Raiders Bay Area News Group links

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, August 15th, 2013 at 6:10 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Travel day to New Orleans . . . a few links to stories in print and/or on the Web in Bay Area News Group papers:

To find out why it will be no Brees in the secondary for the Raiders against the Saints Friday night, click here.

To read about how Raiders coach Dennis Allen has borrowed heavily from Saints coach Sean Payton, click here.

To read Tim Kawakami’s column about why this team is a better fit for Allen, click here.

For a link to Friday’s noontime chat that I’ll be conducting from New Orleans, click here.

(There’s a noontime chat on the 49ers as well, which I’m guessing is of interest to exactly zero people who read this blog).

• the famous dr robert

Gordon and ausberry are both in the bubble.

They drafted kasa to start and mastrud is very much like him.

They want a blocker/receiver and I agree.

Mastrud has also played in sparanos and DA’s teams.

• Just Fire Baby

Ausberry sucks blocking.

PFF gave him a horrendous rating on his blocking last week, and he picked up a hold to boot.

Can’t hold against backup DE’s in the run game.

• the famous dr robert

No Mas Diamante Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 10:10 am
    I know I should stay away from the trolls. But I work hard. I have been coming here for years now. I look forward to catching up on team and reading people’s viewpoints and opinions . I hate it when trolls ruin that experience. Won’t engage further.
    *******
    I keep telling u and the other girls to ignore me.

What happened? As SOON as u got here, u immediately talked about me and them complained when “the troll” responded to ur attack.

Perhaps u girls are the trolls who can’t leave me alone.

Try it. Just…..shut…..up……about…..me.

I’m gonna respond EVERY TIME until u stfu or go away forever.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 10:13 am
    Ausberry sucks blocking.

Can’t hold against backup DE’s in the run game.

==========================================

Exactly, and this coaching staff is “block or get out” with regards to the TEs.

• the famous dr robert

Btw, no mas. I NEVER talk to u. Ur the one who wanted to make urself known by coming after the famous one.

• inonewordraider

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 9:25 am
    @JFB

who cares if Flynn has the build of a 14 year old boy?
    ______-
    and this my friends, Is why I log on

• the famous dr robert

I noted LAST year that when hired, DA and Reggie commented about TWO positions that needed a huge upgrade: CB and TE.

• the famous dr robert

Inonewordraider Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 10:16 am
    RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 9:25 am
    @JFB

who cares if Flynn has the build of a 14 year old boy?
    ______-
    and this my friends, Is why I log on
    *******
    Lol. Pretty sure the 14 year old boy thing would get beeech revved up.

• the famous dr robert

Some of u hate the Doctor (talking in the third person is very popular with famous/narcicistic people) but I have a radical effect on the blog (of course).

Blog accomplishments:

1) bringing attention to beeechs gayness (many knew this but it came to the fire due to the Doctor)
    2) driving missdick mad. He was always a bigot but now he’s a “space age” bigot laughing maniacally as we speak
    3) being qb rating to the table
    4) being hilarious
    5) setting a blog record for quantity of times the word “meltdown” is uttered as a desperate attempt at a comeback
    6) being even more hilarious

Ur welcome.

this coaching staff is “block or get out” with regards to the TEs

***

@Duck

really? how does that explain Brandon Myers?

• inonewordraider

ausberry looked better than rivera run blocking, rrs says rivera was blocking well although I must have missed it

but I saw them get burned several times by the speed rush around the edge pass blocking

hope they get it together, they’re two of our best offensive weapons

• theghostronin79

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 10:11 am
    Gordon and ausberry are both in the bubble.

============

I disagree…….Ausburry isn’t on any damn bubble.

Yeah, Reggie ain’t gonna cut a player he just drafted? Bullsheet.

Not a single TE we have can do what Auz can do after the catch….Based on what we’ve seen.

Kasa / Rivera vs Dallas…..Drop, Drop

Ausburry……Catch, 2 broken tackles, 1st down. Let’s cut that guy.

• the famous dr robert

7) helping to ensure our preseason is rabidly watched, as sides have been taken, and it MEANS SOMETHING!

@inonewordraider

how’s your day bro?
    watchin’ the game tonight live or TIVO?

• Just Fire Baby

really? how does that explain Brandon Myers?

*******************************

I think it explains him leaving doesn’t it?

