Coach Allen in no hurry to name starting QB

By Steve Corkran
Saturday, August 24th, 2013 at 6:44 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The restless contingent that feels as if Terrelle Pryor seized the starting quarterback job from Matt Flynn is going to have to wait awhile longer to find out if Raiders coach Dennis Allen arrives at the same conclusion.

Allen said Saturday that his deadline for deciding between Pryor and Flynn is “sometime before the first game” Sept. 8, when the Raiders play the Indianapolis Colts in the regular-season opener.

In the interim, Allen said, Pryor will get more reps with the first-team offense in practice in the run up to the Raiders exhibition finale against the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday night as a result of how well he played against the Chicago Bears on Friday night.

Allen said he hasn’t decided yet who is going to start against the Seahawks and whether both will play. Flynn started Oakland’s first three exhibition games, with Pryor the first of the three other quarterbacks on the roster off the bench all three times.

Projected starters typically play little, if any, in the final exhibition game. However, it’s conceivable that Allen will play both Thursday and use their performance as a final piece of the evaluation process before settling upon a starter.

Watching the tape of the Raiders 34-26 loss to the Chicago Bears on Friday night didn’t do anything to change Allen’s initial assessment, he said.

“Terrelle came in and really added a spark to us offensively,” Allen said. “He moved us down the field; he was able to put some points on the board, so that was really good to see out of him.”

Pryor completed 7 or 9 passes for 93 yards and one touchdown. He also rushed for 37 yards, including 25 on a run that yielded another touchdown.

Flynn completed 3 of 6 throws for 19 yards and no touchdowns. Two of his passes were intercepted. He also fumbled a snap.

“I don’t think Matt played as well as he or we would have liked for him to play,” Allen said.

Most teams long ago decided their starting quarterback. Even so, it’s not unprecedented for teams to take this long to name a starter.

Naturally, Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie would prefer to have a clear-cut starter at the most important position. That’s simply not the case as a result of the way Flynn and Pryor played since training camp started, in particular against the Bears.

“We got to continue to get better, we got to keep moving forward,” Allen said, “and that’s a position that we’re still continuing to evaluate.”

– Rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden “was a little rusty” in his Raiders debut, Allen said. “You could tell it was his first time he played in a football game in awhile.”

Hayden played Friday night for the first time since he suffered a near-fatal injury last November during a practice for the University of Houston.

– Wide receiver Rod Streater won’t be back on the practice field until he passes the mandatory tests for players that suffer a concussion. He suffered his against the Bears.

– Allen said neither Chris Kluwe nor Marquette King “really punted the ball all that great” against the Bears. Kluwe has an edge over King as a holder on field-goal and extra-point attempts and “that will have something to do with the decision we make.”

– Rookie quarterback Tyler Wilson was slated to get some playing time against the Bears, Allen said. Things changed when fellow rookie Matt McGloin played well during his time, and Allen wanted to take a longer look at McGloin.

– Allen said he expects projected starting cornerback Tracy Porter (groin) back at practice Sunday, though in a limited capacity.

– Tight end David Ausberry (shoulder) is showing signs of improvement, and he has a chance to be back in time for the season-opening game, Allen said.

**************************
    You may not be blind but SnBg is.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Yep, I’m blind to total unfair negativity without talking about the positives. For this team I don’t think Flynn is the answer while Pryor is. It’s the preseason. It’s about getting the things fixed that don’t work. It’s about finding the guys that can play.
    I would say that you and several others here only spew negativity. Makes me sick. Thank god you guys don’t run the team.

• 0ak r8rs

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:10 am
    just want to see tp to progress and improve. cant expect many wins
    ==================================================
    That’s right.

Good thing is we did see progress and improvement.

3 plays in particular.

Not the heave to Streeter. That was a good effort but not really something to build on.

Same thing with the incomplete pass to Ford up the right sideline.

The run for the TD ? Extremely impressive, but not what I’m looking for as a sign of ‘progress’.

The pass to Rivera might have been TP’s best throw as a pro.

The rollout right and completion to Butler was very well designed and executed.

The clutch 3rd and long seam throw to Kasa was well timed and put just where it had to be.

Those 3 plays were extremely encouraging.

