Pryor in, sore-armed Flynn out _ for now

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, August 25th, 2013 at 4:50 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Filed for print but expanded with additional quoted material . . .

Terrelle Pryor will get his chance to show what he can do with the first team offense Thursday night when he starts at quarterback for the Raiders against Seattle in the preseason finale.

Meanwhile, Matt Flynn will rest his sore right arm, left to wonder if his own opportunity to be a starting quarterback has slipped away for the second consecutive season.

Coach Dennis Allen said Flynn’s arm trouble is the same as last season, when elbow tendonitis sidelined him for a portion of the preseason, with rookie Russell Wilson seizing the job as the Seahawks starter in his absence.

Throughout most of training camp Flynn would leave the field house in Napa each day with a bag of ice wrapped around his right elbow.

“It’s something that’s been a little bothersome to him,’’ Allen said. “I don’t really anticipate it being a big issue, but I want to get his arm rested up, recovered. We’ll get a chance to see Terrelle this week with the first-unit offense against Seattle, and we’ll see how he does.’’

Flynn completed 3 of 6 passes for 19 yards and two interceptions in a 36-24 loss to the Chicago Bears and was booed heavily by the home fans. Pryor came in with a 24-0 deficit and rallied the Raiders within 27-20 in the third quarter with a 25-yard touchdown run and a 19-yard touchdown pass to Nick Kasa.

“Coach told me what the deal was, that Matt was not playing and he wanted me to jump in with the first team and lead them into Seattle,’’ Pryor said. “I’m going to study like I usually do.’’

After completing 7 of 9 passes for 93 yards and rushing for 37 more against Chicago, Pryor said he was “horrible’’ on his run fakes and found other areas that needed improvement.

“I’m definitely not all the way there in terms of the playbook, in terms of just being a quarterback out there,’’ Pryor said. “I’m still learning. Don’t get me wrong, I can lead if called upon, but I’m juts out there getting better and getting in synch with the guys right now.’’

Although appreciative of the fan support, Pryor thought the booing of Flynn was unnecessary.

“We’re all on the Raiders, and everybody is for each other, and I believe you have to be with each other through thick and thin,’’ Pryor said. “When problems happen, you can’t boo a guy. We’ve got to be better than that, and Raider Nation will be better than that, I believe.’’

Asked if Pryor could do enough in this game to cement the job as the starter, Allen said, “We’ll see. We’ll see.”

Allen said there has been plenty of time to evaluate both quarterbacks.

“When you look at OTAs, when you look at minicamps, when you look at what we’ve been through in training camp, the three preseason games we’ve played, I don’t think that’s necessarily going to make that decision anymore difficult,” Allen said. “There’s been some competition. I think both of them at times have done some really good things. Both of them have done some things that need improving. That’s really where we’re at with the quarterback position.”

– While Pryor will be in the spotlight against Seattle, the most surprising story Sunday was Allen deciding to start second-round draft pick Menelik Watson at left tackle.

He will do so with exactly four days of practice time at the NFL’s most hostile road venue. Watson came out of the draft with precious little college experience, having played 19 games at Saddleback Community College and Florida State. All 19 of those starts were on the right side.

“Seattle is very talented up front,’’ Allen said. “They’ve got a lot of speed that comes off the edges. It’s a great opportunity for us to get a good evaluation to see where he’s at.’’

Watson replaces Alex Barron, who started two preseason games after left tackle Jared Veldheer had surgery to repair a torn left triceps, an injury that will keep him out well into the regular season.

Allen’s assessment of Barron: “Alex started out strong in camp. I think there was a little bit of a lull. I think he played a lot better in the (Chicago) game, and he’ll get another opportunity to go out there against Seattle and compete and give us another evaluation on him.”

Out with a calf injury until practicing in a team session for the first time last Thursday, Watson went to line coach Tony Sparano to tell him he was ready for anything.

“I’m the type of person, if you tell me to do something I’m just going to do it,’’ Watson said. “Jared went down, so I knew there would be some shifts . . . they trust me to play the left tackle position, so it’s a privilege and I’ve got to take it seriously and make sure I’m ready to play.’’

Watson’s initial thoughts on the challenge of playing on the left side: “It’s very technical, and things happen a lot quicker on the left, too. Obviously, it’s the blind side, so you have to be double about your wits. I’ve got to get in there now and watch the film, study hard tonight when I get home.”

– Rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden on his first football game since last November at the University of Houston: “I did all right. I did all right. I’ve got a lot of work to do. I’ve got a long way to go. But I just want to go out there and get better each and every game . . . after I got calmed down and had a couple of plays come my way, I just started playing.”

Initially concerned that he would look “chubby” with a protective flap covering his chest area, a result last November’s heart surgery, Hayden said, “I didn’t look as fat as I thought. They taped me down.”

– Return specialist Josh Cribbs was one of 10 players trimmed from the roster, unable to return to form following knee surgery.

“It was one of those things where I didn’t see everything that I needed to see,” Allen said. “Josh Cribbs has been a great player in the NFL for a long time. We just felt like it was the right thing to do, if we didn’t see him in our plans, to go ahead and let him go.”

Players who were waived by the Raiders were linebacker Keenan Clayton, linebacker Eric Harper, fullback Jon Hoese, wide receiver Sam McGuffie, guard Andrew Robiskie, cornerback Cory Nelms, wide receiver Tray Session, defensive tackle Myles Wade and wide receiver Isiah Williams.

Guard/center Alex Parsons thanked the Raider organization in a Tweet for the chance to play the sport he loves, an indication he will be off the roster Monday, possibly working out an injury settlement.

That would leave four more players to cut before Tuesday.

Wide receiver Juron Criner and cornerback Tracy Porter returned to practice.

Still no sign of linebacker Miles Burris, who hasn’t recovered from off-season knee surgery, or linebacker Kaluka Maiava, who had an ankle injury at the beginning of training camp.

“Obviously we want to get those guys back as soon as possible but we can’t put them out there until they’re ready to go,” Allen said.

Allen said there is no timetable on how long fifth-round pick Latavius Murray would be out following arthroscopic ankle surgery.

• DJ Johnny

With our defense I don’t see Flynn as a guy who can lead us back from deficits…especially large ones.

With this D…we will have deficits.

• MikieG

Not sure how many of you on here have had elbow tendonitis, but it is a pretty chronic condition, I had it bad from playing golf (the hitting motion is similar to throwing), but a lot of people get it from tennis (tennis elbow)–And let me tell you–It can be PAINFUL! Doesn’t “sound” like much, but certain movements make it feel like someone is pouring hot lava into your elbow, and the weirdest movements can trigger it. The worst was either shaking someone’s hand, or turning a freakin doorknob–

It can be fine one day, and you go to put on a pair of socks and it flares up with the fire of a thousand suns. I basically had to quit golf and working out upper body for a season in order to let it rest. I have been battling this thing for like 8 months..I have a buddy who has had it for like 3 years.

You CAN get shots of cortisone for it, and it helps with the pain for about a month, but your really not doing yourself any good, the ONLY thing you can do is let it rest and rehab it once the pain goes away. Im good now, but it took a long time.

What I am saying, is that if Flynn has ‘soreness’ and had the same thing last year, this dude has chronic tennis elbow, and it is NEVER going away until he stops using it, that is all there is to it. Been there done that.

• inonewordraider

all Flynn had to do was be average last game and he wins the job week 1, hands down

but he blew it, big time

now all pryor has every opportunity to seize the job. let’s see if he rises to the occasion

it’ll be interesting

• JLofty

The Leatherman was wrong and can’t admit it. WAAAAAAYYYY wrong! Like a child.

The RAIDERS have NO hope with Matt Flynn playing QB. And that’s not Matt Flynn’s fault (entirely). He’s a backup QB in the NFL. And we don’t have enough talent for a bu to be successful. EVERYONE can see it. EVERYONE.

• The_Judge37

1000.DJ Johnny Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:36 am
    Am I the only one who thought there is no way in heck Forte should’ve scored on that little swing pass Fri nite?

My gosh. Someone needed to make a tackle there.

Alarming!
    ——

Exactly. We already know the offense sucks. Pryor will do his best but he won’t be able to carry it on his back by himself.

But the Defense was supposed to be much improved with all the Draft picks and FA’s added to that side, continuity of the DC, etc… and they got whipped just as bad as our O.

• DJ Johnny

Schefter says Seattles 2nd team defense may be better than our 1st team.

Let’s look closely at their cuts.

• oakfasho

2-14

• Ghosttoothepost

Silly arguments.

The Downtrodden Brigade are celebrating because Pryor is inserted. Claims of how the “bigot” has no choice, and how the “wave of the future” has a great technique, instead of it being viewed as a new version of the chicken dance.