• the famous dr robert

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 10:24 am
    this coaching staff is “block or get out” with regards to the TEs

***

@Duck

really? how does that explain Brandon Myers?
    ********
    He couldn’t block so he got out.

• Myopinion

A te that can get open isequally important as a blocking te.
    blocking te is a dime a dozen on waiver wire. A playmaker likeaus, rivera, wont find one. I think locks are aus,riv, kasa has leeg up on gordon,mastrud due to potential. And just drafted. would be convenient if he gets going.the third te will be a blocker,if kasas not that guy,we keep kasa,and carry 4.not sure hed make it to ps?

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 10:24 am
    this coaching staff is “block or get out” with regards to the TEs

***

@Duck

really? how does that explain Brandon Myers?

============================================

I was referring to Olson. Note that Myers is gone now.

• the famous dr robert

Ronin–ausberry can catch and run but word is that he doesn’t get open very often cuz he runs poor routes.

Gotta get open to use those skills.

• the famous dr robert

Receiving TEs are probably LESS important than blocking TEs.

The real need is TEs that can do both.

• The Big Banana

Wonder how Aus made the team last year with the block or get out mandate?

rrs says rivera was blocking well although I must have missed it

***

allow me to clarify. I didn’t really pay much attention to blocking when I watched the game live. I went back and watched some 12 minute highlights clip to see who was blocking and that’s where I said the two guys I saw in every big play mixing it up and getting nasty were Rivera & Bergstrom. they were active & willing blockers.

I didn’t say Mike Rivera was some stud blocker, just that he’s not complete crap like everybody painted him out to be. Bergs either

• Just Fire Baby

Having one-dimensional TE’s on the field is tipping your hand pre-snap.

Pretty sure Gordon will never be a pass-catcher, so it is up to Ausberry and Rivera to turn into at least competant blockers to warrant being on the field all 3 downs.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

The Big Banana Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 10:30 am
    Wonder how Aus made the team last year with the block or get out mandate?

================================================

Because Greg Olson was not our offensive coordinator last year.

• inonewordraider

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 10:25 am
    @inonewordraider

how’s your day bro?
    watchin’ the game tonight live or TIVO?

_____
    sisters graduation dinner so i’ll have to watch the replay 1230am

I tried to convince her to pick a sports bar but it wasn’t happening

you guys have cable in Podunk yet?

• Just Fire Baby

Rivera competes, has a passion for the game.

Clearly evident in his college “film” and so far in camp and preseason.

Football player.

• theghostronin79

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 10:28 am

Gotta get open to use those skills.

=============

I thought it was “Word WAS” about his routes….

Now, “Word Is” according to camp reports and various tweets….That he is leading the pack in a Total Package regard.

Obviously I can’t see him practice, buy I don’t get the feeling he’s getting touted just based on seniority this year. I think he’s upped his game as well as his weight, so he can be a better blocker.

• inonewordraider

_________
    thanks for that, i’m glad to know rivera mixed it up

bergs definitely got better as the game went on and even played with a little meanstreak, i’m sure he’ll continue to improve/gain confidence

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

The Big Banana Says:
    Wonder how Aus made the team last year with the block or get out mandate?
    ======================================================

He was to be part of the red zone packages that Knapp never got around to drawing up.

• theghostronin79

=============

Yeah Rivera was getting in peoples Grills. If he’d have stayed with his man just a TAAAD longer on the Pryor run left, I think TP would have housed it. It was Rivera’s man that forced TP outta bounds.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

after last night the nfc east is in major trouble.

The giants and cowboys need to hit the reset button because they will have no answers for RGIII and Eagle 7.

The hybrid offense is just too damn good. Chip kelly’s offense is outstanding and looks even better in the pro game. Vick was born for the shot gun, and the fact that the read option and motions create such wide passing lanes makes it as if vick is throwing against 1 on 1 coverage on every pass attempt.

i will say this mccoy needs to get into better shape, he looks like he is struggling to keep up with the pace of the game at times. The eagles must shuttle their backs in and out keeping maccoy fresh.

It will simply be impossible for teams to keep up with the likes of Vick, mccoy and jackson in the fourth quarter of games.

Im saying this write now , if the eagle defense can just be middle of the road the y will make the playoffs, and vick could be in for another mvp type super star season.

Book it!!!

• inonewordraider

Rivera competes, has a passion for the game.

Clearly evident in his college “film” and so far in camp and preseason.

Football player.

