Guy a nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, August 21st, 2013 at 11:55 am in Oakland Raiders.

Former Raiders punter Ray Guy is one of two Senior Committee nominees for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He is joined by former Eagles defensive end Claude Humphrey.
Guy played for the Raiders from 1973-86. He is regarded as one of the best punters in league history. No pure punters have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Guy was named All-Pro six straight seasons and selected to the Pro Bowl seven times during his career.
Current Raiders punter Chris Kluwe long has been outspoken about the fact no pure punters are in the hall of fame. Guy is one of the players he has pushed for enshrinement.
“He’s a guy who should be in the hall of fame because he changed the game at his position,” Kluwe said Wednesday. “Before Ray Guy, no one really tracked hang time because they didn’t understand that that was an important stat. Then they realized, ‘Oh, hey, wait a minute, this is actually helping the team a lot.’ So, if you’re any player who redefined the game at your position, that is the definition of a hall of famer by the fact that everyone knows your name. It’s great news.”
For induction, Guy and Humphrey need the same 80 percent voting support that is required of all finalists. The Hall’s Selection Committee can elect a maximum of two senior candidates and five modern-era candidates for a class no smaller than four or larger than seven.
Here’s how the HOF summed up Guy’s career:
He averaged 40 yards per punt in all but one of his 14 seasons. In 207 career games, he punted 1,049 times for 44,493 yards for a career average of 42.4 yards. He also was noted for his precision as he dropped punts inside the 20-yard-line 209 times from 1976 through his retirement after the 1986 season. Data for that statistic was not available during his first three years. Guy was named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 1970s.

• the famous dr robert

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    Is someone pathetically following me?
    LOL.
    Gosh, what were the chances?
    ********
    Look in the mirror troll.

• theghostronin79

Vic Tafur ‏@VicTafur 8m
    Allen says Watson, Branch and Sims won’t play Friday night. Watson “will get a lot of snaps against Seattle” in Week 4

• Raider Riff

So much for Doc Rob’s “apology”.

I knew it was a setup.

• Raider Riff

So much for Doc Rob’s “apology”.

I knew it was a setup.

• the famous dr robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:58 pm
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:47 pm
    24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:38 pm
    Dr Robert – I see nothing racist about your post but do you have a link or archive that could back up what you said…for the blogs sake?
    ********
    Hmm. It’s off the top of my head. Stuff I’ve learned over the years.

I’d have to look. If I have the time, I will.

There are examples of hucksterism in all communities.

I could talk about snake oil salesmen or nazis or Fagen from Oliver Twist.

Its just that missdick has been taken prey by this particular group.

It’s well known that this type of thing flourishes in black Islam. Malcom x was a criminal. He eventually saw the hypocrisy and nonsense involved with so many of the groups people, and they killed him for it.

Here’s a link about “five preventers”. They have all kinds of “coded” words and do “math”, which uses (interestingly) the English language and assigns numbers to letters and derives “meanings” from those computations.

It’s all mysterious and twisty and basically bull.

========================

slob for the love of god stop posting this insulting trash

you are not qualified to speak for anyone other than yourself.

You having never been a member of any, as you put it so called ‘black islam” group are also not qualified to speak on what they do or do not teach, or the validity of the teachings.

No on cares about your theory on Minister malcolm X, he wasnt for you.

By the way it is an established fact that the men that shot malcolm were FBI agents. same goes for MLK

this was cointelpro

now go away slob, you look retarded when you start speaking out of school with your terribly misinformed takes
    *********
    I can’t speak about black people?

U speak about white people daily.

I don’t have to be a member to speak on it from my vantage point.

U speak on so called white supremacy daily.

Hypocritical.

Besides, educated and intelligent people enjoy learning about others.

It’s clear ur not educated. Just conned.

Sorry.

• the famous dr robert

Raider Riff Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:06 pm
    So much for Doc Rob’s “apology”.

I knew it was a setup.
    *******
    Did I attack anyone?

• SR Raider

If RAY GUY makes the hall of fame I will consider it a successful year. Cmon Ray,

• J Hill

I think I’d still go with Barnes at RG and Watson at RT.

Let Bergstrom and Nix battle for LG.

Give Barron some help on passing downs. Shouldn’t miss too much in the run game with him.

• Ghosttoothepost

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:00 pm
    “You really think that’s the best thing for Pryor, right now?”

You and I are smarter than that Ghost. Get this o-line fixed then let the kid play!

No sense in throwing him out there now all he is going to do is get hit hard throw some INT’s look bad and ruin his self confidence.

