Notes, quotes and observations — final day of camp

NAPA — Rookie offensive tackle Menelik Watson and linebacker Keenan Clayton returned to practice Wednesday, just in time to take part in the final on-field activities of the Napa portion of training camp.
Now it’s on to Alameda, where the Raiders will spend the rest of the season. Much remains to be done between now and the regular-season opener Sept. 8.
Even so, coach Dennis Allen and quarterback Matt Flynn, in particular, departed Napa satisfied that their time in the wine country yielded the proper harvest.
“It was a good camp,” Allen said. “Our guys came out here and worked and we got better. We got a good evaluation of what we have here in this camp right now.”
Flynn was even more emphatic and fired up over what took place here since the players first arrived four weeks ago.
“I feel like we had a really good camp,” Flynn said. “I do. We’re a different team now than we were at the start of camp on Day 1.
“We’ve made a lot of improvements, gotten used to each other, we’ve developed a lot of chemistry and I learned that there’s a big passion for the game from everyone, from the top to the bottom. I like this team, and I like the work ethic and I have big expectations for us.”

– Allen said Watson has a lot of catching up to do after missing virtually all of training camp with a calf injury. Therefore, Watson won’t play Friday night against the Chicago Bears.
“We got him a couple of reps per period,” Allen said. “Just, again, I want to ease him into it, even though he’s missed a lot of time, and he’s far behind, because he’s missed all of camp, but I want to try to make sure he’s healthy and get him ready to go and I won’t play him in the game Friday night.”
Watson worked at right offensive tackle during the media access period. That brings about the prospect of the Raiders moving Khalif Barnes to left offensive tackle to fill in for injured starter Jared Veldheer and finding someone to take Barnes’ spot on the right side.
After all, Barnes played left tackle during his four years with the Jacksonville Jaguars and the left tackle spot is the blind side tackle spot for the Raiders.
“We’ll talk about it, we’ll look at it,” Allen said. “I feel comfortable where he’s at on the right side. Anything is possible, but I don’t really anticipate a change there.”

– Veldheer spoke with the media Wednesday for the first time since he had surgery to repair a partially torn triceps.
He said the injury was somewhat of a fluke, that it came during a pass-protection drill. He added that he doesn’t feel there’s a connection between the injury and how hard he trained during the offseason. He also doesn’t feel as if he made things worse by continuing to practice for a spell afterward.
“It’s strange,” Veldheer said. “It’s not something that I’ve ever been through. First football-related procedure that I’ve ever had done. It’s disappointing, it’s tough but the only thing that I’m focused on now is putting all my attention into getting after it and rehabbing and getting back on the field.”
He said he intends to play again this season. He won’t have a firm timetable for his potential return until he goes in for a follow-up appointment next week.

– Allen said that strong safety Tyvon Branch and defensive tackle Pat Sims likely won’t play Friday against the Bears.
Branch has been bothered by sore hips. Sims has missed most of camp with a leg injury of some sort.
Defensive tackle Vance Walker also has missed considerable time this camp with an undisclosed injury. He is slated to make his Raiders debut Friday night.

– Alex Barron is your starting left offensive tackle Friday night for the second straight game since Veldheer went down with his injury.
That doesn’t mean that he’ll be the starting tackle for the regular-season opener. In fact, Allen said, the Raiders always are on the look out for players that can provide an upgrade.
“You’re always looking for ways to improve your football team, so we’re going to continue to watch and see what comes across the waiver wire and what else is out there, and if there’s somebody that we feel like gives us a better chance, then we’ll make those moves,” Allen said.

– Several people asked during the live chat today for an assessment of linebacker Chase Thomas. Well, given the media weren’t permitted access to much of the proceedings today, we’ll turn to Allen for his take.
“Obviously, with J.T. (Jason Tarver, defensive coordinator) having some experience with him from Stanford, that was an obvious plus,” Allen said. “He’s got some power, some strength, does a pretty good job as an on-the-line, line of scrimmage linebacker setting edges and doing stuff like that. He was a guy that we felt like could come in, learn the system pretty quickly and really be thrown into the fire fairly quickly.”

– As of now, it’s conceivable that linebacker Sio Moore will be the only one of the 10 players selected by the Raiders in the NFL draft in April in the starting lineup against the Indianapolis Colts in the season-opening game.
In fact, it’s possible that Moore will be the only one of 16 players drafted by general manager Reggie McKenzie during his two years at the helm to be among the 22 starters against the Colts.
That doesn’t mean the Raiders didn’t find some talented players with the potential to help out in some capacity this season and potentially start at some point.
“I’ve been pleased,” Allen said of this year’s draft class. “Really, from top to bottom, we have brought in some talented players. They’ve all made progress throughout this camp. They still have a long way to go, they still have a lot of improving they have to do. The fortunate thing for us is they still have two more preseason games to really evaluate them and to see if they’re worthy of being on the team.”