___
    some two te sets with rivera and ausberry if they can handle the blocking would be very helpful to the offense

• DutchRaider77

920.the famous dr robert Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 10:30 am
    Receiving TEs are probably LESS important than blocking TEs.

The real need is TEs that can do both.

__________________________________________________

Scheme wise? Can you have a guy like Ausberry split out and see what the defense gives you? (Kellen Wislow on the Browns seemed to be split out a lot? More of a receiver than TE)

They put a Linebacker on him, he is the hot read?

They put a DB on him and you audible to a run on his side?

• guest123

Having one-dimensional TE’s on the field is tipping your hand pre-snap.

**********

if you are hoping for anything other than a one-dimensional TE, then you are dreaming. We don’t have a complete TE on the roster.

@inonewordraider

I haven’t checked to see if the RAIDS game is televised in Podunk. I usually watch streaming online, constantly trying to click “X” on the thousands of popups from p0rn sites

• Myopinion

You put aus and rivera,and reece in, no way the ds in base anyway. start putting lbs or safeties on these guys ill bet there good blockers. I think 4tes and 5wr includingcribbs.
    I think if aus and rivera are used as big wr,they will excel.nice knowing you criner.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

inonewordraider Says:

sisters graduation dinner so i’ll have to watch the replay 1230am

I tried to convince her to pick a sports bar but it wasn’t happening

you guys have cable in Podunk yet?
    ======================================================

That’s mighty unaccommodating of her.

I think RR’s dirty little secret is that he moved FROM podunk (Stockton area) to a cul de sac in a gated community.

• Just Fire Baby

“Another” MVP type season from Vick?

When was the first one?

Do they print MVP awards in November? If so he might win one.

• RaiderDebo
  • Angry Villager with Pitchfork

Post 740 – Great Post!

Let’s go King! Let’s go Pryor!

• guest123

like my man G123, I have a reputation to uphold. maybe not on this blog .. but in “real life” haha…

***********

smart man. take my advice. it’s not worth having to explain the p0rn pop ups. “honey, it’s just football! honest.”

X

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

I would like to see the raiders go up tempo when pryor is in the game tonight. What he did in that two minute drive was truly special, and that is when he is at his best, when he plays fast.

pryor in collge was a one man show, and would wear teams down over the course of the game. Because defenders had to defend every inch of the field on every snap, and still find energy to chase pryor around they would be gassed in the fourth quarter.

like a great running back that tires out the defense then blows them away in the final stanza pryor also has that kind of an affect passing and running.

Dmac also used to be that way in college. i think dmac reece and pryor can literally makes teams fold or fall apart gasping desperately for wind, looking like flounder flopping about trying to tackle.

when the secondary and line backers are too nosy watching the misdirection bubble screens, motions short passes and runs, pryor hits him deep with bomb to one of our speedy wrs.

even if they dont show this tonight olson needs to watch every snap of chip Kelley and kyle shanahans offense.

Pryor is a fantastic young passer with an arm chiseled by the hand of the most high, but he is also one of the most explosive players in the nfl running as well. he is on par with vick and rgIII

If i were too compare qbs , i would say pryor is a mix of vick and elway.

***

lol, good one Purv

if you think Stockton is “Podunk” you obviously haven’t been there. Ask Raccoon or Guest

• Myopinion

Could that be the reason we dont have an obvious slit wr on the team.

• Myopinion

Slot

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderDebo Says:
    Could it be??
    ======================================================

Debo, I’ll go back to being ‘ Purvisman/Intrepid/Full Disclosure’ if you want the ‘Eternal Optimist’ add on.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RaiderRockstar Says:
    ======================================================

Been a while. Driving thru Sunday and then on to beautiful Fresno.

• Just Fire Baby

I think Criner is our slot guy.

Not all slot WR’s are Wes Welker like.

Decker plays a lot of slot in Denver, Colston IS the slot WR in New Orleans, McAffery used to play a lot of it, Jurevicious, etc.

You can be a big dude and play the slot.

• No Mas Diamante

I’ve been here for five years plus. Not going anywhere. Seen many a racist troll like you and they fade away. To the posters who actually are solid football guys here, I appreciate you posts and Raider acumen. Frustrating when your time is limited and you’re trying to scroll thru a thousand posts every other one is from the same racist troll. Ruins the blog.

• Al_is_theraiders

double te set would help both tackles…