As was the 3rd down conversion to Holmes that had the RAIDS first and goal at the Saint 7 yard line last week.

Those 4 plays are evidence of significant progress and are the types of throws TP will have to continue to make if he wants to be a franchise QB.

He’s not there yet. But he’s getting closer.

Don’t know if he’s ever going to realize his potential, but I’ll tell you this – if he doesn’t, it won’t be due to lack of effort.

Don’t know how anyone can’t love this guy.

@@@@@@@@

It was a nice completion to Holmes on the sideline too. Thought he was gonna go OOB or take another sack, but found Holmes 12 yards downfield.

• SnBG

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:07 am
    seymour is 3x better than anything on the line right now…
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ROTHFLMAS!

• RAIDERMAN99

There is nothing wrong with criticism but when you solely give criticism without any positives there is something not right.
    ================================================
    I’ll leave it to you to come up with the positives.

I haven’t seen many.

I give TA props for doing a good job working through a vicious string of injuries to the secondary last year.

Give him props for handling his father’s passing with dignity.

Give him props for sitting and eventually ‘green-beanying’ Roturdo. (Think the RAIDS should have cut him on the spot for talking schit to TA, but I blame RM for that).

That’s about it.

There’s a TON of mistakes he’s made.

No need to keep going over them.

You might think I have an agenda.

LMAO.

FTY

• Al_is_theraiders

keep laughing so are the rbs tearing a hole thru it…oh and the qbs with all day to throw…

• Raiderbuck

Flynn has shown that he can get tackled and throw interception,…

• SnBG

Lets see, DA took a D that was 28 in the league and made it 18th. Not bad.
    DA and Reg didn’t have a lot of time to find coaches last year.
    DA realized the ZBS wasn’t working so he told Knapp to run more power.
    DA has shown he can learn from mistakes and fired Knapp and now has better coaches with him.
    DA has this team competing.
    We may not win many games but this team will play hard and commit less penalties.
    The whole culture of the team is changing.
    If guys don’t want to play or can’t, they will be gone.
    Maybe DA will be fired at the end of the year but he and Reg have moved this team forward and a foundation is being built here.
    I’m not ready to say DA is a bust. I’ll reserve that for next year.

• Whoknows

*************************************************
    It’s not about being negative or positive it is being a realist. I can say Reggie has done a good job with the cap and has gotten rid of some dead weight. Other than that though at this point I don’t see the positives.
    Can you be objective and see the negatives?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Plunketthead Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 8:49 am
    Al Davis inc owns ironclad rights to manage the team even though they don’t own a controlling interest in the Raider football team itself.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From memory, the Davis family owns something like 48% of the team.

However, when it comes to policy, moving, etc the limited partners have no say because only the General Partner shares can vote.

In the seventies there were three general partners: McGah, Valley, and Al.
    Valley didn’t like Al and tried to squeeze him out so Al blitzed him when he wasn’t looking.

Changing the three partner took agreement just two partners.
    So Al waited until Valley left the country and got together with McGah and persuaded him to change the partner agreement so that Valley couldn’t squeeze Al out.

Valley came back and was pizzed and ended up selling his share.

Al was running the team and he then proceeded to set it up so that only the General Partner shares, which belonged to him, could affect policy including moves or anything else.
    Limited partners have no vote.
    I believe only the NFL, at this point, can take the team away.
    As far as I know, it’s still that way.

As I say, Al blitzed Valley. Al got the mine and Valley got the shaft.

• SnBG

Whoknows Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am
    *************************************************
    Can you be objective and see the negatives?
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Yes I can see the negative but so many here do such a good job of pointing them out I don’t have to. If you remember I wanted Reg to take a pass rusher or Floyd, he didn’t. Yes we look bad now. I also said Flynn isn’t the answer and I want Pryor to start. Yes I see an O line that’s in trouble. I see all of that but I’m not going to be hateful about it. I want a coaching staff here that gets a chance to fix things. I’ve seen enough football to know that teams like the Raiders take time to become good. Some of the greatest coaches in the history of the NFL have taken years to be great. Rome wasn’t built in a day. That’s all I’m saying.

