Dennis Allen Q&A

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Tuesday, August 13th, 2013 at 7:13 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A transcript with Raiders coach Dennis Allen with the local media following practice Tuesday:

Allen: To start off, guys that either didn’t practice or weren’t able to finish practice: Nick Roach, Keenan Clayton, Jared Veldheer. I gave Andre Carter the day off. Veldheer is having an MRI on his triceps, so I don’t really have any update on that. As soon as I do, I’ll let you guys know.

Q: Did Veldheer get an MRI last week?

Allen: Yeah, we’re taking another look at [his triceps]. But we got Lamarr Houston back today and Billy Boyko back today. Hopefully we’ll continue to get some guys back as we keep going through the rest of this week and next week.

Q: How’s your bowling game?

Allen: I didn’t bowl, but it’s obvious to me that the offense is better than the defense.

Q: Coach, with (offensive coordinator) Greg Olson here, do you expect Marcel Reece to get utilized a little more than he has in the past, more reps?

Allen: Well, obviously Marcel’s a good player for us. That’s part of what we’re going for here in training camp; finding out what guys can do, and specifically Greg getting a good feel for what they can do, what they do well, what maybe they’re not quite as good at, and try to put them in a position where they can have some success. Marcel’s a guy that we feel like is a weapon for us. He’s a guy that we can do some different stuff with, flexing him out a little bit, so I would anticipate using him in that role.

Q: Flynn looked pretty sharp today. Is that indicative of the way he’s been?

Allen: He’s been pretty consistent throughout training camp. He’s been making some good decisions. He’s protected the football well, and really that’s what I expect out of him. I expect him to make good decisions for us, move the ball up the field and protect the football for us. I thought, with the exception of the first drive in the game the other day, he did a nice job in doing that.

Q: Will you look to use Terrelle Pryor with the ones at all in preseason games or will you mostly stick with Matt Flynn?

Allen: Do you want me to give you the whole game plan? I don’t know. We’ll see as we move along. Like I’ve said all along, we have some plays that we feel like really suit his skill set, and we’ll try to incorporate those plays in our game plans as we move along.

Q: With San Diego, Kansas City and Denver in the division with their offenses, is New Orleans going to be able to give you the best test you’ll be able to see this preseason?

Allen: Well, obviously I haven’t seen a lot of the divisional opponents as far as what they’re offering offensively, but I do know the New Orleans Saints are a prolific offense. They move the ball up and down the field, they score a lot of points, so it’ll be a great challenge for our defense to see where we’re at when we go down to the [Mercedes-Benz] Superdome and get a chance to play those guys.

Q: Is it tough for (Tyler) Wilson to get on track if he’s not getting a lot of snaps? And I imagine he probably won’t play much on Friday?

Allen: Yeah, well we’ll talk about the game, the rotation and how we’re going to play those guys probably tonight. We’ll get into that as a coaching staff. I think Tyler … Part of his learning process is going to have to be sitting back and watching some, and that’s where you’re at when you’re where he’s at on the depth chart. I think Matt (McGloin) is getting a little more from a reps standpoint, but we’re trying to split those third team reps up as close as we can based on the number of plays we go with the threes.

Q: How much better of a position are you guys, in depth wise, with the offensive line having guys like Alex [Parsons] and Andre (Gurode)?

Allen: Well, I think those two guys help us and provide us with a little more depth. Those are guys that we didn’t anticipate when we started training camp, and I think those guys have come on and given us a little bit more depth at that position. Obviously we’re still waiting on Menelik Watson, and I think, once we get him back out here, we’re going to have some depth on the O-line.

Q: Update on [Mike] Brisiel, is he still resting?

Allen: No. I want to make sure that he’s ready to go. Sixteen games is a long season and he’s a veteran, an older player. I want to make sure he’s ready to go.

Q: Week One to Week Two in the preseason, where are areas you want to see the most improvement in?

Allen: Well I think first of all I want to protect the football better. I want to make better decisions. I want to make sure we’re not turning the football over. Defensively, I want to make sure we’re getting a little bit more pressure on the quarterback. So those are some things we want to work on. And obviously, playing New Orleans’ offense, they don’t give up a lot of pressure on the quarterback, so it’ll be a big challenge for us.

Q: How did (Andre) Gurode do Friday, and how’s he doing so far at guard this week in practice?

Allen: I think he’s done fairly well. It was a position that we hadn’t worked him a whole lot at early in training camp. So when you look at it, guys are going to have to play more than one position, and so I think having a guy like him – who can play guard for us, that can play center for you, that’s a huge upside.

Q: Latavius Murray, do you expect him to be back out there this week?

