Raiders not yet feeling the draft

First off, it takes a few years to assess a draft and it’s way too early to draw any definite conclusions on how Reggie McKenzie has fared in terms of procuring rookie talent.

Considering the Raiders have more than $40 million tied up in dead money under the salary cap, you’d think it would be a haven for young talent to get the chance to start and flourish.

Not so.

When the Raiders host the Chicago Bears tonight at 7 p.m. at O.co Coliseum, there will in all probability be three starters from McKenzie drafts _ cornerback D.J. Hayden, defensive tackle Christo Bilukidi and strong side linebacker Sio Moore. A pair of undrafted free agents who made the roster in 2012, wide receiver Rod Streater and left guard Lucas Nix, will be starters on the offense.

When the season begins on Sept. 8, the plan is for Pat Sims to step in as a starting tackle in place of Bilukidi, and there’s a chance Tracy Porter will return from a groin injury in time to give Hayden more time to develop after a late start. That would leave one McKenzie/Allen starter on defense, along with Streater and presumably Nix on offense.

A thumbnail sketch of McKenzie’s draft picks:

2013

1/12 CB D.J. Hayden, Houston: We’ll get to learn a lot tonight against Chicago and there is no way to know how he’ll respond to contact. Considering where he was picked, he should be starting before it gets too deep into the season.

2/42 OT Menelik Watson, Florida State: Got an even later start than Hayden, and although he has only 19 games of college football experience, Watson will be thrown off the high dive and be forced to swim very soon. The Raiders are that thin up front.

3/66 LB Sio Moore, Connecticut: The coaching staff fell in love with Moore at the Senior Bowl. Penciled in as a starter the moment he was drafted. Now he has to live up to it.

4/112 QB Tyler Wilson, Arkansas: Looked like he could be best pure passer on the team during offseason work. Getting almost no work behind third-team undrafted free agent Matt McGloin. Will McKenzie cut his own fourth-round draft pick?

6/172 TE Nick Kasa, Colorado: Converted defensive lineman fell behind after missing offseason with a hamstring strain. Has size and skill set of an every-down tight end. Trying to sneak Kasa to the practice squad would be a gamble.

6/181 RB Latavius Murray, Central Florida: Currently out indefinitely after arthroscopic ankle surgery, Murray is an intriguing specimen but his propensity for injury in college has so far followed him in to the NFL.

6/184 TE Mychal Rivera, Tennessee: Looks as if he can be useful immediately as a pass receiving tight end, although perhaps not enough girth to play every down along the line. Has natural feel for passing game and getting open, with good hands.

6/205 DT Stacy McGee, Oklahoma: Watch McGee during blocking drills and it’s apparent why he was worth a gamble even though he had some personal conduct issues in college. Strong and explosive, although not ready to be in rotation as of yet.

7/209 WR Brice Butler, San Diego State: Big, fast and making a run at getting playing time as a rookie. One of the nice surprises of training camp.

7/233 DE David Bass, Missouri Western State: Had a big moment against New Orleans with sack of Seneca Wallace that resulted in a touchdown for undrafted free agent Ryan Robinson. Concerns are that he simply looks small and occasionally gets buried by tackles that outweigh him by 50 pounds

2012

3/95 G-T Tony Bergstrom, Utah: Competed with Nix at left guard, with Nix apparently getting the edge. Bergstrom, drafted when Raiders were a zone blocking team, could have a role as a swing player at guard and tackle.

4/129 LB Miles Burris, San Diego State: Had solid rookie season as a 15-game starter at strong side linebacker, but still hasn’t recovered from off-season knee surgery. Moore took his spot, and Burris, if he gets healthy will back up Nick Roach in the middle. Could open season on Physically Unable to Perform list and be out for nearly half the season, if he makes roster.

5/158 DL Jack Crawford, Penn State: Given his performance against New Orleans, an example why you need patience in assessing a draft. Made more of an impression in one series than he did all of last season as a raw athlete learning his craft.

5/168 WR Juron Criner, Arizona: Struggled to learn offensive system as a rookie, and then the Raiders put in an entirely new one for Year 2. Now is injured. Hard to give up on because the type of jump-and-catch receiver who can score in the red zone and that’s a trait the Raiders desperately need.

6/189 DT Christo Bilukidi, Georgia State: Looks as if Bilukidi will be in an interior rotation along with Vance Walker and Pat Sims.

7/230 LB Nathan Stupar, Penn State: Didn’t make 53-man roster out of training camp, later cut from practice squad.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• 24

Damn you Palmer…damn you!

• Raider E

I see hayden balling tonight like a f*ckin’ natural in the secondary.

2 picks, baby!!!!

Palmer & Knapp are both trash.

equals, in my book

• lefty12

24-we haven’t won anywhere for far too long,not just at home.When the team is good,the coliseum is a huge home field advantage.

