Pryor makes strongest case yet for starting job

Raiders coach Dennis Allen has quite a mess on his hands now after how poorly Matt Flynn played and how well Terrelle Pryor played against the Chicago Bears on Friday night.
Does Allen stick with Flynn as his starting quarterback for the regular-season opener, as has been the plan all along? Or does Allen suddenly shift course and opt for Pryor?
As one Bears player said after his team’s 34-26 victory over the Raiders, “They have to go with Pryor. He at least gives them a chance.”
The player qualified his remark, saying that he likes Flynn as a player, but Flynn just isn’t athletic enough to function well in an offense that lacks enough talented linemen to keep the quarterback clean for an entire game, let alone a season.
Tonight’s game illustrated that point, with Flynn getting flattened on a corner blitz, completing 3 of 6 passes for 19 yards and being intercepted twice. Meanwhile, Pryor completed 7 of 9 for 93 yards and one touchdown, as well as a 25-yard touchdown run.
(Note: I got assigned to cover the Bears locker room tonight, so I’m not privy to what Allen, Pryor, Flynn or anyone else with the Raiders had to say after the game. I will track that down later and pass it along).
However, it doesn’t take a seasoned football expert to reach the conclusion that Pryor outplayed Flynn tonight. The burning question is, what does it mean?
Well, it means that Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie, at the least, have to consider the idea of going with Pryor instead of Flynn, regardless how they felt before tonight.
Sure Pryor is inexperienced, learning as he goes and prone to mistakes. So if Flynn, even though he is in his sixth NFL season. Remember, Flynn has started only two regular-season games, or one more than Pryor.

– Wide receiver Rod Streater left the game with a concussion. He got drilled in the head after hauling in a floating pass from Pryor.
Sure, Pryor hung out Streater on the play, but it came as a result of Pryor being chased by four Bears defenders, running out of room to run and doing whatever he could to get off the pass before getting clobbered.
Streater played well enough in training camp and the first two exhibition games to be considered the Raiders No. 1 receiver. It’s unclear whether he will be healthy enough to play in the opener.

– The punting competition remains too close to call. Veteran Chris Kluwe grossed 50 yards on his one punt — he had a 49-yard net. Marquette King averaged 50.5 yards on his two punts, with a 40-yard net.

– Josh Cribbs didn’t do much to help himself in his quest to make the 53-man roster. He fumbled one kick return and averaged a pedestrian 21.5 yards on his two returns.
Jacoby Ford replaced Cribbs later in the game and promptly ripped off a 62-yard return. Allen said he wanted to see more explosiveness and burst from Cribbs. Well, Cribbs is running out of time to show that he still has something left to offer, primarily as a kick returnter.
Taiwan Jones all but removed himself from the running when he twice dropped the ball during a kick return and then got blasted at the 12-yard line.

– Rookie Matt McGloin relieved Pryor in the second half and showed some poise in driving the Raiders to a touchdown to make the game respectable.
He completed 7 of 14 passes for 128 yards and one touchdown. However, he had two passes intercepted, including one on the Raiders final offensive snap.
At least he got to play. Fourth-round draft pick Tyler Wilson warmed up on the sideline, but he failed to get in the game once again.
No one has any idea what’s going on in the battle for the No. 3 spot between McGloin and Wilson. It’s conceivable that the Raiders intend to cut Wilson, so they don’t want to play him much and, if he plays well, thereby tempt teams to claim him off waivers.
Then again, this just might be another case of an undrafted player seizing the opportunity and outplaying the more high profile player. It happened last season with Streater and Juron Criner.

– For the second straight game, the Raiders first-team offense and defense got outplayed thoroughly by the opposing team.
They trailed the New Orleans Saints 23-0 last Friday. Tonight, the Bears led 27-0 before most of their starters retired.
Naturally, these games don’t count and few remember teams’ records from exhibition games. However, it has to be alarming to Allen and McKenize how thoroughly the Raiders got outplayed when their starters were on the field.

Steve Corkran

• Crawfish Joe

BBQ’d enormously big dicked crow now being served with salad and baked beans.