Allen: To be honest with you, I really don’t know. I hope, but I really don’t know when he’ll be back.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 1h Jenkins shows nice hands in traffic on bullet up middle from Pryor … Butler also makes nice catch on sideline. He’s legit

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Pryor is the biggest team play you will meet. Stop being a drama queen

• Raider E

Thats some pretty good research Mistic. The difference for Pryor will be the team around him. None of the above QB’s had any success until they had elite talent on offense.

• Al_is_theraiders

pryor is the raiders best chance at winning its even more convincing now that veldeheer is out…

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 1h Flynn just not going to have success throwing longer than 25 yards, been clear all camp. Coaches have accepted that

—————-

so have Raider fans.. the same fans who disliked JCampbell

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

inonewordraider Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 11:59 am

thanks in advance

_______
    mistic

veldheer just injured himself probably out for the year, many people in here saying this is more reason for pryor to start

and you’re on this?
    =================

oh am i supposed to clear my post through your office?

gtfoh

besides losing a linemen is more reason we must roll with pryor and my post also speaks directly to starting pryor

• dplunk

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 11:58 am
    John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 2h Ah not good -> @VicTafur:Flynn just not going to have success throwing longer than 25 yards, been clear all camp. Coaches have accepted that
    ***************************************************** So our version of the “hail mary” is going to be a 10 yd check down?

• VanHeathen30

anyone know the timetable on triceps surgury…

Am I the only guy who isn’t going to panic over losing Veldheer?

good player, but we’ll be ok

• lefty12

Jerry McDonald ‏@Jerrymcd 1m
    Flynn shows he has occasional deep touch in strike to Rod Streater against Mike Jenkins
    ======================================
    Keep ignoring this one,fan club.

• Raider E

Now they are tweeting that Flynn is a joke?

So much for the Bart Starr comparisons.

• 0ak r8rs

Hope all you Barnes haters can get over it. Meet your new LT.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:

either answer these points or dont respond

thanks in advance
    ====================================================

Go with option two, people. Go with option two.

• Plunketthead

dplunk Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 11:39 am
    now wait a damn minute!…if a QB can’t have much success throwing father than 25 yds…Why in hell is he starting?

********************************

Plunketthead Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 11:21 am
    Jerry McDonald ‏@Jerrymcd 37m
    ************************
    I don’t buy the BS about not being able to throw 40 yards. 50-60? Yes
    But theres no way Matt cant throw 40 yards. I say someone is sandbagging and the 2013 Raiders have lots of suprises for the nfl this year

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Raider E Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 12:01 pm

================

doesnt matter

the point is those guys are legends and some hall of famers, they struggled at times but were afforded the chance to improve over a very long period of time.

why is pryor then being written off after 1 preseason red zone pick and less than 9 nfl quarters of pro football?

if those other guys could improve and have teams built around them so can pryor

pryor has more talent than any qb on the list i posted

Aaron Rodgers lost his LT for the season too.

think he’ll call to encourage Flynn (again) ??

pretty sure AR @ GB ain’t packing it in, entering the Clowney sweepstakes

• Raider E

Am I the only guy who isn’t going to panic over losing Veldheer?

good player, but we’ll be ok

—————————–

@RRS

I am in your corner on this one. I would say Veldheer is decent, but next man up.

Not going to miss him much.

• lefty12

I’m with you Rock.Good player,but not irreplaceable.

• inonewordraider

oh am i supposed to clear my post through your office?

gtfoh

_____________
    nice book report, great research, i’m sure you couldn’t sleep thinkin about how awesome it’d be after you posted it

most fans want pryor to start, you’re one of us, not against us

• ElkGRaider

So our version of the “hail mary” is going to be a 10 yd check down?
    ———-
    It’s a catch and run though…a catch and run

Ha

• inonewordraider

August 14th, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:

either answer these points or dont respond

thanks in advance
    ====================================================

Go with option two, people. Go with option two.

____________
    hahaha

oh the llama man

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Keep ignoring this one,fan club

—————-

Lets see him do it with a pass rush.. and with pads on .. not a light practice

wake up

• Raider E

pryor has more talent than any qb on the list i posted

—————————————–

@Mistic

I wouldn’t say Pryor has more talent than Elway, and I hate Elway.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Cmon on righty u know this

• SnBG

Flynn can’t throw deep hey?

Flynn later showed an ability to throw a deep ball with touch, finding Rod Streater for 50-yard strike to the goal line.

• Bigmike34

Who knows

If you are too stupid to figure our what I said about Flynn’s 80 yard completion….I can’t help you…

P.S. Maybe this will help…Tom Brady says in a game he can throw the ball 55-60 yards …but has 80 yard completions? DUH No doubt that is too Much of a mystery for you to even contemplate..

