Raiders DC Jason Tarver breaks it down

Highlights from defensive coordinator Jason Tarver’ media session Tuesday:

On dealing with communication issues with so many starters out: On the back end, there’s more communication from linebackers to the (defensive backs) then there is to D-line. But what you want to establish is you want with the D-line, and we did some extra drills today and we’ll continue to do, is your fits, especially in the run game. You want to know when a guy gets singled how he’s going to fit that so you can fit off of him. So we do want to get Nick and Kevin and our starting linebackers behind our starting interior tackles

On Pat Sims getting up to speed with a limited amount of time left: Pat is a smart football player. I don’t think mentally he’s too far away from knowing his assignments. It’s more of a just getting reps . . . It’s about practice time. I’m not in control of all that other stuff. I’ll play him as many reps as I can based on the plan built by our trainers, our coach and our general manager.

How much Charles Woodson has left as a player: His burst surprises me every day. He’s an amazing athlete. He’s got a great feel for when the quarterback is going to release the ball and that’s still there. He’s practice all the way through camp and is still explosive out of his stance.

On how far Sio Moore has come: Sio was better in the second game than he was in the first game: Sio’s great thing is his position flexibility. Linebackers now need to be able to rush, drop, move, shed blocks, set edges, because of the spread offenses and faster offenses. The more you can do, the better it is. Sio has show those things in camp, in college and through the first two preseason game.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• eastoaklandraider

If Pete Carrol was are coach who would he choose to start? My money would be on Pryor.

• the famous dr robert

RaiderO–Luck rode “Chuck Strong” and was overhyped.

He also was the exception.

And he also has a dynamite arm and has shown such.

He was the top pick.

Not a supplemental 3rd rounder no one else would have taken until the 7th.

U can root for the low percentage pick to pay off. That’s ur prerogative.

I choose to go with the high percentage play.

• eastoaklandraider

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:14 am
    Exactly.
    Lets not forget that he has 37 attempts. 37!! Small sample size.

@@@@@@@

I’m not down on Pryors low QBR. Never mentioned it. Never my point. My point is that Flynn has a 90+ and if he maintains that throughout the year then it will almost certainly translate into wins. That’s all that I said. If you can’t agree w that? I couldn’t care less.
    ——-

C’mon its pre season you REALLY think his QBR will stay over 90? You really believe that, really?

• the famous dr robert

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:15 am
    ********
    Lol. No way. He chose Wilson due to his excellent passing, complimented by mobility, not the other way around.

He didn’t choose him based on color or athleticism.

He chose him as a superior passer.

I would choose Wilson over Flynn too.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:14 am
    Exactly.
    Lets not forget that he has 37 attempts. 37!! Small sample size.

@@@@@@@

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I guess you didn’t understand the importance / concept of the sample size. Flynn has a larger sample size than TP, but not large enough to say his QB rating is 90+ and make assumptions based on that.
    Like I said before, you are not that bright Mr. “I have a 135 IQ”.
    Btw, do you know how to use a calculator? If you are that bad at math, use a calculator.

Andy Luck is an excellent QB.

you guys are fools to clown him

• the famous dr robert

East–flynn’s last two starts were over 100.

He has a 92 career.

He has been well over 90 in both preseason games.

He has shown EVERY reason to believe he will be over 90.

Why? He KEEPS doing it.

• DJ Johnny

Flynn starts. He’s our qb. Pryor will get his shot sometime.

• eastoaklandraider

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:15 am
    RaiderO–Luck rode “Chuck Strong” and was overhyped.

He also was the exception.

And he also has a dynamite arm and has shown such.

He was the top pick.

Not a supplemental 3rd rounder no one else would have taken until the 7th.

U can root for the low percentage pick to pay off. That’s ur prerogative.

I choose to go with the high percentage play.
    ———-

Flynn is a 7th rounder with 2 starts. High percentage?

