Live chat: Inside the Oakland Raiders, 12 p.m. Friday

Join beat writer Jerry McDonald for a noon live chat in preparation for Friday evening’s preseason match-up between the Oakland Raiders and New Orleans Saints.<br>

<iframe src=’http://embed.scribblelive.com/Embed/v5.aspx?Id=172075&ThemeId=5802′ width=’475′ height=’600′ frameborder=’0′ style=’border: 1px solid #000′></iframe>

cestrella

• Just Fire Baby

Jerry agreed with myopinion that Criner is on the roster bubble.

He sure doesn’t act like it on the field. That dude walks around the field, prancing with his shirt untucked like all this preseason stuff is below him.

• guest123

Interesting comment by Jerry regarding Rivera, considers him a roster ‘lock’

• guest123

Criner should be cut if doesn’t have some Brice Butler type plays he can defend himself with. He’s lucky to be in the league. Can’t teach speed.

• Breaking_Black

Sometimes, before I leave a comment, I ask myself..”Have I said this already?”
    Only sometimes though.

• Marks hair

I have yet to be impressed with criner.. but id still cut Ford first.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

PilagingJustForFun Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Every time they say Pryor looks bad at practice. He looks good in the game!
    ==========================================

I love having fun with you Pryor Flyers. But in all seriousness, I hope he has a good game as well. New Orleans will be a good test for us even tho it is preseason. I would not be surprised if the Aint’s didn’t win the NFC South this year with Payton back.

• guest123

Even Jacoby Ford needs to bring some tape to justify his cost, or he can start packing.

I was hoping, but patience is wearing thin.

• inonewordraider

what i’ll be watching for:

-blocking of ausberry rivera barron gurode and bergstrom

-dmoore and butlers hands

-Houston bass sio’s and Robinsons pass rush

-how flynn and pryor play under pressure

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Marks hair Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I have yet to be impressed with criner.. but id still cut Ford first.
    =========================================

Don’t hold your breath on the guy either. He has been a bit of a disappointment, if you can call a 5th round guy a disappointment.

• Just Fire Baby

Rivera is the only TE with some serious, serious upside.

Definitey a lock.

Ausberry has potential as well, but he is like 3-4 years older than him, and never did anything in college.

Ausberry has ZERO college or pro experience, being a bad azz. He has always been a fringe player.

Rivera kicked tail in the SEC, and has the ol’ “Swagger” everyone loves these days.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Here we go!…Here we go!…Here we go!….

• rediaR

I think both Ford and Criner could easily be cut if guys like Jenkins, Holmes and Vernon step up. Or rather Holmes and Jenkins keep doing better than Criner and Ford,and Vernon actually does something in the game tonight.

ROG’s guy Seyi Ajirotutu might be returning to SD a 3rd time. dang

• ENGLANDRAIDER

“Raiders know Saints matchup won’t be a Brees”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jerry, you need a vacation.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Rivera is the only TE with some serious, serious upside.

Definitey a lock.

========================================

But Rivera has not stood out in either the lst game or practice. But hey, it IS just the first game and practice….

• Just Fire Baby

I think this is Pryor’s first pro game on turf.

Should be interesting.

Got to get down on the turf, you get pounded into that stuff, a little different than the nice wet sod in rainy San Diego.

• Just Fire Baby

Jerry also seemed to think Cribbs is a complete lock for his ST stuff.

Agreed there, he will probably be selected a captain of special teams.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Marks hair Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I have yet to be impressed with criner.. but id still cut Ford first.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And you’d do that because we have so many great receivers?

• rediaR

I feel like Kasa is on a one way trip to the practice squad.

• rediaR

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:26 pm
    Marks hair Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I have yet to be impressed with criner.. but id still cut Ford first.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And you’d do that because we have so many great receivers?
    ———————
    We don’t, but we have more than 6 that are better and more reliable players than Ford.

• rediaR

You don’t have to run faster than the Tiger, just faster than Jacoby Ford on crutches.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I think this is Pryor’s first pro game on turf.

Should be interesting.
    ========================================

It is. But of course the Superdome “turf” is notorious for being absolutely horrible. It’s like they went into the Bayou after Katrina and sewed together whatever carpet remnants they could find swilling around. And then they did a terrible job even at that.

• Whoknows

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:25 pm
    I think this is Pryor’s first pro game on turf.

Should be interesting.

***************************
    Two things:
    1) it is probably easier to move around on dry turf than it is on wet sod.
    2) Ohio State has turf.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

rediaR Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I feel like Kasa is on a one way trip to the practice squad.
    ===========================================

Richard Gordon might be the guy more on the bubble. Gordon has been playing with the ones and has done little if anything. And he has done little if anything for three years. Kasa can block, is bigger and faster than Gordon and is just learning the position after being on the defensive side at Colorado. He will garner a bit more of a look.

• rediaR

Rivera is a lock. He’s Reece insurance for next year.

Ausberry would be a sad cut because literally every time we see him with the ball in his hands something cool happens.

Gordon and the guys we assumed were camp fodder are just blockers, but DA and RM seem to like their blockers.

Personally I’d rather keep the potential playmakers and one blocker. Practice squad Kasa and call him up if needed.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Seymour Bush Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:17 pm
    guest123 Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I asked about the backup plan to Barron.

First thing Jerry listed was scour the wire, or move Barnes over.

