Pryor in, sore-armed Flynn out _ for now

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, August 25th, 2013 at 4:50 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Filed for print but expanded with additional quoted material . . .

Terrelle Pryor will get his chance to show what he can do with the first team offense Thursday night when he starts at quarterback for the Raiders against Seattle in the preseason finale.

Meanwhile, Matt Flynn will rest his sore right arm, left to wonder if his own opportunity to be a starting quarterback has slipped away for the second consecutive season.

Coach Dennis Allen said Flynn’s arm trouble is the same as last season, when elbow tendonitis sidelined him for a portion of the preseason, with rookie Russell Wilson seizing the job as the Seahawks starter in his absence.

Throughout most of training camp Flynn would leave the field house in Napa each day with a bag of ice wrapped around his right elbow.

“It’s something that’s been a little bothersome to him,’’ Allen said. “I don’t really anticipate it being a big issue, but I want to get his arm rested up, recovered. We’ll get a chance to see Terrelle this week with the first-unit offense against Seattle, and we’ll see how he does.’’

Flynn completed 3 of 6 passes for 19 yards and two interceptions in a 36-24 loss to the Chicago Bears and was booed heavily by the home fans. Pryor came in with a 24-0 deficit and rallied the Raiders within 27-20 in the third quarter with a 25-yard touchdown run and a 19-yard touchdown pass to Nick Kasa.

“Coach told me what the deal was, that Matt was not playing and he wanted me to jump in with the first team and lead them into Seattle,’’ Pryor said. “I’m going to study like I usually do.’’

After completing 7 of 9 passes for 93 yards and rushing for 37 more against Chicago, Pryor said he was “horrible’’ on his run fakes and found other areas that needed improvement.

“I’m definitely not all the way there in terms of the playbook, in terms of just being a quarterback out there,’’ Pryor said. “I’m still learning. Don’t get me wrong, I can lead if called upon, but I’m juts out there getting better and getting in synch with the guys right now.’’

Although appreciative of the fan support, Pryor thought the booing of Flynn was unnecessary.

“We’re all on the Raiders, and everybody is for each other, and I believe you have to be with each other through thick and thin,’’ Pryor said. “When problems happen, you can’t boo a guy. We’ve got to be better than that, and Raider Nation will be better than that, I believe.’’

Asked if Pryor could do enough in this game to cement the job as the starter, Allen said, “We’ll see. We’ll see.”

Allen said there has been plenty of time to evaluate both quarterbacks.

“When you look at OTAs, when you look at minicamps, when you look at what we’ve been through in training camp, the three preseason games we’ve played, I don’t think that’s necessarily going to make that decision anymore difficult,” Allen said. “There’s been some competition. I think both of them at times have done some really good things. Both of them have done some things that need improving. That’s really where we’re at with the quarterback position.”

– While Pryor will be in the spotlight against Seattle, the most surprising story Sunday was Allen deciding to start second-round draft pick Menelik Watson at left tackle.

He will do so with exactly four days of practice time at the NFL’s most hostile road venue. Watson came out of the draft with precious little college experience, having played 19 games at Saddleback Community College and Florida State. All 19 of those starts were on the right side.

“Seattle is very talented up front,’’ Allen said. “They’ve got a lot of speed that comes off the edges. It’s a great opportunity for us to get a good evaluation to see where he’s at.’’

Watson replaces Alex Barron, who started two preseason games after left tackle Jared Veldheer had surgery to repair a torn left triceps, an injury that will keep him out well into the regular season.

Allen’s assessment of Barron: “Alex started out strong in camp. I think there was a little bit of a lull. I think he played a lot better in the (Chicago) game, and he’ll get another opportunity to go out there against Seattle and compete and give us another evaluation on him.”

Out with a calf injury until practicing in a team session for the first time last Thursday, Watson went to line coach Tony Sparano to tell him he was ready for anything.

“I’m the type of person, if you tell me to do something I’m just going to do it,’’ Watson said. “Jared went down, so I knew there would be some shifts . . . they trust me to play the left tackle position, so it’s a privilege and I’ve got to take it seriously and make sure I’m ready to play.’’

