Guy a nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, August 21st, 2013 at 11:55 am in Oakland Raiders.

Former Raiders punter Ray Guy is one of two Senior Committee nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He is joined by former Eagles defensive end Claude Humphrey.
Guy played for the Raiders from 1973-86. He is regarded as one of the best punters in league history. No pure punters have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Guy was named All-Pro six straight seasons and selected to the Pro Bowl seven times during his career.
Current Raiders punter Chris Kluwe long has been outspoken about the fact no pure punters are in the hall of fame. Guy is one of the players he has pushed for enshrinement.
“He’s a guy who should be in the hall of fame because he changed the game at his position,” Kluwe said Wednesday. “Before Ray Guy, no one really tracked hang time because they didn’t understand that that was an important stat. Then they realized, ‘Oh, hey, wait a minute, this is actually helping the team a lot.’ So, if you’re any player who redefined the game at your position, that is the definition of a hall of famer by the fact that everyone knows your name. It’s great news.”
For induction, Guy and Humphrey need the same 80 percent voting support that is required of all finalists. The Hall’s Selection Committee can elect a maximum of two senior candidates and five modern-era candidates for a class no smaller than four or larger than seven.
Here’s how the HOF summed up Guy’s career:
He averaged 40 yards per punt in all but one of his 14 seasons. In 207 career games, he punted 1,049 times for 44,493 yards for a career average of 42.4 yards. He also was noted for his precision as he dropped punts inside the 20-yard-line 209 times from 1976 through his retirement after the 1986 season. Data for that statistic was not available during his first three years. Guy was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 1970s.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

FIRE REGGIE NOW.

• 24

What the h3ll…

• the famous dr robert

Repost for what it’s worth:

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 20th, 2013 at 11:00 pm
    Ever since I became disgusted by missdick and priest, and decided to hammer them, there has been a building idea that I’m the opposite side of the coin. A racist against black qbs. Against Pryor. I have been conflicted by this cuz I would never want myself represented that way. I have too many good black friends that I love and respect and basically love black culture. So that has been problematic for me. I’ve tried to remain race-neutral when normally in my life, I’m seen as pro black. I’ve said many times people would be surprised if they knew me.

But while I disagree with things priest and missdick say, there has been a gnawing feeling within me that I don’t want to create more animosity within them towards white people. I may not be able to reach them but I don’t want to make it worse. They are human beings and I don’t want to contribute to them feeling bad, as confused as they may be.

I’m sure that some other posters see me as anti-Pryor and therefore anti black by association.

So I feel bad about that too.

Somewhere along the line, things got off track.

So, I’m making the decision to cease attacks and insults. I am lying down arms.

If people attack me, I won’t attack back.

This is in the interest of generating good will and contributing positivity to the blog and to its real people.

I apologize if anyone thought I was racist. No way was that my intention. Ever. I don’t believe I said anything racist but if anyone felt it due to circumstances, I apologize.

I extend my hand in friendship to all of u, including all of my daily battle-mates. Especially them.

U don’t have to accept but it’s there if u decide to.

Some things are bigger than football and this is one.

I can see that whether I agree or not on their perceptions, some real people have hard feelings and that’s not cool.

Let’s approach the season with excitement.

Let’s remember we are all Raiders fans.

Let’s remember that Al Davis, flawed at times, saw thru bigotry.

I may not agree with u. I believe Flynn is good. I believe Pryor is not.

But I will try to not offend u.

• SaintKaufman

Uh, oK.

• 0ak r8rs

Btw, do you know how to use a calculator? If you are that bad at math, use a calculator.

@@@@@@@

Slow O

I said 80% to 90%. The answer was 78%. Pretty good for NOT using a calculator. Grabbed a best guess number. Pretty close I’d say.

• 0ak r8rs

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:54 am
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:17 am
    0ak R8rs Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:14 am
    Exactly.
    Lets not forget that he has 37 attempts. 37!! Small sample size.

@@@@@@@

I’m not down on Pryors low QBR. Never mentioned it. Never my point. My point is that Flynn has a 90+ and if he maintains that throughout the year then it will almost certainly translate into wins. That’s all that I said. If you can’t agree w that? I couldn’t care less.
    ——-

C’mon its pre season you REALLY think his QBR will stay over 90? You really believe that, really?

@@@@@@@

Never said that either. All I said was IF he can keep it there we will almost certainly have success. And w the little data we have available on both QBs right now, Flynn seems to have the propensity for the higher QBR. Therefore it follows that he has the best chance of maintaining that 90+ QBR. I never said he WOULD maintain it, or that we WOULD win if he did. I just said it was the more likely scenario.