– Fortunately for this year’s draft class, whether they make the 53-man roster isn’t tied to their performance in the rookie show that teams typically put on during a night out in camp. For the Raiders, that took place earlier this week.
“They were terrible,” Allen said. “In 12 years of NFL football, it was the worst rookie show I’ve seen. A couple of good skits. D.J. has a little talent, Sio Moore has a little bit of talent but overall very disappointed. I’m glad we’re not evaluating them on their rookie show ability.”

– If you’re looking for the next Rod Streater, a player that makes the quantum leap from undrafted free agent to instant impact player, keep looking.
Allen said he was impressed by several such players during camp this season, but none matched the production of Streater last season, when he went from an unheard of player out of Temple to a starting receiver in the opener.

– Quarterback Terrelle Pryor is seeking to become the fourth player to don No. 2 in a regular-season game for the Raiders.
He switched from the No. 6 he wore his first two seasons with the Raiders to No. 2. Punter Leo Araguz and quarterbacks Aaron Brooks and JaMarcus Russell are the only other players to wear that number in a regular-season game before.
Pryor, of course, wore No. 2 at Ohio State. When he signed with the Raiders in 2011, he checked into the prospect of wearing No. 2.
Here’s what Pryor had to say at the time, when he broached the topic with then-coach Hue Jackson: “Coach won’t let me wear No. 2. Why? I don’t know. You tell me. I’m just going off what coach tells me.”

– Allen said it’s possible that all four quarterbacks will see action against the Bears.
Projected starting players tend to play the most in their team’s third exhibition game. So, that means Flynn likely will play one half, if not a tad more, then be relieved by Pryor. Undrafted rookie Matt McGloin will take over for Pryor for the third straight game, Allen said, with fourth-round pick Tyler Wilson mopping up.

Steve Corkran

• Raider8

Cripes Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:06 pm
    Cripes Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:05 pm
    I’m in a angry mood cuz my mommy didn’t bring my dinner down into the basement for me. Sheeez.

**************************************

later dik head!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    This guy just called himself a dikhead.

He forgot to switch handles before insulting himself.

• Whoknows

The usual morning hippie speedball, Breakfast of Champions.

• DJ Johnny

SpudRaider Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:06 am
    I’m Sorry 539 but question like

“I have a question. Would SF have gone from 5-11 to 13-3 and within a fumble of the SB in one year with a DA as coach?” I find absurd.

I have a question if Napoleon had one dude with an M-16 at Waterloo would we have won?

The point I was trying to make is in regard to DA’s ability as a HC. If he had the kind of talent Harbaugh had/has could he get similar results.

If it is “absurd” to suggest that he does, or if it’s assumed that there is huge gap between his ability and Harbaugh’s then maybe he wasn’t the right choice to lead the Raiders out of the doldrums.

Maybe I didn’t word the question as clear as I would have liked.

• DJ Johnny

Raider8 Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:12 am
    Cripes Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:06 pm
    Cripes Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:05 pm

**************************************

later dik head!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++
    This guy just called himself a dikhead.

He forgot to switch handles before insulting himself.

I think Cripes is our old pal Norco Bob/Amy’s in Charge.

• willy91137

Prior wanted number 2 when he got here and AL told him we don’t use that number

I guess Russell was still on his mind prior war number 2 in college

• DJ Johnny

A little bit on Chi. radio this morning about Michael Bush returning to Oakland and Nick Roach facing his old team.

• Whoknows

SpudRaider Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:06 am
    I’m Sorry 539 but question like

*****************************************
    No and no. Not enough brains or bullets respectively.

• DJ Johnny

dplunk Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:00 am
    The one thing Mark Davis has been adamant about is he wants to see improvement with the sense that things are headed in the right direction..I think that’s all Raider fans can ask/hope for as well..Not only that there’s hope for the players, but for the coaches well.

I know a lot of you guys are very much against our owner getting involved in chastising the coaches etc. but after that 34-10 disaster at Cincy last yr. I was glad Mark had said what he did to DA: “It’s not good enough”.

I know Reggie and DA had a lot of “excuses” for being bad last yr but I like that Mark keeps the pressure on them.

It’s not so much the score of the game but just how horribly prepared the team seemed and that falls back on the HC somewhat.

