Notes, quotes and observations — final day of camp

NAPA — Rookie offensive tackle Menelik Watson and linebacker Keenan Clayton returned to practice Wednesday, just in time to take part in the final on-field activities of the Napa portion of training camp.
Now it’s on to Alameda, where the Raiders will spend the rest of the season. Much remains to be done between now and the regular-season opener Sept. 8.
Even so, coach Dennis Allen and quarterback Matt Flynn, in particular, departed Napa satisfied that their time in the wine country yielded the proper harvest.
“It was a good camp,” Allen said. “Our guys came out here and worked and we got better. We got a good evaluation of what we have here in this camp right now.”
Flynn was even more emphatic and fired up over what took place here since the players first arrived four weeks ago.
“I feel like we had a really good camp,” Flynn said. “I do. We’re a different team now than we were at the start of camp on Day 1.
“We’ve made a lot of improvements, gotten used to each other, we’ve developed a lot of chemistry and I learned that there’s a big passion for the game from everyone, from the top to the bottom. I like this team, and I like the work ethic and I have big expectations for us.”

– Allen said Watson has a lot of catching up to do after missing virtually all of training camp with a calf injury. Therefore, Watson won’t play Friday night against the Chicago Bears.
“We got him a couple of reps per period,” Allen said. “Just, again, I want to ease him into it, even though he’s missed a lot of time, and he’s far behind, because he’s missed all of camp, but I want to try to make sure he’s healthy and get him ready to go and I won’t play him in the game Friday night.”
Watson worked at right offensive tackle during the media access period. That brings about the prospect of the Raiders moving Khalif Barnes to left offensive tackle to fill in for injured starter Jared Veldheer and finding someone to take Barnes’ spot on the right side.
After all, Barnes played left tackle during his four years with the Jacksonville Jaguars and the left tackle spot is the blind side tackle spot for the Raiders.
“We’ll talk about it, we’ll look at it,” Allen said. “I feel comfortable where he’s at on the right side. Anything is possible, but I don’t really anticipate a change there.”

– Veldheer spoke with the media Wednesday for the first time since he had surgery to repair a partially torn triceps.
He said the injury was somewhat of a fluke, that it came during a pass-protection drill. He added that he doesn’t feel there’s a connection between the injury and how hard he trained during the offseason. He also doesn’t feel as if he made things worse by continuing to practice for a spell afterward.
“It’s strange,” Veldheer said. “It’s not something that I’ve ever been through. First football-related procedure that I’ve ever had done. It’s disappointing, it’s tough but the only thing that I’m focused on now is putting all my attention into getting after it and rehabbing and getting back on the field.”
He said he intends to play again this season. He won’t have a firm timetable for his potential return until he goes in for a follow-up appointment next week.

– Allen said that strong safety Tyvon Branch and defensive tackle Pat Sims likely won’t play Friday against the Bears.
Branch has been bothered by sore hips. Sims has missed most of camp with a leg injury of some sort.
Defensive tackle Vance Walker also has missed considerable time this camp with an undisclosed injury. He is slated to make his Raiders debut Friday night.

– Alex Barron is your starting left offensive tackle Friday night for the second straight game since Veldheer went down with his injury.
That doesn’t mean that he’ll be the starting tackle for the regular-season opener. In fact, Allen said, the Raiders always are on the look out for players that can provide an upgrade.
“You’re always looking for ways to improve your football team, so we’re going to continue to watch and see what comes across the waiver wire and what else is out there, and if there’s somebody that we feel like gives us a better chance, then we’ll make those moves,” Allen said.

– Several people asked during the live chat today for an assessment of linebacker Chase Thomas. Well, given the media weren’t permitted access to much of the proceedings today, we’ll turn to Allen for his take.
“Obviously, with J.T. (Jason Tarver, defensive coordinator) having some experience with him from Stanford, that was an obvious plus,” Allen said. “He’s got some power, some strength, does a pretty good job as an on-the-line, line of scrimmage linebacker setting edges and doing stuff like that. He was a guy that we felt like could come in, learn the system pretty quickly and really be thrown into the fire fairly quickly.”