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Flynn has looked better, really, honestly. Heck, Pryor looked good in the Dallas game, we were all excited, then the NO game was a bummer. Flynn has looked consistent, he is ahead of Pryor in everything except QB scrambling. C’mon man.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:17 am
    0ak R8rs Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:14 am
    Exactly.
    Lets not forget that he has 37 attempts. 37!! Small sample size.

@@@@@@@

——-

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I think so.
    Lol

Like I said before, you are not that bright Mr. “I have a 135 IQ”.

***

thats how we do it in Podunk

we have accountants that don’t know simple multiplication & division

fractions? equations? graphs?

fuggettaboutit!!

• the famous dr robert

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:19 am
    Andy Luck is an excellent QB.

you guys are fools to clown him
    *********
    No he isn’t. Not yet.

He could be. Likely will be. But he hasn’t been “excellent” in the nfl.

Flashes sure. But hype doesn’t equal reality.

Perfect example of hype not being reality.

• eastoaklandraider

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:18 am
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:15 am
    ********

He didn’t choose him based on color or athleticism.

He chose him as a superior passer.

I would choose Wilson over Flynn too.
    ————

Wilson didnt start playing well till about week 8, Pete saw his POTENTIAL.

• the famous dr robert

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:20 am

Flynn is a 7th rounder with 2 starts. High percentage?
    ********
    MUCH higher than Pryor.

Not 100% but he came into the league as a long shot and has changed that.

His predictors are trending high.

Raider O is a smart guy. he knows how to steal US jobs, cars and women. he’s a hairy ape with the smooth talking skills of Hue Jackson. I honestly think he could lure Mel B into the sack

• shutdown

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 9:20 am
    “Why must you build “slowly”? WTH does that mean?”
    _______________________________________________

It means we had nothing last year–no secondary, no linebacking corp, no run stuffing on the D line, only two guys who could push and protect on the O line, no receivers who could consistently run the crisp patterns so that the QB could lead him because he knew where he’d be, no receivers who could be counted on the hold onto very catchable balls, no running back who could run w/in the ZBS, crappy special teams save the field goal kicker.

And all of this wasn’t because of talent that just didn’t perform up to par one year…it was because we didn’t have TALENT.

YOu don’t build a team that lacking in talent with one draft, esp. when you don’t have money for free agents nor any decent free agents who actually want to come here.

Thus, a build of 3-4 years can be considered a “slow” build.

Other teams that looked crappy in the W-L column had talent at certain positions with no one around them–we had nada.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:19 am
    Andy Luck is an excellent QB.

you guys are fools to clown him
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Man, Julius Peppers this weekend vs “next man up”. Chip Peppers on every play.

I’m expecting the D to show improvement although they should get clowned by Cutler, Forte, & Marshall.

Tarver is beginning to suck. Pressure the QB!

• the famous dr robert

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:23 am

Wilson didnt start playing well till about week 8, Pete saw his POTENTIAL.
    ********
    Not true. Wilson killed it in preseason.

Struggled out of the gate in reg season but corrected it.

• RaiderSam

God forbid Pryor lights it up v. Chicago….will be hilarious to see people backtracking.

• DJ Johnny

Who has the worst “freak face” in the NFL today?

-Mark Davis
    -Andy Dalton

?

Luck is already one of the best QB’s in the NFL

again – talking him down does nothing for your blog cred

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:23 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$
    Lmao
    Steal? I’m an American too.

• DJ Johnny

RaiderSam Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:25 am

It would be fun on the blog but it won’t change anything as far as who starts the season at QB.

They are set on Flynn no matter what.

Flynn could throw 6 int’s in the 1st half and Pryor bring us back from a 35-0 deficit but it wouldn’t change anything in DA’s eyes.

• RaiderSam

Top to bottom remake of raiders

Raiders.
    QB – keep Terrelle Pryor. Begin either looking at Michael Vick in free agency, then take a LONG look at Teddy Bridgewater with the top 5 pick or Jadevon Clowney as a pass rusher (stick with Vick as a bridge to Pryor. – keep UCLA’s Brett Hundley in mind if his numbers and combine work stand out.

