Pryor puts himself in QB picture

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 at 11:31 pm in Oakland Raiders.

What seemed to be the inevitable ascension of Matt Flynn as the Raiders starting quarterback is now an open question.

Terrelle Pryor thrust himself into the conversation Friday night by bringing the Raiders back from the dead in a 34-26 preseason loss to the Chicago Bears at O.co Coliseum.

Pryor scored on a 25-yard scramble and hit a clutch 19-yard touchdown pass to sixth-round draft pick Nick Kasa as the Raiders rebounded from a 27-3 deficit to get within 27-20 after three quarters.

By the time Matt McGloin took over in the fourth quarter, Pryor had given coach Dennis Allen and offensive coordinator Greg Olson something to think about, as much by Flynn’s struggles as by Pryor’s playmaking ability.

Asked afterward if he would consider Pryor as the potential Week 1 starting quarterback, Allen said, “I think we’ll have to take a look at it. I don’t think Matt played well. Terrelle came in and gave us a spark. I’m not going to make any decisions tonight.’

Flynn was 3-for-6 for 19 yards, had two interceptions _ both on throws that weren’t close _ and was getting resounding boos from the home crowd.

“That’s the game of football,’’ Flynn said. “That’s what happens when you have passionate fans that expect a certain level of performance.’’

Pryor had 37 yards rushing on three carries and completed 7 of 9 passes for 93 yards and a touchdown.

Upon entering the game with 6:52 left in the first half, Pryor also initially struggled. He threw high for for Streater on a third-and-11 play to Rod Streater that should have been intercepted by Bears safety Chris Conte, who dropped the ball.

Late in the half, Pryor’s 26-yard completion to Mychal Rivera set up Sebastian Janikowski for a 58-yard field goal.

In the second half, against the Bears’ second-team defense, Pryor scrambled to his left and lofted a 19-yard jump pass to Streater for a first down. He later raced around right end for the 25-yard score.

Sebastian Janikowski kicked a 30-yard field goal after a Josh McCown fumble got the Raiders within 27-13, and then the former Raiders quarterback threw an interception to Joselio Hanson, setting up more Pryor heroics.

Sacked for an 11-yard loss earlier in the series, and faced with third-and-16, Pryor threw a perfect seam pass to Kasa at the goal line for the touchdown.

“I just want to go out and compete,’’ Pryor said. “To me, that’s just what I do. That’s how I expect to play. My teammates stepped up and made a lot of plays for me.’’

Neither quarterback was interested in entering a debate as the Raiders begin a short week heading into their final preseason game at Seattle Thursday night.

Flynn, who was the presumptive starter in Seattle last season only to lose the job to Russell Wilson, was asked if he had jeopardized a potential starting position with the Raiders.

“I’m not sure,’’ Flynn said. “I’ll go out, keep busting my tail and look t oplay better. Week No. 3 in in the preseason is not going to affect me in the long run.’’

Said Pryor: “I’m not looking to get into who is going to start. We’ve got a lot of things to fix and we’re going to fix them together.’’

In trailing 27-3 at the end of the first half, the Raiders were actually worse than they were the week before in New Orleans, where they were down 23-7 at halftime. Chicago outgained the Raiders 252 to 92 and a 14-4 edge in first downs.

Quarterback Jay Cutler was 12 of 21 for 142 yards and a 32-yard touchdown to Matt Forte, and Forte also rushed for 76 yards on six carries. Former Raider Michael Bush had scoring runs of 10 yards and one yard.

The first-half highlight for the Raiders was the return to action of cornerback D.J. Hayden, who had not played since last November after rupturing a blood vessel to his heart in a practice at Houston.

Hayden gave up his first completion (a 22-yard pass to Brandon Marshall), made his first tackle and broke up his first pass.

“No question he was rusty,’’ Allen said. “It was good to get him on the field. He got a lot of firsts out of the way tonight.’’

– McGloin, who played the fourth quarter, was 7 of 14 for 128 yards, a 5-yard touchdown to Jamize Olawale and two interceptions.

– Streater went out with a concussion on the 15-yard catch from Pryor in the third quarter. Brice Butler and Usama Young left the game with hamstring strains, and Hanson had a groin injury.

