Raiders not yet feeling the draft

First off, it takes a few years to assess a draft and it’s way too early to draw any definite conclusions on how Reggie McKenzie has fared in terms of procuring rookie talent.

Considering the Raiders have more than $40 million tied up in dead money under the salary cap, you’d think it would be a haven for young talent to get the chance to start and flourish.

Not so.

When the Raiders host the Chicago Bears tonight at 7 p.m. at O.co Coliseum, there will in all probability be three starters from McKenzie drafts _ cornerback D.J. Hayden, defensive tackle Christo Bilukidi and strong side linebacker Sio Moore. A pair of undrafted free agents who made the roster in 2012, wide receiver Rod Streater and left guard Lucas Nix, will be starters on the offense.

When the season begins on Sept. 8, the plan is for Pat Sims to step in as a starting tackle in place of Bilukidi, and there’s a chance Tracy Porter will return from a groin injury in time to give Hayden more time to develop after a late start. That would leave one McKenzie/Allen starter on defense, along with Streater and presumably Nix on offense.

A thumbnail sketch of McKenzie’s draft picks:

2013

1/12 CB D.J. Hayden, Houston: We’ll get to learn a lot tonight against Chicago and there is no way to know how he’ll respond to contact. Considering where he was picked, he should be starting before it gets too deep into the season.

2/42 OT Menelik Watson, Florida State: Got an even later start than Hayden, and although he has only 19 games of college football experience, Watson will be thrown off the high dive and be forced to swim very soon. The Raiders are that thin up front.

3/66 LB Sio Moore, Connecticut: The coaching staff fell in love with Moore at the Senior Bowl. Penciled in as a starter the moment he was drafted. Now he has to live up to it.

4/112 QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas: Looked like he could be best pure passer on the team during offseason work. Getting almost no work behind third-team undrafted free agent Matt McGloin. Will McKenzie cut his own fourth-round draft pick?

6/172 TE Nick Kasa, Colorado: Converted defensive lineman fell behind after missing offseason with a hamstring strain. Has size and skill set of an every-down tight end. Trying to sneak Kasa to the practice squad would be a gamble.

6/181 RB Latavius Murray, Central Florida: Currently out indefinitely after arthroscopic ankle surgery, Murray is an intriguing specimen but his propensity for injury in college has so far followed him in to the NFL.

6/184 TE Mychal Rivera, Tennessee: Looks as if he can be useful immediately as a pass receiving tight end, although perhaps not enough girth to play every down along the line. Has natural feel for passing game and getting open, with good hands.

6/205 DT Stacy McGee, Oklahoma: Watch McGee during blocking drills and it’s apparent why he was worth a gamble even though he had some personal conduct issues in college. Strong and explosive, although not ready to be in rotation as of yet.

7/209 WR Brice Butler, San Diego State: Big, fast and making a run at getting playing time as a rookie. One of the nice surprises of training camp.

7/233 DE David Bass, Missouri Western State: Had a big moment against New Orleans with sack of Seneca Wallace that resulted in a touchdown for undrafted free agent Ryan Robinson. Concerns are that he simply looks small and occasionally gets buried by tackles that outweigh him by 50 pounds

2012

3/95 G-T Tony Bergstrom, Utah: Competed with Nix at left guard, with Nix apparently getting the edge. Bergstrom, drafted when Raiders were a zone blocking team, could have a role as a swing player at guard and tackle.

4/129 LB Miles Burris, San Diego State: Had solid rookie season as a 15-game starter at strong side linebacker, but still hasn’t recovered from off-season knee surgery. Moore took his spot, and Burris, if he gets healthy will back up Nick Roach in the middle. Could open season on Physically Unable to Perform list and be out for nearly half the season, if he makes roster.

5/158 DL Jack Crawford, Penn State: Given his performance against New Orleans, an example why you need patience in assessing a draft. Made more of an impression in one series than he did all of last season as a raw athlete learning his craft.

5/168 WR Juron Criner, Arizona: Struggled to learn offensive system as a rookie, and then the Raiders put in an entirely new one for Year 2. Now is injured. Hard to give up on because the type of jump-and-catch receiver who can score in the red zone and that’s a trait the Raiders desperately need.

6/189 DT Christo Bilukidi, Georgia State: Looks as if Bilukidi will be in an interior rotation along with Vance Walker and Pat Sims.

7/230 LB Nathan Stupar, Penn State: Didn’t make 53-man roster out of training camp, later cut from practice squad.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Plunketthead

ROY DJ Hayden
    MUP Rashad Jennings
    MVR Matt Flynn

Make some :popcorn: and get ready
    Raiders 42
    Pears 17

• SnBG

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 2:35 pm
    Raider E Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    That performance was frightening… I cannot handle another 2 win season

I thought the 2’s and 3’s played well.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    One real quarter of bad play and it’s frightening? I don’t think so. Velhdeer goes down and Barron had to step in without playing with the starting line and Gurouds first game also. That’s 2 O linemen in there for their first game and Ryan is blitzing his arse off. The line got better as the game went along and Flynn drove it down the field for a TD. Not as bad as we may think when you stop to analyze the game.

• willy91137

after the last Art Shall coaching experience with the bed-and-breakfast offense I said after that season

that I was going support another team I tried but couldn’t do it then the draft came and I get all pumped up again

whatever it is it will be but I can’t stand anothe 4 win season

• Gdog

The Ravens won a SB with the world famous Corey Graham, and Jimmy Smith as CB’s.

Yikes (although Smith did have the game of his life in the SB.)

I’d rather have a great FS any time.

• Plunketthead

Not as bad as we may think when you stop to analyze the game.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I saw it that way as well. 8 minutes into the game Matt was moving the ball, looked sharp on his passes.