• chuck

The person that made the comment that Pryor only threw 3 good balls and said the td pass was a bad throw doesn’t know anything about football,that td pass was thrown behind because the defender was in front similar to a back shoulder throw.Every announcer and reporte saw that except one person.It must be a personal reason you don’t like Pryor,

• RaiderSam

LB corps still a concern…Raiders picked up Chase Thomas (guess Tarver remembered him from Stanford days)

“OLB Chase Thomas, who was rated as one of the top undrafted rookie free agents following the 2013 draft. Thomas wasn’t employed long, though, as he was claimed off waivers by Oakland”
    source; Great Blue North Draft Report

Patrick Crayton and WR Steve Breaston are out there, too.

“Raiders claimed OLB Chase Thomas off waivers from the Saints.
    A rookie undrafted free agent, Thomas was a four-year starter at Stanford, racking up 27.5 sacks. Talent-deficient Oakland is the right place for a young player to latch on, but Thomas is still a roster long-shot”
    source; Rotoworld

• 0ak r8rs

Just listing some positives, not ignoring negatives:

1. DBs went from the weakest spot in our D to the strongest in one season

2. LBs r dramatically improved as well. The way Burnett is playing, it’s obvious we don’t miss wheeler at all, and all the other LBs r obviously better than what we started with last year.

3. TEs r dramatically better as well. And who would have thought after letting Myers go and deciding not to pay him $4 million? All of a sudden we have TEs we don’t want to cut. Been a while since we could say that.

4. Restructured contracts not to avoid the current salary cap consequences and mortgage the future, but instead to get relief and space for the future.

5. It’s obvious he’s building long term. We have guys across the board that its gonna suck to let go. Our 2s and 3s have beaten every team every week.

6. He’s done what he can w the money he has. Sims, Walker, Burnett, Maieva, CWood, Young, Roach, Jenkins, Porter. All these guys and more have been brought in on one and two year contracts and r ready to compete. They aren’t top tier guys, but they r way above what we brought in last year. More cap room = better players.

Three weeks ago after the Dallas win we weren’t having many of these conversations. Veldheer goes down and we have a couple of preseason losses and all of a sudden the sky is falling. Well, we knew the sky as gonna fall. I thought we might be better right now too. But I never thought we would be in the playoffs either. To expect that this year, and maybe even next year, would be delusional.

Although, we need to be .500 or better next year. Otherwise it will be pretty clear that things r going wrong somewhere.

• RaiderSam

Whoknows Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:30 am
    *************************************************
    Can you be objective and see the negatives?

============================

realist
    1. they are talent deficient due to past horrific draft picks, lack of a GM, and zero autonomy with coaching staff
    2. they have not found the next QB (essential to any team turn around)
    3. they have not re-invented themselves

optimist
    1. they’ll have cap space to sign quality FA
    2. they may have found a gem in Terrelle Pryor which would negate an expensive investment in a QB or search for a “2nd round gem” insert Todd Hundley (UCLA) or Georgia’s QB
    3. they can jettison a non-motivating “perfectionist” that is stubborn with zero talent or vision or resourcefulness to adjust on the fly.

• romania

#698 Oakland is a wonderful place. Yeah the police force has been gutted, but the Chinese aren’t going to dump $1.5 billion for nothing. It will be a magnet for more development in the Jack London Sq area.

On the OC, I say fix up what’s already there. Use the Golden State arena for a football/Raider’s HOF mall. Break up some of that sea of asphalt. Golden State are leaving anyway.

SF has terrible crime too, homeless everywhere, great pr.

Construction starts in maybe 6 months on this very high profile development. That’s just infrastructure and that will take a year, but all the approvals are done. Thousands of local jobs.

They’re selling 1600 sq ft 1 car garage 3 bed 2 bath boxes in dogtown in industrial Emeryville for $620,000 in 2 weeks on the market. It’s all spill over from the crazy prices in SF.

Tax base and money builds community and security. Commercial builds money.

• RaiderSam

0ak R8rs Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:43 am
    Just listing some positives, not ignoring negatives:

1. DBs went from the weakest spot in our D to the strongest in one season

=======================

the opposite could be true; more cap room = more mercenaries that wont buy in, given a decade of double digit losses.

but lets stay positive – they could be in line for Jadevon Clowney (if he wont be a signing problem)
    they must solve Quarterback , though.

