Rookie Butler doesn’t want to go Rambo on Raiders

By Steve Corkran
Sunday, August 11th, 2013 at 6:43 pm in Oakland Raiders.

NAPA – If wide receiver Brice Butler doesn’t know about Ken-Yon Rambo, it’s worth his time and effort to find out in the coming days so that he can avoid the kind of pitfall that derailed Rambo’s once-promising Raiders career.
Like Butler, Rambo joined the Raiders as a seventh-round draft pick on a team with plenty of receiver depth. Butler also followed the trail blazed by Rambo by turning a late-game catch into a pivotal touchdown in his Raiders debut Friday night.
The key now is for Butler to build upon his fast start and not flame out the way Rambo did in 2001. The Raiders released Rambo at the end of training camp. Butler still has plenty of time to bolster his stock.
“He’s been a nice surprise,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said of Butler.
Yet, what he has done so far is little more than a nice start in the overall scheme of things. It’s imperative Butler not get complacent and make too much of his showing against the Dallas Cowboys, when Butler led all receivers with 70 yards on his two receptions.
“We’ll make sure we keep our thumb on him, make sure he doesn’t read too much of the good stuff (reporters are) going to write about him,” Allen said.
Butler arrived from San Diego State via Southern Cal, the ninth of 10 players selected by the Raiders in the NFL draft in April.
He joined a crowded field of hopefuls that included undrafted rookies Greg Jenkins, Conner Vernon and Sam McGuffie and inexperienced players such as Travionte Session, Isaiah Williams and Juron Criner.
Making the leap from prospect to the opening-game, 53-man roster entails standing out during practice and games.
Denarius Moore did just that in 2011 and went from fifth-round draft pick to starting receiver. Rod Streater followed suit in 2012 in going from undrafted rookie to opening-day starter.
Now it’s Butler who is surging to the head of the class and making a push for not only a roster spot but meaningful playing time.
Streater said he and Butler bonded instantly because of their similar backgrounds, as well as their college stats.
Players in their situation have to be almost “perfect” to overcome the long odds, Streater added. They also have to put behind them stellar plays, solid practices and good games.
“You got to move on,” Streater said. “The coaches want to see improvement every game and the next game is the most important. You can’t live off the past.”
That already seems ingrained in Butler, who tired of all the praise from friends and family after the Cowboys game.
“I honestly don’t think I played that good,” Butler said. “Until those couple of plays on that one drive, I didn’t feel good about my play at all. I definitely have to work on it. Watching tape, there was a lot of stuff I can work on.”
Butler transferred to San Diego State after his junior season at Southern Cal when playing time dwindled. That experience prepared him for the tenuous existence of an NFL player.
“I can’t focus on what the coaches are thinking or what the other players are doing,” Butler said. “I’ve done that in the past, and it didn’t really go well for me. So, I’m really just focusing on what … I can do best for the team.”
Having a father that played in the NFL for 12 seasons gives Butler an edge in that he has someone to speak with about the process.
Bobby Butler played cornerback for the Atlanta Falcons from 1981-92. Brice said his father passes along tips on what to look for from cornerbacks and how to gain an advantage.

– Cornerback Taiwan Jones and linebacker Sio Moore suffered undisclosed injuries, and they weren’t able to finish practice.
They were among 16 players that missed some or all of practice. Allen said he is hopeful of getting back some players soon.

– Andre Gurode worked at right guard and Tony Bergstrom at left guard with the first-team offense.
Gurode and Bergstrom got all the reps because Mike Brisiel and Lucas Nix didn’t practice and weren’t able to compete for job openings.
Allen said it’s crucial for the Raiders to find five reliable offensive linemen as soon as possible, but it’s more important to make the proper decisions before the regular-season opener.

– The Raiders had a lengthy practice today on what passed for, perhaps, the hottest day of camp. Good thing for the players, the practice was without full pads.

– Matt Flynn and Terrelle Pryor received all but three reps in the longest session of the day. Matt McGloin came on for two reps — one was a hand-off — and Matt Wilson mopped up with one rep. He made a nice throw to Greg Jenkins on his lone snap.
Afterward, Allen said Wilson needs more work on his command of the playbook and execution. Until then, it appears as if undrafted rookie McGloin is going to get more reps than Wilson, a fourth-round draft pick.

– Strong safety Tyvon Branch made the defensive play of the day when he ran stride for stride with tight end David Ausberry and hauled in a tipped pass from Wilson for an interception in the end zone.
On offense, Andre Holmes gets the nod for going up over two defenders and snaring a pass from Flynn for a touchdown. Later in practice, Holmes came close to making an even better grab on a deep throw from Pryor. Credit Chimdi Chekwa with the pass breakup.

new post!

