Raiders sign tackle Tony Hills

The Raiders addressed a glaring need at tackle Tuesday with the addition of free agent Tony Hills.

Hills has played in 10 games over five seasons with one start for Pittsburgh, Denver and Indianapolis. He was released by the Buffalo Bills Sunday.

A former fourth-round draft pick (No., 130 overall) in the 2008 draft, Hills played in 42 games at Texas, with 24 starts at left tackle.

With Jared Veldheer out indefinitely following triceps surgery, Menelik Watson unavailable with a calf injury and undrafted free agent John Wetzel out with a knee injury, the only true tackles on the roster are starters Alex Barron and Khalif Barnes and reserve Willie Smith.

The Raiders have also been using Tony Bergstrom at tackle of late.

To make room on the roster, place kicker Eddy Carmona was waived/injured. Once he clears waivers, Carmona can be added to the Raiders injured reserve list and rehab until healthy.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• The_Judge37

24 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:42 am
    I just can’t believe Watson came into camp hurt…talk about hurting your chances and the team overall.
    ——-

He probably hurt himself spelunking or some other random sport he’s now into.

• guest123

We should try Watson at LT. Seriously, what’s the downside?

• 0ak r8rs

Guest123 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:45 am
    We should try Watson at LT. Seriously, what’s the downside?

@@@@@@@@

Flynn and Pryor dying a quick and unsettling death.

• 52.guest123 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:45 am
    We should try Watson at LT. Seriously, what’s the downside?

————————————–
    No one could be worse than Barron. Any wonder no one wanted him last year.

• 0ak r8rs

The_Judge37 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:44 am
    24 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:42 am
    ——-

He probably hurt himself spelunking or some other random sport he’s now into.

@@@@@@@@

I was gonna give this big explanation of how I was sure it was from off season workouts and he just over extended himself after OTAs and that it would be a lesson learned from a greener than usual, NFL rookie.

But spelunking sounds better. Haha

• DutchRaider77

50.24 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:44 am
    You can only run 3 to 4 wideout type offenses when you have an offensive line that can protect your QB, otherwise you’re Mike Martz and allowing your QB to take too many hits. That’s why Martz kept getting fired as an OC at every destination he was at once he was not with the Rams. You need the perfect personnel.

__________________________________________________

I could be wrong…but didn’t Green Bay have line probelms and they kept more and more players into block and it didn’t work.

But when they spread the field the problems were not as bad? Lots of quick timing throws?

• guest123

He probably hurt himself spelunking or some other random sport he’s now into.

*********

boxing (punch) and soccer (footwork) are not random useless sports. you see all the guys playing basketball blowing out ACL’s and achilles all the time.

• The_Judge37

I’m not worried about the Oline at all, we have Tony S. The Guru of Gaps, the Boss of Blocks, The Wizard of Walling off. There’s a reason D.A. hired him and Reggie cosigned.

The Pass rush on the other hand is a major concern.

• 24

What’s the downside of trying Watson at LT? Well first…he needs to be the field.

• SpudRaider

0ak r8rs

I agree (sort of) w/ why Smith still on roster. Briesel has some value to a zone blocking team. Bergstrom & Nix will be the guards when we start the season. I wish we hadn’t waived Barksdale in the middle of the season last year. The guy is a stud & would be our starting right tackle this year.

• 24

Dutch – We don’t have Aaron Rodgers or the talent the Packers possess on offense.

• RaidingTexas
  • The_Judge37

guest123 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:49 am
    He probably hurt himself spelunking or some other random sport he’s now into.

*********

boxing (punch) and soccer (footwork) are not random useless sports.
    ——–

Never said they were Useless.

• 0ak r8rs

DutchRaider77 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:48 am
    50.24 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:44 am

__________________________________________________

@@@@@

Yea. But I’m not sure Flynn is capable of that. Not yet anyway. He missed the hot read on the strip sack in game 1. And missed a wide open guy on game two. He’s got the playbook down I think, but not the communication w the receivers and the mastery of the offense it takes to make changes like that on the fly at the LOS. At least not from what I’ve seen so far. However, if those plays were specifically designed as quick outs and WR screens and stuff, then yea, Flynn could probably make that happen. Assuming Flynn starts, that is.

• the famous dr robert

A lot depends on how they currently feel about Barron.

Move Barnes to LT and put bergs at RT?

Take another look at Barron at LT and see if he improves?

Watson is needed and will likely start four weeks after he starts practicing.

And he can get by on talent and do better than the others.

He will have a glaring screw up now and then but otherwise dominate.

• 24

Joe Barksdale is the backup LT to Jake Long in St. Louis.

• willy91137

the Hill will be injured by Friday will be good players on the waiver wire when the cutdown comes

some teams will cut for salary reasons or they think the rookie draft pick could take his place

not a lot of left tackles that are really good if he is you will have to pay him

you just never know though some players new scenery change of attitude they turn around

• the famous dr robert

U guys do realize that it’s still preseason. Practice games.

They’re still in the process of getting it together.

Three more weeks til it’s live.

• guest123

RaidingTexas Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:50 am
    Anyone see this?

Wow.

*********

I read it this morning. the emails from Raider fans felt like gut punches. you realize the article has an agenda and it’s core is hate, but a lot of really messed up true stuff comes to surface as well.