• willy91137

LeAfty12

left tackles are as hard to find that shutdown corners when we had shell and Upshaw and Dolby

and Hades and Haynes that was one bad a$$ football team

• JLofty

Nice piece Jerry

• 24

DJ Johnny haha…seriously? I somehow doubt that but it’s funny. So, the visiting teams win while stricken by fear? Can’t fear make you harder, better, faster, stronger? =P

• The_Judge37

Reggie is building this team through Undrafted Free Agency.

• DJ Johnny

J Hill Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:12 pm
    99 yard drive by SD after we cut it to 31-26.

Fat arsse Tolbert breaking off that long run was comical.

First off I think we got robbed and it should’ve been SD punting since it appeared to be a safety to me.

At any rate, a 99 yard drive w/ everything on the line?

That’s why I had NO problem with what Hue said afterword.

That pos defense deserved every bit of criticism for that reaming they took.

Really? Not one guy could stand up and say “not today b1tches?” “Not in our house..NOT today?”

Oh well…maybe i’ll get over it someday.

My hope is now we have a defense that can make that stop in the clutch.

• Raider E

@ Rockstar

We know how you feel, my man. It is well documented lol :)

Belated Congrats on the little girl.

What’s her first name and why?

Seriously, I think it may be interesting.

• 24

We had Hades at corner? Jesus Christ! lol

Jay “gunslinger” Cutler throws a ton of INT’s

he’s playing in a new system and admits not everybody has bought in to Trestman as of yet …

BMarsh will look to get physical with Hayden, knowing this is his first time with NFL contact

BMarsh will win a few battles and snag some balls, but Hayden will jump a route and might even take it to the house. DJ will have a WELCOME TO THE NFL moment, then proceed to kick some ass tonight

Chicago Cubs 17
    Oakland Pirates 20

• 24

JLofty – Nice piece Jerry? That sounded…

• DJ Johnny

24 Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I know. Keep in mind this is a Chi. radio guy who doesn’t follow the Raiders much if at all.

I always thought the “atmosphere” at the OCO caused teams to just get more fired up against us.

• lefty12

Willy,I loved the defensive backfield that had Tatum,Atkinson,Skip Thomas,and I believe it was Kent McCloughen(it might have been Dave Grayson).

• The_Judge37

Chicago Cubs 17
    Oakland Pirates 20
    ——

6 FG’s and a Saftey?

• Raider E

lefty12 Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:17 pm

—————————————

This is the problem. Fans in Oaktown need to get rabid across the board no matter the record. It makes a difference.

Up here in WA. since 89′ and there have been some downright crappy Seattle teams, but their fams come out loud, win or lose, consistently.

Oakland wants to cry about the team, but the fans have been quitters too.

Not all of you, but I’m sure everyone knows somebody.

• 0ak r8rs

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:47 am
    BERGSTROM WASTE OF A pick for crappy ZBS scheme.

BRIESEL BUST of a FA signee for crappy ZBS scheme 20 million at that.

telling me u couldnt take Vontaze with a 7th round pick over stupar.. yes he is in a perfect situation with bengals, ZIMMER, and MARVIN LEWIS but still

Reggie taking chances on Stacy Mgee (go look at what he did in college)

brought Brandon Underwood in last year Vontaze would be better then all of Reggies Draft class last year as a 7th round pick

@@@@@@@

Can you stop comparing burfict (a guy that 31 other teams passed on for 7 rounds) to McGee w college troubles? McGee had two DUIs, in like his sophomore year. Hardly what you had to deal with in Burfict. Would I rather have him right now than a busted pick in Stupar? Sure. But there’s something usually to be said for Penn State LBs. it just didn’t work out for whatever reason.

And lets not forget this about Burfict:

It gets worse. Burfict finishes last among linebackers in the broad jump and second to last in the vertical jump. And then, in the most sacred test of all, he runs a 5.09 40, slowest for his position. Immediately he hears whispers from the sideline, sees heads shaking, feels the stares. Soon after the drills, he checks Twitter. Big mistake. “Things faster than Vontaze Burfict” is trending:

• 24

The_Judge37 – lol…a win’s a win right?

• JLofty

Almost as bad up here Elk. Almost…

@Raider E

thanks pal. Johnnie Lee has been home from the hospital with us a few days now

she’s doing great. thanks for asking

my son “big brother” is adjusting well too. Kirk likes to give her kisses and tell random people in the store all about her, like he’s so proud

• 24

Yeah well…Seattle has a nicer stadium and a flag that says 12th Man or something.

• J Hill

e. Neither can Arizona and new coach Bruce Arians, getting in the red zone four times in the first half and scoring zero touchdowns.

—————————————————————————–

Palmer’s fault????

GM’s around the league are already wheeling & dealing .. think Reggie will get involved??

[perhaps try to get something for McFadden, Ford, Wilson or Watson?]

• 24

J Hill – Greg Knapp must be their offensive coordinator!

We should trade Pryor to the Cardinals ;)

• J Hill

That’s why I had NO problem with what Hue said afterword.

——————————————————————————

I’m sure the defense wondered why we couldn’t get in the end zone and had to kick so may FGs.