RB – let McFadden walk – he’s likely to be traded if the season goes south (after new Orleans game, were getting that feeling).
    FA – Ben Tate, Rashard Mendenhall (or both, as Marcel Reece is definitely gone in FA next year – Ka’Deem Carey of Arizona is a multi-purpose threat as is Oregon’s DeAnthony Thomas.

WR – ugh. The miss of Calvin Johnson in draft for Russell haunts us. Kenny Britt is set for a nice pay day and he has enough baggage that could make buyers worry. Jeremy Maclin is another intriguing pick. – first round pick Marquise Lee (So.Cal) would be another.

TE – three headed monster of Mychal Rivera, Ausberry and Gordon again. – too many other holes. Maybe Ed Dickson?

OL – big decision to resign Veldheer – and so-so Eugene Monroe, Branden Albert avail. Denver would never part with Clady to a AFC West rival. I’d add Kevin Boothe and keep a resurrected Andre Gurode could help the blocking. Considerable talent drop off in this FA class.

DL – Jadevon Clowney – they looked awful v. Saints, and their looking at the no. 1 pick as Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo all have improved and the talent level was weak. I’d be worried with signability, so a trade down might be in order. Other Fas to include; Greg Hardy, re-signing Lamarr Houston (or letting him walk, because he isn’t a sack guy and they need that desperately)
    B.J. Raji might work as he was with Green Bay. Randy Starks should’ve been signed this year as Sporano coached him at Miami, and Sparano would replace Allen if Gruden balks. At returning as head coach. As for the draft; Luis Nix III or Arizona St. Will Sutton could factor in. another guy to look closely at is Dominique Easley of Florida.

LB – Kyle Van Noy, BYU in draft. He could fit as a rush end in a 3-4 switch
    I’d include CJ Mosely of Bama – if Raiders have an extra pick
    Sean Lee and Brian Cushing would be two seasoned vets to add to a struggling defense (and Raiders have a lot of one-year deal lbs) – keep Omar Gaither, though.

CB – DJ Hayden ..BUST? Lets just pass on this for now. C-Wood will likely be gone and lighting the torch in 2014, so lets take Michael Adams and Jenkins at the corners with nickel Joselio Hanson and get a developing guy
    Brandon Browner would be a nice pick up

S – it appears Tyvon Branch is a big pay s, but not really the impact guy – Jarius Byrd is, but I don’t think a safety sees a big payday here…look for TJ Ward in FA or Chris Clemons (from Miami) – take a long look at Chance Casey in pre-season, he may be a keeper. S Ha’Sean Clinton-Dix of bama might be a good in-the-box type

Final analysis; not time to panic, plenty of free agents and cap space to re-make this team.
    Jadevon Clowney, Marquise Lee, Kyle Van Noy, CJ Mosely, Teddy Bridgewater, Christian Jones (Florida St.)
    free agency – Randy Starks, BJ Raji, Kevin Boothe, Michael Vick, Brandon Browner, Chris Clemons

Coaching; McKenzie stays (ugh) – Sporano on the cheap – David Shaw (with a considerable pay raise), Jack delRio (which would duplicate another defensive guy coming)

don’t worry – it gets better…a number of one year deals are on this – but they cant miss on this draft, and they’ll move on from Dennis Allen if there’s another double-digit loss season – look for Gruden, Sporano, Stanford’s David Shaw or yes, Denver’s Jack Del Rio (returning to the bay area) as the 18th head coach of the Oakland Raiders

add any players I might’ve missed in the draft/and or free agency

• bcz24

Hey I’m logged in again… wonder how long it last’s this time.

• eastoaklandraider

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:19 am
    East–flynn’s last two starts were over 100.

He has a 92 career.

He has been well over 90 in both preseason games.

He has shown EVERY reason to believe he will be over 90.

