Dennis Allen Q&A

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, August 12th, 2013 at 3:26 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A transcript of Raiders coach Dennis Allen with the media following practice Monday:

Allen: Tracy Porter, another one of those nagging camp injuries wasn’t able to finish practice today. We’ll see where he’s at once we get a chance to evaluate him. Woodson had the day off. We were able to get a couple of guys back, Sio Moore and D.J. Hayden back out at practice today. It’s the grind of camp. These guys are trying to push through and to battle through. We have to continue to work on our consistency. We’re not where we need to be yet but at least the guys are out here working.

Q: What is the plan for Hayden?

A: He won’t play this week. He should be cleared for contact on really Friday is actually when he should be cleared for contact. We’ll re-evaluate with the doctors after that. The plan going forward I would anticipate is he would be up and going with the Chicago game.

Q: With all the injuries on the defensive front, is it a nice luxury to have Woodson and Branch on the back end?

Allen: Obviously we’ve had some injuries up front but I feel overall I feel pretty good about where we’re at defensively. I think we’re much improved in the secondary and I think that’s going to allow us to do some different things defensively where we can be a little bit more multiple.

Q: Christo and McGee?

Allen: They still have a lot of improvement to do. But it was good for those guys to get in, get a lot of reps. My anticipation is they will get a lot reps again this week against New Orleans. I think that the more work that they get the better they are going to be.

Q: Thoughts on the development of defensive end Jack Crawford?

Allen: He’s in the same boat with those guys. Second-year player that really didn’t get an opportunity to play much in the preseason last year, didn’t get an opportunity to play much during the regular season. These preseason games are valuable to a lot of guys like that.

Q: Do you anticipate Sims and Walker as guys who play every most of the time or do you plan to rotate?

Allen: Obviously we haven’t had a lot of time with them so it’s been kind of hard to evaluate them. My anticipation is they would be the starters and that they would see significant action. But I think always with the defensive line the key is to be able to roll through guys and keep them all fresh.

Q: What have you seen from Crawford from development standpoint?

Allen: I think he’s improving and right now we’re trying to figure out exactly what that role will be for him as a first and second down end, can he give us something inside as far as pass rush is concerned. That’s something that we’re trying to evaluate as we go through this preseason.

Q: Your thoughts on the Saints?

Allen: Obviously it will be a great challenge for us. I think getting a chance to play a team like that, that is the explosive offense that they are will be a great challenge for us defensively to go up against them and try to get a little bit of a benchmark of where we’re at.

Q: Only got one punt from King against Dallas, what have you seen from him in terms of improving his consistency?

Allen: I’ve improvement. I’ve seen his consistency get better. I think that’s a good battle. I think that’s a good competition between him and Kluwe. Marquette is a guy who’s working extremely hard. He’s gotten better. The consistency with him as far as the punts, as far as the get off times, the little details are the things we’re still hoping to see him continue to improve. I think the last week or so I’ve seen a lot of improvement out of him. I think it’s a nice competition we have.

Q: Jeron Mastrud getting work with first in some packages, what are his strengths?

Allen: I think he brings us a pretty good presence as an in-line blocker. That’s one of the things we want to look at with him. I’ve been pleased overall with the tight end position. We have a lot of talented guys. We’re going to keep mixing those guys in and out and let them continue to work and let that thing shake out as the preseason goes on.

Q: What are the strengths of safety Usama Young?

Allen: Number one you can never have enough depth. I’ve been with Usama so I know exactly what I’m getting out of him. I think he’s actually he’s improved from the time that I had him there in New Orleans. I’m glad we have him and he’ll have a role for us this year.

Q: Do you expect Woodson’s leadership to rub off on Tyvon Branch?

Allen: Yeah absolutely. Number one let’s make no mistake about it Charles is here to play football and make plays for us first. He’s shown that he still has the ability to do that. Obviously it’s an added bonus to have a guy like that who has that veteran leadership. I think he’s been a good presence for our defense, he’s been a good presence for our room, for our entire team. I’m looking forward to seeing him out there on Sunday and making some plays.

Q: Do you have concerns about the pass rush?

Allen: We have to continue to improve. It’s not where it needs to be yet. That’s why we’re in training camp. These guys will have a chance to continue to improve and continue to show what they can do as we go through the rest of these preseason games. We still have three preseason games left to play so there’s still a long time before we have to open up for the opening game against Indianapolis.

• The_Judge37

Lol. Those were deep passes?

Ausberry caught and ran.

How long were the PASSES?
    ——

(Shotgun) T.Pryor pass deep right to J.Criner to OAK 47 for 23 yards (S.Moore).

1st and 10 at OAK 47 (Shotgun) T.Pryor pass short left to D.Ausberry to DAL 40 for 13 yards (E.Frampton).

