1,095

Dennis Allen Q&A

A transcript of Raiders coach Dennis Allen with the media following practice Monday:

Allen: Tracy Porter, another one of those nagging camp injuries wasn’t able to finish practice today. We’ll see where he’s at once we get a chance to evaluate him. Woodson had the day off. We were able to get a couple of guys back, Sio Moore and D.J. Hayden back out at practice today. It’s the grind of camp. These guys are trying to push through and to battle through. We have to continue to work on our consistency. We’re not where we need to be yet but at least the guys are out here working.

Q: What is the plan for Hayden?

A: He won’t play this week. He should be cleared for contact on really Friday is actually when he should be cleared for contact. We’ll re-evaluate with the doctors after that. The plan going forward I would anticipate is he would be up and going with the Chicago game.

Q: With all the injuries on the defensive front, is it a nice luxury to have Woodson and Branch on the back end?

Allen: Obviously we’ve had some injuries up front but I feel overall I feel pretty good about where we’re at defensively. I think we’re much improved in the secondary and I think that’s going to allow us to do some different things defensively where we can be a little bit more multiple.

Q: Christo and McGee?

Allen: They still have a lot of improvement to do. But it was good for those guys to get in, get a lot of reps. My anticipation is they will get a lot reps again this week against New Orleans. I think that the more work that they get the better they are going to be.

Q: Thoughts on the development of defensive end Jack Crawford?

Allen: He’s in the same boat with those guys. Second-year player that really didn’t get an opportunity to play much in the preseason last year, didn’t get an opportunity to play much during the regular season. These preseason games are valuable to a lot of guys like that.

Q: Do you anticipate Sims and Walker as guys who play every most of the time or do you plan to rotate?

Allen: Obviously we haven’t had a lot of time with them so it’s been kind of hard to evaluate them. My anticipation is they would be the starters and that they would see significant action. But I think always with the defensive line the key is to be able to roll through guys and keep them all fresh.

Q: What have you seen from Crawford from development standpoint?

Allen: I think he’s improving and right now we’re trying to figure out exactly what that role will be for him as a first and second down end, can he give us something inside as far as pass rush is concerned. That’s something that we’re trying to evaluate as we go through this preseason.

Q: Your thoughts on the Saints?

Allen: Obviously it will be a great challenge for us. I think getting a chance to play a team like that, that is the explosive offense that they are will be a great challenge for us defensively to go up against them and try to get a little bit of a benchmark of where we’re at.

Q: Only got one punt from King against Dallas, what have you seen from him in terms of improving his consistency?

Allen: I’ve improvement. I’ve seen his consistency get better. I think that’s a good battle. I think that’s a good competition between him and Kluwe. Marquette is a guy who’s working extremely hard. He’s gotten better. The consistency with him as far as the punts, as far as the get off times, the little details are the things we’re still hoping to see him continue to improve. I think the last week or so I’ve seen a lot of improvement out of him. I think it’s a nice competition we have.

Q: Jeron Mastrud getting work with first in some packages, what are his strengths?

Allen: I think he brings us a pretty good presence as an in-line blocker. That’s one of the things we want to look at with him. I’ve been pleased overall with the tight end position. We have a lot of talented guys. We’re going to keep mixing those guys in and out and let them continue to work and let that thing shake out as the preseason goes on.

Q: What are the strengths of safety Usama Young?

Allen: Number one you can never have enough depth. I’ve been with Usama so I know exactly what I’m getting out of him. I think he’s actually he’s improved from the time that I had him there in New Orleans. I’m glad we have him and he’ll have a role for us this year.

Q: Do you expect Woodson’s leadership to rub off on Tyvon Branch?

Allen: Yeah absolutely. Number one let’s make no mistake about it Charles is here to play football and make plays for us first. He’s shown that he still has the ability to do that. Obviously it’s an added bonus to have a guy like that who has that veteran leadership. I think he’s been a good presence for our defense, he’s been a good presence for our room, for our entire team. I’m looking forward to seeing him out there on Sunday and making some plays.

Q: Do you have concerns about the pass rush?

Allen: We have to continue to improve. It’s not where it needs to be yet. That’s why we’re in training camp. These guys will have a chance to continue to improve and continue to show what they can do as we go through the rest of these preseason games. We still have three preseason games left to play so there’s still a long time before we have to open up for the opening game against Indianapolis.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Marks hair

I know I smoke more than any of the Green Party representatives…. but it’s probably better that the Prez and vice Pres are clear headed enough to spread the word.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Right now.. two wasted picks. 2nd round and 4th round

• The Big Banana

Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:20 pm
    Ausberry should contribute a lot this season. IMHO our best TEs are Ausberry and Rivera.

