Rookie Butler doesn’t want to go Rambo on Raiders

By Steve Corkran
Sunday, August 11th, 2013 at 6:43 pm in Oakland Raiders.

NAPA – If wide receiver Brice Butler doesn’t know about Ken-Yon Rambo, it’s worth his time and effort to find out in the coming days so that he can avoid the kind of pitfall that derailed Rambo’s once-promising Raiders career.
Like Butler, Rambo joined the Raiders as a seventh-round draft pick on a team with plenty of receiver depth. Butler also followed the trail blazed by Rambo by turning a late-game catch into a pivotal touchdown in his Raiders debut Friday night.
The key now is for Butler to build upon his fast start and not flame out the way Rambo did in 2001. The Raiders released Rambo at the end of training camp. Butler still has plenty of time to bolster his stock.
“He’s been a nice surprise,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said of Butler.
Yet, what he has done so far is little more than a nice start in the overall scheme of things. It’s imperative Butler not get complacent and make too much of his showing against the Dallas Cowboys, when Butler led all receivers with 70 yards on his two receptions.
“We’ll make sure we keep our thumb on him, make sure he doesn’t read too much of the good stuff (reporters are) going to write about him,” Allen said.
Butler arrived from San Diego State via Southern Cal, the ninth of 10 players selected by the Raiders in the NFL draft in April.
He joined a crowded field of hopefuls that included undrafted rookies Greg Jenkins, Conner Vernon and Sam McGuffie and inexperienced players such as Travionte Session, Isaiah Williams and Juron Criner.
Making the leap from prospect to the opening-game, 53-man roster entails standing out during practice and games.
Denarius Moore did just that in 2011 and went from fifth-round draft pick to starting receiver. Rod Streater followed suit in 2012 in going from undrafted rookie to opening-day starter.
Now it’s Butler who is surging to the head of the class and making a push for not only a roster spot but meaningful playing time.
Streater said he and Butler bonded instantly because of their similar backgrounds, as well as their college stats.
Players in their situation have to be almost “perfect” to overcome the long odds, Streater added. They also have to put behind them stellar plays, solid practices and good games.
“You got to move on,” Streater said. “The coaches want to see improvement every game and the next game is the most important. You can’t live off the past.”
That already seems ingrained in Butler, who tired of all the praise from friends and family after the Cowboys game.
“I honestly don’t think I played that good,” Butler said. “Until those couple of plays on that one drive, I didn’t feel good about my play at all. I definitely have to work on it. Watching tape, there was a lot of stuff I can work on.”
Butler transferred to San Diego State after his junior season at Southern Cal when playing time dwindled. That experience prepared him for the tenuous existence of an NFL player.
“I can’t focus on what the coaches are thinking or what the other players are doing,” Butler said. “I’ve done that in the past, and it didn’t really go well for me. So, I’m really just focusing on what … I can do best for the team.”
Having a father that played in the NFL for 12 seasons gives Butler an edge in that he has someone to speak with about the process.
Bobby Butler played cornerback for the Atlanta Falcons from 1981-92. Brice said his father passes along tips on what to look for from cornerbacks and how to gain an advantage.

– Cornerback Taiwan Jones and linebacker Sio Moore suffered undisclosed injuries, and they weren’t able to finish practice.
They were among 16 players that missed some or all of practice. Allen said he is hopeful of getting back some players soon.

– Andre Gurode worked at right guard and Tony Bergstrom at left guard with the first-team offense.
Gurode and Bergstrom got all the reps because Mike Brisiel and Lucas Nix didn’t practice and weren’t able to compete for job openings.
Allen said it’s crucial for the Raiders to find five reliable offensive linemen as soon as possible, but it’s more important to make the proper decisions before the regular-season opener.

– The Raiders had a lengthy practice today on what passed for, perhaps, the hottest day of camp. Good thing for the players, the practice was without full pads.

– Matt Flynn and Terrelle Pryor received all but three reps in the longest session of the day. Matt McGloin came on for two reps — one was a hand-off — and Matt Wilson mopped up with one rep. He made a nice throw to Greg Jenkins on his lone snap.
Afterward, Allen said Wilson needs more work on his command of the playbook and execution. Until then, it appears as if undrafted rookie McGloin is going to get more reps than Wilson, a fourth-round draft pick.