The BichSlappedBeyondRecognitionCowardlyRacist is flip flopping, desperately trying to save face, now claiming support for both sides, hoping everyone will forget his massive meltdowns, and 12,439 posts how “Pryor sucks, and will never start a game for the Raiders”, knowing damn well his ignorant ass opened mouth, and has a massive serving of crow waiting.

The Flynn Fanatics are maintaining he’s their guy.

Guys, as much as I would love to look through rose colored glasses and see nirvana, sadly I think both are going to be exposed for being mediocre to bad.

And sadly, this board will be reduced to “Pryor sucked worse”, “Flynn is a fraud” “Stats don’t count, unless it helps my argument”.

Like I said before, would love it if one qb just won it outright.
    DA might be forced to flip flop qb’s more than the RacistCoward flip flops handles.

• SaintKaufman

inonewordraider Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:38 am

but he blew it, big time

it’ll be interesting

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My biggest concern is that if he does good it will be fools gold because he will be going up against the 2′s and 3′s again. Pulling for him to shine either way but you know the coaches are thinking about it.

• Ghosttoothepost

JLofty Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:39 am

The Leatherman was wrong
    ————–
    My leatherman is always on my belt, and is never wrong.

• oakfasho

Anybody who allows a coach to come in and change to a Zone scheme last year after the way we ran the ball the previous year cant be all that bright. been saying it since day one.Reggie is an idiot.

• R8erEduc8er

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:26 am
    What happens when Pryor sucks Thursday?
    ——————————————————
    Then we have no hope!
    Pryor = hope until further notice.
    Flynn = nohopeatall!

If you’re a Raider fan, you should be rooting for Pryor now. With Flynn “leading”, this season will be unprecedented. Goodell may have to throw in the white flag for us and use his executive power to forfeit our season. Mark will have to sell the team to someone willing to move us out of Oakland, because what little support we have in Oakland will be gone. It’s Pryor or bust. He’s the only one his teammates will play for. Yes, it’s really that bad in Oaktown right now.

• JLofty

I am really surprised our Defense is as awful as they’ve shown.
    Of course it doesn’t help when the O goes 5 straight punts to start every game. But if that doesn’t get better we are in for a LONG season.
    Adam Sphincter is right. Our D is worse than Sea’s. Our backups kick @$$ tho!!

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“The RAIDERS have NO hope with Matt Flynn playing QB.”

And now that Pryor is in there we are looking at 8-8 LMFAO!

Pryor cant play defense or special teams he cannot catch his own passes or block for himself like you all expected Palmer to do.

Pryor better get a kevlar suit!

Vegas odds say whoever our QB is they wont last 4 weeks of abuse this o-line is going to allow!

• The_Judge37

Seattle game won’t prove much. Pryor will play 1-2 series, Sea defense will do the same things.

It’ll be more interesting to see the guys on the bubble. Guys like Joselio, Taiwan, Adams, Conner Vernon, Holmes, King, Kluwe, etc…

• oakfasho

1013.JLofty Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:44 am
    I am really surprised our Defense is as awful as they’ve shown.
    Adam Sphincter is right. Our D is worse than Sea’s. Our backups kick @$$ tho!!

====================================================== Im not.It sucked last year.Where was the improvment in the offseason?

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“been saying it since day one.Reggie is an idiot.”

And you have been correct every step of the way thus far.

• willy91137

The_Judge37 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:33 am
    @WILLY
    I’ve been having problems since last Friday I bet I’ve logged on 20 times this morning

I will send a post and go back and it won’t be there because I’m 5 aor 6 posts

it doesn’t seem to get any better anytime soon very frustrating

• JLofty

LB’s and DB’s are better than last year….

• The_Judge37

——

• Ghosttoothepost

Lofty Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:39 am

The Leatherman was wrong and can’t admit it. WAAAAAAYYYY wrong! Like a child.

================
    We really don’t.
    Flynn is a sitting duck back there.
    Pryor is a running accident waiting to happen. You just can’t have your qb taking off like that.
    With that oline, Pryor really doesn’t have much choice.

95.7 has changed their tune, and are now daring anyone to call in and state Flynn should start instead of Pryor.

• R8erEduc8er

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:36 am

My gosh. Someone needed to make a tackle there.

Alarming!

——————————————————

Yea, that was an eye opener.

Looked like an NFL team (Bears) vs. a team filled with replacements during a labor strike (that’d be us).

• oakfasho

1017.Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:47 am
    “been saying it since day one.Reggie is an idiot.”

