Halftime: Bears 27, Raiders 3

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 at 8:49 pm in Oakland Raiders.

– The Bears outgained the Raiders 252-92 in the first half, getting 14 first downs to four for Oakland. Cutler completed 12 of 21 passes for 142 yards, a 32-yard touchdown pass to Forte and no interceptions. Forte also gained 76 yards on six carries before taking the rest of the night off.

– Running back Rashad Jennings got plenty of first-half work with McFadden sitting it out, carrying 10 times for 29 yards _ and 15 of those came on the Raiders’ first play from scrimmage.

– Tight end Mychal Rivera had the biggest play in the half for the Raiders, catching a 26-yard pass from Pryor on the Raiders’ last drive which resulted in a 50-yard field goal off the dirt by Janikowski.

– Tough first half for rookie linebacker Sio Moore, who was called for an illegal block in the back on a special teams play and on one blitz found himself completely walled off by left tackle Jermon Bushrod.

– Former Raider running back Michael Bush, who scored on runs of 1 and 10 yards in the first half, spent time talking with McFadden, Tyvon Branch, Jon Condo and Jacoby Ford during pregame warm-ups.

The Bears are coached by former Raiders offensive coordinator Marc Trestman, who hired Aaron Kromer and Skip Peete, also former Raiders assistants, to be his offensive coordinator and running backs coach, respectively.

– Return specialist Josh Cribbs, who has struggled in the preseason, mishandled the opening kickoff before picking it up and getting out to the 20-yard line. On the Bears’ second kickoff, Cribbs fumbled while in a middle return but the ball was recovered by the Raiders.

Ford got the call on the next kickoff, and exploded for a 62-yard return down the right sideline.

– Stefen Wisniewski was the long-snapper to Marquette King when the Raiders punted on their opening possession, with coach Dennis Allen making good on his promise to have someone other than Jon Condo do the long-snapping during the preseason.

• Kirk

romania Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:05 pm
    Gee, glad that “Doc Bop” is finally gonna watch the game. Maybe then he’ll just shut up, and learn a little humility. Man he has a big ego to go along with his fast typing fingers.

Pryor is something else. That’s a cliche, but he really IS something else! When he’s out there, you hold your breath. Seems like that’s the same thing that’s happening on the field. The guy is very inspirational. No love for the first 2 years from the staff. Zero. Like when Harrison Ford was asked about what he thought when asked and nauseum about “the force”. He said “Force yourself!”

Pryor worked his butt off and grabbed and scratched to get better. Took his old #2 and said who cares about Jafatass. He creates magic out there, and opens up the field giving the rest of the team opportunities.

Isn’t this why we watch sports? To get a chance every once in a while to see the magic? Otherwise, we might just be looking at a bunch of computer graphics. Don’t we have enough of that already in our lives?

The defense? …………oye! At least Pryor can keep them off the field more often than not.
    ……………………………………………

Pryor is a franchise quarterback.

Now go gets some offensive linemen!

• the famous dr robert

U guys think ten passes means a guy who has always sucked is ready to start over a guy who has always been good.

Like I said. Reactionary retards.

• Cervantes74

JB Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:08 pm

CLARIFICATION: There is NOT a QB controversy. There IS a QB deficit. Selecting between good & bad is not the same thing as picking between bad & worse. We need a franchise QB. I like TP2 but think he’ll make a great change of pace, specialty type, back-up QB. But he alone is NOT going to take any team to the SB.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So now let’s downgrade TP’s performance by saying that he won’t take a team to the SB.

TP gives a fan base that has had NO HOPE, something to see. Can this kid get better?

He’s a proven worker with rare athletic gifts who wants it.

That’s a bet I’ll take 10 times out of 10.

• Kirk

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Like I said. Reactionary retards.
    …………………………………………….

touchdowns are all that matters.

Against Detroit…………threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third.
    Against San Diego……..threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third.
    Against Dallas……………ran for a touchdown, could of run for one more.
    Against New Orleans….ran for a touchdown in only two series.
    Against Chicago………….threw for one touchdown, ran for another.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 10:44 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Raider Riff Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 10:25 pm
    572.

oak, admit it, u regret aligning yourself with the Flynnchmob.

@@@@@@@@

For me, it’s been more about aligning myself against most of the Pryor brigade. I’ve never been a Flynn guy.

I know I spew my share of nasty crap around here, especially when I’ve had a few. But I have no doubt in my mind that the Flynn supporters r more open minded, and less bitter and hating than the Pryor campaign. That’s why I land on that side of the fence. That, and the fact that I still don’t think Pryor can throw.