Hue BLEW it with his post game rant.

• 24

RaiderRockstar – Watson? He isn’t going anywhere.

• Raider E

@Rockstar

It’s truly amazing to share with the happiness that your family has been blessed with. best wishes and good health, my man.

• 0ak r8rs

Raider E Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:16 pm
    I see hayden balling tonight like a f*ckin’ natural in the secondary.

2 picks, baby!!!!

@@@@@@

I see Hayden getting smoked. Not taking anything away from him long term. Just tough for young CBs to perform well early. Might be the biggest leading curve in football next to QB. I can remember Aso looking foolish for an entire year and a half at least. And I think Hayden will be better than Aso, at least I think he can make plays. But expecting the worst tn, combined w another week of Reggie draft choice bashing on here.

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

• Raider E

24 Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:25 pm

———————————-

I said since I moved here in 89′. Have you ever been inside the kingdome?

It was a dump. The 3rd deck was a safety hazard.

• 24

I think WR’s take the longest. 3 Years to be complete.

• ElkGRaider

99 yard drive by SD after we cut it to 31-26.

Fat arsse Tolbert breaking off that long run was comical.
    —————

That Lions comeback was comical. I still can’t believe THAT crap. How you can have Slowlando on Calvin…

• 0ak r8rs

24 Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:31 pm
    I think WR’s take the longest. 3 Years to be complete.

@@@@@@@@

Maybe. Basically the same issue, just on the other side of the ball.

• lefty12

Ford=slot rec
    Watson=starting tackle before long
    Wilson=3rd project QB,possible future.Don’t let these early practice games fool you.He will stay,McGloin will go.

• Raider E

Oak,

I don’t think ASO was nearly as ready as Hayden. I jumping on the Hayden wagon and riding it till I fall off.

We need playmakers on D, and he has the tools.

You love to debate don’t you?

• willy91137

I look for DJ and play football tonight I hope he plays well he is our first round pick

everybody says he’s got the skills now let’s see if he can do it in the NFL am not making any productions

if I knew for sure how he could play I would not be on this blog would be a scout in the NFL’s

• inonewordraider

congrats rrs, I kno i’m a little late to the party

but is your daughters name really johnnie lee?

haha you’re crazy if so, love it

• inonewordraider

and wait, is your son named after kirk Morrison?

• Raider E

I’m willing to call her Johnnny Lee. Not that I will be talking about her much, but I have one condition.

We get to call big brother “The Judge”

lol :)

• 0ak r8rs

Raider E Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:35 pm
    Oak,

We need playmakers on D, and he has the tools.

You love to debate don’t you?

@@@@@@

Yes I do.

But mostly I just don’t wanna get too invested in this guy for this year. Very few corners come out and light the league on fire in their rookie years. Like I said, I’m not taking anything away long term. I love what I’ve seen so far from the little game film I’ve watched on him.

Maybe I’m just being pessimistic, but only short term. Good WRs like Marshall r probably gonna make him look stupid for a season or so. Just the way it is. Usually.

• willy91137

From what I have read the average person cannot play football you have to have some God-given talent to play in this league

and I think most of us on this blog don’t have that talent some guy on 95.7

said that WATSON would be a better left tackle than right that he’s very athletic

and I guess in the draft he was the second best offenseline men so I want to see him play tonight
    and the whole defensive line should be fun will have lot to argue about tomorrow

• The_Judge37

124.RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:27 pm

[perhaps try to get something for McFadden, Ford, Wilson or Watson?]
    —-

Or perhaps all 4, for some conditional 7th round picks?

• willy91137

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Charles Woodson did

• SnBG

I’m intrigued with Watson at LT. It could be rough for him to try it right now but with work and some time playing the position he may be the answer.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

—————–

dude I wont stop comparing anyone. This is my OPNION. You dont like it keep it moving. It it doesnt apply to you keep it moving.

Fact is Reggie should have taken a chance especially with the lack of talent on this roster.

I dont care how many GMS passed on somebody, it doesnt make it right. 31 Gms passed on BRADY.. 32 GMS passed on ARIAN FOSTER, PASSED ON VICTOR CRUZ, PASSED ON JAMES HARRISON. blah blah.. I DONT CARE. Instead of Nathan Stupar i would have liked him to taken a chance on Burfict

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I dont care what BURFICT Combine numbers were.. turn on the tape. Its clear he was better then STUPAR.. got it??

I wouldnt have been bring up this if we didnt take a LB in the 7th round. JERRY made a TOPIC on draft picks.. and I commented on it. Dont like it, keep it moving PERIOD

• SnBG

Yes I do.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    You are being pessimistic about Hayden and have been from the beginning when Reg drafted him.

• 0ak r8rs

• 0ak r8rs

SnBG Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    Yes I do.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

@@@@@@@

No. This is different. That’s not fair and you know it. Before it was about his health. Now it’s about the art of playing CB in the NFL. There’s a serious learning curve for CB. That’s all I’m saying. And Id say that about Milliner or any other rookie CB.