• Ghosttoothepost

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:21 pm

I’m on record saying I want the qb who wins the job.
    Stated I did not believe the wave of the future is on the team at this point.
    Stated anyone who calls the coaches racist because they aren’t starting Pryor are damn fools.
    Stated Pryor, by his own admission, isn’t ready to start, but doesn’t mean he won’t be at some point.
    Stated Flynn isn’t going to light it up, but it’s his job to lose, and will start the season.
    And most importantly, stated and really feel the oline is going to get whoever starts pounded, mercilessly, and that whoever doesn’t start will likely be in by week 3 or 4.

Flynn might just have swayed the coaches to consider Pryor for week one, but I don’t think DA is going to put all his eggs in one basket because of tonight’s outing.

I stand by everything else

• Raider Riff

Dr Robert, queen of the Flynnchmob, is no more.

All hail the new king TP2!

Say Pryor’s name b1tches

• 24

Alright.

I didn’t see the game until it came on NFL Network at the end of the 2nd quarter. That was when I saw a 24-0 score. I started watching as Pryor took over.

Matt Flynn isn’t scoring touchdowns. He was supposed to be good at protecting the ball. In all, Matt Flynn is failing. It’s only the pre-season and I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but what he lacks, is what Pryor has and that’s the “IT” factor.

Flynn has been unspectacular. I’m not against having a Game Manager. This team looked like it needed it. What it appears though…is that we need a playmaker, a spark kind of guy. Terrell Pryor might actually be the guy to lead this team.

He keeps the play alive. He made some big plays tonight. He can launch it downfield. He get’s first downs. He get’s touchdowns. This team needs energy.

I feel like Matt McGloin even looks better than Flynn right now. If I was to put these guys in order, it would be…

Pryor
    McGloin
    Flynn
    Wilson

I’m ok with Pryor starting Week 1.

• Try Some Reality

Idk how anyone could have a problem w Zmurge? Agree w him or not, barely ever seen him say a bitter word to anyone, even when he’s on the defensive. As far as Doc goes? He goes too far sometimes. And he knows it. It’s 80% schtick. I think he’s funny. And he makes some valid arguments supported by facts. And I think he pushes the envelope and sometimes intentionally starts shlt (trolls). But he’s not a troll. He makes me laugh.

===============================================

Gee, how could anyone possibly have a problem with Zymurge. He’s only dedicated the entire evening towards $hitting on Pryor. But it’s not hate, mister. It’s honest criticism…honest.

• Marks hair

quit being stupid da

• Raider Riff

The Pryor bandwagon isn’t big enough so we got a boat…

…someone please tell Dr Robert that just because a bunch of us are on a boat, we’re not for sale.

• Whoknows

“McKenzie and Allen are big on saying that every position is open for competition. Well, if that holds water, Pryor just laid claim to being the opening-game starter for the Raiders.”

• Ghosttoothepost

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I does feel good to know so many of I think of me though.
    =========
    Is that on the line of you saying “I’m not as think as you drunk I am”?

LMAO Read your comment out loud, then go hit yourself.

• Try Some Reality

Riff, my man. It’s HOUDINI

I thought you were working with me on spreading his nickname?

• Try Some Reality

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:26 pm
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I does feel good to know so many of I think of me though.
    =========
    Is that on the line of you saying “I’m not as think as you drunk I am”?

LMAO Read your comment out loud, then go hit yourself.

===============================

LMFAO!

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

TERRELL PRYOR!!!

Fk Flynn

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Rivera/Gordon/Kasa

G’bye Ausberry

• Try Some Reality

“They have to go with Pryor. He at least gives them a chance.”

===========================================

Pretty much sums it up. What a crap storm in that first half. Our team looks like yesterday’s trash, and Houdini at least gives us some glimmer of hope.

• Chris in NY

Pryor gives us the only chance to be competitive. Especially with the state of our offensive line … which is offensive.

It’s impossible not to see this. If Reggie and DA stick with Flynn as the starter they’re just being stubborn. Not to say that it will necessarily be smooth sailing with Pryor. I’m sure he’ll have some moments where you’ll just smack yourself in the forehead. But he’s also the only guy who’s going to energize the team and the fanbase and that has any chance of keeping us in games this year.

The Flynn signing was a waste of money that could’ve been better spent on a pass rusher and/or the offensive line.