But he’s getting better. And I’m psyched about that. But I’ll never join the Pryor campaign. I’ll root for him if he’s our starting QB. But I won’t align w the dark side. There’s enough hate, smugness and ignorance in this world. Don’t need it here too.
    ———–
    So you’re NOT going to back the Raider qb, saying it’s the dark side?

You’re not a Raider fan.

You’re an idiot.

====

So by your logic if last season you:

- Didn’t back Palmer
    - Didn’t back Giordino
    - Didn’t back Smith at RT
    - Didn’t back Briesel
    - Didn’t back McClain before he got cut
    - Didn’t back DA
    - Didn’t back Knapp and the ZBS

Then you’re not a Raider fan and you’re an idiot.

• JONTRAIN

Pryor is a baller. Nitpick all you want…he makes things happen. What I really like about him is his mental toughness and leadership. Thats the kinda guy I want leading my team into battle.

• 00tt00

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:09 pm
    ——————–
    where is the guy that has always been good…….i want to trade for him

• Raider fan in Fremont

Higher on Pryor (c)

• Cervantes74

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Like I said. Reactionary retards.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Similar to when Flynn was 4/5.

Bobby Knight loving douche bag.

• lefty12

Big linc just said Flynn is the better QB but Pryor has been making plays with his legs and that is what this team needs right now.Have to agree.

• Try Some Reality

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Like I said. Reactionary retards.

===========================================

There’s the Hack Robert I know, hence your new nickname Dr. Cantankerous Prick.

• Raider Riff

The hooded queen is threatening to feed us teeth. Hahahaha

Mrs Meltdown here we come.

• zopi

You gotta give credit to those who predicted that there would be a qb controversy one week before the start of the season.
    If Kakawammy says so, it’s gotta be so.
    Take a vow, you nailed it.

• Ghosttoothepost

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I like the new black qbs.
    =========
    Wow.
    Are you so damn ignorant you don’t know how racist this comment is?

You don’t have the feeling that you like the new qb’s?
    In your mind, it registers a category? of “black qb’s”?

You just might be the most ignorant person I’ve ever run across.
    If not, you’re in the running for the top 3.

• RNOraiderFan

Um… Both QB’s looked like crap in the NO game. Pryor moved the ball up and down the field in the Dallas game. Yes he threw a pick, ONE PICK! In three games Flynn has been sacked, fumbled, thrown 3 ints and had our O punting a lot. In 3 games Pryor was useless against NO’s D and worked the other two. Pryor gets my vote.

• jtruraider702

Only took one comment! Troll city

****\(-__-)/****….look so so simple!

• Whoknows

These guys on the game are roasting Flynn now.

• Stringer Bell

Flynn is what he is. There is no where to go with him. He is a backup qb. Pryor has an upside and since we aren’t going anywhere this year why not play him. He adds a dimension to the offense that Flynn doesn’t. Flynn is a game manager. Let Pryor play with all his ups and downs. You can’t say that Pryor isn’t working his tail off to get better.

• JONTRAIN

TP2 is what the media wanted tebow to be.

• Try Some Reality

What is this dark side exactly and the fact that it’s aligned with the Houdini supporters? LOL. Some of you are a real trip.

• Gdog

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 10:53 pm

C’mon. I’m on the Pryor train over Flynn but just cuz a guy doesn’t like Pryor or thinks he isn’t a good passer does not make him a flaming racist.

>>>>

Pretty much that or ego in never admitting your judgement is wrong.

Myself I didn’t want to see Pryor just be handed the job without EARNING it. He has now earned it. I am amazed and happy to be wrong about him.

Now I don’t want to see Flynn handed the job without EARNING it. He has done absolutely nothing in his career or playing time as a Raider to earn it. Nothing.

• Cervantes74

RNOraiderFan Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:12 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That’s what I saw.

This kid has consistently produced more TDs than TOs.

Right now I’ll take that and see where it goes.

• Ghosttoothepost

Zymurge Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 10:44 pm
    0ak r8rs Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Raider Riff Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 10:25 pm
    572.

oak, admit it, u regret aligning yourself with the Flynnchmob.

@@@@@@@@

———–
    So you’re NOT going to back the Raider qb, saying it’s the dark side?

You’re not a Raider fan.

You’re an idiot.

====

So by your logic if last season you:

- Didn’t back Palmer
    - Didn’t back Giordino
    - Didn’t back Smith at RT
    - Didn’t back Briesel
    - Didn’t back McClain before he got cut
    - Didn’t back DA
    - Didn’t back Knapp and the ZBS

Then you’re not a Raider fan and you’re an idiot.
    ————–
    Sorry slob.
    You missed the point.
    Then again, don’t you always?

