Coach Allen in no hurry to name starting QB

The restless contingent that feels as if Terrelle Pryor seized the starting quarterback job from Matt Flynn is going to have to wait awhile longer to find out if Raiders coach Dennis Allen arrives at the same conclusion.

Allen said Saturday that his deadline for deciding between Pryor and Flynn is “sometime before the first game” Sept. 8, when the Raiders play the Indianapolis Colts in the regular-season opener.

In the interim, Allen said, Pryor will get more reps with the first-team offense in practice in the run up to the Raiders exhibition finale against the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday night as a result of how well he played against the Chicago Bears on Friday night.

Allen said he hasn’t decided yet who is going to start against the Seahawks and whether both will play. Flynn started Oakland’s first three exhibition games, with Pryor the first of the three other quarterbacks on the roster off the bench all three times.

Projected starters typically play little, if any, in the final exhibition game. However, it’s conceivable that Allen will play both Thursday and use their performance as a final piece of the evaluation process before settling upon a starter.

Watching the tape of the Raiders 34-26 loss to the Chicago Bears on Friday night didn’t do anything to change Allen’s initial assessment, he said.

“Terrelle came in and really added a spark to us offensively,” Allen said. “He moved us down the field; he was able to put some points on the board, so that was really good to see out of him.”

Pryor completed 7 or 9 passes for 93 yards and one touchdown. He also rushed for 37 yards, including 25 on a run that yielded another touchdown.

Flynn completed 3 of 6 throws for 19 yards and no touchdowns. Two of his passes were intercepted. He also fumbled a snap.

“I don’t think Matt played as well as he or we would have liked for him to play,” Allen said.

Most teams long ago decided their starting quarterback. Even so, it’s not unprecedented for teams to take this long to name a starter.

Naturally, Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie would prefer to have a clear-cut starter at the most important position. That’s simply not the case as a result of the way Flynn and Pryor played since training camp started, in particular against the Bears.

“We got to continue to get better, we got to keep moving forward,” Allen said, “and that’s a position that we’re still continuing to evaluate.”

– Rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden “was a little rusty” in his Raiders debut, Allen said. “You could tell it was his first time he played in a football game in awhile.”

Hayden played Friday night for the first time since he suffered a near-fatal injury last November during a practice for the University of Houston.

– Wide receiver Rod Streater won’t be back on the practice field until he passes the mandatory tests for players that suffer a concussion. He suffered his against the Bears.

– Allen said neither Chris Kluwe nor Marquette King “really punted the ball all that great” against the Bears. Kluwe has an edge over King as a holder on field-goal and extra-point attempts and “that will have something to do with the decision we make.”

– Rookie quarterback Tyler Wilson was slated to get some playing time against the Bears, Allen said. Things changed when fellow rookie Matt McGloin played well during his time, and Allen wanted to take a longer look at McGloin.

– Allen said he expects projected starting cornerback Tracy Porter (groin) back at practice Sunday, though in a limited capacity.

– Tight end David Ausberry (shoulder) is showing signs of improvement, and he has a chance to be back in time for the season-opening game, Allen said.

Steve Corkran

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Marks Hair

Even if Pryor lights it up and becomes RG3 I still don’t see how we will win more than 4 games…do you?

• SpudRaider

RaiderSam

The only other player that has impressed me as much as Clowney in College was Vick. Vick amazed me his senior year. If the whole idiotic dog fighting thing hadn’t happened I think he would have won one if not two Super Bowls by now. He isn’t the same man since that event, or will ever be. Great “Once In A Lifetime” players have to have the utmost belief in themselves, with an accompanying amount of hubris.
    I thought Vick had that…sadly disappointed

Next man up for “Once In A Lifetime” player Clowney.

• RaiderSam

Marks Hair Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 10:11 am
    I wish we had a young Bill Parcells to turn this thing around..

==============

dont come around too often

is it Kirby Smart , Alabama?
    or Rocky Seto, Seahawks

i remember when Steve Spagnuolo was the next big thing….missing talent or not, it takes a particular personality, personnel and right QB to turn it around.

• Whoknows

I can’t see us winning many games with Pryor but I can see us winning 0 with Flynn.

• RAIDERMAN99

You don’t tank for lineman.
    ===============================
    Have to agree with this.

Don’t like the idea of tanking, period…but can see doing it for the right QB.

That’s about it.

Of course, it’s a moot point with the 2013 RAIDS.

They’re not going to have to ‘tank’ it to get to the 14 loss level.

They’re going to have to pull every stop and get lucky to get two wins.

Still sticking with 6-10 after seeing the Bears work the RAIDS, JFB ?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I’m thinking Veldheer is our best player, skill wise.

• Marks hair

well if he has an rg3 season this year then I’d have to guess we get more than four wins.. but I don’t see how he can do that playing on this team. we can’t block we can’t catch we can’t defend..

• SnBG

RaiderSam Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 10:00 am
    Bob Marley Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:56 am
    SnBG.

The 2012 Defense allowed 27.7 ppg, the 2011 Defense allowed 27.1.