– As of now, it’s conceivable that linebacker Sio Moore will be the only one of the 10 players selected by the Raiders in the NFL draft in April in the starting lineup against the Indianapolis Colts in the season-opening game.
In fact, it’s possible that Moore will be the only one of 16 players drafted by general manager Reggie McKenzie during his two years at the helm to be among the 22 starters against the Colts.
That doesn’t mean the Raiders didn’t find some talented players with the potential to help out in some capacity this season and potentially start at some point.
“I’ve been pleased,” Allen said of this year’s draft class. “Really, from top to bottom, we have brought in some talented players. They’ve all made progress throughout this camp. They still have a long way to go, they still have a lot of improving they have to do. The fortunate thing for us is they still have two more preseason games to really evaluate them and to see if they’re worthy of being on the team.”

– Fortunately for this year’s draft class, whether they make the 53-man roster isn’t tied to their performance in the rookie show that teams typically put on during a night out in camp. For the Raiders, that took place earlier this week.
“They were terrible,” Allen said. “In 12 years of NFL football, it was the worst rookie show I’ve seen. A couple of good skits. D.J. has a little talent, Sio Moore has a little bit of talent but overall very disappointed. I’m glad we’re not evaluating them on their rookie show ability.”

– If you’re looking for the next Rod Streater, a player that makes the quantum leap from undrafted free agent to instant impact player, keep looking.
Allen said he was impressed by several such players during camp this season, but none matched the production of Streater last season, when he went from an unheard of player out of Temple to a starting receiver in the opener.

– Quarterback Terrelle Pryor is seeking to become the fourth player to don No. 2 in a regular-season game for the Raiders.
He switched from the No. 6 he wore his first two seasons with the Raiders to No. 2. Punter Leo Araguz and quarterbacks Aaron Brooks and JaMarcus Russell are the only other players to wear that number in a regular-season game before.
Pryor, of course, wore No. 2 at Ohio State. When he signed with the Raiders in 2011, he checked into the prospect of wearing No. 2.
Here’s what Pryor had to say at the time, when he broached the topic with then-coach Hue Jackson: “Coach won’t let me wear No. 2. Why? I don’t know. You tell me. I’m just going off what coach tells me.”

– Allen said it’s possible that all four quarterbacks will see action against the Bears.
Projected starting players tend to play the most in their team’s third exhibition game. So, that means Flynn likely will play one half, if not a tad more, then be relieved by Pryor. Undrafted rookie Matt McGloin will take over for Pryor for the third straight game, Allen said, with fourth-round pick Tyler Wilson mopping up.

Steve Corkran

• logic82

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:20 am

SpudRaider Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:06 am
    I’m Sorry 539 but question like

“I have a question. Would SF have gone from 5-11 to 13-3 and within a fumble of the SB in one year with a DA as coach?” I find absurd.

I have a question if Napoleon had one dude with an M-16 at Waterloo would we have won?

The point I was trying to make is in regard to DA’s ability as a HC. If he had the kind of talent Harbaugh had/has could he get similar results.

If it is “absurd” to suggest that he does, or if it’s assumed that there is huge gap between his ability and Harbaugh’s then maybe he wasn’t the right choice to lead the Raiders out of the doldrums.

Maybe I didn’t word the question as clear as I would have liked.
    =============================================
    Many of the personnel decisions were made because of the rookie status of the people doing the hiring. RM hired DA primarily to ensure he had a yes man. He was not going to get an established coach who would challenge him and his MO. DA was/is clueless so it worked great from that standpoint. He kept Seymour so that Seymour could give DA his stamp of approval and pre-empt an early mutiny by the troops. Didn’t quite work because McClain went off on him but it was pretty successful. And Seymour was paid off with no TC, no practices, and an 8 game season. DA hired Tarver for the same reason. He had to have someone who was willingly subordinate. Same with Knapp. The Flynns and Lienarts are gotten to pad stats, certainly not for any long range or even immediate, results in terms of winning. The first semi successful coach we get does what? He proclaims I’m not just an assistant coach but I’m assistant Head coach. This is RM CYAing and Soprano flexing a bit of muscle, flaccid though it may be.

A lot of politics is being played right now and very little real football. And that’s kinda ok because this year is a throwaway year also be it through sheer ineptitude or by design- I honestly don’t know which. But next year all the BS has got to be thrown out and the business of real football better begin.

• guest123

@ DJ Johnny,

I saw what you saw. There wasn’t much of a hole but it was there, and all DMC had to do was ACCELERATE thru the hole, rather than stand, stutter step, watch the pocket collapse and him go backward. It’s almost like the ZBS one cut and go concept. DMC has no vision, no fight. He seems to expect to make his cut only if he sees the gaping hole. what a bum!