• RaiderSam

Myopinion Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:11 am
    Oak,
    The second da loses the locker room he needs to be fired immedeitly. Thats my fear with him. sparano could do his job I think.

==========

yeah, pieces are in place, as Joey “Bag-O-change” Clinkscale was with Sporano in N.Y., and he’d at least instill the discipline

might even be able to bring over DT Randy Starks from Miami in FA next year along with a few other Dolphins.

• SpudRaider

Other teams are starting to cut… Here comes are starters!!!!

• Just Fire Baby

So now what give him 4 weeks. Thats why I dont lie, it just gets bigger and bigger,and harder to cover.

*********************************

Been in a few of those, lol.

Needed to keep notes in my younger days.

• RAIDERMAN99

As you all know, I’ve been a big supporter of TP from the beginning.

Never wavered in my belief that the RAIDS should put every effort into trying to develop him as a QB and make a determination on him ASAP.

Blasted TA and Krapp all last year for failing to do so and going with Matt Lice instead.

What’s done is done.

What I will NOT do now, is blast MF for being a total scrub.

I don’t think he is.

He is NOT playing well right now, but he also is in a bad situation.

I still think MF can be effective in the right situation.

I saw his game against Detroit and I don’t think it was a fluke.

He doesnt have a great arm, but it’s not as weak as people make it out to be.

Unfortunately for MF, he’s playing behind a swiss cheese line and doesn’t have much of a WR corps to throw to.

He’s not the type of guy that can overcome those two huge obstacles. Not many can. Takes a really great leader or athlete to do that.

Still, I do not think MF is a scrub.

Think he gets way too much heat and hate in here.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaiderSam Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:46 am

=========================================

How would he be a signing problem? The rookie salary scale dictates what he’ll get paid.

• SnBG

I will hold my opinion about the D line until I see all of the starters playing together. Right now, with some backups in, they don’t look good and can’t seem to hold the edge. Houston who is usually good at holding the edge hasn’t been doing that so far. It seems like he is going for the sack more than being disciplined in his assignment.

• RaiderSam

SpudRaider Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:49 am
    Other teams are starting to cut… Here comes are starters!!!!

=============

WR Patrick Crayton
    WR Steve Breaston (has been injured too much, though)
    TE Vishante Shiancoe (33..probably on the way out)
    QB Graham Harrell (why didnt we sign Vince Young , again?)
    DE Kyle Moore (had a sack against us, why not?)
    WR Tommy Streeter (never made a catch – has wheels, though – Al davis pick)

• RaiderSam

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:49 am
    RaiderSam Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:46 am

=========================================

============

The “i dont want to play for them” signing problem

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaiderSam Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:53 am

why didnt we sign Vince Young , again?

==========================================

Because Young’s a prima donna who tries to get his coaches the minute they do something he doesn’t like.

• SpudRaider

RaiderSam

************************************************
    Personally not unless there is a real implosion this year do I see DA getting fired. By this, I hate to say, means LESS then 4 wins.

However, if he does and Saprano takes over and your scenario is correct about Miami players coming in droves. Will be rehashing the same sh!t from this year. Accept insert Miami instead of GB.

• SnBG

Pryor need to start. He gives us the best chance to win while we get the Oline together. He can run around and make plays to help the Oline and if and when Sporano fixes the problems then Pryor can settle down and play a little more conventional. A lot will also depend on how well our RBs do. Without them we will need Pryor to make up for it. Flynn cannot do these things.

• Just Fire Baby

Call it nothing more than a hunch, and a distaste for any national media love-fest, but I think Clowney is going to be disappoint.

Not that he won’t be good, but the level of praise on him at this stage, if he turns into Javon Kearse that would be considered disappointing.

I always say the three best D-lineman I ever seen in college were Andre Wadsworth, Glenn Dorsey and Suh. All were picked in the top 5 (3 maybe).

Wadsworth got hurt and did nothing, Suh is a beast with temper issues, and Dorsey is an average football player.

You don’t tank for lineman.

• http://000 Bob Marley

SnBG.

