Pryor in, sore-armed Flynn out _ for now

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, August 25th, 2013 at 4:50 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Filed for print but expanded with additional quoted material . . .

Terrelle Pryor will get his chance to show what he can do with the first team offense Thursday night when he starts at quarterback for the Raiders against Seattle in the preseason finale.

Meanwhile, Matt Flynn will rest his sore right arm, left to wonder if his own opportunity to be a starting quarterback has slipped away for the second consecutive season.

Coach Dennis Allen said Flynn’s arm trouble is the same as last season, when elbow tendonitis sidelined him for a portion of the preseason, with rookie Russell Wilson seizing the job as the Seahawks starter in his absence.

Throughout most of training camp Flynn would leave the field house in Napa each day with a bag of ice wrapped around his right elbow.

“It’s something that’s been a little bothersome to him,’’ Allen said. “I don’t really anticipate it being a big issue, but I want to get his arm rested up, recovered. We’ll get a chance to see Terrelle this week with the first-unit offense against Seattle, and we’ll see how he does.’’

Flynn completed 3 of 6 passes for 19 yards and two interceptions in a 36-24 loss to the Chicago Bears and was booed heavily by the home fans. Pryor came in with a 24-0 deficit and rallied the Raiders within 27-20 in the third quarter with a 25-yard touchdown run and a 19-yard touchdown pass to Nick Kasa.

“Coach told me what the deal was, that Matt was not playing and he wanted me to jump in with the first team and lead them into Seattle,’’ Pryor said. “I’m going to study like I usually do.’’

After completing 7 of 9 passes for 93 yards and rushing for 37 more against Chicago, Pryor said he was “horrible’’ on his run fakes and found other areas that needed improvement.

“I’m definitely not all the way there in terms of the playbook, in terms of just being a quarterback out there,’’ Pryor said. “I’m still learning. Don’t get me wrong, I can lead if called upon, but I’m juts out there getting better and getting in synch with the guys right now.’’

Although appreciative of the fan support, Pryor thought the booing of Flynn was unnecessary.

“We’re all on the Raiders, and everybody is for each other, and I believe you have to be with each other through thick and thin,’’ Pryor said. “When problems happen, you can’t boo a guy. We’ve got to be better than that, and Raider Nation will be better than that, I believe.’’

Asked if Pryor could do enough in this game to cement the job as the starter, Allen said, “We’ll see. We’ll see.”

Allen said there has been plenty of time to evaluate both quarterbacks.

“When you look at OTAs, when you look at minicamps, when you look at what we’ve been through in training camp, the three preseason games we’ve played, I don’t think that’s necessarily going to make that decision anymore difficult,” Allen said. “There’s been some competition. I think both of them at times have done some really good things. Both of them have done some things that need improving. That’s really where we’re at with the quarterback position.”

– While Pryor will be in the spotlight against Seattle, the most surprising story Sunday was Allen deciding to start second-round draft pick Menelik Watson at left tackle.

He will do so with exactly four days of practice time at the NFL’s most hostile road venue. Watson came out of the draft with precious little college experience, having played 19 games at Saddleback Community College and Florida State. All 19 of those starts were on the right side.

“Seattle is very talented up front,’’ Allen said. “They’ve got a lot of speed that comes off the edges. It’s a great opportunity for us to get a good evaluation to see where he’s at.’’

Watson replaces Alex Barron, who started two preseason games after left tackle Jared Veldheer had surgery to repair a torn left triceps, an injury that will keep him out well into the regular season.

Allen’s assessment of Barron: “Alex started out strong in camp. I think there was a little bit of a lull. I think he played a lot better in the (Chicago) game, and he’ll get another opportunity to go out there against Seattle and compete and give us another evaluation on him.”

Out with a calf injury until practicing in a team session for the first time last Thursday, Watson went to line coach Tony Sparano to tell him he was ready for anything.

“I’m the type of person, if you tell me to do something I’m just going to do it,’’ Watson said. “Jared went down, so I knew there would be some shifts . . . they trust me to play the left tackle position, so it’s a privilege and I’ve got to take it seriously and make sure I’m ready to play.’’

