Raiders Bay Area News Group links

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, August 15th, 2013 at 6:10 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Travel day to New Orleans . . . a few links to stories in print and/or on the Web in Bay Area News Group papers:

To find out why it will be no Brees in the secondary for the Raiders against the Saints Friday night, click here.

To read about how Raiders coach Dennis Allen has borrowed heavily from Saints coach Sean Payton, click here.

To read Tim Kawakami’s column about why this team is a better fit for Allen, click here.

For a link to Friday’s noontime chat that I’ll be conducting from New Orleans, click here.

(There’s a noontime chat on the 49ers as well, which I’m guessing is of interest to exactly zero people who read this blog).

• eastoaklandraider

I just wanna get Pryor ready for 2014. Let him take his lumps now we will be better for it next year.

• Raider Riff

Unfortunately, the MVP title has a few different definitions.

1. Best player on the best team (think Lebron)
    2. Most valuable to his team (think Puig or VY that one magical season)
    3. The guy you’d pick first in a draft and pay the most in the league (think Michael Jordan)

Its really hard to have the discussion when we all pick a different of those three definitions.

• eastoaklandraider

Dodgers vs Tigers in WS, Tigers get it done finally.

• theghostronin79

guest123 Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 8:32 am
    Isn’t the game on tape delay and shown for free in in its entirety on NFLN? Midnight or so. I don’t mind DVRing it and watching on Saturday morning.

==============

Yeah, it must be Midnight for you, if it’s on at 9:00 for me here on the west coast.

• Just Fire Baby

That’s why they let 300 writers vote on it and it should all play itself out.

Puig should win some MVP’s in time, when he logs a full season and become a little more well rounded.

Guys like Votto and McCutcheon are beasts who don’t make ridiculous baseball running errors that over-excited rookies do.

• SnBG

Good more to the great Raider nation!

Raiders on NFLNet tonight at 9PST!

• Raider Riff

798. True true true.

Kershaw is indeed the best player on the Dodgers. So its hard to give Puig the MVP when he’s not even the best player on his team. I see ur point there.

As for Gonzalez. Let’s not get carried away. He’s VERY good. But he’s a role player. The talent to be the MVP of his team but not the mentality. Like a Rasheed Wallace (best most talented role player ever possibly). But Gonzalez’s lack of fire was part of the problem prior to Puig showing up.

• Just Fire Baby

I am going to try to go in “Fresh” for the 10pm showing of the replay.

Hate watching sporting events I already know the outcome of. I mean I can’t stand in when I forgot I paused a Raiders game for two minutes and I read a comment on the blog about a play I am about to watch.

The key is, WTF to do between 6-10pm?

• Raider Riff

I don’t care if he logs a full season.

That argument is as stupid as those who say pitchers can’t win MVPs.

• SnBG

Good morning nation.

• irjonny

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 8:42 am
    Dodgers vs Tigers in WS, Tigers get it done finally.

——————-

Dodgers are the best team in the MLB and this “hot streak” isn’t a hot streak….it’s just how good they are

• irjonny

if you wanna watch the game live from home just go to vipbox(dot)tv and minimize the popups….great site

• Just Fire Baby

Gonzalez is trying to be the “latin influence” on Puig and keep him in-line, but he is wearing thin on that.

Puig is now on his 3rd Dodgers mandated “life-coach” in about 3 months. The last guy was a specials ED teacher from Las Cruces, who quit last week supposedly around Puig and his alcohol use/driving etc.

The best thing for Puig is to play baseball year round. This offseason will be very Johnny Manziel-ish for him.

Get your popcorn ready.

• SnBG

I live in the Central time zone so I will have to leave the blog when the game starts and then watch it tomorrow morning. Then go back onto the blog. I also hate it when I know the outcome of a game and then watch it.

• Just Fire Baby

I don’t care if he logs a full season.

********************************

You got to have a certain number of AB’s to quality for things, just like passing attempts in football, etc.

I think he just now qualified for Batting average.

He missed like 50 games, that is a lot. 1/3 of a season.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

If Kiss is from New York, why on earth is the team based in Los Angeles?

Will there be a Jewish duet between Kiss’ Israeli-born lead singer Gene Simmons and Rush’s Geddy Lee during halftime of the first matchup between the L.A. Kiss and the Chicago Rush?
    ______

Back-n-Black Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 8:24 am

Just read that KISS is buying an AFL team for LA. That should be interesting.

• willy91137

MistaBrown Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 8:37 am
    All these libtard celebs turning on their beloved messiah and marxist dictator in chief.

0bomba is a snake – Oliver Stone
    The pres and I had a divorce – Matt Damon

Wokeup about 2 years too late, imbeciles.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Put on your tinfoil hat the black helicopters are coming

• irjonny

i hate the media.

one decent pre-season game for mathieu and he’s christ reborn

• Just Fire Baby

I guess asking “WTF do I do” for 4 hours in relation to NO football and blog was a sad look into things wasn’t it?

LOL

• SnBG

I’d love to go to to a site like vipbox and watch it live but for me it’s not possible as I’m on Satellite Internet and the feed is slower and Hughesnet has download limits.

• eastoaklandraider

811, Tigers have the best hitter EVER imo and the best pitching staff. Bullpen is a ? Tho. Regular stats don’t mean sqaut whe PO’s start.