——

I’d like to see that. We were talking up Aus this time last year too, tho.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

When is FORD practicing… does he want to play??? or hangout

• lefty12

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    Right now.. two wasted picks. 2nd round and 4th round
    ===============================
    Name 1 team that drafts 7-9 players and they all make the team.Saying a player is a wasted pick 2 weeks into camp is quite an overreaction.

• Bigmike34

I will tell you why not….Running QBs, Like to run…and when they run be it to the right or left…The side the run to is the only side they can Pass to…and the only side they can see well…..

Pocket QBs Can pass to either side…

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

—————

dude im pissed right now.. We need Playmakers.. everywhere.. not guys who dont pratice.. Watson was still a newcomer to the game.. Im not mad at the WIlson pick.. but dang… can we get some premire college talent.

Hayden looks like a playmaker.. still wait n see… SIO mooore is another great start.. to pair with Lamar houston start building this d up

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

a 2nd round pick should be a starter or at least know the game

Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    Jerry jones was talking about AL.
    I miss AL!!
    RIP AL!
    ******
    True dat.

• the famous dr robert

Don’t be stupid. Watson is hurt.

He’s gonna be great.

• lefty12

You are overreacting.Injuries happen.Watson will be a ‘player’ for us.Read what DA says-he is counting on him ,he is in the Raiders plans.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

said at draft time.. the DLINE coach and OLINE coach were debating with reggie on who to take..

DL coach wanted a pass rusher lol

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

—————

Im overeacting right now cuz he is missing reps.. Ya I hope he is a player for us.. the whole pass rushing thing is weak though

• kellygreenninja

Interesting. I don’t think Ausberry even makes the team. I see him as less likely than Gordon, Kasa, Rivera, and even Mastrud at this point.

• the famous dr robert

A PRIMARY function of a TE is BLOCKING.

A lot of people think ausberry is good. Maybe. But maybe not.

I’m starting to think the occasional 14 yard catch isn’t worth sh1tty blocking for the run game.

• the famous dr robert

We haven’t yet seen the front 7 as a unit.

I think they will be solid.

If like to see a big time pass rush too but I think Moore and carter will give us quality pressure.

Plus blitzes.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I miss AL!!
    RIP AL!”

ME TOO!

• the famous dr robert

In my OPINION, if we start Flynn and either Jennings or Murray, this team can compete for the playoffs.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Can anyone Remember a Running QB that Actually brought his team to the Superbowl??? and Won…

Pocket QBs Can pass to either side…

QBs do need to have the instincts To Feel the rushers and So they can avoid them….Rodgers, Brady, Brees Are all guys that do that, as do most of the really good QBs….Guys like vick who can run Often will abandon the Pocket and Run…Injuries and turnovers soon follow”

Yes you are 100% correct and the one time a “running QB” won the Super Bowl he THREW 6 Touch Down Passes!!!

• the famous dr robert

NO WAY DA looks at that endzone freak out pick and thinks “yeah that’s who I’m rolling with”.

Jobs are on the line. No one cares about “giving Pryor a fair chance” and “being exciting”.

One bad gaffe can lose a game.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Flashy but stupid loses.

• PlunkforHOF

Butler glides when he runs

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Whoknows Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:22 pm
    Thanks O, you know I’m in Sd so when you start back up we’ll have to hook up. I got a green thumb.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I appreciate that. Thank you.

• the famous dr robert

NFL stands for “Not For Long” when u make idiotic throws like that.

This is the big leagues people. High pressure.

Fail and u gone.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

————–

ya he sees Fumbling not only in practice but in games and goes not again.. Palmer did the same thing.

Papa even said the the ball was stripped before flynn was hit. sean lee didnt make him fumble it was the end

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

The Big Banana Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:20 pm

——

I’d like to see that. We were talking up Aus this time last year too, tho.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Another mistake by Titty Monkey and his staff. Get production out of your players. I understand that he needs to work on blocking, but the kid can catch and run, so use him.

• inonewordraider

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:47 pm
    NFL stands for “Not For Long” when u make idiotic throws like that.

This is the big leagues people. High pressure.

Fail and u gone.

________________
    so are you saying coughlin should’ve benched the pick machine eli manning?

• PlunkforHOF

Got bids in on 2 jerseys

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Lefty12 Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:30 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    Right now.. two wasted picks. 2nd round and 4th round
    ===============================
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It’s too early to judge Watson, but you can’t argue that he is a project that started playing football in 2011.
    Drafting Wilson was a waste when we needed DL/ pass rushers. Drafting a 3rd string QB over a pass rusher that can start is a huge mistake.
    I didn’t like the picks then, and I still don’t like them now.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Bigmike34 Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Steve Young?!?!