• inonewordraider

VanHeathen30 Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 12:04 pm
    anyone know the timetable on triceps surgury…
    ___________
    a season, a year for full recovery

I think Charlie is going to have a heart attack when he logs in, lol

‘MR OLINE’ probably needs to be talked off the ledge right about now.

if we trot out trash like Alex Barron & Willie Smith at LT and still make the playoffs, maybe he’ll see that games are won with skill position players … no longer in the trenches

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

You dropped your credibility. You might want to pick it back up

—————

shush up.. nobody has credibility here son

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

inonewordraider Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 11:54 am

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 11:52 am
    if anyone suggests Kwame harris, rrs will lose it!

***

@inonewordraider

if Reggie signs Kwame to fill the starting LT spot, I think he’d lose more Raider fans than just me !!

_______

• inonewordraider

Raider E Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    pryor has more talent than any qb on the list i posted

—————————————–

@Mistic

I wouldn’t say Pryor has more talent than Elway, and I hate Elway.

___________
    jamarcus Russell has more talent than elway

• SnBG

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    Aaron Rodgers lost his LT for the season too.

think he’ll call to encourage Flynn (again) ??

pretty sure AR @ GB ain’t packing it in, entering the Clowney sweepstakes
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    haha, silly guy.

Flynn can’t throw deep hey?

***

@SnBG

did you just climb out of Palmer’s bed to give Flynn praise?

maybe you’re a Raider fan after all!!

• lefty12

Lets see him do it with a pass rush.. and with pads on .. not a light practice

wake up
    ——————————-
    Go back and look at the pass he threw to TO last pre-season,hater.

• Al_is_theraiders

again…flynn can throw 40 yards but they will float…in the air longer, gives dbs tine to
    make a play on it…he cant get any velocity on throws that need it…should be around 10 yards off the ground to travel 20-25 yards downfield quickly…flynn will put 20 yards of air on it…takes too long to come down.

• tring

Jared Veldheer has torn triceps, needs surgery

Posted by Josh Alper on August 14, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
    Jared Veldheer
    AP
    The results of the MRI are in and they aren’t good for Raiders left tackle Jared Veldheer.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen announced Wednesday that Veldheer has a torn left triceps that will need to be surgically repaired. There’s no exact timetable for his return, although Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com reports that the plan is for Veldheer to go on injured reserve with the designation to return which suggests the Raiders are holding out hope that he’ll be able to help the team at some point this season.

To say this is a major blow to the Raiders is an understatement akin to saying that Anthony Weiner needs a little more self-control on social media. Veldheer is the Raiders’ best offensive lineman and perhaps their best offensive player and his loss will leave an already iffy looking offense even more vulnerable.

It might be easier to swallow if second-round pick Menelik Watson were close to ready, but he just came off the non-football injury list last week and wound up leaving his first practice early after re-injuring his calf. That leaves the Raiders without much choice other than starting journeyman Alex Barron, who is better known for a propensity for penalties than he is for bulldozing opposing defenders.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain
  • Raider E

jamarcus Russell has more talent than elway
    ——————————————-

maybe we can bring him in for a look-see at LT.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Should have kept leinart if u wanted to play that pzzzy 10 yard checkdown game.

At least u wouldnt be paying him 6 milly.. and has more wins then Flynn

• inonewordraider

if anyone suggests Kwame harris, rrs will lose it!

***

@inonewordraider

_______
    haha

of course my bro, I would not be on board with that one either
    ===============================================

What’s Mario doing?

_______
    I say cornell green

guy has a mean streak!

What’s Mario doing?

***

@Purv

Utah Blaze (Arena Football League)

• Que

More adversity but GO RAIDERS. I have to say, when I saw during the offseason J. Veldheer and his nonstop bodybuilding. I thought to myself , why is everyone so impressed. A body builder or ” hulk” isnt what we need our most important linemen to be! Geez dude , honestly is it possible he might have cost us a solid season? Over doing it, no one will say but one does wonder. Anyway Go Raiders and Im still excited

• ElkGRaider

You think DA will give us updates on Veldheer saying he’s close, and call it a nick?

• hwnrdr

Veldheer on IR with designation to return as early as November 3rd! That is IF….

• Whoknows

Bigmike34 Says:
    August 14th, 2013 at 12:10 pm
    Who knows

*************************
    I know I shouldn’t have bothered to reply to you but your point was to say he threw an 80 yrd pass. I just called BS on you. Tell me Dr., how far did the ball travel in the air on that 80 yrd pass?

• inonewordraider

_________
    zing!

• lefty12

Whoknows-that is all you have to be able to throw it-occasionally.You can’t live throwing bombs every play.

• SnBG

Flynn threw several long balls in against Detroit.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Tell that to Arizona HC.. u can make a livin throwin the ball deep.. it only opens up the run game.. and if you are gonna be a run team.. might as well have QB who can do both