The team seemed so outmatched, nervous, shaky and dare I say “scared”?

It’s good they know that hey…I know you don’t have the ammo right now but THAT was unacceptable.

• SpudRaider

Hey 552 its Ex-hippie/Granola, and that was because– well I liked weed and easy women(who had to much trust fund money & daddy issues) in college. Being one I am a fan of Kirk Vonnegaut who coined the phrase “Breakfast of Champions.” So Mister Whoknow what is the “Breakfast of Champions?”

• willy91137

SpudRaider Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:06 am
    I’m Sorry 539 but question like

*****************************************
    No and no. Not enough brains or bullets respectively.
    ********************************************
    I don’t know if you’ve noticed or not the 49ers have a very very good defense
    and DA knows defense
    they got two first-round picks on their offense of line Napoleon at Waterloo that is funny

• guest123

bcz24 Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:12 am
    Flynn = more tarps. Pryor = less tarps.
    *************
    Tarps can neither be added nor removed during the season.

***********

spoken like a physics prof explaining the 3rd law of thermodynamics. well done!

• willy91137

I do not care who plays quarterback I want to see this team improve

want to see us be in games until the end if we lose I do not want to see blowouts

I want to see us come out in the second half with some changes made

• SpudRaider

DJ Johnny no disrespect intended on the “absurd” part maybe on a Friday night after a few I’d say good question dude. And I did get the underlying meaning of the question. But even on a Friday night the answer would be an endless who knows, who knows, who knows….

• Whoknows

SpudRaider Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:32 am
    ************************
    I was talking about the bowl I justed smoked and the cup of coffee I washed it down with.
    I really don’t know what you are going on about but Breakfast of Champions is a book, I read it about 30 yrs ago, really don’t remember much.

• Whoknows

I don’t know if you’ve noticed or not the 49ers have a very very good defense
    and DA knows defense
    ********************
    We were told DA knows defense. Where is your proof?

• SpudRaider

guest123 “spoken like a physics prof explaining the 3rd law of thermodynamics. well done!”

Actually it the 1st Law

1. Can’t Win — create or destroy matter
    2. Can’t tie
    3. Can’t quit playing the game.

• guest123

So bleak SpudRaider so bleak!

• SpudRaider

Who Knows– in the Book it’s a Martini

• SpudRaider

Gueswt123— blame God not me

• guest123

Well if this ship is the titanic, I want to be one of the violinsts playing a happy tune while the ship upends and sinks in the ocean.

Cheers gentlemen! Been an honor and a priviledge!

• Whoknows

SpudRaider Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:47 am
    Who Knows– in the Book it’s a Martini
    **************************
    In my life it is weed and coffee. You know stimulant and relaxant, as in cocaine and heroin.

• guest123

SpudRaider Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:47 am
    Gueswt123— blame God not me

********

never blame God, ever.

• DJ Johnny

563, I got ya Spud. No prob.

• The Big Banana

Guest123 Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:48 am

———

Lol!

• dplunk

a pre-season game with young players facing Drew Brees and a juiced up N.O crowd could be forgiven: but if the Raiders come out and “lay an egg” in front of their home crowd; that would be very disappointing.

• SpudRaider

Guest123 — Sorry no disrespect meant to your beliefs. I’m a practicing Utilitarian– I believe in the spiritual and everyone’s right to find their own way of expressing it.

salute an NBA legend. best guard in the league for 10+ years

Allen Iverson is prepared to officially announce his retirement from the NBA in the coming days, a source close to the native of Virginia told SLAM….

“He loves his fans more than anyone,” says the source. “He loves how they ask for his return constantly, on the streets and on the Internet. But now that they know it’s not happening, he can just focus on his future endeavors.”

• DJ Johnny

SpudRaider Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:52 am

“Religion is a snare and a racket”.

-Charles Taze Russell.

• guest123

dplunk Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:50 am

*********

I don’t know if they can disappoint anybody. It’s not like anyone has any assumptions that this is a playoff team. Right? So that has to take some of the weight off their shoulders.

The new mantra is “compete”. Not “win”. Welcome to the new era, where everyone gets a trophy.

“Just Compete Baby!”

Iverson will be a Hall of Famer, and he should be on his first ballot in 2015. The 11-time All-Star averaged 26.7 points, 6.2 assists and 2.2 steals a game in his 13-year career. He helped lead the Sixers to the NBA Finals in 2001.

Watching the 6’0” Iverson fearlessly slice his way into the lane and find ways to score among the forest of trees in the NBA paint was one of the most amazing things I have witnessed in the game. There have been few players ever as dynamic and as entertaining as Iverson.