• 24

Perfect example!

If this coaching staff is racist, then why did they trade Carson Palmer for Matt Flynn?

#1 – Turnovers
    #2 – Salary

Palmer had a tendency to take too many risks outside the system. He consistently threw interceptions at the end of the game or in crucial moments. To add to this, his salary was also very high. Now, if he wasn’t making those mistakes and we were winning games, his salary would be justified but he continuously proved that he wasn’t a winner.

So…the team sent him on his way in order to get a guy who would protect the ball and run their offensive system as intended.

In other words, if they were truly racists, then why trade Carson Palmer away?

Your racism point has expired and is now invalid.

• theghostronin79

Pryor is a poor passer. That’s all. The coaches see it. Most people do.

Some don’t.

=============

I agree that he’s not a “Good” passer.
    He looks better than he did against SD. That was also a good pass to Butler on 3rd and long. Butler caught it, and got both feet in bounds for a 1st. Vacarro knocked it out upon hitting the ground. That “Throw away” ball….Session had a chance on it and didn’t even try.

All predictions take time to measure. I don’t even give a damn about saying I was right or wrong. I just didn’t see this “Precision sharp shooter, slicing defenses” against NO. I saw ankle biters, throws off target, low-high-behind, and not seeing wide open Mastrud. A guy that looked flat out rattled and wanting the rock OUT of his hands.

That was a damn nice toss to DMO for the score though. I applauded him for that.

You think Pryor looks horrendous: He doesn’t
    I think he looks improved quite a bit.

You think Flynn looks Fantastic: He doesn’t
    I think he looks So/so

• eastoaklandraider

24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:52 am
    East – It’s true though…Steve Young wasn’t a good QB either. Young developed into one. Sure, Pryor should be given a chance to develop but there’s also no guarantee that he will become Young either.

In the present time, this coaching staff doesn’t want to take the risk.

Also, Young was surrounded by an amazing cast of football players. He was under one of the greatest coaches ever and learning under a HOF QB. To think that Pryor has the same thing going for him is crazy!
    ———-

Allen is no Bill Walsh, but if Pryor continues to work with House in the offsesson he should be a complete player by next year. But the bottom line is if the oline isnt fixed soon it wont matter who the QB,RB,or defensive players are. Pryor also needs more game reps, the more he plays in live action the better he will get imo.

• 0ak r8rs

Your racism point has expired and is now invalid.

@@@@@@@@

They r like spoiled 8 year olds. Their racism point will never expire or be invalidated, regardless of how much logic or how many facts you confront them with. Logic and facts merely confuse them and make them angry.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:43 am
    Perfect example!

===================

players being traded cut signed named starter or bench warmer is in no way proof of anti racism

please

• 24

Also…when we were out of playoff contention. I wanted Terrell Pryor to start over Carson Palmer and develop. I really wanted Pryor to be our QB. Once Flynn got here, I believed Flynn fit our needs. Had Pryor developed more last season, I might feel different.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:43 am
    Perfect example!

===================
    come on

please

• eastoaklandraider

——-

That is a big IF, esp behind that line. The future looks bleak for Flynn behind that line.

• 24

Mistic – Of course it’s proof…don’t be naive! If it’s all about black and white, then Palmer stays because he’s white!

If Palmer is still here, do you still think Pryor should start?

• the famous dr robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:04 pm
    24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:43 am
    Perfect example!

===================

please
    ********
    Can’t prove a negative.

Look up that term.

This is the BIGGEST flaw in everything u post.

• 24

The future of Rodgers looked bleak behind the GB line….no?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:58 am
    DutchRaider77 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:42 am
    66.Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:31 am
    DutchRaider77 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:26 am
    @Mistic
    You do realize that the origin of “Wave of the Future” was originally coined to describe the Nazi party?

Maybe you had this in mind when you started using the phrase…
    ============================

has nothing to do with me or my post.

Even if what you say is true it isnt like hitler or the nazis would ever accept the guys that i touted as one of their own, is it?

So i dont see your point in bringing that up

__________________________________________________

Really, everyday you come on this site nit-picking at words that are used by whites and going back to their historical references. Pryor isn’t playing b/c Olsen and DA are racists?

Pretty sure your wave of the future argument breaks down to that these QBs are genetically superior to their white counter-parts.