– Strong safety Tyvon Branch made the defensive play of the day when he ran stride for stride with tight end David Ausberry and hauled in a tipped pass from Wilson for an interception in the end zone.
On offense, Andre Holmes gets the nod for going up over two defenders and snaring a pass from Flynn for a touchdown. Later in practice, Holmes came close to making an even better grab on a deep throw from Pryor. Credit Chimdi Chekwa with the pass breakup.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Beyond Kluwe not popping up in the first 20 pages of a google>raiders news> past month for any thing nonfootball, even his blog going back thru all of August has only one link to a site concerned with this topic.
    And some of you missed a bet not following him. You would have been led to some kindred spirits.
    To wit:

There’s no sugarcoating what’s happening in Russia in the days since the Duma and Prime minister Vladimir Putin passed its anti-gay laws earlier this summer. In a jaw-dropping video that Moscow-based journalist and longtime LGBT activist Masha Gessen posted to her Facebook page over the weekend, Dmitry Kiselev, anchorman and deputy director of VGTRK, the Russian state broadcast holding company—in short, a top representative of the Kremlin’s media machine—makes the following statement:

I believe it is not enough to impose fines on gays for engaging in the propaganda of homosexuality among adolescents. We need to ban them from donating blood and sperm, and if they die in car accidents, we need to bury their hearts in the ground or burn them as they are unsuitable for the aiding of anyone’s life.

• Raider Riff

Nycraider Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:03 pm
    I would prefer to just talk football, but most semis in here could careless what type of person represents the raiders as long as they are productive.

———–

Do you honestly think that is true?

It may be, but he loudest idiots say otherwise. As said earlier, the signal to noise ratio makes it seem otherwise.

Quite a few semi’s want a black QB above anything else.

And TONS here hate on Kleue due to his civil rights stances.

I’d rather just talk football as well. But Im not going to sit by and say nothing when bigotry is being promoted on this site. If you are in favor of sitting idle and not speaking up, that is your choice. I just cant do it.

• the famous dr robert

Flynn was nearly perfect. U can win that way.

Pryor made a horrible gaffe. U lose that way.

U guys wanna win or “be excited”?

Winning is lasting fun. Sparklers are momentary.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 12:33 pm
    Sapp and Irvin are Haters but they are right when they said nobody wanted flynn but the Raiders .. now McGloin has made Flynn expendable.

Pryor is the best qb.. followed by McGloin, flynn and Tyler wilson
    ===============================================

With all due respects, thank God you are not evaluating talent for the Raiders. Flynn was almost perfect, Pryor morphed back into well, Pryor, McGloin does not have an NFL arm, and Wilson might have the best arm on the team.

• The Big Banana

Bigmike34 Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 11:55 am
    Banana

You sound sensible….What are the many factors going for Pryor? ….Character? knowledge of the game? Leadership Ability?…Patience in the Pocket? (remember when a QB Runs out of the pocket to the right or Left the other side of the field is no longer available to him to pass into….He can see the open people and Worse the ball going across the field stays in the air too long and is more likely to be intercepted….Good QB just don’t Throw across the field…

——-

Fast
    Big Arm
    Escapability
    Attitude
    Leadership
    Work Ethic
    Playmaker

Lacking?
    Experience

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

two mistakes vs one?

do you have proof?

we know that flynn blew a protection that is a mistake

we know that flynn also suffered a strip sack as a result of his failed line call that is also a mistake

do you know where pryor’s first or second or third read was supposed to be on any of his passes?

are you sure that flynn read his plays correctly when he threw a 2 yard pass on 3rd and five

I think you are speculating, which is fine this is an opinion board

we disagree on the “mistake’ count though

oh one more thing inoone word

i see people here talking about skin, religion and even gey rights

why havnt you jumped in and chastised them for it?

that is what you do here isnt it/

Raider Riff Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

********
    Do u go after missdick?

• Raider Riff

The Big Banana Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    Equating race to a sexual preference?

———–

Show me someone that “prefers” or “chose” to be gey and I will show you someone that chose to be a minority.

It doesnt exist.

I couldnt “chose” to be gey. I like girls. I was born that way.

Maybe youre different, could you choose to like sucking caulk? I couldnt. Maybe you could. If so, you would debunk modern science.

Or maybe I should just read the bible more. I mean, what a idiot I am for thinking that world isnt flat and that Earth isnt the center of the universe. Dinosaurs were a hoax.

• inonewordraider

Watch it again. Nothing could be done.

____________
    it was a blitz the man came free unblocked

have to feel the pressure and tuck the ball, in my opinion

• nycraider

Raider Riff Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    Nycraider Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:03 pm

———–

Do you honestly think that is true?

Quite a few semi’s want a black QB above anything else.

And TONS here hate on Kleue due to his civil rights stances.