1st and 10 at DAL 40 (Shotgun) T.Pryor pass short left to A.Holmes to DAL 22 for 18 yards (B.Underwood, E.Frampton).

• R8ER MIKE

makes my eyes red just thinking about it !!

• 8RaiderReign8

No Mas Diamante Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    Apparently not too much intelligent interaction here anymore. Too bad. Juvenile name calling and race baiting. grow up dorks.

Later
    ________________________

He’s right.

Can someone send me a link for a better blog?

Here’s my e-mail: specilaist@msn.com

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 1:01 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 12:55 pm

The Big Banana Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 12:46 pm
    Black QBs vs. White QBs, eh?

All the usual suspects spawned this discussion. Same ole same ole. Too bad Corkran can’t get rid of this garbage.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Melting pot my a$$. More like a boiling pot.

==================

more like melting plot
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    That’s funny.
    Btw, I got what you said about Wilson and Rogers. You. were not comparing a rookie to great vet who was MVP and SB winning QB. You were talking about their skills and Wilson at this point of his career. I doubt Rogers would have done the same his rookie year.
    I like Wilson a lot, but I’m not a fan of short QBs.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 12:47 pm

MistaBrown Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 12:44 pm
    SeymourSilver666Glen, you been posting pretty heavy for about 6 hours now. Isn’t about time to switch to your SeymourBush alias so it looks like you dont spend 18hrs a day here ?
    *******
    Lol. No, he has to complain about others being here and how he hates non football posts”

Did you guys see how hilarious this was seeing those 2 trolls falling in love with each other?

They planned their trolling day together how cute!

You two go trolling merrily along now hand in hand like our Punter would want you to.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    O ?? you have hash ?? please share with your GreenParty brothers sir !!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Dude. I don’t smoke. I can’t stop smoking if I had Hash and trees. I smoked everything I had then I quit.

• J Hill

I have more of an issue with check down artists vs “dink and dunk”.

I don’t think any of our QBs are check down specialists.

They all throw to the WRs.

• J Hill

Smoking getting in the way of your production, O?

• R8ER MIKE

Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 1:13 pm
    R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    O ?? you have hash ?? please share with your GreenParty brothers sir !!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

***************************
    it cool O, just dont show up at the compound, cause we never run out. seems like we get a little low and i will be damned if somebody doesnt make more !!lol lol lol

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

I wouldn’t be surprised to see our 2 precious trolls walking around the Oakland Coliseum with this shirt on!

• R8ER MIKE

oh damn….. look at the time….
    ITS 420 SMOKE UP GreenParty !!!!

• inonewordraider
  • Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

LMAO!!!!!!!

AND THEY SAID TI WOULD NEVER HAPPEN HERE!!!!!!

READ’EM AND WEEP I TOLD YOU IT WAS COMING

Q: Coach, you used the pistol formation and saw that around the league a lot of teams in the division are going to be using that. It’s obviously an advantage for you guys or else you wouldn’t be using it. Talk about defending the pistol and the challenges that brings up.

Coach Allen: Well, it’s option responsibilities. You’ve got to be assignment-perfect on every play, especially when you’re playing against an athletic quarterback that can exploit those challenges when you don’t fit everything up exactly right. We’ve spent a good bit of time. It’s nice having a guy like Terrelle Pryor on our team for our defense to have to defend against those things every day. That’s part of what we’re trying to incorporate some, and I think it’s benefitting both our offense and our defense.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Calm down Mistic1 Coach is just saying what we all have been telling you for months now.

Defenses will be ready for the RO and the Pistol this year more so than last year.

Why does that excite you so much do you like seeing defenses getting ready to squash your dream of the RO being an NFL staple?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 1:17 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 1:13 pm
    R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 1:07 pm
    O ?? you have hash ?? please share with your GreenParty brothers sir !!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

***************************
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Just wait till I start smoking again. I will show up with a hookah, and show you how to burn trees like a CHAMP.
    Burn Baby Burn!

• DJ Johnny

Mistic,

Where do think DA is leaning right now? Pryor as an important “piece” to practice AGAINST or more for Raider offensive purposes?

It’s hard for me to get a read on things DA says.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“It’s hard for me to get a read on things DA says.”

Sounded to me like he was saying that our defense will be ready for the Read Option this year and having Pryor on the practice squad as the opposing QB gives us a more realistic practice scenario. That should help us better prepare to defend it come game time.

• Whoknows

That’s what it sounds like to me…but I’m still in the DA is a pinhead camp.

• J Hill

——————————————————————————-

LMFAO

CLEARLY trying to get it started.

Bait is in the water, folks.

• R8ER MIKE

Burn Baby Burn!

********************
    this is why you ARE the GreenParty Vice Prez !!!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

J Hill Says:

LMFAO

CLEARLY trying to get it started.