– Janikowski kicked a 58-yard field goal off the dirt at the end of the second half and was wide right in the first half from 49 yards.

– Jacoby Ford raced 62 yards with a kickoff return after Josh Cribbs mishandled his first attempt and fumbled the second, with the Raiders recovering.

– Running back Darren McFadden has a minor shoulder injury and could have played if it were a regular season game, Allen said.

• Just Fire Baby

Two KRs.. two straight balls on the ground.

******************************

Fine, move him off those whopping 25 kick returns this year.

Still a roster spot for him, and an active dresser every Sunday.

• xraided

“Good play call. Problem is it’s a jail break, and Jennings runs right into Richard Gordon. And still gets seven yards. Dismal.”

wait until Pryor is calling those kinds of plays back to back… those kinds of draw plays, end arounds, and other trick plays will be the ABSOLUTELY LAST THING on the opposition’s mind when Pryor is under the helm

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Seymour666Tr0ll,

Tell us again how Pryor can’t play and Flynn is the starter. I want to bookmark it and use it until you change names again.

Go ahead stand by your opinion, know nothing fraud.

• Myopinion

Riff,
    Didnt mean to plagurize, missed your post. Til e complimented it

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Myopinion Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

============================================

I think you have to start Pryor. I don’t know if I would say because he deserves it, he really hasn’t played all that well, but there is no denying that he brings an energy to the offense.

• 0ak r8rs

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:20 pm
    if you’re predictions about TP are as close as you were about Barnes, you may want to change screen names

******************************

Barnes seems to be the starting RT to me.

And I would be hard-pressed to think of anyone else who thought that would be so, besides myself.

So I will give myself a pat on the back, for once.

@@@@@@@

I’m a Barnes guy. Think he’s way underrated. My wish tho was that we would be so solid up front and Watson would burst on the scene and we could have moved Barnes to guard. Not getting my wish, obviously.

• VanHeathen30

Like the fact that Khalif was able to mix up the kinds of penalties he drew last night, what was the trifecta? False start, illegal formation and a hands to the face I think.
    Bravo Khalif!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

You are getting weirder and weirder Jamista. Sounds like you have run out of meth hits for your pipe and you are hyper ventilating and hallucinating.

• Raider E

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

******************************

Barnes seems to be the starting RT to me.

So I will give myself a pat on the back, for once.

—————————-

Hey now, wait a damn second. i had barnes as my MUP in 2012.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

“Anybody with half a brain can see M Flynn is a franchise Qb”

-SeyGlenn666
    __________

“Anybody with half a brain can see JaMarcus is a franchise Qb”

-SeyGlenn666

• eastoaklandraider

JFB I have a question for you, if you give ATL our oline how many games do they win? Better yet do they make the playoffs.

• xraided

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

******************************

Barnes seems to be the starting RT to me.

So I will give myself a pat on the back, for once.

____________

LMAO sorry i mean Harrison Barnes … haha! i was joking

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Peymour, you been telling us for 3 months Pryor cant a bran from the inside and now you want him to start?

Fcking fraud tr0ll blooper machine!

• RaidO

Myopinion Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:17 pm
    Flynn was brought in to compete, never once has rm or da said he is definite starter, just gave him first opportunity. They both look worse if they dont play the best guy. They lose 80% of the fanbase before snap 1,and you know the team knows tp is better. Tp is a young first year starter, he should be treated the way. Until he really proves he doesnt deserve it. Flynn has proven incapable to everyone, I dare rm and da to treat us like idiots and be wrong. Then at 0and 4or 5tp comes in and lights it up. Flynn as a vet mentor,backup is not a stupid move, maybe a few mil too much, but do u want tp and two rookies. carol didnt agree with that logic either.
    —————

They named Flynn the starter before he even got to Oakland.

• Gdog

Seymour Bush Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Myopinion Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

============================================

>>>>

Not just the offense, but the entire TEAM.

DA obviously has not figured out the team concept yet.

He has a child-like mentality of Dr. Roberts.

All mesmerized by the record breaking meaningless game… and put down by the obvious warts of Pryor.

Worst coach in the NFL perhaps. Its becoming so obvious.