——————-
    until all trolls and crossposters are identified i guess its tough to guarantee a majority on anything. I come here to talk and debate football. Thats what i’m looking for from this blog.

• romania

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion.” Abraham Lincoln

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

riff,

i havnt read any one here ever say they want a qb simply because his skin is black, i have heard though others say the exact opposite

source link?

• Raider Riff

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:12 pm
    Raider Riff Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

********
    Do u go after missdick?

——–

I used too plenty.

Then you showed up and started doing it way better than I ever could.

• RAIDERMAN99

theghostronin79 Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    It might not even be Flynn’s fault.

At that point, Tits will turn to TP to provide some ENERGY and EXCITEMENT.

Yep, I’m pretty sure TP is going to get his shot.

=============

Kinda like Gradkowski / Campbell?
    =================================
    No. I don’t expect Flynn to ever look as bad as JC did against the Titans, Rams, Steelers or Niners.

Truth is, JC was so lousy and incompetent in those games that Hue had to look at Grads.

I think Flynn will be decent, but the RAIDS will look for an added spark when things get a little stagnant or stale.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

ok time to go

here comes the hate talk and mistreatment

• The_Judge37

romania Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    ——

“Some believe in Jesus, Some believe in Alah, But Ridaz like me, believe in making dollaz”
    Dj Quik

• SnBG

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    riff,

source link?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Your’e one. Liar.

• Raider Riff

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    riff,

i havnt read any one here ever say they want a qb simply because his skin is black?

————–

I havent outright heard anyone say they dont want him because he’s black. But you have no problem reading between the lines. You’ve played the race card here plenty.

And we have no problem reading between the lines on your agenda.

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:12 pm

we know that flynn blew a protection that is a mistake

I think you are speculating
    *******
    U have the nerve to say Flynn blew a protection even though DA said otherwise. And then say OTHERS are speculating?

Getting strip sacked is NOT a qbs fault.

That’s agenda.

U can’t admit Flynn played well and Pryor committed a horrible gaffe.

U are, how u say, SUSPECT.

Love how on one fumble, u have Flynn making two mistakes when DA said it wasn’t his fault.

Quite a few semi’s want a black QB above anything else.

***

@Riff

I think most Raider fans want to see a QB on the field who gives us the best chance to win. Apparently to you though, it’s all tied to his skin color. #bigot

• inonewordraider

oh one more thing inoone word

i see people here talking about skin, religion and even gey rights

why havnt you jumped in and chastised them for it?

that is what you do here isnt it/

____________

why does it have to be like that?

i thought about commenting this case, but i don’t always

• Raider Riff

I gotta run…I’ll leave you with this….

Regardless of what god you believe in, there is one underlying FACT…

WE ALL CAME FROM THE SAME ONE.

So with that in mind, you should love and treat everyone equally.

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:

Raider Riff Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

********
    Do u go after missdick?

——–

I used too plenty.

Then you showed up and started doing it way better than I ever could.
    ******
    Oh well thank u. I think.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    Quite a few semi’s want a black QB above anything else.

***

@Riff

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Exactly!!!
    I don’t care about his skin color. White, black, brown, green, etc…
    I want a big QB with a strong arm who is mobile and fast.

Raider Riff Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:19 pm
    I gotta run…I’ll leave you with this….

Regardless of what god you believe in, there is one underlying FACT…

WE ALL CAME FROM THE SAME ONE.

So with that in mind, you should love and treat everyone equally.
    *******
    A very Christian viewpoint.

I knew I’d win u over. Lol.

• inonewordraider

What? Where? Who’s doing it? Come here u. Hmm. I don’t see anyone
    ________
    that’s messed up rob

mistic was just talking football today, but you just can’t help yourself man

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

what the hell is a “race card”?

can anyone tell me?

seems to be another tool used in the coded language con game for the mistreatment of others based on skin color

who invented the term?

what is the purpose for this card?

how many groups have access to this card or is it exclusive right for one group?

who grants the right to use this card?

does anybody with this card declare possession or is possession assigned?

Please answer these questions to clarify the terms of the topic so we may fully understand what you are saying

Raider O Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    Quite a few semi’s want a black QB above anything else.

***

@Riff

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Exactly!!!
    I don’t care about his skin color. White, black, brown, green, etc…
    I want a big QB with a strong arm who is mobile and fast.
    *******
    I will not stand for a green qb.

A LT maybe. But not a qb.

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:24 pm
    what the hell is a “race card”?

can anyone tell me?

who invented the term?

what is the purpose for this card?

who grants the right to use this card?

does anybody with this card declare possession or is possession assigned?