Inonewordraider Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:51 pm
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:47 pm
    NFL stands for “Not For Long” when u make idiotic throws like that.

This is the big leagues people. High pressure.

Fail and u gone.

________________
    so are you saying coughlin should’ve benched the pick machine eli manning?
    ******
    Body of work.

Eli came into the league as a highly regarded passer due to…..his body of work.

The better ur body of work, the more leeway u get when u struggle.

• Whoknows

I didn’t like the picks then, and I still don’t like them now.
    **********************
    Great minds think alike.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Btw, a team that finishes 4-12 can’t afford to draft projects in the 2nd round and waste 4th rounders on 3rd string players.
    You people would have lost it, if Al did that.

Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:53 pm
    Bigmike34 Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Steve Young?!?!
    *******
    Steve young was amazing. But he was a pass first guy.

Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    You people would have lost it, if Al did that.
    ******
    Al drafted projects in the first round, God bless him.

• the famous dr robert

There are actually TWO knocks on ausberry.

Blocking and route running.

He can catch and run but he doesn’t get open consistently so he’s unreliable.

• lefty12

Assuming you will get a sure starting player at any position in the 4th rd is quite and assumption.Most teams will draft a QB in the mid rounds every year hoping they strike gold or at least get a good backup.Al did,they all do.

• PlunkforHOF

Lincoln Kennedy seems like a pretty well-spoken guy. Flores, Papa, and yes even Plunk are a little mush mouthed.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

When you finish 4-12, and you lack talent at many positions, I expect our high- mid round picks to start and/ or contribute immediately.
    Projects that started playing football in 2011 and 3rd string QBs don’t contribute immediately.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:56 pm

You people would have lost it, if Al did that.

========================================

You’ve forgotten 2009, I see…
    DHB in Round 1?
    Mike Mitchell in Round 2?
    Slade Norris in Round 4?
    Stryker Sulak (who didn’t even make it past OTAs) in Round 6?

• lefty12

It wouldn’t surprise me if when all is said and done Kasa emerges as the TE.Maybe not to start the season,but somewhere down the line.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:53 pm
    Bigmike34 Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Steve Young?!?!
    *******
    Steve young was amazing. But he was a pass first guy.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No he wasn’t, and that’s why TB traded him to SF. He was a terrible passer. Look at his stats. It took him a few years to develop.

• JLofty

O if you are going to go and start referring to HOF players in response to supposedly rhetorical questions how is someone’s agenda going to be manifested?

Come on O, get with the agenda!

• the famous dr robert

Pass rusher Quentin moses was a third rounder.

Didn’t make it out of camp.

• DutchRaider77

1033.the famous dr robert Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:53 pm
    Bigmike34 Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Steve Young?!?!
    *******
    Steve young was amazing. But he was a pass first guy.

____________________________________________________

True, but Steve Young did have many years where he put up as many yards rushing as Russell Wilson did last year.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Lefty12 Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not assuming we will get a starter in the 4th round, but I expect a backup who can contribute. A nickel pass rusher, STs player, etc…. I expect our 1st and 2nd round picks to be starters. 3rd and 4th solid depth and players that can contribute, and that’s why I say Moore is a great pick. We got a solid starter in the 3rd. Great pick.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

JLofty Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Come on O, get with the agenda!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I’m sorry. WTF was I thinking.
    LOL

• lefty12

=================================
    Exactly,and until he became a great passer Bill Walsh sat him on the bench.By the time he won his only SB he was more of a passer than a runner.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Stop it!

Steve Young threw for 6 TD’s in the Super Bowl its a record still!

How short your memories are….pot?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Mistic,

Where do think DA is leaning right now? Pryor as an important “piece” to practice AGAINST or more for Raider offensive purposes?

It’s hard for me to get a read on things DA says.

====================

thats easy math johnny

clearly its the raider offense

there is no qb in our division that plays pryors style or runs the hybrid like pryor will.

Im sure he is killing allens defense any time they break it out in practice.

maybe this is why he running with the ones a little now, to get them into the offense.

In fact I dont think there is another team in the AFC that runs the hybrid the way pryor will

Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 3:02 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:56 pm
    Raider O Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:53 pm
    Bigmike34 Says:
    August 13th, 2013 at 2:31 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Steve Young?!?!
    *******
    Steve young was amazing. But he was a pass first guy.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

*******
    Nonsense.

He was amazing at BYU. First team all America. Davey obrien award. Heisman runner up.

He played well in the usfl.

Struggled his first two years with a garbage bucs team.

Then shined for the niners.

Body of work/success buys u time.