1,311

Q&A with Raiders coach Dennis Allen

A transcription of a conference call between beat writers and Raiders coach Dennis Allen:

Q: Did you come out of the game as healthy as you thought?

Allen: Just like after the game, Keenan Clayton, he’ll be questionable for practice tomorrow. But other than that, I think we came out fairly healthy. Mike Brisiel, I’ll probably rest him at practice tomorrow. I think everybody’s going to end up being fine coming out of the game, kind of your normal after-a-game bumps and bruises.

Q: How did Tony Bergstrom do with the first-team line?

Allen: You know what, I was pleased with what Tony did working with the first team line. I thought he made an improvement. Still like to see him a little more powerful in his run blocking but I thought he was better in protection, so I thought he took a step forward last night.

Q: What about Brisiel at right guard?

Allen: Well, I don’t think, that’s one of the reasons I wanted to give him a day off. I don’t think he’s 100 percent healthy right now. I don’t think he played, obviously as well as we would have liked, and really as well as he would like. I want to try and get him some rest, get him healed back up where he’s feeling a little bit better and give him a little bit better opportunity.

Q: Nix had practiced in the days leading up to the game . . . why didn’t he play?

Allen: Totally different injury. But again, when I say injury, it’s another one of those nicks and I didn’t want to put him in the game and take the chance of really setting him back and missing him for an extended period of time. I don’t anticipate he’ll be out for a long period of time, but we’re going to try and get him healthy.

Q: Could you see a lot of people potentially coming back from injury next couple of days?

Allen: I’m hoping that we’ll have some guys back to play in the game for sure. But I think we’ll have to play that out as the week goes along.

Q: Your assessment of quarterback Matt McGloin . . .

Allen: well, I thought he held his poise in the pocket, I thought he did a nice job of making some good decisions, making some good throws, made a heck of a throw there to Brice Butler, who also made a great catch on the play. I think the thing that you see from Matt is he is composed. He does have poise in the pocket and he doesn’t get rattled, you know, and for a guy who is an undrafted free agent, to handle himself the way he’s handled himself in pressure situations has been a nice surprise.

Q: Have a lot of corners, did any of those guys in second tier separate themselves?

Allen: I don’t know that anybody has really created a huge separation. I thought overall they all played fairly well. We’ve got to do a better job of setting the edge on the defense on a couple of those runs, they got outside of us. But I thought Phillip Adams stepped up a little bit in the game and showed some improvement from what I’d seen so far and in minicamp. I’m pleased with where we are from a depth standpoint. I thought Chance Casey came in and played well in his role. I like where we’re at, I like the fact that we have some depth. I think it’s a good thing when have those challenging decisions when you start thinking about who’s going to make it to the 53-man roster. When you’ve got tough decisions on guys who can play football, that’s a good things.

Q: How did Taiwan Jones do in game action at corner?

Allen: I thought, obviously, he’s a, it’s a physical skill set that he has and he’s got that physical ability to play the game. There’s still a lot of things that we’ve got to clean up, just understanding the cornerback position from alignments and assignments and stuff like that. He’s pretty solid on his assignments, but there’s still just some details to the position that we’ve got to continue to work with him on, but like I said before, Taiwan is exceptional on special teams. You watch the first kickoff of the game, he goes down there, he’s on the 10-yard line when the returner is just starting to return the ball. That’s something that you can’t discount.

Q: Blocked field goal, good kick coverage, guys like Branch and Porter on special teams units, kind of the mindset establish, that you’ll put best guys out there to get things done?

Allen: We’ve got to improve special teams, I think that’s one of the first places where you can improve your football team. We’ve put a big emphasis on special teams this year and trying to improve in that area. I thought we did a good job in the game, both in the return game and in the coverage units, as well as field goal and field goal block. I thought we executed for the most part on the field goal team and obviously we had the big block there on the second drive of the game. So it’s a huge emphasis for us this year and we’ve got to get better in that area.

Q: Was everyone in tune with assignments as much as it seemed?

Allen: I thought for the first preseason game I was really pleased with the execution of our football team. I thought from a game plan standpoint I thought we played the game physical, I thought we were able to control the clock on offense. A lot of times you get into these preseason games and they can get sloppy. I think we had four penalties in the game. I thought for the first preseason game the execution and the attention to detail was pretty good.

Q: What kind of progress do you want to see before next game?

Allen: I think the big thing is we have to continue to learn how to play in situations. We had a couple of instances in the game where just situationally we have to be a little better. There in the four minute we could have executed the four minute a little bit better and run the clock down a little bit more before we snapped the ball. We had the situation where Terrelle threw the interception down there in the end zone. Just some situational things, playing the game smart that we have to continue to improve on.

