debate. Haha

Anyway, maybe there’s more to Wilson sucking than we know? Starting to sound like he’s in the dog house. Partying? Attitude? Not learning the playbook?

• J Hill

Wasted Pick!

—————————————————————————–

It’s easy to play Monday morning QB.

We needed a 3rd QB.

The undrafted guy is playing GREAT. I could see you bemoaning that point if we were still looking for a 3rd QB.

So a guy gets beat out by GREAT play. I don’t see that as a knock on the GM at all. Quite the opposite.

• the famous dr robert

Plunketthead Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:17 pm
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:08 pm
    Gotta love the Gossip Girls (ghosttotheppst, marks hair, plunkforHOF, plunkett head).

My fan club.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Did I mention your name?
    I will make sure I lead with loser when I do
    **********
    Form Letter

Dear “plunketthead”,

Thanks so much for ur kind words and enthusiastic support.

It’s always good to u, the best fans in the world, are thinking of me always.

U stay in school now. And make sure to listen to ur parents.

It can be stuff age, what with braces and training bras, but as u grow into a woman, u will always remember ur days as my #1 fan!

Sparkle on,

The Doctor

• eastoaklandraider

Raider O Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:19 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:18 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$

Wasted Pick!
    ———–

DJ Hayden was also a wasted pick as well we could easily roll with Porter, Jenkins, Chekwa, and Hanson Warmack would have made a much bigger impact in our run game.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

SaintKaufman Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:21 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:14 pm

SaintKaufman Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:10 pm
    Whatup O?
    How’s the sunny life in SD?
    $$$$$$$$$$$

It’s good bro. It’s tolerable this summer. I’m glad I didn’t buy an AC.
    What’s up with you SaintMacGyver? lol

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doing great, thanks. Had a great summer of weather in the PNW.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Definitely cooler than the last 2 years. Thank god. I can’t tolerate extreme heat. Anything over 85 is too extreme for me.

• Raiders for life

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 10m

###############

This to me means that DA will play the best.

• J Hill

Anyway, maybe there’s more to Wilson sucking than we know?

——————————————————————————-

You say that as though he is behind a bum.

McGloin is GOOD!!!!

Because Wilson isn’t as GOOD right NOW means he sucks???

• Raiders for life

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 21m
    Terrelle Pryor with nice throw to Andre Holmes. Chimdi Chekwa breaks it up in the end zone.

##############

This is actually good news.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

DJ hayden is not a wasted pick.. if u have heard the reviews on him.. or seen him practice you would know

I was curious till i saw unedited camp practice football. If he healthy he is by far the best DB on the roster and has a chance at prowbowl

The feet, the movement and his hands. He will stop those shyyt slants that the raiders could never stop

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 22m Pryor to Butler deep. Touchdown.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J Hill Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:23 pm
    Wasted Pick!

—————————————————————————–

It’s easy to play Monday morning QB.

We needed a 3rd QB.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A 4th rounder for a 3rd string QB is a wasted pick especially on a team that lacks talent and depth at other positions.
    4th rounder on a backup QB is a solid pick, but we didnt need a backup.
    It’s ok for a GM to make mistakes. I doubt any GM gets all his picks right.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 22m Pryor to Butler. Touchdown.

• J Hill

Warmack wasn’t on the board when we picked.

• LOSER-BOT

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    What were the odds on Loser Bot causing the Dr. Rob meltdown?
    *******
    LOSER-BOT REALIZES IT HAS CAUSED THE INEVITABLE MELT-DOWN OF PREVIOUSLY SCANNED POSTER.
    WHEN SOMEONE POSTS ON A BLOG EVERY HOUR THEY ARE AWAKE, THE MELT-DOWN WAS ALREADY IN PROGRESS.
    ADVANCED SEARCH ENGINES WITH EXCLUSIVE FEATURES ALLOW SEARCHES THAT GIVE CUSTOM RESULTS IN 2.3 SECONDS.
    BECAUSE OF EXCESSIVE POSTING, ABOVE SEARCH TOOK 4.4 SECONDS.
    THE FACT THE ABUSER REPOSTED PROOF HE HAS NO LIFE, NUMEROUS TIMES, TELLS US OUR FACT REPORTING IS DOING IT’S JOB.
    DENIAL IS THE FIRST STEP FOR ALL LOSERS.
    THANK YOU, DR ROB, FOR ACCEPTING THE FACT YOU ARE A LOSER.
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR ROAD TO RECOVERY.