Watson’s initial thoughts on the challenge of playing on the left side: “It’s very technical, and things happen a lot quicker on the left, too. Obviously, it’s the blind side, so you have to be double about your wits. I’ve got to get in there now and watch the film, study hard tonight when I get home.”

– Rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden on his first football game since last November at the University of Houston: “I did all right. I did all right. I’ve got a lot of work to do. I’ve got a long way to go. But I just want to go out there and get better each and every game . . . after I got calmed down and had a couple of plays come my way, I just started playing.”

Initially concerned that he would look “chubby” with a protective flap covering his chest area, a result last November’s heart surgery, Hayden said, “I didn’t look as fat as I thought. They taped me down.”

– Return specialist Josh Cribbs was one of 10 players trimmed from the roster, unable to return to form following knee surgery.

“It was one of those things where I didn’t see everything that I needed to see,” Allen said. “Josh Cribbs has been a great player in the NFL for a long time. We just felt like it was the right thing to do, if we didn’t see him in our plans, to go ahead and let him go.”

Players who were waived by the Raiders were linebacker Keenan Clayton, linebacker Eric Harper, fullback Jon Hoese, wide receiver Sam McGuffie, guard Andrew Robiskie, cornerback Cory Nelms, wide receiver Tray Session, defensive tackle Myles Wade and wide receiver Isiah Williams.

Guard/center Alex Parsons thanked the Raider organization in a Tweet for the chance to play the sport he loves, an indication he will be off the roster Monday, possibly working out an injury settlement.

That would leave four more players to cut before Tuesday.

Wide receiver Juron Criner and cornerback Tracy Porter returned to practice.

Still no sign of linebacker Miles Burris, who hasn’t recovered from off-season knee surgery, or linebacker Kaluka Maiava, who had an ankle injury at the beginning of training camp.

“Obviously we want to get those guys back as soon as possible but we can’t put them out there until they’re ready to go,” Allen said.

Allen said there is no timetable on how long fifth-round pick Latavius Murray would be out following arthroscopic ankle surgery.

• Al_is_theraiders

1142…is that reggies fault for not investigating the tendinitis? either reggie is 1) irresponsible or 2) incompetent….

• the famous dr robert

J Hill Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:48 am
    LMFAO at touting a 90 passer rating from the Dallas game?

How many pass attempts did he have?

Now what was that about 6 attempts not being enough to judge?
    ********
    Good Lord.

It’s not that hard.

It’s based on All of flynn’s games.

And ALL of pryors games.

• Al_is_theraiders

90+? bwahahahaha…tell it again.

• nycraider

SnBG Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:50 am
    I like Pryor but you guys are being unfair to Flynn. His play so far is not the same as his play when he was at GB. That’s why Seattle went out and got him. There is something there to justify that but there is also something wrong with his arm. The big T.
    ———————–
    what play at gb are you referencing, the 2 garbage type games he started with nothing on the line for GB? Man its so hard for people to cave in and just admit that TP2 has outplayed Flynn and deserved the job. When has Flynn good, the 1 drive out of 5 or 6 against NO? TP2 has energized the franchise, will it turn into a playoff team, probably not, but id rather place my hope in a young unique player who continues to improve then a carrer backup who everytime has been HANDED the starting job fumbles it.

• inonewordraider

Hopefully it’s just rust, but Hayden didn’t look that great. But i didn’t expect much. He had to have been dealing with nerves in his first NFL showing. I just hope he gets over it quickly. In the 1st series he looked scared on every tackle attempt.

______________
    you need some lasik surgery or something

hayden missed the first tackle, after that was like glue to his receiver every time

• SnBG

You all should really wait to see Pryor play against 1′s on a regular basis before you say he is great. Same with Flynn, you should wait to see how it goes in the reg season before trashing him so hard. It’ smacks of agenda. Why is it that if you like one of the QBs over another you have to trash the guy you don’t like. They are our QBs and Pryor is right when he said it’s not fair to boo Flynn. Pryor is a true Raider and supports his team. Agenda people, not so much.

• the famous dr robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:53 am
    pryor has the most amazing feet for a big qb i have ever seen!!!