========================

you call it ‘knit picking at words”

i call it paying attention

i did not say anywhere in that post that “pryor isnt playing because Da and olson are racist”

I said they are suspects, and my post was about the meaning behind the coded language and what makes it suspicious. I made no mention of playing time, only the offensive strategy employed when pryor is in the game

lastly your assertion of my reasons for using the term “wave of the future” is off base, and says more about the way you view things than anything else.

You make assumptions based on your own thought process, so examine your thoughts closely. i find your assertion to be very suspicious indeed.

oh by the way I did not bring this up, i am simply chiming in on a conversation that was posted yesterday.

• eastoaklandraider

Teams will blitz the schit out of Flynn, and he will be helpless, at least Pryor will give you a shot to escape and make a play.

• 0ak r8rs

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    ——-

@@@@@@@

Not disputing that. It was Slow O that started reading all sorts of stuff into my statement. I was just pointing out a correlation between QBR and wins (playoff appearances). But since that statement favored Flynn over Pryor, regardless of intent, it caused an 18 hour debate/argument/angerfest. Gotta love this place.

• 24

See the problem is that Pryor may get away with his legs but his arm hasn’t proven that even though he can escape the pressure, that he won’t throw it poorly into coverage etc. So he got away from the blitz and threw an interception…that’s not helpful either.

• the famous dr robert

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    ********
    Faulty logic

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    ==================

your off track and this doesn’t apply to my post it seems

what are you saying is “all about black and white”?

• JLofty

I have been waiting for this shamockery to end for decades. Ray Guy NOT in the HOF was a disgrace.
    Outstanding news. Guy was a HUGE contributor to our success back in the day and as the emer/#3 QB he also allowed us to keep an extra dude on the roster.
    Marquette King I’m talking to you!

• 0ak r8rs

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:04 pm
    24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:43 am
    Perfect example!

===================
    come on

please

@@@@@@@

Told you so.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Chase Thomas is an underated pickup. THE AINTS gave up on him to quickly but they could afford to.

LET HIM RUSH THE PASSER and he will excel. VERY YOUNG PUP..

he was part of that stout defense the last two years.. the defense that crushed oregons National Title chances

• eastoaklandraider

24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:06 pm
    The future of Rodgers looked bleak behind the GB line….no?
    ———

There line is not as bad as ours and Rodgers is Rodgers, Flynn is not Rodgers. GB also passes a lot more which will result in more sacks which is why this year they will focus more on the run game with Lacy, Pitt is doing the same, cant pass at a 60% clip in the NFL for long without getting your QB hurt.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    ==================

pryor is way better at recognizing the blitz and adjusting the line protections

his pre snap acumen is just as important as his ability to move

• JLofty

I’m sorry but Flynn looked positively Soup-like out there against NO. He will have to get better to have success…

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

THEY NEED TO PUT FLYNN IN THE SPREAD.. im not even joking.. let him be in shotgun most of the time and he will shred the defenses.

At first thats how i thought they would use him.. .. CMON OLSON get on it.. forget the tight ends.. we dont have any good ones yet.. go to a 4 man WR

Spread the defense out.. you can run out of shotgun too

• 24

Yeah…I’m just gonna quit there. Mistic obviously lives in an area where racism is still high. I know it exists, I just don’t think it applies to this particular situation. With that in mind, I won’t be able to convince Mistic of it unfortunately!

I tried…I failed.

• eastoaklandraider

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    ********
    Faulty logic
    ——-

How so? Saints showed that, and it will continue that way into the regular season. One thing Pryor has shown is his escapability.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Dmac2008 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 4:20 am
    I love the Chase Thomas pick-up…. With the D-line getting no pass rush, I still have no clue why we dont run a ton more of 3-4 sets. Moore and Thomas as blitzers would be nice imo. Anyone know why the Saints gave up so fast on Thomas?

————–

cuz they are pretty stacked and they can afford to get rid of a guy thats not working for them. alot of FA’s stick after a few years.

STEVIE brown bounced around two teams now he is a pro bowler even though he was a 7th round pick

Im with u on 3-4.. they should have been using burris as OLB all along

• SaintKaufman

Say what you want, but by and large his throws are very catchable.

• inonewordraider

JLofty Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:11 pm

_______________
    ?

why are you talking a raider legend going to the hall of fame, we’re trying argue whether or not are coaches are racists.

by the way it’s obvious the jets org is racist, leanin mark sanchez over geno and tebow last year, both of which have superior athletic ability

same with the browns org picking weeden over jcampbell with campbells superior arm and athleticism

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 7:56 am
    This game Friday nite will show us a ton imo.

