Guy a nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, August 21st, 2013 at 11:55 am in Oakland Raiders.

Former Raiders punter Ray Guy is one of two Senior Committee nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He is joined by former Eagles defensive end Claude Humphrey.
Guy played for the Raiders from 1973-86. He is regarded as one of the best punters in league history. No pure punters have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Guy was named All-Pro six straight seasons and selected to the Pro Bowl seven times during his career.
Current Raiders punter Chris Kluwe long has been outspoken about the fact no pure punters are in the hall of fame. Guy is one of the players he has pushed for enshrinement.
“He’s a guy who should be in the hall of fame because he changed the game at his position,” Kluwe said Wednesday. “Before Ray Guy, no one really tracked hang time because they didn’t understand that that was an important stat. Then they realized, ‘Oh, hey, wait a minute, this is actually helping the team a lot.’ So, if you’re any player who redefined the game at your position, that is the definition of a hall of famer by the fact that everyone knows your name. It’s great news.”
For induction, Guy and Humphrey need the same 80 percent voting support that is required of all finalists. The Hall’s Selection Committee can elect a maximum of two senior candidates and five modern-era candidates for a class no smaller than four or larger than seven.
Here’s how the HOF summed up Guy’s career:
He averaged 40 yards per punt in all but one of his 14 seasons. In 207 career games, he punted 1,049 times for 44,493 yards for a career average of 42.4 yards. He also was noted for his precision as he dropped punts inside the 20-yard-line 209 times from 1976 through his retirement after the 1986 season. Data for that statistic was not available during his first three years. Guy was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 1970s.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

RaiderRetribution Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:21 pm
    I see Watson at LT by game three

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yeah?
    I see myself winning the Euro lottery.

Funny how reality keeps intruding.

• Ghosttoothepost

J Hill Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:20 pm
    There were 5 sacks given up against the Saints in the first half.

Barron was responsible for ONE of them.

Coaches watched the film of him and trotted him right back out there. Even went on record to contradict the Rams GM and his sour grapes.
    =========
    so you like Barron? Or just think he’s not as bad as he’s portrayed?

He was a major bust with the Rams.
    Not sure how he can turn that around, especially playing a position he’s not comfortable with, at LT.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J Hill Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:23 pm
    Scott Bair ‏@BairCSN 8m

Menelik said he took a few snaps, on the right and left. #Raiders

—————————————————————————–

Get with the program, O!!!!
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Lol
    I’m. Clown for Clowney program.

• inonewordraider

LDE – Hunter
    LDT – Sims
    RDT – Walker
    RDE – Houston

________
    carter>Houston as a rde

and hopefully bass can improve v the run as he’s our best pass rusher

• J Hill

My Pryor starting in Indy propaganda gained some momentum today.

Pryor refused comment because he privately said he wouldn’t switch his number back to 2 until he earned the starting QB role.

Can’t wait to see the meltdowns from both sides, lol.

• rediaR

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:01 pm
    East – Bring up a topic and let’s discuss…
    ——-

OK, I think DJ Hyden was a bad/wasted pick for us. We had already signed a corner who won a SB and added another who was a former pro bowler and on top of that we had depth with Adams, Chekwa, and Hanson behind them. Meanwhile our O line is in shambles and need the most attention. We had 2 5 star prospects staring us in the face in Lane Johnson and Chance Warmack at #3. With us going back to the PBS you need quality powerful olinemen. We only have 2 quality linemen and RM failed to realize that the direction we needed to go was oline, as a result of that we will for sure suck again this year. How will DJ make an impact if our offense is going 3 and out and putting the defense right back on the field to get tired out? The diline will be tired and teams will run it down our throats and play action off of that and burn us deep. The ripple effects of a bad oline will be felt throughout the entire team and its a shame more of us dont realize that.
    ———————–
    Can’t fix everything in one year. Reggie and presumably DA fell in love with DJ and his potential more than any of those OL. You need 3 legit corners in the league these days so having two vets here already doesn’t bother me. Plus, DJ will be a stud. A playmaker even.

• 24

East – Yeah, I was a little surprised we didn’t pick up one of the big boys for the offensive and defensive lines in the draft. RM focused on the defensive line in FA and I believe he felt good about the guys he picked up. Plus, he has his draft picks as depth on the line as well.

My only guess regarding the offensive line is that he felt the line wasn’t as terrible as they looked the other night. Maybe adding Sparano gave him more confidence that we could work with this line or that they were good enough?