I am sure we will get pressure tonight. It was there last week but DB sidesteps it. DA tried everything to stop him including the three man rush.

We will look like we belong in the NFL tonight

Claim the dirt!!

• Raider E

I’ll say this:

Flynn will look like Flynn. The guy is not gonna carry this team, but if he gets a little help tommorow night he will produce.

I say Dmac gets it going a little in the 1st for a change, and this will let flynn get into a groove with a couple checkdowns until he finally settles down and hits a nice pass on the 1st series to get us in the red zone. I think play-calling will force us into a field goal at that point. 3-0 Raiders

No Pass Rush + Cutler? 7-3 Bears

We go back to Dmac, but he isn’t quite feelin it anymore. 3 and out. 7-3 Bears

First Quarter runs out with the bears driving.

2nd quarter Forte busts free but is caught inside the 5. Defense holds and bears settle for 3. 10-3 Bears.

Raiders drive again, but Flynn checks down a 3-8 for 4 yrds. and were at the Bears 35. Jano hits 52 yarder. 10-6 Bears

Cutler picks up a couple first downs and is threatening to cross over into Raider territory. Throws pick to Hayden, Raiders take over get a first down or two and kick another field goal. 10-9 Bears.

Cutler gets the ball back, but OCO is alive and the defense feeds off of it. 3 and out.

Flynn is good for a couple first downs, but again fails to covert on 3rd down Raiders punt.

Cutler drive bears down to raiders 14 yrd. line and Hayden jumps route and takes it to the house. 16-10 Raiders.

2mins left in half, and Cutler takes bears down to Raider 30. Gould puts it directly through the uprights as time expires. 16-13 Raiders at the half.

• Gdog

SnBG Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 2:43 pm

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 2:35 pm
    Raider E Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    That performance was frightening… I cannot handle another 2 win season

I thought the 2’s and 3’s played well.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

>>>>

Any line that gives up that many sacks is frightening… I don’t care how much fairy dust you shovel on it.

• SnBG

Can you even name the Balt CBs? Or the niners?

Any of the Giants CBs from the year before?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox,Smith, Webb, Williams. I think one of the main reasons the niners lost the SB was because the Ravens O beat them deep several times and the Bronks lost their playoff game because Baily was old and slow.

• ElkGRaider

That’s one detailed prediction Raider E…

• ElkGRaider

New post

• Raider E

ElkGRaider Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 2:54 pm
    That’s one detailed prediction Raider
    ————————————-

I’m puttin’ it down for The Nation.

Go big or go home.

• Raider E

that post is lacking a comments section, Elk.

• SnBG

Who covers the receiver in the NFL? Can LBs stay with the fast WRs? Can the safties cover WRs consistently. Amswer is no. You need CBs that specialize in covarage. Good corners are gold in the NFL. Five corners on the field today isn’t even enough.

• Raider E

Who covers the receiver in the NFL?

————————————

depends on scheme….

Regardless, we need 11 angry men again….

• SnBG

Ravens Webb raised his level of play to the point that many Ravens fans were upset he was given a Pro Bowl invitation. Not a single passing touchdown was put on the board all season by the players he was covering and he led the team in interceptions, highlighted by a pick-six against the New York Jets and a sweet, athletic interception of New England Patriots QB Tom Brady in the AFC Championship Game. That doesn’t matter?

• Raider E

This blog is messed up.

• Raider E

onenation

• Plunketthead

Where did everyone go?

• PlunkforHOF

Seriously, if I was this crappy at my job I’d be wondering why they kept me here.

• PlunkforHOF

So there is no comment section for the next post?

• Plunketthead

everyone must be at Klues going away party

• PlunkforHOF

Are you and I seriously the only people here #1? WTF?

• PlunkforHOF

Do you get a blank page after the live chat announcement?

• PlunkforHOF

Is this what happens when you get banned? You just go into some sort of limbo?

• Plunketthead

Yes the page is blank

• Raider E

Crickets negro….

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

PlunkforHOF Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Do you get a blank page after the live chat announcement?

============================================

BANG needs to upgrade their WordPress version.

• willy91137

The what radio station r the Raiders on tonight does anybody know ?

• Plunketthead
  • willy91137

Plunketthead Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 5:31 pm
    *************************

• shutdown

According to the Raiders’ official site, tonight’s game will not be on The Game, 95.7. The A’s are on.

This has become a damn Little League team in every way. No Bay Area AM station covers us; we are relegated to an FM station (KFox) that I can’t even pick up on my radios in the EAst Bay. I have to use my computer, a laptop that gets hot if I listen to the radio too long.

• Plunketthead

There are comments on the other blog but I cannot see them. I give up.

• willy91137

Shutdown Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 5:44 pm

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    IT IS 102.1 FM

• willy91137

Shutdown Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 5:44 pm
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I WACH ON LINE

• PlunkforHOF

The management of this blog is so sad that I just don’t know what to say… I would fire myself if I was this crappy at my job.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

In case anyone’s interested, this board is operating off WordPress 2.8.4, which came out 4 years ago. Unless you’re running IE8 with Windows XP, this ancient version of WordPress doesn’t know WHAT to think of your browser.

• willy91137

I want to see the Raiders on defense DJ Hayden playing against the run

I want to see him cover Brandon Marshall

• shutdown

IT IS 102.1 FM
    ______________________

CAn’t picked that up on the radio either–so it’s playing on the laptop.

• PlunkforHOF

Was wondering if they just shut this place down. My email had a new link to live chat with Cork

• shutdown

McFadden not playing tonight because of shoulder.

• PlunkforHOF

Yep ..protocol is totally different on chat. Cork ignoring people.. No other chat.. Are we done?