Why? He KEEPS doing it.
    ———–

He wont do it in the regular season behind that line.

• DJ Johnny

BTW you guys keep bringing up “QBR”. “QBR” is a stat manufactured for and by ESPN and it is flawed imo.

A QB gets less credit for his defense giving up big points…something he has no control over.

It gives more credit for plays made when the game is closer and less for a QB trying to get his team back from a big deficit that he had nothing to do with creating.

There’s other things, but it is an ESPN manufactured stat.

• the famous dr robert

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:26 am
    Luck is already one of the best QB’s in the NFL

again – talking him down does nothing for your blog cred
    ********
    That’s ur opinion and its backed by hype only.

Numbers say ur wrong.

He’s in the bottom third.

He will get better. Probably.

But u have no evidence of that at all.

Just hype and “playoffs”.

• the famous dr robert

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:31 am
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:19 am
    East–flynn’s last two starts were over 100.

He has a 92 career.

He has been well over 90 in both preseason games.

He has shown EVERY reason to believe he will be over 90.

Why? He KEEPS doing it.
    ———–

He wont do it in the regular season behind that line.
    *********
    He keeps doing it in preseason behind that line.

I gotta go.

Later Raiders.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Luck is already one of the best QB’s in the NFL

again – talking him down does nothing for your blog cred”

You said a lot there man!

• Kirk

Dr. Robert is not taking into account the fact that when passing plays breaks down, Pryor often runs for a touchdown.

And touchdowns are all that matters.

Against Detroit….threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third.
    Against San Diego…..threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third.
    Against Dallas…ran for a touchdown, could of run for one more.
    Against New Orleans….ran for a touchdown on only two series.

• theghostronin79

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:11 am
    Ronin—hey it’s ur money. And it’s more exciting “letting it roll!” And hitting.

But there are lots of losers yelling loud one minute in the casino and walking out dejected the next.

Smart, steady, composed. Those are the guys who win. Consistently.

Not as instantly exciting but they’re the ones buying homes off other people’s money.

================

I’m either extremely lucky, or my intuition is strong….It’s a combo of both.

Here at work, I’ve won our Football Pools more than anyone else, and I just shrug my shoulders…

I do enjoy the excitement. With the Raiders though, it ain’t my money, and nothing I think, feel, or say will have any effect on what happens on Sunday. I don’t constantly spit in the face of stats either. Everything is situational, and everything is a matchup.

I tell you I’d be singing a different tune if Flynn looked like his “stats” last week.

It’s obvious that he’s going to start, and on paper he looks to be the better suited for it. I hope he shows something against Chicago. I wouldn’t lay my chips down on him today.

• RaiderSam

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:33 am
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:31 am
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:19 am
    East–flynn’s last two starts were over 100.

He has a 92 career.

He has been well over 90 in both preseason games.

He has shown EVERY reason to believe he will be over 90.

Why? He KEEPS doing it.
    ———–

He wont do it in the regular season behind that line.
    *********
    He keeps doing it in preseason behind that line.

I gotta go.

Later Raiders.

———-
    Flynn numbers may have been inflated as Ryan turned down the pressure…its going to be a long season, unless Hills is the second coming of 2002 Barry Sims.

• the famous dr robert

Look at the lost of playoff qbs and their ratings.

It’s indisputable.

Everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

See u guys later.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Saints released LT Jason Smith.
    The Saints brought in Smith to push Charles Brown for the starting job on Drew Brees’ blindside. It never happened. Third-round rookie Terron Armstead will serve as Brown’s backup, as Smith heads back to the street. The No. 2 overall pick of the Rams in the 2009 draft has now been cut by two teams in the last six months. Smith is one of the biggest busts in the history of the league.
    ————————-
    Let’s sign him and add him to our list of 1st round busts.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Ryan turned down the pressure? Look at the game. Flynn was sacked during that final drive too. Oh well. I guess Flynn just sucks and numbers dont matter, QB rating is a damned lie, and he cant throw it over 25 yards, and its the other team’s DC that conducted the drive, etc…

Flynn is good, really, he is better than the other Offensive starters save Reece.