• dplunk

In all fairness to Reggie:..I don’t think there were a lot of experienced GM’s lining up for the Raiders job..the Raiders were really in shambles across the board when Reggie took over.

• The_Judge37

703.dplunk Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:14 am
    ——

Well like with Reggie only interviewing a small number of people for HC, Mark Davis did the same and pretty much gave the job to the 1st man who’d take it.

• guest123

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:11 am
    It’s like we’ve seen so many times with this guy, DMAC ran smack dab into the ONE GUY (on the 4th and inches) who had any prayer of stopping him.

************

ZERO vision. so predictable. teams study his tendencies. They meet him at his break.

• DJ Johnny

703, Dplunk, I do remember at the same time we were looking for a GM that Chicago was as well and there was a lot of talk on radio (in Chi.) of wanting McKenzie.

Part of that was him being from their rival in GB as well as the success they were having in the league and especially against the Bears.

Reggie was almost universally viewed as a solid hire for us.

• the famous dr robert

DMc is a memory.

I want Reece/Jennings.

I was going Murray might give us something due to his all around game and blocking. But that’s unlikely I guess. At least for a while.

• BOKNOWS

Ricardo Lockett just waived by whiners……Reggie sign this guy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• inonewordraider

cornerstones:

oline: veldheer wiz barnes
    te’s: kasa rivera
    rb’s: murray
    qb’s:
    wr’s: streater butler
    dline: Houston
    lb’s: roach moore burris
    db’s: hayden Jenkins
    s: branch

if healthy we’re really only a qb and a rde away from being very competitive, #1 wr wouldn’t hurt either

you never know with qb’s in the draft, but we can definitely fill all the other holes next year

• DJ Johnny

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:21 am
    DMc is a memory.

I want Reece/Jennings.

Yeah. Murray going down is disappointing.

Unfortunately, DMAC may be a memory that keeps recurring since we get to watch him run into people for a while longer.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

The_Judge37 Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:17 am
    703.dplunk Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:14 am
    ——

=======================================

Mark only interviewed Reggie, in part because Ron Wolf basically told him “He’s your guy.”

Reggie interviewed a bunch of people for HC: Todd Bowles, Pete Carmichael, Marty Morhninweg, Dom Capers, DA, and Winston Moss. Mike McCoy pulled out after stupidly assuming he’d get the Dolphins job, and Mike Tice was on the docket before DA was hired.

• r8eray

Andre Johnson for (I’ll be getting) Alfred Morris

*Lost L.Bell to Lisfranc my only other back worth sh!t are Reece and Sproles.

What you guys think?

wr’s: streater butler
    dline: Houston
    lb’s: roach moore burris
    db’s: hayden Jenkins
    s: branch

• guest123

DMC has as much future on this franchise as Matt Flynn. In fact, you could say their fates are tied at the hip.

• r8eray

*PPR

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

If anyone’s interested, the Deadspin Cardinal-bashing article is up. They talk quite a bit about Palmer. My favorite reader comment:

“When I found out we signed Palmer, I threw my phone in disgust, and it was immediately picked off and run back for a touchdown.”

• DJ Johnny

BRW: I hope like heck some of u guys can yell at me and say “I told u so” after DMAC starts averaging 5 ypc and starts breaking long runs…and starts catching passes for td’s instead of dropping them, and starts running for 1st downs on short yardage..and…well u get the picture.

I’ll heartily eat the crow…and add some mustard to it.

• DJ Johnny

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:28 am

…and I was gonna send you a “Palmer Rules” t-shirt in the mail. I guess u don’t want it.

• Bigmike34

Inonewordraider

Luckly we have a better QB then the team has had in Years…Well Schooled…Knows the trade how to manage the game on the field….Deadly accurate Passer….

How can you go wrong, with Flynn, when in one of the Few Games he was able to Start at Green Bay playing behind Aaron Rodgers…. He was able to set the records for Passing yards in a GB game at 480 yards and TDs Passing in a GB game at 6…

ISN’T THIS WHAT WE WANT FOR THE RAIDERS QB….Don’t listen to the Fools who Jabber on and on about Pryor.

• logic82

Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush) Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 10:03 am

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 9:54 am
    Whoknows Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 9:29 am

Interesting that they say Reggie won’t build much thru free agency but rather by developing his own players like they did in GB.

Then they quote Reggie saying “When I got to GB we didn’t have many studs and it wasn’t until we got Brett Favre and Reggie White that things started to take off”.