********
    Lol. This is “suitable for framing”.

• Plunketthead

So with that in mind, you should love and treat everyone equally.

&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Love the sinner, hate the sin
    Good point

Inonewordraider Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:23 pm
    What? Where? Who’s doing it? Come here u. Hmm. I don’t see anyone
    ________
    that’s messed up rob

mistic was just talking football today, but you just can’t help yourself man
    *******
    Lol. Just football? Are u sure?

Can’t I poke the looney a little? Please?

• irjonny

I am in the Flynn camp. But DAL rushed 6 on the strip/sack. We had 5 in there for protection and 5 running routes. Either Flynn called a hot route and it wasn’t there, DMAC or Ausberry missed the call, or the protections wasn’t called right at all

• the famous dr robert

I believe, if I’m not mistaken, that race cards can be obtained at any government office and now online.

Similar to a library card but much more fun.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:24 pm

what the hell is a “race card”?

can anyone tell me?
    ————————
    As far as I can tell, it’s when a person of color (especially a black man) objects to Racist Meme’s.

• The_Judge37

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:24 pm
    what the hell is a “race card”?

can anyone tell me?
    ——

Think of a race card in terms of Poker.

For white people, the Race card is just playing high card, any other hand can beat it.

For blacks it’s a Spade Flush.

But nothing beats a Full house of Mexicans

• Twocents

“When I’m good, I’m very good. But when I’m bad, I’m better.”
    Mae West

• The Big Banana

Raider Riff Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    The Big Banana Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    Equating race to a sexual preference?

———–

It doesnt exist.

I couldnt “chose” to be gey. I like girls. I was born that way.

——

Nice. Very classy.

Disappointed in you, Riff. I like reading your football opinions. Is when you chime in on these topics where you come off like a hot head know it all.

Show me a gay, and I will show you someone with mental issues. I never said we should round them up and whip them. But they do have a problem, usually some sort of abuse or neglect during childhood.

But you know what, can’t say that I blame you. Your stance is very typical of the society we love in. No accountability. It’s a condition they couldn’t help or they were born ‘that way’

You want to take up for the fruitcakes. Be my guest. But don’t make it Raider. Al was about race equality.

• PlunkforHOF

Moose Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 12:53 pm
    Hayden c`leard fe go test im eart

*********

I have yet to see this gut make an understandable post.

• PlunkforHOF

*guy

• the famous dr robert

When playing poker last week, I looked at my hole cards a d realized one was a race card.

I was allowed to ask for “my fair share” of the pot even though I didn’t have the winning hand.

Since I played the race card so perfectly, it was accepted that I received unfair treatment by getting bad cards all night, and they didn’t argue at all.

• inonewordraider

_______________
    i agree with riffs viewpoint, i don’t agree with him letting it be known on the blog because it’s a belief not related to football, even though I’ve been guilty of it myself

but you’re doing the exact same thing as he is

giving us your belief on the topic which is non football related

is this really the forum for it?

• Gdog

I am just happy we are having this debate because both QBs looked pretty GOOD. Not both of them stinking out loud and having the Pryor Brigade pretend he played great.

I endured an entire summer or that.

• JB

Here’s a real radical thought, maybe it’s time to have multiple starting QB’s. The actual starter would be the one that best fits against the opponent we are playing. Aside from hopefully having the best match-up against the opponents defense, it would also be a nightmare for the opponents pre-game practices. They’d have to prepare to face one of three different QB’s. Right now we have 3 different type QB’s, all of which I believe could start and win a game. Pryor is a run & shoot type QB, Flynn is a short controlled pass QB and McGoin looks to be very comfortable in the traditional pocket passing scheme. Not sure if Wilson really fits in at the moment but he may come around. Like they say, if you got lemons, make lemonade.

Dennis Allen said RB Murray had to be “available and accountable” yesterday

what does that mean??

he’s always hurt and pointing fingers!?!?

KoolKell Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:24 pm

what the hell is a “race card”?

can anyone tell me?
    ————————
    *********
    A near flawless use of the race card ABOUT the race card.

Kudos. This is getting meta.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

I want a big QB with a strong arm who is mobile and fast.
    ============================================

Here, call Jamarcus Russell then: 1-800-fat-slob

• The Big Banana

—–

Forked tongue much? Here’s a guy both taking up the cause and clowning it all in one statement. Well done.

• inonewordraider

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 12th, 2013 at 1:32 pm

___________
    you just don’t stop

you’re smart enough to know all this will result in people being upset and endless comments back and forth that have nothing to do with football

things were going good today why not let it continue?

serious man you got issues you need to work on