The 2012 Defense allowed 27.7 ppg, the 2011 Defense allowed 27.1.

The 2012 Defense generated 30 turnovers and 25 sacks, the 2011 Defense generated 35 turnovers and 38 sacks.

The 2012 Raiders Defense did not get better, at all.

If you wanna pick yards allowed as your measuring stick because that’s probably the only area where 2012 was better than 2011, be my guest, but you’re not fooling anyone, penalties or not, we sucked.

By the way, both units sucked, but we knew Bresnahan was worthless, while EVERYONE here figured and predicted the Defense to be much improved under the Defensive minded Reggie, Dennis Allen and Jason Tarver.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

DA can’t bring himself along, eh?

• SpudRaider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:49 am

*********************************

Been in a few of those, lol.

Needed to keep notes in my younger days.
    *****************************************
    Well not to be overly rude, but I think you still should.

• RaiderSam

SpudRaider Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:54 am
    RaiderSam

************************************************

——————————————

1. they have to end the recycling coaches thing.
    2. D.A. must be more flexible this time around, or he’ll lose the lockerroom
    3. its a younger team with more experienced coaches
    4. do these guys want to go all out and play for him?

• SnBG

Got to love Ryan’s presser after the Sanchez injuries.

• RaiderSam

Bob Marley Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:56 am
    SnBG.

The 2012 Defense allowed 27.7 ppg, the 2011 Defense allowed 27.1.

The 2012 Raiders Defense did not get better, at all.

=========================

If Terrelle Pryor doesnt light it up, McFadden get off and the defense improves…Allen’s finished. But lets see how it goes, the cupboard was bare when he got there, so i always felt a more motivational type that could reach players is better than a tactician than has the x’s and o’s , but not necessarily the pulse of the team.

• chuck

SnBG I see you have a bad memory,hue took a bas offensive team and made them top ten 2 years in a row.As for injuries in 2011 we were 4-2 and lost our starting qb,rb that was in the MVP race and all of our wr missed time that year and we still went 8-8.

• Marks hair

quit saying da improve the D.. it isn’t true. we gave up more points than ever

• SpudRaider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:55 am
    **************************************************
    On Saturday I like watching the 9th Division of the NFL…the SEC.

Clowney is the real deal.

• Marks hair

we hired a kid known for defense and defence is glaringly our biggest problem twice in a row

• Marks hair

Clowney would instantly be the best player on our team

• RaiderSam

SpudRaider Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 10:01 am
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:55 am
    **************************************************
    On Saturday I like watching the 9th Division of the NFL…the SEC.

Clowney is the real deal.

==========

One article in PFT was saying he is a once-in-a-lifetime type player – Reggie White/Bruce Smith style defender.

i’ll settle for Julius Peppers, at this point. I really hope he is the real deal.

• Marks hair

Houston has been very overrated on this blog… I told you not to get your hopes up

• chuck

Allen defense in Denver was only ranked 23rd and that was with them not being on the field much because with tebow running they always won time of possession battle.

• Whoknows

The thing I find most interesting about this article is:
    “Matt Flynn has started just 15 football games since 2003.

That is not a typo.”

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“quit saying da improve the D.. it isn’t true. we gave up more points than ever”

I am not sure where this fallacy started but we flat out sucked last year.

• logic82

On Saturday I like watching the 9th Division of the NFL…the SEC.

Clowney is the real deal.

==========

======================================
    This is my biggest fear. I can actually see RM, given his track record, going for a QB instead of Clowney. We just can’t pass on him.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Clowney would instantly be the best player on our team”

so would an average free agent pickup.

• Marks hair

746. true

• Marks hair

I wish we had a young Bill Parcells to turn this thing around..

• RaiderSam

preliminary projection
    Jacksonville – Javedon Clowney, DE, S.Carolina
    Oakland – Marqise Lee, WR, S.Cal
    Buffalo – OT Cyrus Kouandijo, Alabama
    Cleveland – WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson
    Arizona – OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan

• RaiderSam

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 10:08 am
    “Clowney would instantly be the best player on our team”

so would an average free agent pickup.

===================

meaning completely alter the defense, and change opposing offenses, that kind of impact. (we get the sarcasm)