Watson’s initial thoughts on the challenge of playing on the left side: “It’s very technical, and things happen a lot quicker on the left, too. Obviously, it’s the blind side, so you have to be double about your wits. I’ve got to get in there now and watch the film, study hard tonight when I get home.”

– Rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden on his first football game since last November at the University of Houston: “I did all right. I did all right. I’ve got a lot of work to do. I’ve got a long way to go. But I just want to go out there and get better each and every game . . . after I got calmed down and had a couple of plays come my way, I just started playing.”

Initially concerned that he would look “chubby” with a protective flap covering his chest area, a result last November’s heart surgery, Hayden said, “I didn’t look as fat as I thought. They taped me down.”

– Return specialist Josh Cribbs was one of 10 players trimmed from the roster, unable to return to form following knee surgery.

“It was one of those things where I didn’t see everything that I needed to see,” Allen said. “Josh Cribbs has been a great player in the NFL for a long time. We just felt like it was the right thing to do, if we didn’t see him in our plans, to go ahead and let him go.”

Players who were waived by the Raiders were linebacker Keenan Clayton, linebacker Eric Harper, fullback Jon Hoese, wide receiver Sam McGuffie, guard Andrew Robiskie, cornerback Cory Nelms, wide receiver Tray Session, defensive tackle Myles Wade and wide receiver Isiah Williams.

Guard/center Alex Parsons thanked the Raider organization in a Tweet for the chance to play the sport he loves, an indication he will be off the roster Monday, possibly working out an injury settlement.

That would leave four more players to cut before Tuesday.

Wide receiver Juron Criner and cornerback Tracy Porter returned to practice.

Still no sign of linebacker Miles Burris, who hasn’t recovered from off-season knee surgery, or linebacker Kaluka Maiava, who had an ankle injury at the beginning of training camp.

“Obviously we want to get those guys back as soon as possible but we can’t put them out there until they’re ready to go,” Allen said.

Allen said there is no timetable on how long fifth-round pick Latavius Murray would be out following arthroscopic ankle surgery.

• Ghosttoothepost

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:03 am

Ghost–u ignoramus. Chasing me around while spot flies from ur mouth. U cretinous mass.

I haven’t flip flopped in one thing.

1) u say I flip flop. No evidence.
    2) u say I’m racist repeatedly. No evidence.

Ur just a loudmouth. Nobody is talking race but u.

Calm down. Don’t cry. It’s gonna be alright.

I love the cross posting allegation. The cry of the desperate head-spinning fool.

No evidence.

It’s just other non-crazies who know loudmouth liars like urself get no play.

But keep saying my name b1tch. It’s ur claim to fame.
    =============
    Dozens of posters here have called you a racist POS. Not a couple. Not a few. Dozens.
    Because you are a racist POS.

DOZENS have comment on your cross posting. Not a couple. Not a few. DOZENS.
    Because you are a crossposting loser who is reduced to making up name after name to hold your hand, and digitally pat you on the head and tell you it’s ok, slob, you’re not a loser, really, you’re not.

And say your name?
    Sure
    CrossPostingRacistCoward.

• inonewordraider

dan Patrick shows “mclovin” took the under on us winning 3 games, dan took the over

can’t blame em, we look horrible

I keep my sanity by expecting the worst with the raiders, hoping to be pleasantly suprised

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Willy91137 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:00 am
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What the hell are you smoking ?”

Willy you know I only smoke medical grade pot!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    and it sounds like it”

LMAO Willy you should be laughing at me thinking Pryor can catch his own passes!

Its not as far fetched as folks here thinking we can win 8 games just because of a QB change.

• the famous dr robert

Gotta love posters who keep a dossier on another poster and then obsess about knowing their “real lives”.

Lol. The price of fame. Stalkers.

• Ghosttoothepost

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:06 am

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:01 am
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:54 am

How can I be wrong about something that hasn’t happened?

Is Pryor the game 1 starter? No.

I called 95.7 this morning to say I thought Flynn should start and that Pryor is fools gold.