• irjonny

SnBG Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 8:55 am
    ————

ouch. hughesnet sucks. where do you live?

• Raider Riff

I think Gonzalez and Puig are good for each other.

And yeah, Puig has a few potholes in his future. Dodger management better be ready to weather the storm and help the kid thru it. It seems they are already aware and making efforts.

• irjonny

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 8:55 am
    ————

can’t take anything away from DET they are a great team…i’m just a dodger fan so i hope to see them in WS and crush em

• Breaking_Black

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 8:51 am

Get your popcorn ready
    —-
    When I saw that he already had a Rolls Royce before the All-Star break, I figured this is gonna be a “take the good with the bad” situation.

• Raider Riff

I picked Detroit vs Dodgers a while back.

That would be such a huge matchup. It would get me to even watch. I haven’t watched a world series closely in over 15 years.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

willy91137 Says:
    Put on your tinfoil hat the black helicopters are coming
    =================================================

Willy for the score!

• Just Fire Baby

Don’t know what the Tigers are going to do about the back-end of the bullpen.

They might drop a starter off the rotation and turn him into a closer, a la Wainwright with the Cards in 2006 or whatever it was.

Leyland is smart enough not to trot out Valverde anymore.

MLB sucks.

not just McClain, baseball

• REALLIONAIREB

Got my ticket 4 the game tonight baby anybody goin tonight???

• Just Fire Baby

The only reason the Dodgers didn’t bring him up to start the year was to try to humble him.

He hit over .500 in spring and didn’t make the team when camp broke. And then waited 50 games to call him up even as the team was tanking and he was dominating the minors.

What does that tell you?

yeah willy, only a crazy person would think Prez BO isn’t doing a fantastic job. Pfft.

open your eyes, u old skank

• SnBG

Irjonny Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 8:56 am
    SnBG Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 8:55 am
    ————

ouch. hughesnet sucks. where do you live?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    In QROO Mexico south of Cancun in the jungle on a lake.

• guest123

Dodgers are a hot team no doubt. But history proves that every team goes thru a rough spot. Dodgers aren’t that good. I think they inevitably stumble as luck plays a lot into winning streaks. Law of averages says so. They will be alright though.

• Raider Riff

831.

I’d agree with that line of thought.

@irjonny

SnBG blogs from whatever high school locker he gets shoved in

I hear he’s a big Pryor fan now though, so he’s cool with me

• Just Fire Baby

I don’t see an NL team scoring enough runs to beat Kershaw, Greinke and RYU in a 7 game series.

I think maybe the Reds could, but the Braves and Pirates are not good matchups for the Bums.

Braves especially, strikeout hitters vs strikeout pitchers.

Take the pitchers everytime in the postseason.

• willy91137

RaidingTexas Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 8:16 am
    NFL.com is offering Preseason Live for $14.99. Trying to decide if I want to pay $5/game for the remaining preseason games.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I paid 19.95 it’s all right but isn’t not what I thought it was thay show you the highlights at first which is kind good I can set through a reader preseason game but some other team NO

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

SnBG Says:
    In QROO Mexico south of Cancun in the jungle on a lake.
    =====================================================

Any interesting discoveries down there recently?

• eastoaklandraider

Irjonny, I like the dodgers too as long as they beat up on the Giants.

• irjonny

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 9:07 am
    Irjonny, I like the dodgers too as long as they beat up on the Giants.
    ———————

if you formed a baseball team from the the participants in a zumba class at curves they could beat the giants right now lol

• VanHeathen30

how does a back up QB with two career starts get tendonitis…what’s going to happen when he plays 16 games in a season…

• RaidingTexas

Raider Riff Says:

Its worth it.

U save that money by not having to go to a sports bar.

Plus, getting to watch the game over and over is a huge plus if you’re into that sorta thing.

————————————-

Good points, Riff. I wish they would offer an online live package for regular season, like MLB does.

Can you believe that Time Warner Cable customers will not be able to watch the CBS games unless they have OTA antennas? That is fkn ludicrous.

today is Ty Wilson’s birthday. maybe he’ll play better now that he’s a little more “mature” ??

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Gallop poll says 62% disapprove of Hussein. So 38% of the public is either brain dead (see this blog) zombies or refuses to be informed.
    _______

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 9:03 am

open your eyes, u old skank

• VanHeathen30

So we cut an old QB with a bad elbow, for a younger back up QB with a bad elbow…
    Hell of an upgrade at the QB1.

• SnBG

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 9:07 am
    SnBG Says:
    In QROO Mexico south of Cancun in the jungle on a lake.
    =====================================================

Any interesting discoveries down there recently?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;A\
    A friend whom has a restaurant and small resort in the town of Huy Pix opened it on a beautiful lake called Laguna Milagros near the Belize border. West of Chetumal there is a place with several jeweled pools of water to swim in and have a picnic. Also in the mountains west of us and about an hours drive we went to a bee farm where they make the best honey you will ever taste. Did you see Cenote Azul when you drove down by Bacalar?

I’m mildly surprised we didn’t target this guy in FA:

Hell of an upgrade at the QB1.

***

@Van Helsing

where did you get this report of Flynn’s supposed “injury” ??

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

How does one stumble across the information that Gene Simmons and Geddy Lee are jewish? Kiss was an overblown poofter band that I never had time for, but I liked Rush before 2112 came out and somehow missed that factoid.