Raiders OC Olson breaks it down

Some highlights of a media session with Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Olson:

On the loss of tackle Jared Veldheer: Going into the season, the power scheme, the gap scheme, Jared was an important part of that. We didn’t get a real chance last week to evaluate that part of the game as much as we would like to. We’ll continue these last two preseason games and more specifically Fridays’ game a little bit, t o see if that’s going to be something we continue to expand upon.”

On Terrelle Pryor’s role: We’re still kind of tinkering with that toy. We did some things in the first game we were pleased with. We went into the second game and tried some other schemes that we looked at and maybe weren’t as successful as they were in the first week. We’ll continue to change up and do some different things, so we have an entire package. Each week we’re trying to expose just a little bit with Terrelle, add a little bit to the initial package we had for him.

On ripple effect of Veldheer’s injury: I think it changes how we’re going to use everybody. It’ll impact how I use Darren McFadden, it will impact how I use Marcel Reece. You don’t lose a player like that and think you’re not going to have to change some things or do some things differently.

On the competition at tight end: We were starting to clear that up. We felt like David Ausberry was having a good camp and now again, with Richard Gordon and Jeron Mastrud, they’re in the battle for the No. 1 spot. We like the emergency of our young tight ends . . . but we’ll really take a good hard look at Richard Gordon and Jeron Mastrud this week.

On the inconsistencies of wide receiver Denarius Moore: A lot of it is going to be on Denarius. To me, it’s that whole character issue, becoming a self-starter, becoming a self-motivated person, and a lot of it comes with maturity. I think he’d be the first guy to say we’re constantly on top of him . . . we’ll just coach him up, but I think he’s becoming a more mature player and a more mature person. A lot of players will tell you, `Boy, I wish I had been more mature as a younger player.’ And I think that maturity will happen for Denarius.

On the maturity of wide receiver Rod Streater: I think when you’re talking about self-starters and self-motivated people, Rod Streater is that guy in the room to me. He’s the leader in that room just based on his work ethic, his preparation and the way he approaches the game.

On the progress of quarterback Matt Flynn: He’s been steady throughout this training camp and that’s Matt Flynn. That’s what he’s been about and what we’ve expected

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Priesttj12

And I can guarantee you dollars to donuts DA doesn’t think Pryor is very smart, I hear it when he talks about him. It’s that same old “yeah that guy” response. He overlooks him to see someone he feels comfortable with……………period

If he shows me different I’ll be glad to admit it, but show me first……..period

• Ghosttoothepost

Priesttj12 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 9:41 pm
    riesttj12 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 9:36 pm
    Flynn has marginal skills and he uses checkdowns to raise his completion % he just does NOT look good. Not nearly as good as I thought he was. He’s terrible.
    ================
    Come on Priest, lighten up.
    He’s not terrible.
    You know that.
    He’s just not as good as the resident moron keeps stating, just to rile you.
    Ignore that racist coward.

Said it before.
    With our oline, its likely we will never see what either flynn or pryor is capable of.
    **************************************
    I don’t read the village idiot. And couldn’t care less what he says. It bothers me what’s happening is all. What’s said in here is understandable given the sources. It just bother me to SEE IT take place. I’ve been witnessing this stuff for as long as I have been a sports fan. I have always had to just bite my lip and accept it. I refuse to do that anymore………period
    =======
    It’s not the 70′s anymore.
    Or the 80′s even.

Coaches lives are shortlived. Don’t have the luxury of playing “favorites”, if that was their thing, which I havent seen. They know if they don’t win, someone else will come in and take over. They play who they think gives them the best chance to win.

• RNOraiderFan

Night Nation! Sept 8th is going to be live in here!

• Kirk
  • Kirk

Priesttj12 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:28 pm

If he shows me different I’ll be glad to admit it, but show me first……..period
    ……………………………………………..

I don’t think Dennis Allen is very smart.

• Kirk

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 pm
    Once again, Priest just refuses to consider that Pryor’s not a good quarterback. Just like with Debo and JaPaycheck, he refuses to let anything that disturbs his preconceived notions enter his head.
    ………………………………………………

Touchdowns are all that matters.