Q: Called Pryor aside after the interception, was thata a coachable moment and did he learn something?

Allen: Absolutely it’s a teachable moment. You have to take advantage of all those teachable moments. That’s been one thing that we’ve consistently talked to Terrelle about. In those situations, don’t be afraid to use your legs. Don’t be afraid to use your skill set and that was a situation there where I felt like he really could have pressed the edge and we had a chance to have a high-low on the corner. What you can’t do is not every play has to be a great play, not every play has to be a spectacular play. Sometimes the best play is to make the easy throw, keep yourself on schedule. Those are things you deal with with all the young players and Terrelle is really no exception to that rule. I think we all can learn from those types of situations.

Q: What was your impression of defensive end Ryan Robertson?

Allen: I thought Ryan was a guy who gave us a little juice off the edge. He’s a little bit of an undersized defensive end but he does have some pass rush ability. I think we want to continue to try to look at him throughout the preseason and see if he can give us something from a pass rushing standpoint.

Q: Drops have been an off and on issue, did you think you were more sure-handed against Dallas?

Allen: I did. Obviously we had a couple of drops in the game and they would have been tough catches. I thought overall we executed pretty well in the passing game. I thought everybody was really for the most part everybody was on the same page and reading out the defense the same way from a wide receiver, tight ends, quarterback. I thought they all were on the same page with what we were doing. Overall I thought we executed well. There are still some things we have to get cleaned up. Like I said I want to use these preseason games it’s as much learning how to play the game of football and how to be situationally smart as it is do you know what to do on this particular, how to line up in this particular formation, how to run this particular route. How do you do those things within each individual situation in the game.

Q: Was the sack-fumble a pre-snap issue or should someone should have stayed in?

Allen: Listen it was a protection issue. we got a little hung up on the linebacker. We should have came back with the linebacker. Really you put that on everybody. You put that on the back, you put that on the quarterback, you put that on the offensive line. It was just something where we just had a little bit of a mental lapse. We’ll learn from it. They ran the same exact pressure in the next series, we picked it up exactly right and made a big play. It’s something that you learn from and move on from.

Q: Any chance you might keep four quarterbacks?

Allen: I think we’ll look at that when we get closer to cut-down date. We’re way far ahead of ourselves as far as that’s concerned. We’re going to keep the 53-best players that we feel like give us a chance to have success on Sundays. Whether that’s three quarterbacks, four quarterbacks, two quarterbacks, I don’t know the answer to that yet. That picture will become more clear as we get closer to the end of preseason.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• the famous dr robert

Raider O Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    Can you guys ignore the troll. Please and thank you.
    *******
    No. They are my fans. I need my fans.

They can not and will not stop talking about me.

I post about football and they attack me without provocation and accuse me (in their non football post), of not talking football.

Then we are treated to long lists of hilarity pointing out how I’m infesting the board (while their lists annoy everyone).

They are the Gossip Girls.

Can’t stop won’t stop. They are enthralled by me.

• 8RaiderReign8

Twocents Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:52 pm
    It is a good thing when you have a hard time making a decision on a 53 man roster.
    Three more games. Injuries will play a part.
    Still, I think we will have to let some good players go.
    It’s been a long time since we’ve been in this position.
    ____________________________

Better than hoping one star player saves the team.

• lefty12

Raider O Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    Can you guys ignore the troll. Please and thank you.
    __
    We try,but sometimes you just can’t be ignored.LOL(Just joking,don’t get upset)

• 0ak r8rs

Twocents Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:52 pm
    Three more games. Injuries will play a part.
    Still, I think we will have to let some good players go.
    It’s been a long time since we’ve been in this position.

@@@@@@@

For sure. No dumpster diving the waiver wire in week 4 this year.

• Plunketthead

Dear “plunketthead”,

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Blogs biggest loser needs more attention

• the famous dr robert

If like to announce an exciting new idea for ur enjoyment.

EVERY TIME loser bot posts, I will happily post SEVERAL responses with clever and rib busting responses, such as “oh yeah?”, “really?”, and possibly “do tell”.

It’s sure to be a fun time.

Where’s the little guy anyway?

• eastoaklandraider

Lefty12 Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:52 pm
    It would have been nice to draft Warmac-and both of the LTs,and Patterson,and all the other guys drafted in the top 20,but you can’t get everyone.It does no good talking about what ifs,we need to focus on what is!
    ————-

What is, is our guards suck except gurode and he’s now practicing with the ones now on to LG hopefully Nix is better(better pbs LG) than Bergs.