********
    Rex Ryan?

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

SnBG Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:50 am

==========================================

Flynn sounds like an awesome practice QB who gets flustered under the rush. Peter King once wrote a blurb about Namath with the Rams (King was the Rams’ beat writer): he was slinging passes in practice and King called his boss and said “I don’t what you’re talking about with Namath: he looks incredible!” The boss said “Wait until Namath gets into games. He’s afraid of the rush.” Sure enough, Broadway Joe was total disaster when the games started and was replaced by Pat Haden just a few games in.

• JLofty

I don’t think Pryor is the panacea to make this not very good Raider team a playoff contender but he is the right man for the job right now. We aren’t competing for the Supabo this year. Let Pryor take the job and see what he can do.
    Sure he’ll make some mistakes but by the end of the year we won’t have a QB controversy….
    He’ll either have improved and grown into the job or he’ll have sucked and we need to draft a QB and start over…

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

willy91137 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:49 am

Prior will never have outstanding numbers
    ===================

see what i mean?

these dudes are haters lol

his stat line from the bear game was outstanding wasnt it?

• 8RaiderReign8

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:53 am
    pryor has the most amazing feet for a big qb i have ever seen!!!

ther is only one qb in the nfl that is as quick in tight spaces and that is eagle 7 vick.

It almost seems as if pryor dematerializes just as the defender gets close enough to touch him, only to reappear out of reach and running away.

his unique blend of size strength and speed is unparalleled in the nfl

this is going to be great
    ______________________________

You’re lieutenant reporting for duty!

The SS Pryor should be fun

• The_Judge37

1155.inonewordraider Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:57 am

______________
    you need some lasik surgery or something

—–

You need to remove the homer goggles. 3 straight plays to open the game he was hesitant on the tackle attempt. One run play he was completely pancaked by Marshall

• bcz24

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:53 am
    pryor has the most amazing feet for a big qb i have ever seen!!!

***************
    I’ll say this, I have never seen anything like that 25 yard TD run. He stiff-armed a DE to the ground like a punk, his strides we so fluid it looked like he was jogging around statues instead of running against an NFL defense.

And the jump pass to Streater was pretty damn magical. He eluded what 6 guys to get that pass away.

I’ll say. I am drinking the new Mistic Kool-Aid flavor with regards to The Legend!

• SnBG

Nycraider Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    SnBG Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:50 am
    ———————–
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    You’re agenda is showing, why trash Flynn. He had an amazing game against Det no matter what time it was. Pryor made some mistakes in these Preseason games as well as Flynn but you can’t admit that. They both have a lot to still prove and both are our QBs. I say it’s not fair to discount either one of them because you prefer one guy to the other. Let the best man win. I like Pryor but I also want the best guy to win. I’m not going to trash either one of them.

• nycraider

SnBG Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    You all should really wait to see Pryor play against 1’s on a regular basis before you say he is great. Same with Flynn, you should wait to see how it goes in the reg season before trashing him so hard. It’ smacks of agenda. Why is it that if you like one of the QBs over another you have to trash the guy you don’t like. They are our QBs and Pryor is right when he said it’s not fair to boo Flynn. Pryor is a true Raider and supports his team. Agenda people, not so much.
    —————
    SNBG – have you ever made a comment about a rookie that he will become a starter before the regular season started..HMM..in fact if memory serves me correctly you we calling Bergs a good draft pick prior to him ever starting a regular season game. Its easy for some to see TP2′s upside and how he is better for flynn. Dont crticize those who can see something clearly when you also do the same thing with other players whove yet to prove themselves
    Call it an agenda, I call it hope

• JasoninSeattle

As a Seattle resident, I have to say all my Hawk fan friends think Flynn is a great QB who just needs to be given a chance. I keep telling them we sure haven’t seen it thus far…

• REALLIONAIREB

National media hammering us but wut else is new???

O’well

OneNation

UndaGod

RaiderNation

• nycraider

SNBG – just answer this question
    Who has outplayed who during the preseason
    TP2 or Matt Flynn

• willy91137

TBO wan games I only thrown the ball 5or 6 times prior is a better passer than that

but we will see their be different game plan and different plays regular-season starts

• nycraider

SNBG, you got me, I admit I have an agenda, For the Raiders to be winners again. I guess thats why I support TP2

• REALLIONAIREB

JasoninSeattle Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

——————

I’m sorry I don’t see and he just doesn’t have any fire that the good ones have bro!!!