• inonewordraider

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:33 pm
    Dennis Allen said RB Murray had to be “available and accountable” yesterday

what does that mean??

he’s always hurt and pointing fingers!?!?

_______
    i was wondering the same thing

maybe protections? late to practice/meeting or something like that?

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

JB Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Here’s a real radical thought, maybe it’s time to have multiple starting QB’s.
    =======================================

Na. Guys need to get into rhythm with the Oline and players around them. That won’t work.

• bcz24

Show me a gay, and I will show you someone with mental issues. I never said we should round them up and whip them. But they do have a problem, usually some sort of abuse or neglect during childhood.
    ****************
    That is a seriously ignorant statement my friend. I used to feel the same way about homosexuality. If/when someone very close to you comes out of the closet you will change your opinion as I did.

• the famous dr robert

Gdog Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:33 pm
    I am just happy we are having this debate because both QBs looked pretty GOOD. Not both of them stinking out loud and having the Pryor Brigade pretend he played great.

I endured an entire summer or that.
    *******
    U might wanna look at that freak-out toss-up interception again before declaring Pryor “looked good”.

It’s kinda like he had on some nice shoes, a pair of pressed slacks, a shirt and tie (nothing grandiose but not bad), but topped it off with one of those hats that the guards wear at buckingham palace.

I mean u can’t ignore it. It just throws everything wildly off (like his pazzes usually are)

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Cut Kell some slack. He just learned what a ‘meme’ was yesterday and is anxious to use his new expanded vocabulary.
    Although his attempts only result in mini meme’s.

• Gdog

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Gdog Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I endured an entire summer or that.
    *******

>>>>

I don’t look at this with an agenda like you and Mystic do.

I think that gaff is about as easy of a fix possible for Pryor. How hard can it be to teach him to RUN? Good gawd man… I thought the Palmer Derangement Syndrome clowns from last year were insane… the Pryor Derangement Syndrome from you is worse.

He looked pretty good driving the ball down the field.

Be honest.. you are ROOTING for Pryor to screw up, aren’t you? Same as the PDS people no doubt were last year with Palmer.

• rediaR

The Big Banana Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    Raider Riff Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    The Big Banana Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    Equating race to a sexual preference?

———–

Show me someone that “prefers” or “chose” to be gey and I will show you someone that chose to be a minority.

It doesnt exist.

I couldnt “chose” to be gey. I like girls. I was born that way.

Maybe youre different, could you choose to like sucking caulk? I couldnt. Maybe you could. If so, you would debunk modern science.

——

Nice. Very classy.

Disappointed in you, Riff. I like reading your football opinions. Is when you chime in on these topics where you come off like a hot head know it all.

But you know what, can’t say that I blame you. Your stance is very typical of the society we love in. No accountability. It’s a condition they couldn’t help or they were born ‘that way’

You want to take up for the fruitcakes. Be my guest. But don’t make it Raider. Al was about race equality.
    —————————–
    Spoken like a man of prejudice who can’t be arsed to have any real information so he makes some BS up about abuse.

• Bigmike34

Stats…NOT BS.

Flynn NFL Career….87/141..61.7%..1083 Yards 9TDs/ 5ints.

Long completion 80 yards with 4 completions over 40 yards
    =======================================================
    Pryor NFL Career

14/30…46.7% …155 yards…2TDs/1INT…Long Completion 38 Yards
    ======================================================

HOPEFULLY YOU PRYOR PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND …FACTS..

DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE….THAT A 46% PASS COMPLETION AVG IS BETTER THEN 61%…OR… IS EVEN IN THE BALL-PARK FOR A NFL QB

• Derek

Flynn has been on the bench as a backup for all but one season since High School. He sat years in college and all of his pro career on the pine.
    I wonder if he started much in High School ?

• Bigmike34

Do you know who the for the GB packers is…He is the best QB in football

You do remember that JaMarcus Russell before he got fat and went to the Raiders was on of the Great QBs to come out of College….Flynn was unfortunately for him playing behind those two guys….In College when he final got his chance He took LSU to win the Nation Championship…something that Jamarcus could not do…

In GB when he finally got a couple of starts He set GB records for TDs in a game 6…..And yards in a game 480

Did you see how deadly accurate he is with his pin point passes…

Pryor is at best the second coming of Jamarcus…Do the Raiders really want to go down that Path again…

• Myopinion