The 2012 Defense generated 30 turnovers and 25 sacks, the 2011 Defense generated 35 turnovers and 38 sacks.

The 2012 Raiders Defense did not get better, at all.

If you wanna pick yards allowed as your measuring stick because that’s probably the only area where 2012 was better than 2011, be my guest, but you’re not fooling anyone, penalties or not, we sucked.

By the way, both units sucked, but we knew Bresnahan was worthless, while EVERYONE here figured and predicted the Defense to be much improved under the Defensive minded Reggie, Dennis Allen and Jason Tarver.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Didn’t say we where great but with all of the injuries the Raiders run defense improved and yes the injuries went down and with all of the injuries the D sustained we still improved from 28-29 overall to 18 over all. We also shut out the Chiefs and yes a shut out against any NFL team is pretty impressive.

• Raiderbuck

Yeah it’s going to be another long year for Raider Fans,… (I wonder how many times I have typed that sentence in the last ten years,…)

• RaiderSam

SpudRaider Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 10:13 am
    RaiderSam

I thought Vick had that…sadly disappointed

Next man up for “Once In A Lifetime” player Clowney.

==========================

• SnBG

OOPS! I meant to say penalties and not injuries.

• Marks hair

snbg… yards don’t matter to a defense. points allowed to do. I know da is your father but please stop the madness

• logic82

“Although, we need to be .500 or better next year. Otherwise it will be pretty clear that things r going wrong somewhere.”

If we don’t get Clowney then this team has absolutely zero chance of making it to .500. Why? Because the majority of the team is either on the last of their contracts or 1 year signings. The team is going to be terrible this year. Unless we sign someone to give this team hope nobody will want to stay and only the desperate and scrubs will want to come here. The rebuilding of this team begins in 2014. Hoping for .500 is a bit ambitious even with Clowney. Without him, its just another 10 years of futility.

• ElkGRaider

Clooney, Lee, or the tackle from Michigan would all be welcome in Oakland. Should be one hell of a draft

• ElkGRaider

*Clowney

• SpudRaider

RaiderSam

*************************************************
    Every post from then on from me would start w/ “Fire Shrek now.”

• Marks hair

I’m already hearing the same old crap about us from “friends”..

why do the Raiders always suck?

why do they always choose the wrong coach and then fire him in a year or two?

why do they always choose bad quarterbacks?

Raiders just can’t catch the ball..

• Marks hair

we are clearly on the 10 and then plan.. this year should have been back up to eight and eight. but we are just chock full of awful instead.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I’m thinking Veldheer is our best player, skill wise.”

WOW we agree on something.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“we are clearly on the 10 and then plan.. ”

YES!! I can see it now we win one more game every year and in 10 years we will be 14-2….Whooooooo!!

(sarcasm)

• DJ Johnny

I’m not a Raider employee so my interest is from the perspective as a fan who wants to enjoy watching my favorite team play and win.

The thought of Flynn starting now does absolutely nothing for my interest and/or excitement level.

You guys can pull up all the stats u want but Flynn sucked in New Orleans and sucked horribly vs. Bears.

I don’t know what some of u are seeing that makes you want to see Flynn behind center right now.

The GB games? Awesome, but I’ve seen no indication that that same magic came with him to Oakland.

Pryor is the only thing I took away from that Bears game that gives me any optimism (outside of Hayden maybe and our receivers not dropping balls too much).

Pryor is only hope i’m seeing.

• SpudRaider

I was re-watching that Hollywood Classic “Conan the Barbarian” late one night last week. I had forgotten that Ben Davidson played one of James Earl Jones henchman.

Now there was a Raider….One of AL’s projects, a hurderler in college. Became a terror to play against… I will never forget when he smashed in Joe Namath’s face mask.

We need those types of players, those types of teams. DA will never allow a team like that. the closest teams to that were Ditka’s in the late 80′s.

• logic82

“Nice post Bob as always well written and thought out….This is the issue…they have installed an entire offense for Flynn, they have their eggs in his basket. Moving to Pryor means a different offense for not only the QB but the WR RB o-line TE etc. now our team is starting over again just like its June learning a new offense and the season starts in 2 weeks.”
    ================================
    No!!!! Pryor still had to learn the playbook just like Flynn since he was 2nd string.

Now, if that isn’t true, if DA only let Pryor learn the special packages and not give him the regular playbook then this is proof positive DA deliberately tried to sabotage and marginalize TP.

• Marks hair

at this point I think the Swarco Raiders could give us a run for our money while flynn is under center..

• Marks hair

instead of developing prior properly he is forcing him to learn a lot of extra crap… you can sprinkle in a little read option but you can’t just make it a package at this level. he’s just wasting practice time

• logic82

“that being said – what if we had him – and traded the pick for additional picks – say to Tennessee for a 1, 2 a 2015 2 and 4?”

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again. He is a once in a lifetime player. You don’t trade that away.

• DJ Johnny

I hate the “Clown for Clowney” talk.

That is such a losers mentality.

• SpudRaider

DJ Johnny

*****************************************************
    I do not understand why every one hypes his GB victories. If I remember correctly, These were games late in the year where GB already had momentum, this alone was going to carry them to victory.