• the famous dr robert

Plunketthead Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:56 pm
    Dear “plunketthead”,

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Blogs biggest loser needs more attention
    ********
    And thank u.

I knew u couldn’t go long without talking about me.

Thanks sweetie. Go brush ur teeth.

• eastoaklandraider

You have to draft for need when a great need guy is staring you in the face. DB was not a need at the time G was BPA is for teams who are already good.

• 8RaiderReign8

__________________________

Forget the o-line. No matter the players we got to switch out the quarterback. I refuse to believe the news in the press about the line looking decent. It will be porous all year and we need to have a scrambling quarterback who can handle that.

• Twocents

I would like McKenzie to pick up a DT from the final cuts. I don’t think Sims is going to make it.

• Myopinion

Bergs was said to be doing good a few people said he did really good. And before injury nix was beating him. With gurode and possibly barnes, maybe brisel starts taking roids. I think were good at g. And maybe real good,especially if watson can play up to expectations.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 2m Allen liked Murray’s runs Friday but said of absence today, “being available and being accountable are 2 things we gotta make sure” we are

• 0ak r8rs

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:53 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:33 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:27 pm
    DJ hayden is not a wasted pick.. if u have heard the reviews on him.. or seen him practice you would know

I was curious till i saw unedited camp practice football. If he healthy he is by far the best DB on the roster and has a chance at prowbowl

The feet, the movement and his hands. He will stop those shyyt slants that the raiders could never stop
    ———–

That sounds good and all but how much impact will he make with our sub par pass rush? We had Nnamdi at the top of his game for years and it didnt amount to schit for us. Wasted pick.

@@@@@@@@

Hayden, if healthy, makes plays. Nnamdi didn’t make plays. Hayden will be better than nnamdi if he’s healthy.
    ——————-

Nnamdi had an 8 int season, then they just stop throwing to his side, you cant make plays if they dont challenge you. Guess Deon Sanders wasnt a play maker either.

@@@@@@@@@

Omfg. Nnamdi doesn’t make plays. Period. He had one decent year regarding playmaking and nothing before or after. I’ve won this argument several times. Most people will agree w me. Nnamdi doesn’t make plays. And if not or one year I could say he never has. Is that what happens in the NFL? You have one good year and then you don’t get anymore opportunities to make plays? Really? So the NFL is full of playmaking CBs that only made plays one year in their careers? That’s what all the top CBs have done?

Stop it. If you’re a playmaker you find a way to make plays. Every year. Not one year in a DECADE. You create opportunities. Strip tackles, picks, whatever. If you’re a playmaker you make plays. If yiure a shutdown corner you shut down a receiver. Some do both. Nnamdi could only shut down.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I think sims is doggin till the season starts.. he aint trying to be active in training camp

• lefty12

Brisiel sucks and it looks as if he might be on his way out..That doesn’t mean Bergs,Nix,and Gurode suck.You have formed that opinion without seeing them play and because you are disappointed we didn’t draft the guy you wanted-Warmack.Maybe after the practice games conclude you will have a valid point but not yet.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

ASO was the biggest waste of Money the Raiders ever spent on..

• 0ak r8rs

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 6:03 pm

@@@@@@@

Wth does that mean? Did Murray blow off practice or something???

• 8RaiderReign8

_________________________

It’s funny cuz it’s true.

His time with the Eagles showed everything.

• lefty12

You must be joking when you say DB wasn’t a need.It was a hell of a lot bigger need than a Guard.

• Kamikaze_Sensei

I honestly thing BPA should be considered first. If there isn’t a talent that is clearly better than the others, then you draft for need. Such thinking is the reason why Micheal Jordan wasn’t drafted first: The Trailblazers drafted for need, not BPA.

• lefty12

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 6:03 pm
    ==============================
    Did you hear that Ford?

• 8RaiderReign8

Lefty12 Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 6:06 pm
    ____________________

Did anyone see Dez torch us. Of course it’s a huge need.

• 8RaiderReign8

Kamikaze_Sensei Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 6:07 pm
    ____________________________

Exactly.

More talent = better % of success. Dj appears to have the talent and skill.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

lefty12 Says:
    It does no good talking about what ifs,we need to focus on what is!
    ==================================================

So,you’re telling us to get the ‘f’ out with our’what ifs’?

• eastoaklandraider

August 11th, 2013 at 5:27 pm

———–

@@@@@@@@

——————-

@@@@@@@@@

————–

Name some playmaking DB’s and I will show you a better supporting cast than Nnamdi had. Why throw near Nnamdi when you can exploit the rest of the D. simple.