Pryor….

Against Detroit….threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third.
    Against San Diego…..threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third.
    Against Dallas…ran for a touchdown, could of run for one more.
    Against New Orleans….ran for a touchdown on only two series.

• 0ak r8rs

“Managing” is not going to get Raiders wins. The offense and Defense are not good enough. They will have to takes some chances. Take some shots. Not going to happen with Flynn.

@@@@@@@

We will see once the season starts. The attitude around here was completely different after the Dallas win. Like I said, if Flynn sucks for 4 or 5 games, and we have 1 or 0 wins, I’ll be banging the drum for Pryor right along with you. But Flynn gives us the best chance to win now. And what can it hurt to try? One of the big arguments for the Pryor campaign is “what’s the worst that can happen, a top pick next year?” Well Flynn going 0 and 5 or 1 and 4 if that’s what happens, won’t hurt that argument.

• 0ak r8rs

Kirk Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:32 pm
    Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 pm
    ………………………………………………

Touchdowns are all that matters.

Pryor….

Against Detroit….threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third.
    Against San Diego…..threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third.
    Against Dallas…ran for a touchdown, could of run for one more.
    Against New Orleans….ran for a touchdown on only two series.

@@@@@@@@

Wow. Like that needed repeating?

1 regular season game. None of what you said means anything.

• Priesttj12

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 pm
    421, Oak, Remember that it IS entertainment for some. People want to be titillated (how’s that for a word) and the thought of Pryor running around evading people and tossing long bombs is appealing. Of course there’s doubt by a lot of guys here that he CAN throw those long bombs and score TD’s.

Flynn? “Steady”, “sound”, “game manager” are terms a lot of people associate with him.

I’d rather win than be entertained and lose. That’d be like watching a cool action movie and being totally ticked off and disappointed at the ending.

I had said that I wasn’t convinced Pryor couldn’t be a qb that could score and win games for us, and that I didn’t believe he couldn’t throw the football based on what I’d seen so far.

I STILL have not seen enough to close the book on him.

Like Plunkett said in the broadcast last game “I wanna see Pryor throw the football”.

Can we at least have him throw a variety of passes including long balls, short ones and intermediate some time? Then if he’s as bad as a lot of guys say we can close the book on him.

I’ve been disappointed in not seeing him attempt the passes i’d like to see him attempt.

What are 5 passes gonna show us? What is one start on a rainy daygonna tell us about his potential.

If Aikman was judged on his first start we would’ve never seen him again. No qb should be judged on one pro start.

I realize the league owes Pryor nothing. Tons of qb’s never even get that much, but for me personally i’d really like to see more with my own eyes before i’m convinced he’s as bad as some say.
    **************************************
    DJ Johnny, Thank you soo much my man. I hav esaid this before about you. You are a very fairminded individual and always very refreshing to read. Thanks you and I mean it. More peope like you would get me addicted to this blog again. So I’ll say my goodbyes

Adios folks!!

• 0ak r8rs

Kirk Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:31 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:28 pm

If he shows me different I’ll be glad to admit it, but show me first……..period
    ……………………………………………..

I don’t think Dennis Allen is very smart.

@@@@@@@@

Coming from you? I’m ok w that.

• RaidO

Kirk Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:31 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:28 pm

If he shows me different I’ll be glad to admit it, but show me first……..period
    ……………………………………………..

I don’t think Dennis Allen is very smart.
    ——————-

Yes, remember DA hired Greg Knapp last season.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RNOraiderFan Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:08 pm
    Steve Mcnair developed for 6 years and won an MVP
    Aaron Rogers was horrible in his first few camps and preseasons and developed into a Super Bowl winner. Just saying…
    =============================================

McNairs second year in the league you could tell he could play. He improved every year and by his 5th year he was 9-2 as a starter. Rodgers outperformed Favre in the preseason in 2006 and 2007. Again, having that kind of performance that anyone can see made it easy for the Packers braintrust to get rid of a lst ballot hall of famer. Anyone that right now can look at Pryor and say he is as good as McNair or Rodgers 3 years into their tenures, just needs to sit the fu** down.