• Plunketthead

Nobody knows for sure what will happen to the picks at the top of the draft. Some make it some don’t and no GM/coach ever gets it right all the time

50-50 is probably a great ratio for a top GM.
    Remember Mario Williams, Vince Young and Reggie Bush?

• SnBG

Nycraider Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 12:03 pm
    SnBG Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    —————
    SNBG – have you ever made a comment about a rookie that he will become a starter before the regular season started..HMM..in fact if memory serves me correctly you we calling Bergs a good draft pick prior to him ever starting a regular season game. Its easy for some to see TP2’s upside and how he is better for flynn. Dont crticize those who can see something clearly when you also do the same thing with other players whove yet to prove themselves
    Call it an agenda, I call it hope
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Give me a break. How many posters in here have called Flynn a noodle arm and a lousy backup. Yes I have said that about Bergs and other but I’m not going to trash another player in a Raider uni to make my point. It’s the same with our GM and HC. Posters in here trash both of them without giving them a fair chance to succeed. Everyone makes mistakes. ALL OF US HAVE. Yet, they want to call them all kinds of names and trash them without even looking at any of the positives. To me that is not a Raider fan.

• LTR

That 17.4 QBR last week and the second first down in the 6th drive the week before after already being down 23 made me a believer. I believe Flynn is not capable and Pryor probably is.

• Plunketthead

If I am DA, I am on the phone with Pete.
    Pleading to let me run my starters with TP for the half.

No read option, no pistols, we need practice and Pete can get a great look at his second stringers

Its either that or we play TP with the second stringers and kick petes adderal addicted arse up and down that soggy swamp they call a turf

• SnBG

Nycraider Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 12:05 pm
    SNBG – just answer this question
    Who has outplayed who during the preseason
    TP2 or Matt Flynn
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    My apologizes. I missed you’re post. Up until the last game I would say it was fairly even though Pryor hasn’t played with the ones as much as Flynn. I think Pryor is the guy but I’m still looking for him to be put in the same situation as Flynn has been before I can really say Pryor is the man. Show me, that’s all Im saying. Show the wins and losses at the end of this season before I say the team is as bad as some say. Pryor has played well enough to justify a real long hard look. I hope he wins the job but that doesn’t mean Flynn is all that bad.

• RAIDERMAN99

Let’s say the RAIDS finish 2-14 and have the nbr 1 pick in the 2014 draft.

Let’s say that TP plays decently in 2013 but not quite well enough to convince people that he’s a franchise QB.

So, we’re sitting there with the nbr 1 pick and there’s a franchise QB that every team wants and there’s a guy like Clowney that everyone wants.

RAIDS have quite a decision to make in that scenario.

Go with the franchise QB ? Stick with TP, take the can’t miss pass rushing DE ?

Trade down for a schitload of picks and improve multiple areas of need ?

This board is going to be wild before next year’s draft.

We will have the nbr one pick and what we do with that pick will determine the fate of the RAIDS for years to come.

TA has us on the clock already.

• boss01

So far all of Reggie’s draft picks, trades & FA signings have produced a grand total of ZERO NFL talent (Sio Moore & Hayden yet to be determined). Even Al during his senile years managed to produce the Nnamdi’s & Veldeer’s every now and then. McFadden is still the teams best player when healthy. I’ve lost all my patience for this Reggime.

• Plunketthead

We wont have the #1 thinking. That’s called wishful thinking for losers 101.

TP may not set the world on fire and we will still look bad at playoff teams but the Raiders will win 4 games against the lower echelon and TP at least 2 by himself.

• SnBG

Clowney looks great but how do you really know he can’t miss. How do you know he won’t get drafted and have a season ending injury. My point is all draft picks come with risk. Some less than others and drafting a QB is a real risky business but everyone though Luck would be great and so far he’s been pretty good. Having said that I would take a QB if our 2 QBs don’t live up to our expectations. You win SBs with great QBs not great pass rushers. Especially in a pass happy NFL universe.

• raideralex99

That’s easy … Take Clowney

• boss01

Aaron Curry cut by the Giants today

• SnBG

Boss01 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 12:22 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Seriously? They haven’t played long enough for anyone to say any of them are no good.