• eastoaklandraider

Lefty12 Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 6:06 pm
    ————-

Not after signing Porter and Jenkins, 2 guys who have played at pro bowl levels in their careers. No DB was not a need.

• Myopinion

Thats what were missing, a vet run stuffing dt.
    Was looking forward to seeing sims,but dang,seems hell haunt us all season.
    Lot og good dts in the draft,hopefully one sends a vet packin.

• lefty12

Purv-you could put it that way-lol

• Gdog

xraided Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:30 pm

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 5:28 pm
    Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 22m Pryor to Butler deep. Touchdown.

________

hopefully we will see that against the saints on friday with the 1’s on the field

then there will be no question

TP deserves the start, but i doubt he gets it

>>>>

He doesn’t deserve to start yet after that horrible interception.

I want him to EARN the job… same thing I have been saying since the SD game.

The Pryor Brigade don’t want that it seems…

• lefty12

—————————
    Both of those guys were injured(I believe) and are signed to 1 year deals to prove themselves.Hayden was drafted to be a staple in the backfield for years.Besides,we have adequate guards.DB was a much bigger need.

• DJ Johnny

Did I hear Papa correctly that Butler had some ridiculous 40 time as well?

You add that to his performance last night with yac and then the beautiful grab in the endzone…and his 6’3 size?

Holy crap. What do we possibly have here?

• Gdog

>>>>

He wasn’t that great at anticipation, but had some of the best make-up speed I have ever seen at CB. He could get burned and still make the play! Sounds like SF is finding out he doesn’t have much left in the tank. If he has lost a step, he’s pretty worthless right now.

• RaidO

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    Did I hear Papa correctly that Butler had some ridiculous 40 time as well?

You add that to his performance last night with yac and then the beautiful grab in the endzone…and his 6′3 size?

Holy crap. What do we possibly have here?
    —————————

Butler 40 time:

“Still, he vaulted himself onto the radar of NFL scouts on Tuesday with a smoking-fast 4.36 40-yard dash time.”

• RaidO

Butler would have been an Al Davis pick.

6’3

4.36 40-yard dash time.”

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Yup BUTLER can move.. needs to work on that blocking for RB’s though.

He will get there

• Twocents

This may be sacrilegious but I would like to see DMAC demoted to change of pace back. Second string.

• The Big Banana

Twocents Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 6:26 pm

——

Still find it interesting that he and his agent declined to sign an extension.

• Myopinion

Hes dhb with ball skills, I was a dhb fan, but butler seems to be an upgrade. We need a guy to tale the top off the defense. He kinda showed that.

• RaidO

40 Times

Pryor= 4.32
    DMAC= 4.27
    Reece= 4.4
    Butler= 4.36
    Moore= 4.37
    Streater= 4.37

Speed!!!!!

• RaidO

Al Davis would be proud

• eastoaklandraider

Besides,we have adequate guards
    ———–

No, we had adequate db’s before we drafted DJ, plus we had Hanson and Chekwa behind them db was not a need. Here’s the key if Flynn starts the run game will struggle becuz D’s will put 8 in the box and clog up the running lanes if Pryor starts the entire field will open up because the focus they must put on Pryor and his ability to strike deep as well as run.

• Twocents

I just don’t see DMAC as a premier back. Too many mistakes. I like the guy but not as a number one.

• Gdog

Twocents Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 6:26 pm

>>>

I’ve been saying the same thing since this time last year… think of him as Kaufman when Gruden arrived and we had the number one rushing attack in the NFL.

Kaufman rarely got the ball until the second half…

• DJ Johnny

RaidO Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 6:24 pm
    Butler would have been an Al Davis pick.

6′3

4.36 40-yard dash time.”

Sweet!!!

I like him. I like him a lot (Jim Carrey voice).

• the famous dr robert

DMc is a third down back.

• Twocents

Speed is good. Football player is better.
    Football player with speed, that’s what we want.

• eastoaklandraider

You guys weren’t talking about DMAC when he was leading the league in rushing in Hue’s attack. If Pryor starts DMC will have a huge year if Flynn starts DMC will look like schit cuz no D will respect Flynn.

• lefty12

East.your opinion and you are entitled to it.I don’t agree.I think we are fine at G but we were terrible at CB last year.Hanson will be lucky to make the team this year,Chekwa is a BU.At least one of the young Guards we had will start,possibly both.CB was a bigger need,IMO.

• DJ Johnny

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 11th, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    DMc is a third down back.

Yeah. He sure didn’t look like he’s ready to set the world on fire last nite. 3 carries 5 yd’s?