• Relentless

0ak r8rs Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:32 pm

@@@@@@@

—–
    I honestly don’t believe Flynn gives us the best chance to win after what I’ve seen so far.

• rediaR

Priesttj12 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:28 pm

If he shows me different I’ll be glad to admit it, but show me first……..period
    ————————-
    I don’t know the guy. Maybe he’s not smart. Maybe DA would know better than both of us if he was smart. Maybe he just doesn’t grasp certain aspects of the playbook and position as a whole as quickly as DA would like from a guy he’d entrust his career to. Is DA overlooking Pryor or is he just looking and not being impressed????? Question mark

• Try Some Reality

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 pm
    Try Some Reality Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:22 pm
    Rich Gannon wasn’t exciting? Lol. The offense was a well oiled machine with Rich, and his mobility was very exciting. Just when you thought a play was dead, he kept it alive.

Please don’t ever compare Rich with Flynn. lol

Pryor has that same type of escapability in him, hence the nickname Houdini.

@@@@@@@@

I was more comparing Gannon to Pryor. Since that’s who they were saying was exciting. You should read back some. Anyway, If Flynn can manage a game and not turn it over in the end zone, that’s good enough for me. Gannon didn’t win games w his arm. With some seasoning, Flynn may not have to either. Gannon was exciting because we were winning. W the exception of the occasional scramble, he was anything but exciting.

==========================================

Yes, you were comparing Pryor to Gannon as exciting vs. not exciting and by extension Pryor vs. Flynn. If you don’t see that connection in your own argument, I can’t help you.

Way to downplay Gannon’s pocket presence…”the occasional scramble”? lol

And I’m not talking about his scrambling, per se. I’m talking about his pocket presense. As I said, he kept plays alive. Yes, that is exciting. I remember us Raider fans watching him play thinking ‘how did he escape that?’

He also found the open man and knew where to go with it. Yes, that is exciting. Checking down to your RB when a guy is wide open down field? Not exciting. lol

• 0ak r8rs

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I STILL have not seen enough to close the book on him.

What are 5 passes gonna show us? What is one start on a rainy day gonna tell us about his potential.

@@@@@

Well, like I said before, I don’t indict Pryor after 5 passes like some guys do around here. I’d like to see more as well. And like I said before, if Flynn is stinking up the joint, or even of he’s ok and we r still losing, I’ll be calling for more Pryor too. But right now I’m still thinking Flynn gives us the best chance to win. It’s only gonna take 4 games or so to figure that out. It can’t hurt. I will be pissed, however, of they don’t follow thru on what they said about having Pryor packages, getting him a fair amount of real game time experience, every game. I want to see that happen.

• the famous dr robert

Lol. Listen to this guy.

He calls us klan members.

Then tells us we’re just insensitive.

What a crock.

How about this: Pryor sucks. Deal with it like a man. Not every black qb is good. Not every white qb is good.

I think the black qbs ARE the wave if the future actually and that’s cool to me.

I loved when O bam a won. To rub it in the racists face.

I like the idea of black kids getting their due.

This all started with missdick running his stupid bigot mouth and priest salivating over Pryor to the point of nausea.

So I let them have it. Daily. Flush them out. Make them crazy. They have it coming.

Do I understand where it comes from? Sure.

At first, I tried talking to missdick. Tried telling him to talk football and let the race stuff go.

He tried for about a day. He couldn’t last. Mainly cuz so many guys hated him, they wouldn’t stop teasing him.

But he and priest, while I have compassion for their likely experiences with racism and feel for the black community in general, knowing that it leads to self doubt and hatred along with bitterness, I can’t abide by daily racial taunts and outright lies.

They refuse to treat others as they want to be treated.

One thing that I’ve always admired about black people that I know is how they have taken abuse but still managed to rise above it and be better than the white people who a used them.