• oc_outlaw

I want to see Pryor and DMC. You can’t key on Pryor running all the time if DMC is in there.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

“Don’t pay attention to the Raiders coming back in both games. That happened, in large part, with players that won’t be playing key roles in two weeks or won’t even be in the league.”

===

The most salient point of the entire article. It also encompasses the period of Pryor’s better play. Funny how people seem to have already forgotten his ineffectiveness in the first half against Bears starters.

I wish that game 4 of the preseason had the same scheme as game 3 where starters play the first half. In that case, I’d love to see Pryor start and Flynn come in the second half against backups. The results very likely could be reversed because of the delta in talent across the board between the Raiders and opponents starters verses the Raiders edge in second stringers.

Unfortunately we won’t get that chance.

• 0ak r8rs

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:29 pm
    Try Some Reality Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:14 pm
    What is this dark side exactly and the fact that it’s aligned with the Houdini supporters? LOL. Some of you are a real trip.

@@@@@@@

No. A bulk of the Houdini supporters r the dark side. Not him. And not you, for whatever that’s worth. Most of the guys that support Pryor don’t support Reggie or DA or much of anything else it seems. I’m looking for consistency from this team. An I haven’t lost faith it’s gonna happen. Most of the Pryor supporters seem like they wanna tear it all down, especially of that’s what it takes to get their “guy” in. I don’t have a “guy” in this argument. I just don’t like the attitudes of alot of the Pryor brigade. When Pryor does poorly, or when he does well.

That’s my opinion. I’m not even saying they aren’t fans, most of them, even the real hateful ones. But they aren’t the kinda fans I wanna be aligned with. Just because we all like the same team, doesn’t mean we all have to get along. I’m good w that. Why aren’t you?

• oc_outlaw

If you can’t see the difference between TP and Flynn, the difference in how the team responds, and the excitement of the crowd you’re deaf, dumb, and blind. Flynn isn’t even in the long term plans of the team. Roll TP for the season, hope for the best, and decide if you’re drafting a QB round one of next year.

• Raider Riff

Do u guys realize how much pressure was on TP to deliver on that stage tonight considering all the boos and chants. Nerves of steel.

Also, I think Jacoby makes this team.

Hayden is legit IMO.

• rediaR

Thoughts after just watching the game.

Pryor looked better than Flynn tonight. I’ll admit that. I wont have a problem with either of them being named the starter.

Cribbs earned himself a cut.

Ford earned himself the job as KR. He looked much more explosive than I expected. Don’t really trust him as a WR though. I hope we keep Jenkins around at least on the PS so we have a viable option at KR for when Ford goes down for 22 months in week 3.

The pass rush looked better. Still crap, but they pressured quicker.

Hayden looked like a rookie a couple times, but made some nice plays too. Pretty good for a guy who will never play a down in the NFL.

Jennings and Stewart>McFadden

Can we keep 27 TEs? I feel like that is the plan.

• 0ak r8rs

MistaBrown Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:30 pm
    Rivera/Gordon/Kasa

G’bye Ausberry

@@@@@@@

Wrong. Gordon is gone. He’ll be cut when they go to 75. Can’t catch if his life depended on it, and has fallen short of his blocking rep so far this preseason as well. Ausberry can be a beast. And was looking good before the injury.

• Gdog

oc_outlaw Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:40 pm

>>>>

He still needs to learn to just get rid of the damn ball.

But agreed… the whole team rallies around him… you cannot ignore this.

• raideralex99

Seriously the QB position is the least of the Raiders worries. If Brady or Brees or Peyton were the QB’s for the Raiders they still would be an under .500 team.
    Reggie and DA are not experienced enough to run an NFL team … Sorry Raider fans the trust hurts.
    Please tell me how Cable in one year goes 8-8 and then Hue goes 8-8 with an exciting offence to RM/DA ‘s 4-12 and this year will be 1-15 or 2-14 …. at this rate it will take Reggie 3 years to match Hue’s win record.
    “In Reggie We Trust” …. LMFAO

• runnerin1

Pryor looked great, but the real problem is the G.M. and head coach. With all the talent in the league, how in the world can you end up with such an inept offensive line? Who in the world is running this organization? Against the Saints, the Raiders were completely helpless.