I’m guessing he will make someone a fine DC someday though. After his twin moron Reggie grows a set to fire him.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

xraided Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

============================================

While you might think that, ideally yes, having Pryor in their with a plethora of offensive options would be indefensible, as I have written in here a ton, just putting in a 46 defense, and making Pryor hit the deep ball repeatedly in the face of unblocked blitzers, probably would be something that would not be able to do like RGIII, Wilson or even Vick.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Seymour, why are you in here giving us a report like you work for NFLN ? You have yet to get ANYTHING correct in your lifetime concerning the Oakland Raiders?

Cross posting know nothing tr0ll!

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Stupid POS

• Just Fire Baby

***********************************

10-11 wins and the playoffs without getting out of 4th gear.

Newsflash, their O-line isn’t all that good. That’s why they didn’t bring back all 5 starters.

They just have two world WR’s and a TE that scares the piss out of every DC and a QB that is the best on the planet at running the 2 minute drill (reallly the :30 second drill like he did to the #1 ranked defense Seahawks).

• xraided

I liked the idea of pushing Barnes to RG in place of Watson at RT or somebody else… we may yet see that happen once Watson gets healthy…

something needs to give on this OL, that much is for sure

like i said earlier, McKinnie was picked up by BAL mid season and he’s worked out at LT ever since! this is when MIN drafted what’s his wad.

• C2E

MistaBrown Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    Amy Trask will be on the CBS pre game round table show.

Hmmmmm
    —-
    woopty doo

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

MistaBrown Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Peymour, you been telling us for 3 months Pryor cant a bran from the inside
    ============================================

Does somebody translate meth brain rotten babble to English so I can understand this?

• eastoaklandraider

Seymour Bush don’t even try it your a known TP hater, you just said a few days ago he shold be a WR.

• xraided

_______

and Steven Jackson now. i’m going to snag him in the later rounds next weekend for sure. low risk high reward like AP WAS FOR ME LAST YEAR WOOOO!

• Raider E

JFB talkin’ truth.

Love that sh*t!!!!

• Just Fire Baby

Quizz Rodgers will score more FF points than Steven Jackson, IMO this year.

• VanHeathen30

Jaff Fisher has StLouis playing some good ball…
    Would have led to see Mark make a run at him.
    This reboot needed an experienced coach, not some first timer who jumped 2 steps up to the top job… DA is in way over his ability.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Peymour, you been telling us for 3 months Pryor cant hit a barn from the inside and now you want him to start?

Fcking fraud tr0ll blooper machine!

• Raider E

C2E Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:34 pm
    MistaBrown Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:19 pm
    Amy Trask will be on the CBS pre game round table show.

Hmmmmm
    —-
    woopty doo

——————-

I’m interested to see if she dogs the Raiders. Maybe she will shut some people up?

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Raider E Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Why waste 3 months with Flynn? WTF would that accomplish? What would that tell me that I dont already know? NOTHING.
    ==========================================

I would not doubt Allen will start Flynn in Indy with some packages for Pryor, just to get Flynn started away from Raider fan. In fact, I would expect it.

• RaidO

Pryor, Flynn competing for Raiders starter QB role

Saturday, 08.24.13
    ALAMEDA, Calif. — Terrelle Pryor will likely get some work running the Oakland Raiders’ first-team offense in practice this week following an impressive preseason performance.

Whether he can win the starting quarterback job remains to be seen.

Coach Dennis Allen said Saturday the quarterback competition remains open one day after Pryor completely outplayed Matt Flynn in a 34-26 exhibition loss to the Chicago Bears.

Allen has said the main criteria for picking the starter will be who gives the offense a better chance to score. Right now that is decidedly in Pryor’s favor after he led four scoring drives and provided a spark that energized the Oakland Coliseum crowd and created a quarterback controversy with two weeks left before the start of the regular season.

“Terrelle came in and really added a spark to us offensively,” Allen said. “He moved us down the field, he was able to put some points on the board, so that was really good to see out of him. I don’t think Matt played as well as he or we would have liked for him to play. Again, we got to continue to get better, we got to keep moving forward and that’s a position that we’re still continuing to evaluate

• VanHeathen30

Dolphins owner has 15 dollar kids tickets, good idea Mark should initiate.