And you have been correct every step of the way thus far.

======================================================== Yea but I sure made some enemies along the way.lol. sometimes the truth sucks but it is what it is.

• The_Judge37

1019.JLofty Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:47 am
    LB’s and DB’s are better than last year….
    ——

Still not saying much.

• the famous dr robert

The_Judge37 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:30 am
    983.the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:26 am
    What happens when Pryor sucks Thursday?
    ——

Flynn would miraculously recover from his “Injury” that has never ever been reported before.
    ********
    He had it last year.

He’s been icing it all preseason.

That’s a stupid conspiracy idea (yet another)

• Ghosttoothepost

Seattle game will not be an measuring stick at all.

Most of Seattle’s starting D will be on the bench.

It’s game 4. Teams, when possible, rest up the starters, and give those hoping to make the team their shot.

• The_Judge37

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:49 am
    The_Judge37 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:30 am
    983.the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:26 am
    What happens when Pryor sucks Thursday?
    ——

********
    He had it last year.
    —–

Yeah, it’s called getting out worked by the next man up

• oakfasho

1019.JLofty Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:47 am
    LB’s and DB’s are better than last year….

==================================================== Just barely.Gets cancelled out by the D-line regression.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I dissagree, if he can get enough air under one of his passes on a roll out, he might be able to run under it and make a play”

Good point it may be our only hope a trick play!

• willy91137

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:45 am
    @willy
    If he starts in Indy the next game you’ll be wearing a flak jacket

but you know defensive lineman had trouble catching up to him

if he can sustain a drive that defense will get tired quick chasing him around the field

• oakfasho

Got to go to work felles.Later nation.

• willy91137

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:51 am

Good point it may be our only hope a trick play!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What the hell are you smoking ?

• the famous dr robert

How can I be wrong about something that hasn’t happened?

Is Pryor the game 1 starter? No.

I called 95.7 this morning to say I thought Flynn should start and that Pryor is fools gold.

It was nominated as call of the day by one of them.

U hyenas can keep screeching about so called beat downs and meltdowns. Just makes u look stupid to us smart people.

Ur like a zoo. Fun to watch u jump around.

But ur still animals in a zoo.

I go home to the safety of my human society.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Yea but I sure made some enemies along the way.lol. sometimes the truth sucks but it is what it is.”

I know its amazing what people will believe just because they read it.

We SUCK!

No way to sugar coat it. Saying a QB is better than Flynn is like saying something tastes better than a shlt sandwich!

There are 50 QB’s better than Flynn including the arena league.

Pryor may give us a spark that helps us win 3 or 4 games but we are so far from .500 you might as well live in Siberia!

• The_Judge37

I wonder if Flynn and Brisel will both be on the official injury report with “Bruised Ego’s”?

• the famous dr robert

Judge–so ur one if “those people”.

Can’t u deal in reality? He has tendinitis.

No one is lying to u. There isn’t a big cover up.

Starters don’t really play in week 4.

Backups do.

• morilla

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:50 am
    Seattle game will not be an measuring stick at all.

Most of Seattle’s starting D will be on the bench.

———————————-

I doubt that. Pete Carroll has to big a ego to let that fly. He will want to show everyone how he can shut Pryor down. At least for a series or two.

• dplunk

If Flynn has below average arm strength when healthy..my goodness this tendonitis thing makes the situation even more Putrid.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Willy91137 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:53 am
    Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:51 am

Good point it may be our only hope a trick play!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What the hell are you smoking ?”

Willy you know I only smoke medical grade pot!

• Ghosttoothepost

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:21 am

See? Missdick is a major reason why some people almost want Pryor to fail.

He’s such a gloating jack azz. No mother could ever be proud of a son like that.

That dude has clearly never been a winner.

Guys that win act like its not that big of a deal.

But here’s a newsflash: Pryor hasn’t done anything yet.

This is just like his premature ejaculatory announcement on Chris Ault.
    —————
    Mistic repeated what he stated in the past, RacistCoward.
    Unlike you, who’s main goal is to disrupt this board with your childish incessant attention begging posts.

Yes, mistic is a race monger, dense beyond belief.

But he stays the course, unlike you, flip flop.

Not sure what’s more embarrassing for you.
    You backtracking like a fool, knowing your dumbass has been exposed, or all the new handles you post under, that rush to tell you you’re not a racist scum.

• the famous dr robert

Reggie knows Matt Flynn.

He already had Pryor.

Reggie traded for Flynn cuz he wants him to start.

