Hayden eager to make Raiders debut; other practice notes

By Steve Corkran
Sunday, August 18th, 2013 at 3:29 pm in Oakland Raiders.

NAPA – Cornerback D.J. Hayden is a tad concerned about how he’s going to look when he makes his Raiders debut against the Chicago Bears.

That’s understandable, given Hayden hasn’t played in a game since he suffered a torn artery and almost died last November.

Yet, that’s not what Hayden is worried about. It’s the extra “flap” Raiders trainers and doctors are making him wear that has him a bit self-conscious in advance of Friday’s game at the Coliseum.

“It just makes me look fat a little bit … ,” Hayden said Sunday after completing his first practice in which he was permitted contact in more than nine months. “I want to look good out there. I can’t be looking chubby. It makes me look like I got like a little beer belly or something.”

Hayden can laugh about such things now. There was nothing but long faces when Hayden tore the inferior vena cava during a collision with a teammate at practice last November.

He underwent surgery to repair the kind of damage from an injury that proves fatal in 95 percent of the time, according to Walter Lowe, the University of Houston team physician.

The artery carries blood from the lower half of the body back to the heart.

In late May, Hayden underwent a second surgery, this time to remove scar tissue in his abdominal region.

Naturally, the Raiders were fearful of rushing Hayden into action too soon, even though Hayden declared himself ready to go weeks ago.

Hayden spent the first three weeks or so of training camp wearing a red, non-contact jersey as a precautionary measure. Team trainers and doctors finally cleared Hayden for contact Friday..

Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Hayden has some catching up to do, especially since Hayden missed some practice time with a hamstring injury and the team’s first two exhibition games.

To that end, Allen said he intends to take a look at Hayden, the Raiders first-round pick in the draft, against the Chicago Bears first-team offense, at least part of the time.

“It’s going to be good to get him in some game action this week, “ Allen said. “Physically, he looks just fine.”

Hayden said he’s fine with being thrown into the fire. He’s more concerned about not taking the experience for granted.

“I want the game to hurry up and come,” Hayden said, “but I want to enjoy that moment, playing in the game.”

Hayden’s mother intends to be at the game. Her son has some advice to deal with the nerves of seeing him play.

“You’ll be alright,” Hayden said he plans on telling her beforehand.

Fifteen years ago, defensive back Charles Woodson made his Raiders debut after being selected in the first round. Now, he’s the one eager to see what the new guy is capable of doing.

“I’m probably just like the coaches and the GM, you want to see him in a real game situation,” Woodson said. “I’m waiting for that.”

– Sunday marked the final practice of the season open to the media. From here on, media are permitted no more than 30 minutes’ access.

– Matt McGloin and Tyler Wilson didn’t receive any reps during practice. Presumptive starter Matt Flynn and backup Terrelle Pryor split the reps all day.

Allen said that’s by design because “we’re getting into regular-season mode.”

Also, the Raiders are preparing for their third exhibition game, when the starters tend to get their most extensive action.

– Flynn can’t blame the offensive line for his struggles at practice Sunday, as he could have for his uneven performance against the Saints.

During one three-play stretch, Flynn was intercepted by cornerback Mike Jenkins and linebacker Kaelin Burnett and then fumbled the snap. A short time later, Jenkins intercepted Flynn again.

On the bright side, Flynn ended practice with a well-thrown pass to wide receiver Rod Streater for a touchdown.

– Seventeen players missed all of practice today. Three others were limited, including running back Darren McFadden (shoulder). Allen said he doesn’t view McFadden’s injury as being serious.

– Tony Bergstrom and Lucas Nix played guard with the first-team offense Sunday. Incumbent starter Mike Brisiel remains unable to practice. Andre Gurode started at right guard against the Saints, but he worked with the second-team Sunday.

It’s all part of Allen’s plan to mix and match players for as long as he can in camp and exhibition games before he settles upon a starting five. Alex Barron was at left offensive tackle, just as he was against the Saints.

• Plunketthead

Dak I know better to argue much here. You win
    Slap a woman once and you are a wifebeater for life

Euro/liberal logic
    May you wear it well

Like you when you said we’d be fine without Veldheer?