It was nominated as call of the day by one of them.
    ================
    You are a lying crock of chit.
    You got laughed at, and cut off.

Every single comment from the hosts were that Pryor should be in, and they dared anyone to call in and state Flynn should have the job.

Your whole life is a lie, CrossPostingRacistCoward.
    *******
    People heard it. It was “call of the day” according to one of them.

If u knew anything, u would know that one if for Pryor while the other has doubts.

It was on the air.

U seem to be in love with me.
    ==========
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:07 am

Ghosttoothepost Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:01 am
    the famous dr robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:54 am

How can I be wrong about something that hasn’t happened?

Is Pryor the game 1 starter? No.

It was nominated as call of the day by one of them.
    ================
    You are a lying crock of chit.
    You got laughed at, and cut off.

Your whole life is a lie, CrossPostingRacistCoward.
    *******
    People heard it. It was “call of the day” according to one of them.

It was on the air.

U seem to be in love with me.

Bye.
    ============
    How do you know when you just own someone’s ignorant ass?

When they make a post, and are so flustered that immediately copy and paste their own post, to add a concession “leave me alone, please” comment.

Now is when you reply “you can’t own someone on a blog”

Oh, lol, but you can.
    You just proved it.

Now shut up, child.

• J Hill

Did TP actually say something to that effect, or is it something you made up ?

——————————————————————————

How can we ever know?

• the famous dr robert

Lol. Cross posting. Prove it.

Make a list. That will keep u occupied for a while.

Let us know when it’s done. Be specific. Be thorough.

L…..O…….S……E……R.

• Al_is_theraiders

defense better tgan last year? maybe i dont think so though…
    but tge real question is, is the defense better than chucky bs? no….
    regression all on shreks watch…

• J Hill

There’s always a story behind a number change.

What are you going with, 99?

• J Hill

I think the defense will be better because they won’t be on the field as much.

Pryor puts up points.

Eats up the clock.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

I am happy for the kid (not just because he was drafted by Al Davis) but he is one player on a team of 53 he alone cannot change that fact that we suck real bad and will probably only win 2 games all season.

We need to figure out a way to give him some protection so he will not end up in a wheel chair by seasons end.

Notice I didn’t care about Flynn ending up in a wheel chair….its because he was responsible for shipping Palmer out of town which pissed me off so I didn’t care if he got decapitated out there!

• Ghosttoothepost

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:57 am

“Willy91137 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:53 am
    Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 10:51 am
    “I dissagree, if he can get enough air under one of his passes on a roll out, he might be able to run under it and make a play”

Good point it may be our only hope a trick play!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What the hell are you smoking ?”

Willy you know I only smoke medical grade pot!
    ————-
    Medical grade pot?

Is that code for Harborside top shelf?

Are they still open? Feds were all over their ass last I read.

• The_Judge37

Don’t get me wrong, i think there’s still a very good Chance Flynn is the starter week 1. But only because D.A.Cup is a complete idiot. But it’s in the realm of possibility.

• R8ER MIKE

GOOD AFTERNOON NATION !!
    and my GreenParty brothers !!

• hwnrdr

Wow…I get to post…
    Bcz…it’s not only you, bro!

• hwnrdr

What’s up MIKE?!

• boss01

Kinda funny how DA decides to start Pryor against the best pass rushing team in the NFL and start Watson at LT after only 4 practices.

• Ghosttoothepost

Slob: “I’m gonna ignore u now. Ur like a lovesick b1tch. Can’t do anything but give u the cold shoulder. Hopefully u will find someone else.

Bye.”

LOL. That lasted all of one minute.
    You’re so easy.
    That’s why it’s fun to watch you grovel and beg others to quit picking on you.

My favorite is “Oh, uh, I was just kidding” right after you get your ass handed to you.

Like taking candy from a crosspostingRacistCowardly baby.

• boss01

All of a sudden Matt Flynch’s tendonitis acts up right before the Seattle game.

• the famous dr robert

Well done ghost. Well done.

Ur definitely proving to the board ur not a loser.

An obsessed maniacal loser.

I bet u dream about me. U own me? Ok.