Pryor has “packages”. This has been the plan.

No way four good passes and a ridiculous 20 yard jump pass suddenly changes everything.

Preseason is with a grain of salt.

• The_Judge37

Preseason is with a grain of salt
    ——

Well pryor unscrewed the lid when he passed Flynn the salt shaker.

• willy91137

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What the hell are you smoking ?”

Willy you know I only smoke medical grade pot!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    and it sounds like it

• Ghosttoothepost

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:54 am

How can I be wrong about something that hasn’t happened?

Is Pryor the game 1 starter? No.

It was nominated as call of the day by one of them.
    ================
    You are a lying crock of chit.
    You got laughed at, and cut off.

Every single comment from the hosts were that Pryor should be in, and they dared anyone to call in and state Flynn should have the job.

Your whole life is a lie, CrossPostingRacistCoward.

• raideralex99

HELLO …. Starting Pryor wil NOT change anything …. this team was gutted and signed other teams cast offs.
    Do you really expect them to win?
    Reggie has done a terrible job and please don’t put the blame on Al for “this mess” … after all it was Davis who drafted your man Pryor right?
    How did Ozzie handle the Ravens salary cap issues …. Gut the whole team? No he cut and traded a couple of players and improved the defence … that’s what a GREAT GM does … tries to complete EVERY season.
    The Raiders had a QB … they choose to get rid of him and start over … lets see how the Cards do this year with Palmer.

• the famous dr robert

Ghost–u ignoramus. Chasing me around while spot flies from ur mouth. U cretinous mass.

I haven’t flip flopped in one thing.

1) u say I flip flop. No evidence.
    2) u say I’m racist repeatedly. No evidence.

Ur just a loudmouth. Nobody is talking race but u.

Calm down. Don’t cry. It’s gonna be alright.

I love the cross posting allegation. The cry of the desperate head-spinning fool.

No evidence.

It’s just other non-crazies who know loudmouth liars like urself get no play.

But keep saying my name b1tch. It’s ur claim to fame.

• Ghosttoothepost

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:55 am

I know its amazing what people will believe just because they read it.

We SUCK!

There are 50 QB’s better than Flynn including the arena league.

———-
    3 or 4 would be an accomplishment.

D’s will put a spy on TP, and he’ll be forced to throw, which is scary.

• RAIDERMAN99

J Hill Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 8:19 am
    Yo 99,

You on board with my Pryor changed his jersey b/c he knew he won the starting job propaganda yet?
    =============================================
    Did TP actually say something to that effect, or is it something you made up ?

You know I’m down for TP starting. Might have been the first one here to call for that.

As far as there being a ‘conspiracy’ against TP, I don’t buy into that at all.

We’ve just got the worst HC in the NFL that has no vision for the team’s future and is completely clueless how to utilize his personnel.

Marley is absolutely correct about TP not being where he should be developmentally. That’s ALL on TA.

TA is the genius that decided to go with Matt Lice. TA is the genius that refused to even activate TP.

As far as 2013 goes, it’s obvious the plan was to start Flynn and use TP in situational packages.

More of an emphasis should have been placed on having TP playing more and throwing more during this pre-season – rather than giving him limited time and running mostly read-option and designed QB runs.

Not a conspiracy. Just poor vision and coaching by a staff not fully committed to the idea of TP as the starter.

Another failure by TA. No surprise there at all.

FTY

• the famous dr robert

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:01 am
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:54 am

How can I be wrong about something that hasn’t happened?

Is Pryor the game 1 starter? No.

It was nominated as call of the day by one of them.
    ================
    You are a lying crock of chit.
    You got laughed at, and cut off.

Your whole life is a lie, CrossPostingRacistCoward.
    *******
    People heard it. It was “call of the day” according to one of them.

If u knew anything, u would know that one if for Pryor while the other has doubts.

It was on the air.

U seem to be in love with me.

• the famous dr robert

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:01 am
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:54 am

How can I be wrong about something that hasn’t happened?

Is Pryor the game 1 starter? No.

It was nominated as call of the day by one of them.
    ================
    You are a lying crock of chit.
    You got laughed at, and cut off.

Your whole life is a lie, CrossPostingRacistCoward.
    *******
    People heard it. It was “call of the day” according to one of them.

It was on the air.

U seem to be in love with me.

I’m gonna ignore u now. Ur like a lovesick b1tch. Can’t do anything but give u the cold shoulder. Hopefully u will find someone else.

Bye.