• logic82

“Olson’s comments on Denarius are sad.”

I noticed that too. His comments of immaturity may or may not be true, but what you don’t do is broadcast it in public and to add insult to injury you play one player off the other. Streater should have never been mentioned in that context. Why unnecessarily antagonize your players. Is this supposed to be a motivational ploy? What if it backfires and he goes into a funk?

Well I know many will say bench him/ cut him if he does. But these coaches better soon realize getting cut from the Raiders is not a detriment. Just about everybody we cut gets picked up if not immediately fairly quickly. Some may be looking to actually get cut/traded (DMAC?). This is what bothers me so much about this coaching staff. There just seems to be a lack of basic football SOP and sober coaching IQ.

• the famous dr robert

Proof means nothing.

Love is blind.

U guys want what u want.

I’m glad I’m in “lockstep” with the org and not the “crazies”.

Final encore. Peace out.

• Kirk

I think Tony Hills may help us.

• bcz24

Against New Orleans….ran for a touchdown on only two series.
    ***************
    No he didn’t. Our 2 TDs against NO were from Flynn to DMo17 in the 2 minute drill, and from our second team defense picking up a fumble in the end zone. I don’t even think the legend managed to net more than 20 yards of offense in his limited action Friday.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

logic82 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:42 am
    “Olson’s comments on Denarius are sad.”

——————–
    Olsen should not have thrown Moore under the bus publically. Even if it a “motivational” move it could easily go the other way and blow up in the coaches face.

• eastoaklandraider

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:33 am
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:31 am
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:19 am
    East–flynn’s last two starts were over 100.

He has a 92 career.

He has been well over 90 in both preseason games.

He has shown EVERY reason to believe he will be over 90.

Why? He KEEPS doing it.
    ———–

He wont do it in the regular season behind that line.
    *********
    He keeps doing it in preseason behind that line.
    ———

Small sample size once again, but you will see soon enough.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:46 am
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:33 am
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:31 am
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:19 am
    East–flynn’s last two starts were over 100.

He has a 92 career.

He has been well over 90 in both preseason games.

He has shown EVERY reason to believe he will be over 90.

Why? He KEEPS doing it.
    ———–

He wont do it in the regular season behind that line.
    *********
    He keeps doing it in preseason behind that line.
    ———

Small sample size once again, but you will see soon enough.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Exactly. He didnt even play a full preseason game. How many quarters did he pay in preseason? 3?

• eastoaklandraider

——

I like the move, just like I liked when Hue threw Chuck B under the bus.

• the famous dr robert

@CorkOnTheNFL: Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor now is wearing No. 2. No, I am not kidding,

**********
    From Toilet Paper 6-Pack

To Toilet Paper #2?

Lol. Sorry. Too easy.

• bcz24

*******************
    Totally disagree with this. 1. He didn’t play the 2 receivers off each other. He was asked 2 separate questions during the media window and answered them.
    2. Sometimes these guys need to be called out in public to get it through their head. If DMo17 quits on the team because of it, so be it… we don’t want that type of guy here anyways.

You act as though players are never called out in public. It happens everyday. They either man up and fix the issue, or the are whiney pu$$ies and find new teams.

• 24

It’s funny to see how people fall in love with LB Chase Thomas. People are saying, “Why did the Saints give up on him so fast?”. “Why didn’t they continue to develop him?”.

I could say the same thing about Matt Flynn. Thomas is an undrafted FA linebacker who hasn’t started any games. Flynn has actually started 2 games and proven he can play well in those games. Why not be patient and let him continue to develop with this team? Why are people giving up on him so fast?

It just amazes me how people think! Give this guy a chance but don’t give this guy a chance.

Yes…they are 2 different positions and I understand that but hopefully you can see the point I’m trying to make here.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Nice!!!!
    I can use my Jabustus jersey.