Why do so many posters talk to me? Even when they disagree.

But no one wants to talk to u. U had the Gossip Girls. Maybe u girls can get that chat going again.

It’s tuff being a girl in love isn’t it?

Especially when the bad boy in the leather jacket that u dream of just doesn’t like u.

So u get obsessive and start writing him hate-notes.

Maybe that will get him to notice u.

Sorry. Sweetheart. I don’t like u like that.

Now go find someone in the band to like. U can watch me from afar in the football field in Friday nights.

I will be the one scoring the touchdowns.

• boss01

This team will be a train wreck regardless of who starts at QB.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

No unlike iwth fluynn and that fruad palmer, the raiders actaully have a bright outloiok with pryor in the game.

pryor is the best qb not named manning in the afc west today.

pryor gives a real chance of beating kc and san diego this year. I dont think this team can get past denver and would be lucky to split with them. i do think with pryor the raiders should expect to at least split with sd and kc.

pryor will win between 5-8 games and prove that he is the guy to build around.

i also hope we fire allen and get sumlin or on of the other guys i have mentioned here ( morris/ sweeny ,mahlzahn, bevel, k shanahan

I like the wing T , like chip kelly’s offense, as pryor did play in the shotgun at times at ohio state.

• R8ER MIKE

Hwnrdr !! how the he11 are you today sir ??

• Ghosttoothepost

J Hill Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:12 am

I think the defense will be better because they won’t be on the field as much.

Pryor puts up points.

Eats up the clock.
    ============
    Was that tongue in cheek?

Oh, you were serious? lol

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

SeyGlen666,
    Freckles is the one responsible for sending Palmer out not Flynn you FK’n imbecile. In what world is Flynn the GM of the Raiders?

Dumb Fk’n cross posting tr0ll!
    ______

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:12 am

• Marks hair

1067. not funny just dumb

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Did you read the reports of Flynn icing his elbow after practice for the last 2 months?

I guess not.
    _______

boss01 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:15 am

All of a sudden Matt Flynch’s tendonitis acts up right before the Seattle game.

• DJ Johnny

It used to tick me off a bit with all the media and the “experts”, fans whatever say we’re gonna win 2-3 games and we are historically bad etc.

It’s actually old and tired. Doesn’t upset me at all cuz now I see why. I’m used to it now and we deserve it.

Would LOVE to prove em wrong but that’s Reggie’s job to not have us be a freaking laughingstock. It’s my problem but it’s not my problem.

Reggie and DA’s job is to put a competitive team on the field as Reggie SAID we would be.

Ok…let’s see it and quit talking about it.

• R8erEduc8er

And for the record, I don’t see anyone saying we’re a playoff team with Pryor starting. This difference between Flynn and Pryor starting is a team playing with energy and fans being engaged…at least until things go way south. You get no wins with Flynn and you KNOW heading into a game that you’re going to lose. With Pryor, you can take a cup half-full approach. You can expect to be entertained but also expect lumps. Pryor get us 4, 5 wins tops. A healthy, productive Dmac can add on 3 more wins imo.

• the famous dr robert

I bet u save all my “notes” and read them in bed every night.

Like most stalkers, u want to “own” me.

Keep rattling sister.

Tell the board how ur “winning”.

Totally like not a loser. For real.

• MikieG

You know what’s gonna happen? We are going to get the number 1 pick in the draft and Reggie is NOT going to pick Clowney, the consensus best player available–and a Once in a DECADE Defensive Talent….
    Instead he is going to trade down and get more picks. Mark my words…
    This is going to be one long year, and an even LONGER wait up till the draft, and then he is going to stab us all in the chest and rip out our still beating hearts with several underwhelming picks…

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“pryor will win between 5-8 games and prove that he is the guy to build around.”

Are you sure with this o-line as weak as it is?

Can you get Pryor a Kevlar jacket please?

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

When should he wait to play Watson week 9? Watson has been hurt now is ready to get in there. This is what pr-season is for to get a look at your players. DA sabotaging his own team is that what you believe you dumb c-unt ?