Bait is in the water, folks.
    =======================================================

An innocent misstatement, I’m sure!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Our preseason game on NFLN.

• the famous dr robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 1:24 pm

**********
    Lol. He’s a SCOUT TEAM player!

And u love it. Priceless.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

M Vick was the best running QB, but TP has to be the best now. It looks effortless.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Burn Baby Burn!
    ======================================================

Kids today think everything’s new. Did you know a propery utilized Hookah is a vaporizer? A glowing cake of coal above which you place the medium, which is heated to just below the combustion point and the vapor is inhaled after passing thru the cooling water.

• the famous dr robert

Papa just said Pryor had a horrible practice yesterday.

U will see. U will see.

• Whoknows
  • http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    Burn Baby Burn!
    ======================================================

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You old farts like to get credit for everything. lol
    Forget technology, no water, weed doesn’t burn in a vapor, etc…. It’s the same thing.

• R8ER MIKE

my son has a hookah and i hate it. much sooner use the bong !!

• R8ER MIKE

its time for beers and buds.. see you all in the A.M. !!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Bongs are my favorite too. Sometimes when I have a lot of trees, I like to mix it with hookah tobacco (apple flavor), and smoke it in a hookah. 50/50.
    Yeah buddy.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Enjoy ODB.

• No Mas Diamante

I would have to concur that a bong offers a far more satisfying smoking experience.

• the famous dr robert

I’m getting a feeling Gordon AND ausberry are getting cut.

They drafted two for a reason.

We know Gordon is a blocker only and ausberry can’t block. Plus it’s debatable how good of a route runner he is.

So they weren’t happy with what they had.

Kasa is the prototype and DA already said they were counting on him.

Rivera is the h back.

Mastrud is now getting heavy reps. He has played for sparano and Allen’s teams already.

He’s like kasa. A blocker/receiver.

I’m starting to think it will be kasa/mastrud/Rivera.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Papa just said Pryor had a horrible practice yesterday.

U will see. U will see

—————

Ya but he also said yesterday Pryor has the potential to be a starter over flynn , wast not impressed with flynn and he is what he is.. gave a C+ on friday and a B + for pryor.

Everyone is seeing Pryor is better then flynn

• the famous dr robert

Not everyone and no one that counts.

• the famous dr robert

Leonhardt is in the picture too.

• Whoknows

Grew a tobacco plant (Connecticut broadleaf) last year, cured the leaves and used them to roll blunts. Got probably 4-5 blunts per leaf. Highly recommended. Makes your lips tingle.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Arizona Cardinals ‏@AZCardinals 9 Aug

Playing w/ a shaved head & no eyebrows thx to @ddockett, @Mathieu_Era had 2 tkls, 1 sack, 1 QB pressure & 1 PBU in his @nfl debut. #AZvsGB

————

Would have been perfect with CWOOD, HAYDEN, SIO.. new defense.. but they take WATSON who doesnt practice

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

DARNELL DOCKETT ‏@ddockett 9 Aug

Proud of my boy @Mathieu_Era sky’s the limit! It’s good to know you got some one that been thorough alot down to fight with you on Sundays!
    Retweeted by Tyrann Mathieu

• The_Judge37

R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:00 pm
    my son has a hookah and i hate it. much sooner use the bong !!
    ——–

Hookah’s do suck, i just hate the coal, or whatever that thing is, they use to light it. Takes way too long.

But just rip off the foil and put a flame to it and it’s just a bong

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

DeionSanders ‏@DeionSanders 11 Aug

@Mathieu_Era I seen u putting in work! I BELIEVE in u man and I know we wear the same cologne called Confidence! Truth
    Retweeted by Tyrann Mathieu

—————-

Reggie cmon man.. u cant take a chance on tyrann.. but u use a 3rd on Bergstrom?? a 2nd on Watson??

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Bucky Brooks ‏@BuckyBrooks 3 Aug

Not surprised to see @Mathieu_Era making plays at @AZCardinals training camp. Not many defenders w/better instincts http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2013/08/tyrann_mathieu_makes_three_big.html

————–

man and the Raiders draft guys that dont practice

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Whoknows Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:15 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wow!!!
    You should have been inducted in TGPHOF years ago.
    We salute you sir.

• PlunkforHOF

Left work early and putzed around coming home, only to find I missed an hour of replay.. Oh well Now I’ll remember the end of the game

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Ausberry should contribute a lot this season. IMHO our best TEs are Ausberry and Rivera.

• PlunkforHOF

Pryor looks fantastic closing out 2ndQ.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Jerry jones was talking about AL.
    I miss AL!!
    RIP AL!

• Whoknows

Thanks O, you know I’m in Sd so when you start back up we’ll have to hook up. I got a green thumb.

• Bigmike34

Can anyone Remember a Running QB that Actually brought his team to the Superbowl??? and Won…