***

@Banana

it’s only been one (preseason) game

#chillax

• Dakota

1102.Plunketthead Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:27 am
    Dak I know better to argue much here. You win
    Slap a woman once and you are a wifebeater for life

Euro/liberal logic
    May you wear it well

++++++++++++

hey now, that is a low blow…..You know how to push my buttons!

Euro! I’d rather be a wife-beating libtard!

• Dakota

1099.The_Judge37 Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:26 am
    Dakota Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:23 am
    1092.Plunketthead Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:20 am
    Who did he beat?

+++++++

So now you want to argue severity? So it is okay to strike your wife just a little bit?
    ——-

So i guess you don’t mind when dinner is served cold?

++++++++++++++++

I never said I had a problem with stun guns….

• R8ER MIKE

Plunketthead Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:17 am
    Isnt this the convo that someone admitted they had slapped a woman and they got trolled for it everytime they showed up?

**************************
    ?? do you know what you say to a woman with two black eyes ???

NOTHING… the b1tch been told twice !!

• 2romes

I do know it is true!! Charles woodson was considered all washed up here in Oakland and on another team a pro-bowler. There Many examples of this Kevin Booth, De Angelo Hall, to name a few.

I don’t know about all that. I’d say the only postive we’ve enjoyed the last 10 years is spreading our lack of talent throught the NFL.

• Raiders for life

Sounds like we got a few players back

• Plunketthead

I would bet many here have hit a woman before

especially with all the racists :shock:
    trolls, goobers filled with hatespirit

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS
  • 2romes

2romes Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:31 am
    ——————————————————-
    The_Judge37 Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:17 am I don’t know about all that. I’d say the only postive we’ve enjoyed the last 10 years is spreading our lack of talent throught the NFL

• The_Judge37

Plunketthead Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:32 am
    I would bet many here have hit a woman before
    ——-

I’ve never hit a women, but i’ve smacked the $h!t out of a b!tch

*************************
    ?? are you Chief Callas hand from the slap-a-ho-kick-a-b1tch tribe ??

• The_Judge37

2romes Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:31 am
    ——

Woodson, Booth and Clemons were good. But Hall is still trash, i don’t care how many int’s Jay Cutler throws his way.

But considering how many guys we’ve put out there, it’s a small percentage. If anything i’d like to think we’ve contributed to the decline of the Patriots with Andrew Walter, Trevor Scott, Tommy Kelly, Sterling Moore, Derrick Burgess, etc…

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

The_Judge37 Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hue, Good play caller, terrible head coach.
    =========================================

If Jackson was such a good play caller why did we go almost half the season without scoring second half points? Why has no one picked him up to play call? Why did we drop the last third of the season?

• SaintKaufman

Ford and Walker practicing

• The_Judge37

R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:35 am
    The_Judge37 Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:34 am
    Plunketthead Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:32 am
    I would bet many here have hit a woman before
    ——-

I’ve never hit a women, but i’ve smacked the $h!t out of a b!tch

*************************
    ?? are you Chief Callas hand from the slap-a-ho-kick-a-b1tch tribe ??
    ——

LOL, No on the Reservations they call me Chief Splitting Tens

• The_Judge37

Seymour Bush Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:36 am
    The_Judge37 Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hue, Good play caller, terrible head coach.
    =========================================

—–

Because of your mom

Why your team doesn’t suck: Maybe Pryor will unseat Flynn and become the darling of the NFL, just like Russell Wilson did. Although that’s unlikely, because you only win the CHARACTER GUYS. (I love how dumb that expression is—“He’s a real character guy. NOT A GLORY BOY.”)

***

@Duck

Pryor is a “character guy” you racist judgemental sack of crap

Scott Bair‏@BairCSN 14m
    Mike Brisiel is back too

• SaintKaufman

Afghanistan can be rebuilt quicker than this flaming shatwreck.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL!!!!
    ugh

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RRS: What are you talking about? I didn’t write the article.

Sims, Watson, Criner. Clayton and Kevin Burnett working with trainers.

• inonewordraider

I know you don’t believe or like to hear this rrs

but with cribbs potentially having lost the burst (coming off injury so maybe he get’s it back)

ford is an excellent kick returner, could make a huge difference

let’s see what walker has, can’t be worse than bilukidi or carter on the inside…

• REALLIONAIREB

Idk y all the hate on Hue???