Dumbest fans in America!
    _______

boss01 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:14 am

• hwnrdr

1073.R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:17 am
    Hwnrdr !! how the he11 are you today sir ??

Doing good! So far…waiting for the season, waiting for Thursday actually! See how Pryor does up in noise heaven (Seattle)

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“You can expect to be entertained but also expect lumps”

That is exactly what we want!

Forget winning football games just make sure we are entertained!

Great post…..not!

• the famous dr robert

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:17 am

pryor is the best qb not named manning in the afc west today.
    ********
    Lol. He just said that. He really did.

Holy sh1t. Pryor threw his first four good passes and a retarded 20 yard jump pass and he’s better than Philip Rivers and Alex Smith.

This dude provides us with so much clown material.

Love it.

• nycraider

Dr Rob, do you still think the Jets wouldnt take TP2 as their starter?LOL

• The_Judge37

MistaBrown Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:20 am

Dumbest fans in America!
    —-

Technically, aren’t you a Raiders fan yourself?

• the famous dr robert

Missdick is jerking off again.

Getting REAL excited.

He’s like a “special” kid who starts to get overly enthused and needs to be sprayed down.

Memories of his “Chris Ault” episode coming back.

• boss01

MistaBrown Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:20 am

Dumbest fans in America!
    _______

boss01 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:14 am

=====

Yes that’s right, and you add to the pile of lowest IQ fans, who thought Jacarcass was gonna turn out to be Dan Marino.

DA holding out Flynn cuz he knows he will get killed against a defense like Seattle is obviously too complex for your low IQ brain

• DutchRaider77

So does anybody know a good site to get new name plates for old jerseys?

Got to redo my Russell and Sapp Jerseys for Pryor and Houston!!!

• Marks hair

funny how Reggies guys don’t have to earn any 1st team reps.. they just have to be healthy enough to line up

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

I see its troll time on the blog right now.

The trailer park residents are finally awake and ready to post incoherent nonsense from a night of drinking Pabst’s Blue Ribbon and sniffing glue!

I will be back later when the trolling has subsided!

• RAIDERMAN99

I’ve currently got the RAIDS at 2-14 on the projected season wins board.

After reading some of the comments about our supposedly massively improved secondary and thinking it over – I might change my prediction.

To 1-15.

I think Jenkins is garbage. So is Usama. Not sold on Porter.

I’m good with Branch and CW at safety. Like Adams.

You can keep the rest.

Hayden looked terrible at the start of the Bear game but showed some real ability once he settled in a bit.

Excellent footspeed. Can really mirror his man straight line. Will break on the ball. Just needs more reps and some rust removal. Wish he was bigger, but get the feeling he’s a willing tackler.

Maybe I’m being too pessimistic. IF DJ can hold down one corner and someone emerges on the other side we might not be that bad.

Still, I think Jenkins is trash and Porter is a huge question mark.

Did I mention that Hayes and Haynes couldn’t hold up with this team’s pass rush ?

FTY

• the famous dr robert

Nycraider Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:22 am
    Dr Rob, do you still think the Jets wouldnt take TP2 as their starter?LOL
    ******
    Lol. I think geno will be the guy there. At least for a while. What a mess for them.

I’m not really up on the latest there though.

But buffalo might.

• SnBG

I like the Watson move to LT, lets see if he’s as fast as they say and as smart as they say. I’d be desperate also if Hulk went down and Barron is playing LT. Pryor acually gives Watson a chance to get his LT feet under him where as Flynn would doom him at that position.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Technically, aren’t you a Raiders fan yourself?”

Please do not feed the trolls Judge!

• boss01

Whoever thinks an 8-8 season is looming with Pryor starting is part of the dumbest fans in america crew.

• the famous dr robert

Oh no. The “non trolls” are upset and leaving.

Bye.

Now back to football.

• R8erEduc8er

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:21 am
    “You can expect to be entertained but also expect lumps”

That is exactly what we want!

Forget winning football games just make sure we are entertained!

Great post…..not!

——————————————————

Sorry kid, need a more complete team for that. Maybe you should root for Denver this season. We’ll hold your Raider seat for ya.