• the famous dr robert

Cervantes74 Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:12 pm
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Like I said. Reactionary retards.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Similar to when Flynn was 4/5.

Bobby Knight loving douche bag.
    ********
    Another guy who has kept track of all my posts.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

Kirk Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:11 pm
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Like I said. Reactionary retards.
    …………………………………………….

touchdowns are all that matters.

Against Detroit…………threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third.
    Against San Diego……..threw for two touchdowns, ran for a third.
    Against Dallas……………ran for a touchdown, could of run for one more.
    Against New Orleans….ran for a touchdown in only two series.
    Against Chicago………….threw for one touchdown, ran for another.

====

Yep, dude can run with the ball. In fact, every time a play breaks down and he starts scrambling, the only thing that I want him to do is run with the ball. When he tries to throw from anything but solid drop back mechanics, bad things happen more often than good.

The problem is that he doesn’t read the situation fast or effective enough to realize this. He either forces or floats bad passes once he leaves the pocket.

In fact, that’s one of the reasons he’s able to extend his runs. Once he starts scrambling, the safeties start drooling for the easy pick and stay back waiting for his duck ball. If he ran more and threw less, they’d more aggressively jump into run support when he leaves the pocket, and that would open up his passing lanes. That’s what works for Newton and it’s what worked for Tebow.

The difference is those guys can make those quick reads to determine when a run and when a pass is the right move. Pryor not so much.

• jtruraider702

devilr8er Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:03 pm
    Jtruraider702 Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:01 pm
    Our fans are truly garbage. All they want to do is riot and fu*K people up. Our “fan base” is by far the worst the league. At times I am ashamed to be a Raider fan. You have all seen the photo doing the rounds, guy with a Raider shield on top of his head?!? Dude is destined for supremacy = Prison. I don’t know where I’m going with this; only that you tards need to settle the f*ck down and chill
    ____________________________________

Get the Fuc Out!!!

Sinerely,

The Nation

****^^^^predictable response^^^^**** smh!

• the famous dr robert

Raider Riff Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:12 pm
    The hooded queen is threatening to feed us teeth. Hahahaha

Mrs Meltdown here we come.
    ********
    Ur disgusting. U use racism as a toy.

• jtruraider702

^^^go shine your rims homie

• Whoknows

Coming up on ESPN: Pryor Impresses

• Cervantes74

So in 3 games…

TP 6 scoring drives, 1 TO, 1 sack

Flynn 2 scoring drives, 4 TOs, 9 sacks and too many punts to count.

It’s not close folks. It’s not close.

The game is still about scoring.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Pryor can’t throw?

• 0ak r8rs

Raider Riff Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:03 pm
    Oak, ur mistake was showing support for the hooded queen of the Flynnchmob, Dr Sybil. Aka Mr/sully/zymurge

This has nothing to do with the bitterness of the Pryor Brigade.

@@@@@@@@

It’s not a mistake. I like the guy. I like Zmurge too. As I like you as well. Because regardless of your stances on certain issues, and whether I agree w them or not, they r usually intelligent, well thought out opinions mixed w facts and knowledge. I’m no trying to blow smoke up your @ss or anyone else’s, but jets how I see it.

I’m open minded enough to appreciate and respect someone’s opinion when they present It intelligently and without venom.

There’s lots of guys on here I rarely agree with, but we get along just fine, 666 and eastoak r a few examples, SnBG as well. But they treat me w respect and I do my best to treat them in kind.

Idk how anyone could have a problem w Zmurge? Agree w him or not, barely ever seen him say a bitter word to anyone, even when he’s on the defensive. As far as Doc goes? He goes too far sometimes. And he knows it. It’s 80% schtick. I think he’s funny. And he makes some valid arguments supported by facts. And I think he pushes the envelope and sometimes intentionally starts shlt (trolls). But he’s not a troll. He makes me laugh.

But some of these other guys? I won’t name them because we all know who they are. There is absolutely nothing funny or amusing or interesting about them. 80% of the Pryor brigade r smug mouth breathers.

That’s my problem. Not my alignment w Doc. And btw, it’s a pretty tacit alignment. We rarely get involved in each others shlt, even of we agree on the subject. We can take care of ourselves on this stupid blog battlefield.

But it is fun.

• Raider Riff

The Pryor bandwagon isn’t big enough so we got a boat…

…someone please tell Dr Robert that just because a bunch of us are on a boat, we’re not for sale.