I kno he’s long gone but do you guys remember wut our offense looked like before Hue brought us back to some respectability I mean come on!!!

@Duck

I know, just joking

I just wanted to know what it felt like to go all “Mistic” on somebody :P

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

@RRS: If you’d made your sentence three times long and ended it with “…period”, you could have passed as Priest.

Vic Tafur‏@VicTafur 8m
    Hayden flies through tackling dummy … my guess is that’s all the contact we’re going to see before media window closes in 10 minutes

• The_Judge37

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:40 am
    Scott Bair‏@BairCSN 14m
    Mike Brisiel is back too
    —-

NOOOOO

Levi Damien‏@LeviDamien 18m
    After sitting out most of practice yesterday, Chimdi Chekwa is practicing. #Raiders

• The_Judge37

REALLIONAIREB Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:43 am
    Idk y all the hate on Hue???

—–

Before and After Hue.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

The_Judge37 Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:38 am
    Seymour Bush Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:36 am
    The_Judge37 Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:08 am

Hue, Good play caller, terrible head coach.
    =========================================

—–

Because of your mom
    ============================================

Good answer. I always love you guys when you love the POS that got us in this mess and hate the ones that can get us out.

• REALLIONAIREB

Lol

Levi Damien‏@LeviDamien 3m
    Just like each week, #Raiders have a few players back to begin the week with the intention they will play Friday

***

by this I assume Ford, Walker, Brisiel & Chekwa will play vs Chicago Bears on Friday

• REALLIONAIREB

The_Judge37 Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:46 am
    REALLIONAIREB Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:43 am
    Idk y all the hate on Hue???

—–

Before and After Hue.
    ————————————–

Judge I was thinking that but I don’t want to relive those days again bro….

We put the IC in pathetic!!!

Phil Barber‏@Skinny_Post 2h
    #49ers ship AJ Jenkins to the #Chiefs. Alex Smith can only shake his head and ask, “Why me, Lord?”

Retweeted by Chris McClain

lol

• inonewordraider

everything is for schit if we can’t get competent lt play

but if we do, I still hold hope that we shock the world and compete for a playoff spot

everything would have to go our way sure, but passing game will be a fine which was a huge concern, if dt’s heal up we’ll be fine against the run, and bass/robinson/moore give me hope rushing the passer

lt, is that important I believe

• 2romes

Taking a decline would be making the overall team worst than it was with the Raider players. The patriots have been just as competitive with these players.

The_Judge37 Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:38 am But considering how many guys we’ve put out there, it’s a small percentage. If anything i’d like to think we’ve contributed to the decline of the Patriots with Andrew Walter, Trevor Scott, Tommy Kelly, Sterling Moore, Derrick Burgess, etc

• REALLIONAIREB

Sad

• inonewordraider

let’s hope walker makes it thru practice, branch not practicing, what happened?

• the famous dr robert

I bet ford doesn’t make it thru practice.

• The_Judge37

No more Veteran days off for Mike Brisel?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Levi Damien‏@LeviDamien1m
    Lucas Nix still working as first team right guard even with Brisiel back #Raiders
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We are probably going with Barron, Bergstom, Wiz, Nix, Barnes.

Barnes has actually improved a little from last year.

• inonewordraider

We are probably going with Barron, Bergstom, Wiz, Nix, Barnes.

Barnes has actually improved a little from last year.

___
    for now yes, reggie needs to start going hue and just working out every possible LT candidate

Levi Damien‏@LeviDamien 1m

No more Veteran days off for Mike Brisel?

***

I wish we could trade him to Dallas or some other zbs team, but the contract Reggie gave him makes that virtually impossible!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 19th, 2013 at 11:54 am
    I bet ford doesn’t make it thru practice.
    =======================================

Yeah, he’ll pull a hammy opening up a bottle of gatorade.

• The_Judge37

Barnes has actually improved a little from last year.
    ——–

Well he’s no longer the worst tackle on the team that’s for sure.

• inonewordraider

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 2m
    Looks like day off for Branch. No sign of RB Murray, even with trainer on side

• inonewordraider

murray must’ve done some off the field stuff, dang looked good gm 1

• Myopinion

Good to hear nix still starting.
    I really like bergs,wiz,nix
    watson,and sims with trainer, does that mean theyre close?