That’s why I hate seeing them embrace consumerism and wealth, the things that make white America ugly.

But I call a racist a racist, no matter who it is.

I have taunted them and grilled them and pressed them. Because they’re poisonous and they lie.

• DJ Johnny

It’s been a tough week in here cuz of Veldheer and the 1st half against New Orleans which everyone seemed to think defined our team. I was disappointed too.

Today with the news of guys coming back and following it up with a real good showing in the “dress rehearsal” game Fri nite? Things be looking up again and Kool-Aid can again be served en masse.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You think Pryor is not a good QB, but he is our backup, competing with Flynn, Olson likes him, and he is the same age as Wilson and playing better than him.

• rediaR

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:40 pm

———————
    Hey, Kool-Aid is cheap.

• Try Some Reality

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:40 pm

============================================

Also happy to see some guys come back. Will we get to see them play in this next game?

Still concerned about the lines. Having out DTs back won’t help put pressure on the QB. Lamarr doing all the heavy lifting?

• 0ak r8rs

@@@@@@@

Yea, he had great escapability. Didn’t mean to downplay.

And I’ve been the first to say Flynn has missed some open guys. Has not Pryor done the same? That’s not gonna stop until one of them can master the offense like Gannon did and know where everyone is and where they r supposed to be on every play. That’s not gonna happen after two weeks of preseason w a new OC and yet another new system. Neither QB has the ability to do anything like Gannon at this point.

Maybe Pryor has escapability not comparable to Gannon than Flynn does, but Gannon turned those plays into TDs. So far Pryor as turned them into nice runs, or picks, or almost picks.

• Cripes

Flynn just ain’t all that, you will see. Bein 95+ w/ 0 wins really aint nuthin to hang your hat on.

• Try Some Reality

Raider O Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:43 pm
    Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

============================================

Funny, isn’t it? He’s 2nd on the depth chart and many of these haters go as far as saying he could be cut. “Us? Haters? What makes you say that?” lol

• RaidO

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:32 pm

@@@@@@@

——————–

“But Flynn gives us the best chance to win now.”

That’s the fundamental disagreement with this whole Flynn/Pryor thing. Flynn gives the best chance to win based on what?
    Flynn has not proven anything yet. Not saying Pryor has but unlike Pryor Flynn has been given every opportunity to succeed. Major favoritism. “My guy” “Coach’s son” type crap.
    At this point if we had seen a legit QB competition with both players splitting first team reps in practice and in preseason games the starting QB selection would still be very much up in the air based on what has transpired. That is the REALITY

• Try Some Reality

That’s fair, 0ak. Pryor certainly isn’t there yet. Neither QB is. We don’t have a Gannon as of now, I agree.

• rediaR

I want to see Houston.
    I want to see Hayden.
    I want to see more of the Bass Master.
    I want to see what the DTs can bring.
    I want to see Jenkins house a KR to solidify the boot of Cribbs and Ford.
    I want to see Flynn work the passing game.
    I want to see something passable from the o-line.
    I want to see Pryor and the rookie QBs play well.
    I want McFadden to not look like garbage.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

New post losers.

• Cripes

Fact: RegMcK was real desperate when he went out and got his guy. Bein they both ex Green Bay, it was a feel good move by Reg. Green Bay has dumpsters all over the NFL and Reg just scored in a different city. Flynn is a great kid, just a #2. Sure hope Allen gives Pryor some time with the first team. If allen is concerned for his job, he’ll do it.

• 0ak r8rs

RaidO Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:48 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 10:32 pm

@@@@@@@

——————–

“But Flynn gives us the best chance to win now.”

@@@@@@@@

No. The reality is that the coaching staff didn’t think enough of what they saw from Pryor to give him a real QB competition. That’s why they brought in Flynn and drafted Wilson and will probably draft another QB next year. Pryor hasn’t earned the right to compete equally at this point, at least in the coaches eyes, the ones that see him every day.