I will be able to form an opinion on what we’ll do in the reg season (record wise, performance etc.) after this game.

From listening to how Trestman is approaching the game and the importance he’s placing on how Bears perform in the “most important preseason game” I think the game will be very telling for what we’re gonna get this season.

I think if we truly suck that it will be very evident Fri nite and vice versa.

Bears are a good team. Raiders? We know EVERYONE thinks we suck.

This game will tell us a lot imo.

I do know Chicago media will freak out if we make Bears look bad. It’s be nice if we could do that and give us a jolt of optimism for the season.

———————-

every ex raider coach wants to put up major points on us.

• DutchRaider77

__________________________________________________

You make assumptions based on other peoples’ thought processes? You are telepathic?

No, I was showing you that I could take one of your posts and point to the words you use and show that in “my culture” these words have a very negative historical context.

You have a lot of hate inside you…maybe you can talk to someone about it.

• 24

Reminds me of when we let La’Roi Glover go after drafting him in the 5th round. Then he ended up with the Saints and had a great career with them, the Cowboys and the Rams.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

JLofty Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:14 pm

=====================

far worse than jc ever was

wake me if phlegm ever post a 12-7 record or leads the raiders to 25 points a game and first place in the division

i doubt he will come close to 19 starts, 5 games tops

• the famous dr robert

24—there is a faction of “black militants” that combined with and springs from con men and hucksters, which is another subgroup that has long existed in black communities (like all others).

These guys use tricky word play to “shuck and jive” people out of money usually.

The black community came out of poverty and like most poverty stricken communities, there were lazy but smart guys with “the gift of gab” that could talk u into circles. (Similar to old west snake oil salesmen or carnival barkers).

Many of them chose straight criminal cons, while others chose pimping or even the church to bilk money out of easily fooled people.

When the Black Panthers came along, righteously trying to educate themselves and their community, there quickly came the militant huckster.

A fast talking, word twister that could get people amped up with their wordplay and tricks.

Like all con men (think fortune tellers), they play to ur weaknesses and biases.

These “examinations” of word usages and “codes” stem from truth. Certainly, there are words used that have more than one meaning.

But it gets twisted by the huckster so that EVERYTHING is coded and u NEED the huckster to decipher it for u.

This preys on the fear that there are “secrets” going in with the powers that be (think ma sons).

Missdick is a victim of these hucksters.

Go into the hood sometime and u will easily find one at a liquor store or church or I. A park trying to sell u oregano.

Strangely enuff, this tradition has been used artistically in the form of rap. Word twisting as art.

And if someone thinks this post is racist, ur wrong.

It’s all true and I’m just being blunt and straight.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:59 am

@@@@@@@

Slow O

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

78%? I guess you can’t use a calculator. lol
    8/12 is 66+%, and 8/11 is 72+%.
    SMH

• the famous dr robert

24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I tried…I failed.
    *******
    Many have

• inonewordraider

are olson and da racists? they could be

but what I do kno is that they want to win, so they’ll start whoever they think gives them the best chance to win, regardless of color

whether or not they’ll make the right decisions remains to be seen

• inonewordraider

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Missdick is a victim of these hucksters.

And if someone thinks this post is racist, ur wrong.

It’s all true and I’m just being blunt and straight.

_____
    stick to what you know, football

• the famous dr robert

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:15 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    ********
    Faulty logic
    ——-

*******
    Results of saints game?

Statistically, Flynn destroyed Pryor.

And pryors legs did nothing.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:22 pm

=================

wow.

YOU WONDER WHY PEOPLE SAY YOUR RACIST?

disgusting

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Inonewordraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:25 pm
    are olson and da racists? they could be

whether or not they’ll make the right decisions remains to be seen
    =======================

yet another post that has nothing to do with what i wrote

• Moose

When she appy dMo light up de nation u see it, when she fulla scourn ana nag manz catchin napz pun de job feelin

• eastoaklandraider

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:15 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:09 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:07 pm
    ********
    Faulty logic
    ——-

*******
    Results of saints game?

Statistically, Flynn destroyed Pryor.

And pryors legs did nothing.
    ————

ONCE AGAIN, SMALL SAMPLE SIZE.

• the famous dr robert

Inone—-I’m only “allowed” to discuss football?

These are things discussed in major universities in Afro American studies courses by people like Cornell west.

This is history.

I’m educated on the subject and as an educated man, am free to discuss well documented history intellectually.