• xraided

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:28 pm
    Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 22m Pryor to Butler deep. Touchdown.

________

hopefully we will see that against the saints on friday with the 1′s on the field

then there will be no question

TP deserves the start, but i doubt he gets it

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hayden was a risky pick, but I can’t agree that it was a wasted pick. Jenkins, porter, Chekwa, and Adams are FAs next year. Chekwa RFA.

• 0ak r8rs

J Hill Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:26 pm
    Anyway, maybe there’s more to Wilson sucking than we know?

——————————————————————————-

You say that as though he is behind a bum.

McGloin is GOOD!!!!

Because Wilson isn’t as GOOD right NOW means he sucks???

@@@@@@@@

I know McGloin is good. Watched him for his whole career at Penn State. Remember, I’m East Coast. I like McGloin. I was just reacting to “no snaps”. So basically the whole team is going through drills and Wilson just stands there and watches? That’s how I’m picturing it. Sounds more like DA is sending a message than anything else.

• Raiders for life

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:27 pm

##################

I share your optimistic view. But until that red jersey comes off, he hasn’t done sht.

• eastoaklandraider

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:27 pm

———–

That sounds good and all but how much impact will he make with our sub par pass rush? We had Nnamdi at the top of his game for years and it didnt amount to schit for us. Wasted pick.

• Myopinion

Read a comparison with crawford and bryant. Im buying it it like him to be kept as rde/dt

• Myopinion

Lde/dt

• J Hill

Robinson is my “reach” for the last DE spot.

Could very well be Crawford if he can show ANYTHING as a nickel DT.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Well it depends.. u saw a bit on fri night the coverage was pretty good on romo.. allowed a sack on him and forced him to dump off the past in the RZ.

DA has the opposite view that most. Good DBACKS allow sacks.

usually most coaches saw good pass RUSH ..helps the DB

• xraided

J Hill Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    Warmack wasn’t on the board when we picked.

_____

if Bergz continues this kind of great blocking, i’m very glad we didn’t go for a Guard with the 3rd overall like i was sort of lobbying for at the time

• Myopinion

D line is a position id like to carry one extra,more than 4te, or twofb

• eastoaklandraider

J Hill Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    Warmack wasn’t on the board when we picked.
    ————-

He was there at 3, I Know I know you dont take a guard that high, but he clearly would have a far greater impact on this team and from what I have already heard he’s dominating already and we could use a dominating guard more than a db who may or may not be very good.

• 0ak r8rs

J Hill Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    Warmack wasn’t on the board when we picked.

@@@@@@@@

Yea. Why do people keep bringing up warmack? He went 10th and he’s a guard. Even if we don’t trade down, nobody takes a guard #3. Trust me, you guys would be freaking out about picking Warmack third too.

• Raiders for life

Myopinion Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:33 pm

###################

I read most of your comments and like them. This one I disagree with. Crawford will be lucky to make the final 53. If the Raiders find a better DE during cut down, he is gone.

• RaidO

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 26m

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 35m
    Pryor to Butler deep. Touchdown.

1.Pryor
    2.McGloin
    3.Flynn

Wilson= Practice squad or cut

or

1. Pryor
    2. Flynn
    3. McGloin

Wilson= Practice squad or cut

• the famous dr robert

LOSER-BOT Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    What were the odds on Loser Bot causing the Dr. Rob meltdown?
    *******
    BECAUSE OF EXCESSIVE POSTING, ABOVE SEARCH TOOK 4.4 SECONDS.
    DENIAL IS THE FIRST STEP FOR ALL LOSERS.
    THANK YOU, DR ROB, FOR ACCEPTING THE FACT YOU ARE A LOSER.
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR ROAD TO RECOVERY.
    *******
    Good football post.

• eastoaklandraider

Xraided Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:36 pm
    J Hill Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    Warmack wasn’t on the board when we picked.

_____

———-

No X we were right Warmack is doing his thin already for the Titans.

• the famous dr robert

LOSER-BOT Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    What were the odds on Loser Bot causing the Dr. Rob meltdown?
    *******
    BECAUSE OF EXCESSIVE POSTING, ABOVE SEARCH TOOK 4.4 SECONDS.
    DENIAL IS THE FIRST STEP FOR ALL LOSERS.
    THANK YOU, DR ROB, FOR ACCEPTING THE FACT YOU ARE A LOSER.
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR ROAD TO RECOVERY.
    *******
    Do u draw pictures of what u think I look like?

Am I a super hero?