It says something, however, that Pryor still seems to be getting equal reps w Flynn. I’ll say this tho. I don’t like that either. I think in order to be successful one of these guys needs EVERY rep. I think they r actually doing a disservice to each other splitting reps. I really hope if they really mean for Flynn to start, that he gets all the reps after next weeks game, just like the number one should. Same goes for Pryor, if they name him the starter.

• Bigmike34

There MUST be Subjective evidence of some kind to support the position that Pryor should start over Flynn

Pryor People what is that Evidence???….I can flood this with hard actual data of why Flynn should start…

WHERE IS YOUR DATA TO SUPPORT PRYOR?

• Pingback: nfl.hoops227.co » Oakland Raiders calling for Denarius Moore to mature

• Bigmike34

NFL Hoops…well said I think you are right on….The football team is made up of Mature Hardworking Men…and they cannot be lead by an immature brat of a kid…Especially when he has no Idea of how to be a Good QB …He doesn’t know about field and game management and looking off defenders and making good decisions as to where and when to throw or is even capable of standing in the Pocket and throwing the ball….Yes he does have a lot of physical talent…but that is useless unless he learns the above and grows up.

The numbers for Flynn in the N.O. game are better than many may realize when you look at the whole picture…

Pryor supporters mentioned the 5 Sacks. and it is true it took a full quarter plus for our guys on the line to Settle in…It is always a BIG PROBLEM when the Left Tackle Goes down…..

When the QB is suffering sack after sack and the 0-Line is committing penalty after penalty. You are not going to be getting a lot of 1st downs

I would point out that AFTER the 1st quarter FLYNN completed 8/10 passes in the Second Quarter…

Our line came together and performed better… They cut down.. the Penalties and Flynn drove us straight down field ending the drive with a perfect 18 yard TD pass

You all saw how horrific Pryor was in the 3rd quarter against their 2ond and 3rd team players.

THE WHOLE TRUTH IS A HORRIBLE THING TO WASTE.
    Pryor is what he is and that is Not a Starting QB

• Bigmike34

To you Pryor people…Here are the numbers for the N.O game….

LETS ME MAKE THE COMPARISON BETWEEN PRYOR AND FLYNN EASY FOR YOU…
    ——————————————-
    Flynn Comp 12/16 (75%) …124 Yards…QB rating..117.7
    Fryer……. 1/5 (20%)……9 Yards……………39.6 QB RATING

WHERE IS THE PRYER You people talk about the LONG PASSER THE BIG ARM… He averaged 1.8 yards per Passing Attempt………….Flynn…….7.8

ALSO NOTE Pryor’s long completion was 9 yards…Flynn’s TD pass was twice as long as that….and he had in addition a 24 yard completion..

PRYER the Great runner…4 rushes for 15 yards 3.8 per rush…

Flynn 1 rush for 4 yards…4 yards per Rush…

• raiderlization

I don’t care what numbers say I care about a serviceable QB that’s what it’s all about! I don’t buy season tickets for your approval of QB based on your Fantasy football stats! Not One QB on the roster is a seasoned vet! We will see what Matt’s about, He was about letting go so far! Pryor is on the same team that drafted him! Go Raiders!

• Bigmike34

RaiderLIZATION

Pryor was passed on by All the NFL teams TWICE before he was selected in the 3rd round of the special draft…

Pryor was so bad in his Big Chance last year against SD That the GM rushed out and paid $8 Million to get Flynn and gave a draft pick to Seattle for the privilege…Is their team management Stupid and you are the only smart guy…

NONE ARE SO BLIND AS THOSE WHO WILL NOT SEE.

• Pingback: Raiders trying to figure out offensive plans with Jared Veldheer out | RaidersEdge.com

• Bigmike34

I would put my best blocking TE on the Left side to help out the L Tackle

• Pingback: Raiders OC Greg Olson Says Denarius Moore Has 'Character Issue' | Raiders Tribune

• Pingback: NFL Veterans on the Hot Seat Midway Through Training Camps | IamDistinct

• R8der4evr

Greg breaks us down

• R8der4evr

Carr is the future

• R8der4evr

Reggie needs a VP if he stays.

• R8der4evr