At the end of the day, it’s clear that RM took what he thought was the best on his board, rather than by need. He has a whole team to build at every position and he needs youth and depth in order to sustain years of winning.

• shutdown

re: Murray

Laproscopic surgery?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL11m
    #Raiders coach Dennis Allen said rookie running back Latavius Murray underwent surgery on his ankle.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Too b

• J Hill

so you like Barron?

————————————————-

Ideally, of course not.

I don’t see a big difference between him and Barnes at LT. Wasnt Barnes the other whipping boy most folks wanted cut?

Just accept the fact we have a backup playing LT and it will be that way no matter who we put over there. Send a TE to help the backup.

• rediaR

Watson is inexperienced, but he’s done pretty damn well with that limited experience.

• Raider Riff

155.

Interesting.

Thx for that post.

That is the sorta stuff we wish our local media was sharp enough to pick up on.

Instead they are already tweeting that TP is now a diva. Tools.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

* too bad. What the hell is wrong with this blog?

• Myopinion

Hill,
    No credit to me, I thought u cosigned me.
    Dissapointed in you

• DutchRaider77

155.J Hill Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:29 pm
    My Pryor starting in Indy propaganda gained some momentum today.

Can’t wait to see the meltdowns from both sides, lol.

____________________________________________

Interesting!
    Do you think Pryor could end up starting for the Bears game?

• elraidmanhattan

140 blow it out your rear ,youhave no idea what you are talking about. Watson can play period. Moreover my good friend at the NFL offices a fla. State who knows quite well what a hardcore fan i am called me and said that we got a good one in Watson, I have watched Watson have you? Bruce campbell comparison is plain stupid.

• DutchRaider77

_______________________________________________

Didn’t Super Mario beat out Barnes for the LT spot?

• eastoaklandraider

RediaR Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:30 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:22 pm
    24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:01 pm
    East – Bring up a topic and let’s discuss…
    ——-

———————–
    ———-

He wont have a chance to make plays, becuz team are gonna run it down our throat after all those 3 in outs. The D will be tired.

• J Hill

No credit to me, I thought u cosigned me.

—————————————————————————–

LOL

My bad!

• 24

J HIll – Pryor “privately” said he would switch to #2 if he won the starting job? So there’s no link?

I don’t believe it.

• Raider E

Barnes Nix Wiz Bergstrom Watson

• elraidmanhattan

Seriously so many scouts here that can determine who is going to be a bust, great if you are able to do that go send your resume to Reggie, otherwise shut up.

It is like robert with his qb ratings, great now i know who is good or not.

• Myopinion

Just kidding,
    Pretty interesting post on the number thing.

• J Hill

Interesting!
    Do you think Pryor could end up starting for the Bears game?

—————————————————————————-

That would tip the coaches hand for Indy.

• 24

New Post

• eastoaklandraider

24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:31 pm

————

BPA is alright when you have a decent team, but when the oline performed like it did last year and in that Saints game Oline should have been priority #1 esp when you tell us we are going to a PBS.

• rediaR

I think what Reggie did in FA before the draft was get himself and DA comfortable that they had at least a reasonable starter at every position including OL. That way the need based drafting wouldn’t be much of an issue. The bottom line though, injuries happen and we haven’t had a lot of time to build depth on the team.

Pre-draft they liked what they saw from Nix and felt Bergs could improve in his second year. They still liked Breisel and were hoping his injury was the problem last year. Barnes they figured could be a solid vet presence at RT. Veldy and Wiz are solid.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

elraidmanhattan Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:33 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nonsense.
    Both guys with physical talent who were projects.

As to blowing it out my rear, every time I do that YOU show up.

Don’t get me wrong, I want Watson to succeed.
    Put five Brits on the OL I’m all for it and I’m all for Menelik even if he is a City fan.

However, a lot of people have pretty wild expectations for the guy in his first NFL year.

• 0ak r8rs

Raider O Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:24 pm
    0ak R8rs Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:59 am
    Btw, do you know how to use a calculator? If you are that bad at math, use a calculator.

@@@@@@@

Slow O

I said 80% to 90%. The answer was 78%. Pretty good for NOT using a calculator. Grabbed a best guess number. Pretty close I’d say.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

78%? I guess you can’t use a calculator. lol
    8/12 is 66+%, and 8/11 is 72+%.
    SMH

@@@@@@

Sigh. 11/14. Work it out. Let me know. Don’t hurt yourself.

• jumpnjiminy