But it was off the court where Iverson’s impact was really felt — he was the first to bring a hip-hop culture, a real street look to the game. Young African-Americans related to him in a way they did not with other stars — he looked like a guy from the neighborhood. He in a lot of ways paved the way for players to be themselves off the court, something with social media today’s players have taken to new heights.

If he does make it official, it’s not really shocking, but it is a good time to reflect on one of the best and most exciting guards to play the game. We miss his game. Few people overcame the obstacles he did to star in the league, and he will forever be the favorite for many.

• Whoknows

BTW Spud, I think it was Wheaties that coined the phrase “Breakfast of Champions”.

• RaiderIN.260

…B.O.C=buweiser
    cant partake in the bud-job

• guest123

lol @ Alan Iverson. How long since he’s actually played, you know, an actual NBA game. To call out his “retirement”.

That kind of reminds me of Donavan McNabb’s retirement, or Barry Bonds, or Terrell Owens. Sad when people don’t know they are officially done and still living the dream.

@G123

quit being disrespectful

• SpudRaider

Whoknows —I’m sure your right I was just playing off the whole Hippie thing. If you were a Hippie where I went to College Vonnegaut was required reading for the major.

• dplunk

dplunk Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:50 am

*********

“Just Compete Baby!”
    ——————————————————-
    You just validated my statement If they “lay an egg” ie. “don’t compete”, then that would be disapointing.

• RaiderIN.260

long time reader occasional poster. don’t care WHO the qb is simply wanna win. either qb/rb is only gonna be as successful as the o-line allows. longing for the dominate lines of old!! seeing Bergs get stood up an bent over backwards is not a good sign

• guest123

So wins don’t matter anymore. we are grading on a curve? what’s the criteria for pass/fail on the “competition scale”. If we lose by less then 10 pts, is that considered a “win”.

Pardon the questions, I’m just trying to understand the new sliding scale.

I wish they graded me on a curve when I went to school!

• dplunk

Reggie and DA knows; good and damn well that their jobs are on the line, so if DA says Flynn is the guy to “hang our hats on”; Who am I to second guess?

• The_Judge37

dplunk Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:50 am
    ——-

#RevokeThePass2013

• guest123

If we “compete” enough, maybe we’ll one day earn the moniker of “those plucky Raiders”.

yeah, not so much like “pride & poise” or “commitment to excellence” or “Just win baby” I know.

compete boys, compete!

• guest123

these are not your fathers Raiders.

• SpudRaider

Friday night is going to be a tough game. I think we have a small to no chance to win–But preseason games are like practicing kissing with your cousin when your 12. They Kinda count but really don’t.

Victory will be we don’t lose one of our QB’s or a running back.

• inonewordraider

allen iverseon in the hof?

i don’t know about that, he was exciting sure, but
    lot’s of players during his era i’d put ahead of him:

kobe
    Duncan
    garnett
    nash
    nowitzki
    wade
    pierce
    allen
    shaq
    kidd

• bcz24

never blame God, ever.
    ***************
    Unless hellfire and brimstone rain down from above…

• DJ Johnny

The_Judge37 Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 9:06 am
    dplunk Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:50 am
    ——-

#RevokeThePass2013

What’s disappointing to me is there were opportunities to be very competitive in the Saints game despite the sacks and the whole not being able to stop Brees thing.

-Flynn missing WIDE OPEN (by 25 yd’s) Mastrud for a sure TD.

-DMAC running into defender on the 4th and inches when if he had picked the CORRECT hole (gap) he may have scored a TD. The breakdown of that ill fated play shows that. Someone had posted a link to the breakdown of that play.

DMAC just keeps running into piles instead of choosing the CORRECT holes. This has been going on for waaaaay too long.

• guest123

If Iverson makes the HOF, then basketball’s HOF is a sham, much like baseball’s HOF. One trip to the finals and got swept. Never was a player that made anyone around him good. There a ton of players just like him that came and gone from the league. He’s just a guy.

• dplunk

IDK where all this talk about a friday night victory, or death is coming from. the way the Raiders play, and execute is the most important thing obviously.

@Inonewordraider

yes, Iverson #HOF

it doesn’t matter what you silly Laker fans think.. he was the best guard when he played

PERIOD

• The_Judge37

guest123 Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 9:13 am
    ——-

BBall HOF is already easier to get into than Gloria James, but Iverson deserves it. He was damm good. And they won ONE game in those Finals when the Lakers swept everyone in the west.