• 0ak r8rs

SpudRaider Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:49 am
    0ak r8rs

@@@@@@@

Barksdale is nowhere near a stud, quite the opposite actually. That being said, we could use his mediocre @ss right now. Even at the time it seemed like a rash cut by Reggie. My guess is he had an attitude problem. Wasn’t “jiving” w the message the new regime was trying to get across or whatever. Could have been a decent backup for us, and we could use him now. But that’s more indicative of how bad we r, more than how good he is. He’s stuck on the bench w the Rams, a piss poor offensive line, as their 6th or 7th OL body.

• Did you guys scare poor little MR away with your kissing cousins talk? Trolls have feelings too come on people lets try to get along with the little guy this time.

• the famous dr robert

Barksdale is no better than Willie smith.

A backup.

• PlunkforHOF

Didn’t see there was a new post so just want to give congrats once again to the Podunk Pappy!

• guest123

Barksdales sucks. but no worse than any of our starters except our center. sigh

• willy91137

Guest123 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:49 am
    He probably hurt himself spelunking or some other random sport he’s now into.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Injury sounds like soccer pretty common in soccer to get kicked in the calf if thay miss the ball

• 0ak r8rs

5) Anthony Wayne Smith. I bet Al Davis nodded in solemn approval when Smith got tagged for murder. KILLIN’ FOLK… NOW THAT IS RAIDERS FOOTBALL.

@@@@@@@

This is obviously meant to be humorous. Of course, it isn’t.

• DutchRaider77

71.Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:55 am

_______________________________________________

Sorry, my bad…I was nice to him, it freaked him out.

• PlunkforHOF

Did I read that MR said he met Brien at a game? I don’t remember B ever saying anything about that.

• 24

The only thing Davis wanted to kill was QB’s…and not literally! He just wanted to hurt them.

• willy91137

It will take three or four weeks for this team to be able to play together if we can keep them healthy for that long which is doubtful

• 24

PlunkforHOF – Why are you even talking about MR? Who cares?

• the famous dr robert

I’m in a fantasy league with some old friends.

Been playing since ’01.

I’m almost always the points leader.

I will be taking Flynn as my 2nd qb with likely my last pick since no one will be on him.

I will be avoiding DMc like the plague.

I will be grabbing d.moore for sure in the mid rounds and probably ausberry with my next to last pick. Why those two? 3rd year receivers are breakout guys.

Reece will make a nice 3rd back and could possibly end up being our #1 RB soon.

• 24

Some of you don’t like MR or whatever but instead of forgetting about him, you talk about him even when hes not here. You’re just as guilty or as annoying as you think he is by bringing someone up constantly. Let’s talk some football.

• 0ak r8rs

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:56 am
    Barksdale is no better than Willie smith.

A backup.

@@@@@@@@

Barksdale is a backup. But the smurf would be better at tackle than Willie Smith. I can’t ever recall seeing a worse tackle than Willie Smith.

• 24

When I play fantasy, I usually avoid Raiders players. I get double angry seeing us lose and then seeing how bad the player was and then how bad my fantasy team was because of it…no way!

• morilla

Guest123 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    Barksdales sucks. but no worse than any of our starters except our center. sigh

—————-

I don’t know. I have a good feeling about Nix. I really hope he steps up and solidifies that spot. He’s a mean s.o.b.

• 24

I don’t know…Barron looked like he never played football Friday night. Willie Smith can’t possibly be worse.

• the famous dr robert

Wille did suck for us but they did think they found a good prospect for some reason.

He got some starts with his previous team but was then cut.

Probably shows some ability now and then in practice.

• guest123

I will be grabbing d.moore for sure in the mid rounds.

********

It was between him and Ben Tate last night in the 10th round. I had to take Tate, because of Foster’s back problems. D Moore too inconsistent to use even as a flex. Tate is a high upside high risk gamble. we’ll see.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 5h Personnel departments will be putting the finishing touches on their preseason bubble list evaluations by the end of this weekend.

• morilla

Willie had a good game last year. I think it was his first start. After that it was downhill.

• 24

I really thought Gurode would have performed better. Was it rust? I was open to the idea of Gurode at Center and Wisniewski at Guard because I felt that would have been a stronger line but it’s tough to trust any of these players right now.

• guest123

********
    you probably win at fantasy football

• PlunkforHOF

24 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 12:00 pm
    PlunkforHOF – Why are you even talking about MR? Who cares?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

True enough.. -1 BCP on me for troll feeding.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Though his contract numbers aren’t exactly gaudy: I say the Raiders regime need to make up their mind whether to “sh1t, or get off the potty” with Pryor at the end of this season. this makes no sense that there is no foreseeable future for your second string QB.

—————

that would have been done when reggie first got here… that would have been done this offseason and sign vince young to backup flynn.

• willy91137

how many defensive lineman are hurt now thar so how many of thim ifdo we have

on the roster right now maybe by Friday will have enough to have some rotation

is Willfork the one that played for the patriots I probably didn’t spell his name right

I thought that was a good name for him because when you look at it you think of a forklift to pick him up

• the famous dr robert

24 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    *********
    Madden always refused to put raiders on the all madden team. He said TE whole team would be raiders if he did.

I’m looking at value. I believe Flynn will be top ten, therefore a good #2.

Moore could have a top 20 year. Reece will get 50 or 60 yards a game.

Ausberry might surprise IF he makes the team.

• guest123

24 Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    I really thought Gurode would have performed better. Was it rust?

*******

No, he’s old and washed up. Can’t swivel and his hips don’t open up in time to engage. He’s got old-man-itis

• 24

Guest – True story lol…except for last year…I don’t know what happened then haha

• nycraider

whats sad is I expected this pre season to be fill of battles for many positions on offense and defense. Turns out our best competition is at punter