Or are there jets and tanks in the picture too?

Oh wait. It probably has a horse.

• 0ak r8rs

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:33 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:27 pm

———–

@@@@@@@@

Hayden, if healthy, makes plays. Nnamdi didn’t make plays. Hayden will be better than nnamdi if he’s healthy.

• J Hill

but he clearly would have a far greater impact on this team

——————————————————————————

Hardly CLEAR.

You can run that for about 3 more weeks until Hayden and Watson get on the field.

• the famous dr robert

LOSER-BOT Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    What were the odds on Loser Bot causing the Dr. Rob meltdown?
    *******
    BECAUSE OF EXCESSIVE POSTING, ABOVE SEARCH TOOK 4.4 SECONDS.
    DENIAL IS THE FIRST STEP FOR ALL LOSERS.
    THANK YOU, DR ROB, FOR ACCEPTING THE FACT YOU ARE A LOSER.
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR ROAD TO RECOVERY.
    **********
    Or do u imagine me more as a Minotaur?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

the famous dr robert Says:

But thanks for saying my name 300 times b1tch.

Keep it up. I love it.
    ======================================================

You’ve got a point Doc. and no, I’m not blog bot. I did post your 1 hour 50 some odd comment log from the bar midnite to 1:00am. But that only took maybe two minutes to highlite, copy and paste. bot’s way more ambitious or wrote an autoscript.

But back to your point. You’re right. Any list like that doesn’t need a name. We know.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Nice to have a game on DVR. Football Season. Raiders.

• the famous dr robert

LOSER-BOT Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:29 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:05 pm
    What were the odds on Loser Bot causing the Dr. Rob meltdown?
    *******
    BECAUSE OF EXCESSIVE POSTING, ABOVE SEARCH TOOK 4.4 SECONDS.
    DENIAL IS THE FIRST STEP FOR ALL LOSERS.
    THANK YOU, DR ROB, FOR ACCEPTING THE FACT YOU ARE A LOSER.
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR ROAD TO RECOVERY.
    ********
    Good thing for the board that u spend all YOUR time on me. That way they are treated to this.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

That was an interesting coincidence.

• 8RaiderReign8

RaidO Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 3:34 pm
    Whoknows Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 3:24 pm
    Da and Reggie are gonna be hard pressed to start Pryor, who was brought on by the previous regime. After trading for a QB and drafting another it is clear they want their own guy in there. It wouldn’t look to good for Reggie to cut Wilson and have Flynn as backup.
    ———————————–
    “It wouldn’t look to good for Reggie to cut Wilson and have Flynn as backup.”

That scenario is very likely
    ___________________________

Flynn was always insurance. Look at his contract. All his guarantees (7mil) are in his 1st year.

• the famous dr robert

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    the famous dr robert Says:

But thanks for saying my name 300 times b1tch.

Keep it up. I love it.
    ======================================================

********
    I like being on lists. I headed missdick’s. and kells.

Now I have one that’s all me, all the time.

It’s time well spent for the appropriately named loser bot.

I think of him as my little r2d2.

I’m Darth Vader who barely remembers him. But his mission is all about me.

Blog Wars!

• Myopinion

For life,
    Thank u.
    U could be right, I dont think rm does scholarships,but I do think if he drafts domeone,he sees somethimg he really likes, if crawford shows promise,plays well, and can play two positions he sticks.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Can you guys ignore the troll. Please and thank you.

• the famous dr robert

U see I’m really a nice guy underneath all this Vader garb.

In the end, I will rid the empire of the evil emporor (missdick) and u will realize it had to be done.

• 8RaiderReign8

Raider O Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    Can you guys ignore the troll. Please and thank you.
    _____________________

Sorry Raider O. I forgot.

• 8RaiderReign8

Oh and it’s looking like the field won.

• lefty12

It would have been nice to draft Warmac-and both of the LTs,and Patterson,and all the other guys drafted in the top 20,but you can’t get everyone.It does no good talking about what ifs,we need to focus on what is!

• Twocents

It is a good thing when you have a hard time making a decision on a 53 man roster.
    Three more games. Injuries will play a part.
    Still, I think we will have to let some good players go.
    It’s been a long time since we’ve been in this position.

• eastoaklandraider

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:33 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:27 pm

———–

@@@@@@@@

——————-

Nnamdi had an 8 int season, then they just stop throwing to his side, you cant make plays if they dont challenge you. Guess Deon Sanders wasnt a play maker either.