Interesting that Jerry hates preseason football and is willing to sleep thru it except for his attention to the LT spot.

I think we may be in more trouble than we realize.
    ============================================

We had arguably a Pro Bowler playing LT. Now it’s going to be one of us from the blog out there. That is not going to be good.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sure Veldheer is good Oakglen, but it doesn’t really matter at this point.
    This is a pre-season game and we’re rebuilding plus we weren’t going anywhere this anyway.

They should let Veldheer take his time. We’ll need him next year and he could easily make the tear worse.

Interesting how these guys go for the weights, build themselves up, and then just rip something.

Makes me think that I’m on the right path with my exercise schedule: beer, followed by pizza, followed by beer.

• mcthompso

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:15 pm
    Man Logan Thomas looked awful sometimes last year.

Again, I didn’t watch every snap since he was 9 years old like Mistic always claims, so maybe I should parse my words a little here.

What round would you think he goes in?

Seems like a late rounder to me
    ——–

As of right now, I think you’re right, and that is b/c of his 2011 season and his measurables. He was atrocious last year. Granted Bryan Stinespring was the Gregg Knapp of College Football, and he got demoted to like TE coach or something–but Thomas had a knack for overthrowing receivers, and it seemed like he thought all he had to do was show up b/c of how he played in 2011.

But with the new OC, he could have a big year and shoot up draft boards into the 2nd round or so, maybe even first. He is big, athletic, and has a strong arm. If he puts it together, like he did in ’11, he could go 3rd or better…if he improves beyond that, it could be earlier. A season like last year? You’re right-late.

• Marks hair

168. I’d cut ford because he’s fragile and unproductive.. as long as we’re carrying him we’re not developing someone that could actually be there every week.. the kids not going to get any tougher

• inonewordraider

saw a lot of turf injuries last week attributable to playing on turf, we don’t need any more injuries

• Just Fire Baby

Pro game, Who KNows, pro game.

• rediaR

Is Ford going to play tonight?

• Relentless

I’m pretty sure Ford isn’t playing as he hasn’t practiced all week.

• rediaR

I don’t even keep track of whether Ford is practicing. I just assume he isn’t. I was asking on the off chance he was.

• mcthompso

Sorry bout the CFB talk-I just kinda responded to one post-and then got kinda excited for Hokies for a minute…

Brees will torch us tonight if he has the time to throw that Romo did. Would like to see Carter get some pressure. Also, if Jack Crawford will be playing inside on 3rd downs, then I’d like to see some kinda rush out of him. If he can’t do that, then he seems too marginal for a place on the 53 in the future. I guess we’ll get to see a lot of how our DB’s hold up with it being preseason, and the lack of blitzing and all.

• Relentless

Ford has just been a huge disappointment since his breakout year. Its time to move on from him.

• Whoknows

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:38 pm
    Pro game, Who KNows, pro game.
    *********************
    Still easier to move around on dry turf than wet sod, pro, college, high school or pee-wee.

• Just Fire Baby

Is Ford going to play tonight?

******************************

I will let you take a wild guess

• Whoknows

Speaking of pee-wee, little league pitchers duel going on right now.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

“Being a baseball guy, you can see the 2nd baseman in his footwork. Very, very fast, choppy steps get him to short spots quicker than anyone.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That’s a really astute comment about Wilson, Vegas.

Don’t agree with you about Wilson though.
    He may do nothing for the Raiders for a couple of years but the guy’s got talent and is as tough as they come which will come in handy with the Raider OL.

• DJ Johnny

Jerry doesn’t like preseason he says. I love it. There’s a ton of stuff to look for in every game.

It’s fun to see the scrubs fighting for their lives (jobs) and there’s a ton at stake in each game. Not the score…but how things go down.

As far as the score goes, I like watching the scrubs try to win the games in the 4th, and they ARE trying.

Plus…a biggie for me is the pro season is so short anyway…6 months so I enjoy pretty much all the games.

• rediaR

Ford is going to need to be healthy and have a monster game against the bears. Otherwise he’ll be on the Pats for 2 weeks before never seeing another NFL roster.

• rediaR

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:46 pm

—————————
    I agree. And lets be honest, as Raider fans lately, the preseason is the best season.

• JLofty

They have pizza in England? Isn’t that heretical according to the COE?

• Just Fire Baby

I prefer draft “season”

• DJ Johnny

Relentless Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I agree. Let him ride some other team’s stationary bike on the sideline.

Ford = injured…ALL THE TIME!

Take your always injured azz somewhere else.

• rediaR

JLofty Says:
    August 16th, 2013 at 1:49 pm
    They have pizza in England? Isn’t that heretical according to the COE?
    ——————-
    They use sheep’s blood instead of marinara.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

When Ford has played the little guy has been dynamic.
    Really like the guy.

He needs to show that he’s not related to Chaz this year though.
    Enough with the watching from the sideline crap.
    I’m willing to do that for far less money.

• Just Fire Baby

*****************************

England,

I just don’t see it with Tyler. Arm talent and leadersip, that is what I am all about with “my” type of QB’s.

Think he is lacking severely in both, but he does seem to have some riverboat gambler in him which could make him a quality backup.

• JLofty

Co-sign DJ. Dont care about the score or even who wins. Just the process…

• DJ Johnny

It is so wrong for me to get mad at guys who are always injured…but I can’t help it.