Lets get this o-line fixed and then let him play so he can have a similar chance to what Wilson had last year in Seattle. He had a good o-line and great running game to support him so its all not on his shoulders.
    =================
    Yep.
    Solid olines make or break an offense.
    Zero chance of success without a solid oline.
    Doesn’t have to be great, but defenses exploit just one weakness on an oline, much less 2-3, and soon no more 7 step drops, waiting for the play to develop. No more 5 step, hoping someone clears. You have no choice but to alter the whole gameplan, just trying to keep the qb verticle.

No way Aaron Brooks was as bad as he was while here.
    Guy was getting slammed down every other play.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Please don’t feed the trolls Riff You are a smart guy and know how to eliminate this problem…

• the famous dr robert

I’m speaking intelligently on certain hot button issues.

I didn’t insult. I bent over backward to try to explain, rather than get frustrated that they don’t understand implicitly.

Unless ur referring to my response to the “troll accusations”.

Oops.

• J Hill

Barron Bergstrom Wiz Barnes Watson

• CPT DAN

espn covering our qb situation.

• the famous dr robert

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    ********
    Good football take.

Way to ignore.

• Ghosttoothepost

Raider Riff Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:06 pm
    So much for Doc Rob’s “apology”.

I knew it was a setup.
    =========
    It’s all about attention for the Racist Coward.

The Troll Mantra.

• J Hill

Wiz Barnes Watson should be a solid right side of the line.

• CPT DAN

Already over, said to go with Flynn. About 5 secs of Raider coverage.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I feel for whoever starts, which obviously it appears to be Flynn, because he’s in for a shock.”

I have been saying whoever starts at QB for us better have good disability insurance. Now with Veldheer out its even worse!

• Marks hair

couple of shots at Reggie from Cork today.. and surprised to hear him say TP should start this Friday, cuz he’s earned a shot..

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J Hill Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:09 pm
    Barron Bergstrom Wiz Barnes Watson
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I hope not.
    A bust at LT and a guy who started playing football 2 years ago at RT?

• the famous dr robert

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:10 pm
    Raider Riff Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:06 pm
    So much for Doc Rob’s “apology”.

I knew it was a setup.
    =========
    It’s all about attention for the Racist Coward.

The Troll Mantra.
    ********
    Good football post. Way to ignore.

• 24

J Hill – I was thinking Barron might be better playing at Guard. He dominates people in 1 on 1 drills. What if we start Watson at RT, move Barnes to LT and Barron to RG? Nix, Bergstrom and Gurode can battle at LG.

• Ghosttoothepost

J Hill Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    I think I’d still go with Barnes at RG and Watson at RT.

Let Bergstrom and Nix battle for LG.

================
    You have more faith in Barron than I or anyone in the Rams organization have.

Damn, he reminds me a lot of Kwame.

Same build. Same turnstyle. Same penalties.

• J Hill

Bed is made, O.

Watson is on the squad.

Might as well get his arsse in their sooner than later to see what he’s got.

• 24

Dr Robert – Just let it go man..not worth it…who is your starting 5 on the O line?

• Myopinion

I said this morning I heard a different tp in an interview(killer instinct)dont know where. I think tps been thinking too much not wanting to mess up. I heard and thought that, then he changes his number.sounds like somethings clicked. If tp plays mad and just plays, I think thats what da and olson been waiting for.
    I know, im kookoo

• Ghosttoothepost

Barron hasn’t played LT with the Rams, has he?
    I think he was a RT the whole time, or at least after his rookie season.
    He failed at RT even.
    If we have to play him at tackle, put him at right tackle. At least the qb sees the defender coming at him.

Sigh.

Obviously he’s at LT because he’s the best we have at this moment.

Scary.

another sigh.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J Hill Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    Wiz Barnes Watson should be a solid right side of the line.
    $$$$$$$$$

I don’t get it.
    Watson was out with an injury, and he started playing football 2 years ago. What makes you think he can start at RT?

• Ghosttoothepost

24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    ==========
    Good boy. Talk with yourself. Argue with yourself. Pat yourself on the back, like a good little boy.

• J Hill

I’d rather see Watson at LT than Barnes.

Whoever plays there is not going to be on Veldheer’s level and is going to need help from the TE or RB.

Might as well stick with Barron and give him some help.

• Myopinion

Did u hear him say houston looks slim and fast.

• Ghosttoothepost

Raider O Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:15 pm
    J Hill Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:11 pm
    Wiz Barnes Watson should be a solid right side of the line.
    $$$$$$$$$

I don’t get it.
    ============
    I have a feeling that we will be bringing in a whole slew of discarded tackles after cut day.
    Hallelujah.