Favre was NOT “developed” from inside the GB org. and Reggie White was one of the biggest FA signings in NFL history.

So…Reggie will build from within as his credo for success but admits that it was only through picking up a FREE AGENT in Favre and the biggest splash in free agency history in White that was the impetus for the team to become a force in the league?
    —————————-
    I want to believe in Reg but stuff like this really makes me question him.
    ==============================
    I LMAO on this one. Develop players? Are you serious? Lately, it’s been cut em all and let NE decide.” Just who has this team developed? Streater? Really? Streater would be lucky to make special teams on a decent team. The only players on this team that are NFL approved are Woodson, Houston, Veldy, Reece, Jano, and probably Branch. Not Wiz, certainly not Burris, not Moore, certainly not Streater, not even DMAC due to perennial injury. Even if we somehow get Clowney, DA is going to coach Clowney? That’s like taking a Lamborghini and then having a bus driver use it to plow frozen fields in Siberia. It would be a crime against humanity.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:30 am
    Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:28 am

====================================

Thanks, but the only football gear I wear either the Oakland Raiders or the Oregon Ducks. However: I may begin to make an except for two Arena teams: The Arizona Rattlers and the LA Kiss.

• guest123

r8eray Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:26 am
    Andre Johnson for (I’ll be getting) Alfred Morris

**********

Do that deal. definitely since you lost Bell.

• dplunk

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:20 am

Reggie was almost universally viewed as a solid hire for us.
    —————————————————–
    @DJ Johnny 706.
    I hear ya..Is Reggie mac “King Midas”?..of course not. No successful GM ever batted a thousand.., but Reggie has to be given some credit for stopping the bleeding; at least where the salary cap is concerned.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Anyone who says GB didn’t develop Favre doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Favre had two appearances pre-Packers and went 0-4 with two INTs.

• DJ Johnny

Worst thing is to finish like 5-11 or something. More wins than last yr so DA gets high fives, the team with one more win seems “on the right track” since “progress” has been made (however little) and we miss out on Clowney as well as any other top qb.

• the famous dr robert

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:26 am
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:21 am
    DMc is a memory.

I want Reece/Jennings.

Yeah. Murray going down is disappointing.

********
    This is my fear. We lose games while they keep sending him out there.

I hope DA has a very short leash.

If he’s any good, he doesn’t need 20 carries to prove it.

Give him 5-10. If he sucks, yank him.

• DJ Johnny

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:36 am

I corrected myself on the not developing Favbre thing. I meant simply he was acquired from another team and didn’t come straight from the GB ‘system’.

• DJ Johnny

726, Rob I agree definitely.

• dplunk

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:37 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That is exactly my biggest fear

• Bigmike34

DJ Jonny

Holmgren had gone to GB and did play a big part in developing Brett Favre

• logic82

dplunk Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:44 am

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 11:37 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Makes me nauseous just thinking about it.

Like I said next year is RM’s year to shine. He has to. He has been given a huge amount of rope. People praise him for getting rid of the bad contracts but that’s a no-brainer. He had to do that. The head scratcher is why didn’t he do that his 1st year? But he’s forgiven. Then -from a 2013 perspective- he has a horrible draft. May have been by design. We will see. So we give him another pass.

However what really puts his rear end on the line is his supposed skill at picking diamonds in the rough. He has missed out twice on bargain basement top flight talent, there for the taking and dirt cheap. He missed out on Burfict last year. He missed out on Mathiaue(?) this year. Well some will say they were cheap because they were trouble. Well broken necks, broken knees, and broken hearts are all just as much “trouble”. If your are going to take the choirboy approach and summarily dismiss almost a, conservative, third of the talent pool, you damn well better be hitting on all cylinders with your picks.

• Bigmike34

Dplunk

Seattle did not fire their GM for either Acquiring Flynn nor for trading him to the Raiders…

He is probably the very BEST GM in the business….and he and Carroll work extremely well together….Look how far Seattle has come since naming him their GM 3 years ago.. He is Fantastic at what he does.

• nycraider

RM so far 1 starter out of 16 draft picks on probably the worst roster on paper. His big free agent signing who he gave a 20 mil contract was callled the biggest ol free agent bust in last 2 years.
    RM has alot to prove

• nycraider

Reggie not gonna draft Clowney, he will Draft a QB. That will get him at least another 2 years to rebuild

• guest123