• the famous dr robert

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:12 pm
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I like the new black qbs.
    =========
    Wow.
    Are you so damn ignorant you don’t know how racist this comment is?

You don’t have the feeling that you like the new qb’s?
    In your mind, it registers a category? of “black qb’s”?

You just might be the most ignorant person I’ve ever run across.
    If not, you’re in the running for the top 3.
    ********
    3rd behind ur mom and dad I presume.

It’s not racist to discuss the topic that has been discussed repeatedly here.

We talk about the new wave. They’re black qbs.

Ur simply a worthless poster trying hard to get people to notice u.

Yawn. I will put u back where always were.

In the “skip due to being boring” category.

U had ur fifteen minutes. Go kill urself.

• jtruraider702

Racism is a dope ass toy that I used to play with. Lol its everywhere, get over it

• 24

Alright.

I didn’t see the game until it came on NFL Network at the end of the 2nd quarter. That was when I saw a 24-0 score. I started watching as Pryor took over.

Matt Flynn isn’t scoring touchdowns. He was supposed to be good at protecting the ball. In all, Matt Flynn is failing. It’s only the pre-season and I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but what he lacks, is what Pryor has and that’s the “IT” factor.

Flynn has been unspectacular. I’m not against having a Game Manager. This team looked like it needed it. What it appears though…is that we need a playmaker, a spark kind of guy. Terrell Pryor might actually be the guy to lead this team.

He keeps the play alive. He made some big plays tonight. He can launch it downfield. He get’s first downs. He get’s touchdowns. This team needs energy.

I feel like Matt McGloin even looks better than Flynn right now. If I was to put these guys in order, it would be…

Pryor
    McGloin
    Flynn
    Wilson

I’m ok with Pryor starting Week 1.

• Marks hair

just change your sock

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

TP !!!!

• the famous dr robert

A lot of scumbags here.

Feel bad for u really.

• Cervantes74

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Cervantes74 Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:12 pm
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Like I said. Reactionary retards.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Similar to when Flynn was 4/5.

Bobby Knight loving douche bag.
    ********
    Another guy who has kept track of all my posts.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have. They are so ludicrous it’s like watching a 400 pound woman pole dance.

Ignorant but Entertaining.

• Whoknows

The dudes on the Game don’t think there is anyone left in Raider Nation who thinks Flynn should be the starter. They obviously haven’t been reading this blog.

• Ghosttoothepost

I’m on record saying I want the qb who wins the job.
    Stated I did not believe the wave of the future is on the team at this point.
    Stated anyone who calls the coaches racist because they aren’t starting Pryor are damn fools.
    Stated Pryor, by his own admission, isn’t ready to start, but doesn’t mean he won’t be at some point.
    Stated Flynn isn’t going to light it up, but it’s his job to lose, and will start the season.
    And most importantly, stated and really feel the oline is going to get whoever starts pounded, mercilessly, and that whoever doesn’t start will likely be in by week 3 or 4.

Flynn might just have swayed the coaches to consider Pryor for week one, but I don’t think DA is going to put all his eggs in one basket because of tonight’s outing.

I stand by everything else

• Crawfish Joe

BBQ’d enormously big dicked crow now being served with salad and baked beans.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I guess Olsen let him play tonite

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

Gdog Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:14 pm
    DJ Johnny Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 10:53 pm

>>>>

Pretty much that or ego in never admitting your judgement is wrong.

====

Pryor did very little to earn the job tonight. It was more a case of Flynn not doing his job to keep it locked down. Everyone keeps missing the point that Pryor was pretty bad against the first teamers when given the chance.

If anything, McGloin did more to EARN an elevation in status than anyone else. He is light years of ahead of where Pryor was last year let alone in his rookie season. He projects way better than Pryor does, yet he’s not even part of the conversation.

• the famous dr robert

I does feel good to know so many of I think of me though.

• Kirk

So in 3 games…

TP 6 scoring drives, 1 TO, 1 sack

Flynn 2 scoring drives, 4 TOs, 9 sacks and too many punts to count.

It’s not close folks. It’s not close.

The game is still about scoring.
    ……………………………………………

It’s amazing that some people don’t get this.

• 24

New Post

• Try Some Reality

===============================================

Gee, how could anyone possibly have a problem with Zymurge. He’s only dedicated the entire evening towards $hitting on Pryor. But it’s not hate, mister. It’s honest criticism…honest.

• Whoknows

Sleep tight Nation we finally have a QB who is a leader.