• 24

Raider O – Watson has a lot to prove but we need him sooner than we maybe expected. There’s no guarantee but he’s gotta be thrown to the wolves at this point.

• Raider Riff

110.

Agreed. Touché.

• J Hill

What makes you think he can start at RT?

——————————————————————————

2nd rd picks are supposed to start.

I’m going to assume we drafted a guy who the coaches thought would be ready to go.

I like simple, O.

• the famous dr robert

24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    ********
    Lol. True.

Wiz, berg, nix, and Barnes are musts.

Out of Barron, Gurode, brisiel, and parsons, I’m leaning towards Gurode, due to his successful track record.

Willing to give Barron another chance.

So: Barnes/nix/wiz/Gurode/berg

But Watson is needed quckly.

Then: Barnes/berg/wiz/nix/watson

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J Hill Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    Bed is made, O.

Watson is on the squad.

Might as well get his arsse in their sooner than later to see what he’s got.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I rather have:
    Barnes, Bregstorm, Wiz, MB, Barron/ Watson.

• 24

It might be a lot to ask Watson to play LT so fast. I don’t think he’s ever played there. It’s worth a shot having him start LT during the 4th pre season game though, just to see how he handles the transition.

• J Hill

There were 5 sacks given up against the Saints in the first half.

Barron was responsible for ONE of them.

Coaches watched the film of him and trotted him right back out there. Even went on record to contradict the Rams GM and his sour grapes.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

As I said on draft day, Watson is one big azz gamble.

He has just three semesters playing the game at college level with one of those being at junior college.

Never even knew how the game worked until 2011.

He’s athletic, has the size, explosive, has great footwork but the footwork comes from playing soccer all his life and you can read scouting reports that say that he sometimes doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing.

He’s Bruce Campbell re-visited and a project.

The guy may turn out great but for now expect penalties and don’t expect him to be Art Shell overnight.

• the famous dr robert

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:15 pm
    24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:14 pm
    ==========
    **********
    Good football post.

Way not to chase people around trying to get their attention with crazy sh1t.

Good job non-troll.

• RaiderRetribution

I see Watson at LT by game three, 89% will be Ray Guy’s vote total, he will be in the HoF.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J Hill Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    What makes you think he can start at RT?

——————————————————————————

2nd rd picks are supposed to start.

I like simple, O.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Big assumption considering he started playing football 2 years ago.
    I hope you are right.

• eastoaklandraider

24 Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:01 pm
    East – Bring up a topic and let’s discuss…
    ——-

OK, I think DJ Hyden was a bad/wasted pick for us. We had already signed a corner who won a SB and added another who was a former pro bowler and on top of that we had depth with Adams, Chekwa, and Hanson behind them. Meanwhile our O line is in shambles and need the most attention. We had 2 5 star prospects staring us in the face in Lane Johnson and Chance Warmack at #3. With us going back to the PBS you need quality powerful olinemen. We only have 2 quality linemen and RM failed to realize that the direction we needed to go was oline, as a result of that we will for sure suck again this year. How will DJ make an impact if our offense is going 3 and out and putting the defense right back on the field to get tired out? The diline will be tired and teams will run it down our throats and play action off of that and burn us deep. The ripple effects of a bad oline will be felt throughout the entire team and its a shame more of us dont realize that.

• Raider Riff

119.

I saw that too.

But then again, consider the source. Cork also claimed to have thick skin. And we all know that ain’t true. Cork blocks almost as many on twitter as Kawakami.

Cork is a Bears fan. Never forget that.

• 24

You guys see how much we’re debating the offensive line? Imagine how the coaches feel right now.

How does everyone feel about the Defensive Line…

LDE – Hunter
    LDT – Sims
    RDT – Walker
    RDE – Houston

• J Hill

Scott Bair ‏@BairCSN 8m

Menelik said he took a few snaps, on the right and left. #Raiders

—————————————————————————–

Get with the program, O!!!!

• theghostronin79

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL 4m
    #Raiders coach Dennis Allen said rookie running back Latavius Murray underwent surgery on his ankle.

• Raider Riff

Why do any of you argue with Marks Hair?

He called out 2012 literally months before anyone else here.

His takes are sharp. His clarvoiyance is on record and proven.

If ur disagreeing with him, u may want to take a step back for a second.

• J Hill

—————————————————————————–

Jenkins was a pro bowler???

Look, Porter is already out. Starting to look just like last year where we had “depth” guys starting.

CB was a great pick.