• boss01

Top 3 pick guaranteed. That puts the new GM in great position to take a franchise QB, Bridgewater will look great in silver and black.

• raideralex99

Everyone say Megatron was a sure thing and Al picked JaMarcus … enough said!

• SnBG

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 12:18 pm
    Let’s say the RAIDS finish 2-14 and have the nbr 1 pick in the 2014 draft.

RAIDS have quite a decision to make in that scenario.

Go with the franchise QB ? Stick with TP, take the can’t miss pass rushing DE ?

Trade down for a schitload of picks and improve multiple areas of need ?

This board is going to be wild before next year’s draft.

TA has us on the clock already.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Why do you keep bringing this up? That’s loser talk.

• boss01

SnBG Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Boss01 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 12:22 pm
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    =====

None of the picks have any talent to be starters, only way the see the field is if the starters go down with injuries.

• SnBG

Raideralex99 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 12:27 pm
    Everyone say Megatron was a sure thing and Al picked JaMarcus … enough said!
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Everyone says someone is a sure thing. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong. It happens with the draft. If it was an exact science then all the teams would have great players all of the time.

• Ghosttoothepost

COMMENTARY | Matt Flynn was awful Friday night. But he wasn’t just awful — he was painfully awful.

As a matter of fact, he was so awful that the home crowd drowned him in “boos” before the first half was even over. At that point, the Oakland Raiders trailed the Chicago Bears 27-0.

It can’t be all that surprising. After all, the crowd’s not going to cheer for you when you’re only 3 of 6 for 19 yards and throw two interceptions.

The crowd wanted Terrelle Pryor, the exciting, raw, athletic freak who the Raiders plan to use a lot more this year — and probably even more now after Flynn stunk up the O.co Coliseum.

To be fair, Flynn got absolutely no help from his sorry excuse of an offensive line. It’s nearly impossible to get anything going when you have less than two seconds to get rid of the ball.

But the fact of the matter is that nobody, except for general manager Reggie McKenzie, was ever sold on Flynn in the first place.

He’s never proven a thing since he’s been in the NFL. He’s made two starts in five years, and the one that got everybody going was a meaningless Week 17 game two years ago.

Yes, it was meaningless. And it was against a horrendous Detroit Lions secondary. Yet, after that game where he threw six touchdowns, he became one of the hottest tickets in free agency talk. He was so hot that the Seattle Seahawks were willing to make him their future.

But as history would show, that would not last long.

Now, Flynn is in serious danger of losing his presumptive staring job for the second year in a row. Granted, Russell Wilson wasn’t your average rookie, but Flynn has yet to do anything that’s blown anyone away.

Kevin Kolb, anybody? The similarities are all-too identical.

Kolb had some decent games in Philadelphia once upon a time ago, and everyone thought he was going to be the next big thing. Well, he wasn’t.

He got a huge contract from the Arizona Cardinals in 2011 after the Eagles decided to make Michael Vick their guy. During Kolb’s two years in the desert, he turned the ball over 20 times while throwing just 17 touchdowns.

Not exactly the next big thing.

Now, he may no longer have an NFL career after suffering a concussion over the weekend against the Washington Redskins.

But unlike Kolb, Flynn hasn’t disappointed to that level yet. But that’s only because he’s never actually won the starting job.

After all, you have get the starting job and then be bad in order to fully disappoint.

Flynn will always come with baggage if Pryor steals his job in Oakland. He’ll always be remembered as the guy who lost his starting job twice in two years before the season even started.

Nobody wants to be that guy. Unfortunately, Pryor is the more exciting player who possesses the athleticism to deal with Oakland’s putrid line.

Flynn is a traditional pocket passer who looks like a fish out of water trying to hurry his passes before he’s slammed to the ground in a matter of seconds. Just like Kolb.

Neither quarterback is going to lead any team to greatness. They’ll both try their hardest, but they’ll still come up short at the end of the day.

Just don’t tell that to the general managers who blindly overpaid for their less-than-mediocre services.

The true quarterback always comes out in the end. Unfortunately, for Kevin Kolb and Matt Flynn, everyone else is seeing that firsthand.