• Raider Riff

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:15 pm
    You roll with TP and you commit. Good and bad. Just like any young and promising QB.

*********************************

He is not that young and promising though.

He is in his 3rd year and barely beating out the Matt Flynn’s of the world.

He isn’t going to get the leeway top draft picks get. Just the way of life.

——————

3rd year?

Year 1…. suspended and Hue had bigger fish to fry
    Year 2…. didnt even suit up for 11 games and somehow was buried behind Leinart
    Year 3…. “barely beating out Flynn”? Really? That’s what Wilson did last year. Look how that worked out.

So what if it’s year 3. He’s not a 3rd year pro in the normal sense of the definition.

• Just Fire Baby

This organization wants Flynn to get Wally Pipped.

Play him for awhile, he doesn’t do anything horrible, but the next guy is Lou Gehrig and nobody really cares what happened before then.

• RaidO

“Allen has said the main criteria for picking the starter will be who gives the offense a better chance to score”

If Allen is not BS’ing here then he needs to name Pryor the starter right now.

• http://raiderettes.com MR..realest of the real, stickiest of the icky

Mark Davis tells Kawakami yesterday LA’s still an option.

• Raider Riff

Seymour Bush Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:37 pm
    Raider E Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

==========================================

—————

Yep.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

See that SeyGlen you are a fraud/tr0ll and everybody knows it.
    _______

eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

• eastoaklandraider

JFB, if ATL has our current oline they may go 8-8. Their oline isn’t the greatest but its still head and shoulders above ours. They were able to bea SEA and almost SF with that line. If you give them the bums we have they lose both games easy.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

============================================

Everyone has been gushing about his running ability. It is what he does best. That is my entire point that I have made over and over and over. No one on earth is saying Terrelle Pryor’s pinpoint accuracy and ability to make every throw in the book will lead the Raiders to wins. No one has said that. What they ARE saying is, he has “escapability” and can run well.

He is just as big and even faster than Calvin Johnson! If you can get him into space, he is incredibly difficult to bring down. I have said over and over, I think he can be an incredible WR. Or a mediocre QB. To me, the choice is obvious.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Cross posting to himself, classic!
    ______

Seymour Bush Says:
    June 5th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Don’t worry Seymour. This newbie will go away.

• Just Fire Baby

He’s not a 3rd year pro in the normal sense of the definition.

**************************

Yes, but he is not as green as people want to make him to be.

He is the only QB on the roster to throw passes to the WR on the roster, and he got his playbook 1st out of any of the 4 QB’s.

And he has had three offseasons now to deal with all that real-world stuff, is working with QB coaches in the offseason, etc.

The rubber meets the road for Mr. Pryor, like right now.

• Raider E

Someone mentioned meth a couple of posts ago, so I have tho share.

I was walking the dogs this a.m. and came acroos what looked like a half oz. of meth on the ground.

I picked it up, opened it, and tasted.

These niggas sell bunk around here. I thought I might sell it for 5 hundy. My bad.

I’m not in the game anymore though. I did my time.

Just thought it was curious.

• Just Fire Baby

I would rather have Veldheer than Sam Baker, and Wiz over their Center (I think he retired).

Not sure about their interior O-line, but Blalock is pretty good.

• http://raiderettes.com MR..realest of the real, stickiest of the icky

You sold meth, Raider E?

• http://raiderettes.com MR..realest of the real, stickiest of the icky

Raider E Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

“Someone mentioned meth a couple of posts ago”

lol.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

“Terrelle came in and really added a spark to us offensively,” Allen said.

Add to that the fact that Flynn looked poor out there and the door is abviously open. But again, Pryor has not done anything against NFL ones. That is his next big test, and unfortunately we are not going to see that in the next game.

• Gdog

RaidO Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 6:40 pm

If Allen is not BS’ing here then he needs to name Pryor the starter right now.

>>>>

I’m not sure where to look to find out… but hasn’t Flynn been outscored by about 50 points in his what, 5 quarters as a starter??

Maybe things like that don’t matter though.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

New post.

• alex7

“Time together” isn’t going to help Barron not get beat one on one by a more talented athlete.