I think it would be more relevant if he had played these two games in the middle of the season when they were struggling and he came in an won….this would show leadership, ability.

• SpudRaider

Marks hair

why do you keep referring to Pryor as “prior?” I just don’t get it.

• Marks hair

its not a loser mentality at all.. you can’t win every battle. you have to look at the big picture while trying to win the war.. 8 win teams should not tank.. 4 win teams should probably think about it for a guy as good as Clowney..

• Marks hair

I say pryor to my phone, and it normally writes prior or sometimes fryer.

• VanHeathen30

This team needs to learn how to win, but first it needs to learn how to compete on Sundays?
    Does anyone remember the Massive beatings we took last year?
    Anyone counting the Jags as a Win could be in for a rude awakening, and this team could easily be 0-4 after 4 weeks… Then what?

• DJ Johnny

Spud, True. I give him credit for those games since it is best qb performance in GB history and it shows he has ability but maybe he’s just not a match for this team.

I couldn’t be any less inspired by a QB going into a season than I am about Flynn.

It just seems so boring and “lose-y”. Lol. I don’t know how to describe it.

Not feelin it w/ Flynn.

If some of u guys are excited about him…I hope you’re right.

• mcthompso

No professional sports team should purposely tank. Ever. That would be the antithesis of professional. It is a nice consolation to be able to get Clowney or Bridgewater after a terrible season, but the sport exists b/c of competition, and it would be the most classless move possible to purposely tank for a draft pick. That is perhaps the only thing that could get me to quit pulling for the Raiders. It won’t happen, and it shouldn’t happen.

• SnBG

Marks Hair Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 10:34 am
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Pryor

• VanHeathen30

This team gave up over 200 points between weeks 9 and 14 last year, after back to back wins which accounted for 2 of our 4 wins…worst stretch of defensive football in team history.,.
    This team needs to learn how to compete every week, don’t think we have to ‘tank’ to get the first pick…

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Remember back in 2007 when a poster on this board was ANGRY that we won a game because we had just supposedly blown our big chance at drafting DMac? Yes, that’s right. ANGRY that we won.

Tanking is for losers. LITERALLY.

• Raiders for life

Alex Parsons ‏@A_Parsons67 2h
    Id like to thank the Raiders for the opportunity to play the game I love and the #raidernation for the support over the years #bearded1

Did he just get cut?

• VanHeathen30

Those 6 games last year would have sank any other teams HC, but Mark can’t afford o pay more people who aren’t in the building…got plenty of them already.

• NGRaiderfan

We need to move wiz back to guard. I’m not sold on him as a center

• oakfasho

Once again I skip right over Allens comments knowing all to well how full of sht he is.

• Marks hair

again yes I know how to spell are quarterbacks name I’m on a mobile phone and I don’t want to type and fix everything it messes up…
    I even understand the difference between are and our and hour…

• The Big Banana

Good posts, Marks Hair and DJ, as always.

• Marks hair

I heard the same nonsense last year we’re going to teach our guys how to win by competing….

no you’re going to hurt the fan base by not winning nearly enough to even be mediocre..

you need to talent to win talent comes from the draft..

and if you don’t think we’re taking this year take a look at the tarps and the 50 million dollars in Dead Money.

• DJ Johnny

Banana, Thanks man.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

SpudRaider Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:49 am

Other teams are starting to cut… Here comes are starters!!!!
    =======================================

hahaha. Good one.

• Whoknows

Trade Flynn to the Jets or the Bills. Make it happen Reggie.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Marks Hair Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 10:56 am
    ===========================================

Flynn was not competing last game. Pryor was.

• DJ Johnny

Seymour Bush Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 11:01 am
    SpudRaider Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:49 am

Other teams are starting to cut… Here comes are starters!!!!
    =======================================

hahaha. Good one.

We laugh but there may be a lot of truth to that.

• shutdown

romania Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 9:46 am
    #698 Oakland is a wonderful place. Yeah the police force has been gutted, but the Chinese aren’t going to dump $1.5 billion for nothing. It will be a magnet for more development in the Jack London Sq area.
    ________________________

Uh huh. This why FAMILIES are running to Oakland (whoops, Emeryville).

Look, gays from SF and the Greater Bay Area have historically gone into blighted areas in which the homes (primarily Victorians and some Arts and Craft architectural relics) could be restored. Want to live in a fairly safe residential area? Live next to a gay area (as long as they aren’t really young gays–that’s a bad scene, for the most part. For instance, gays have flocked to Vallejo, which is still the pits, but they have restored some old houses, which has helped. Gay artists bought empty lofts in Emeryville starting about 20 years ago.

Still, you miss the point. Until crime goes waaay down in Oaktown, forget corporations thinking it’s a good place to settle. (note: the shipping industry is one which has criteria quite different from those of other corporations.)

Unfortunately for those of us living in the burbs, IF crime does go down in Oakland, it’ll only be because the criminal element has moved out to the burbs (some of this has already happened over the last 15 years). No matter, flight takes place when the thugs move in.

Society doesn’t prosper or benefit when all that happens is that thugs re-locate.