1,189

Pryor in, sore-armed Flynn out _ for now

Filed for print but expanded with additional quoted material . . .

Terrelle Pryor will get his chance to show what he can do with the first team offense Thursday night when he starts at quarterback for the Raiders against Seattle in the preseason finale.

Meanwhile, Matt Flynn will rest his sore right arm, left to wonder if his own opportunity to be a starting quarterback has slipped away for the second consecutive season.

Coach Dennis Allen said Flynn’s arm trouble is the same as last season, when elbow tendonitis sidelined him for a portion of the preseason, with rookie Russell Wilson seizing the job as the Seahawks starter in his absence.

Throughout most of training camp Flynn would leave the field house in Napa each day with a bag of ice wrapped around his right elbow.

“It’s something that’s been a little bothersome to him,’’ Allen said. “I don’t really anticipate it being a big issue, but I want to get his arm rested up, recovered. We’ll get a chance to see Terrelle this week with the first-unit offense against Seattle, and we’ll see how he does.’’

Flynn completed 3 of 6 passes for 19 yards and two interceptions in a 36-24 loss to the Chicago Bears and was booed heavily by the home fans. Pryor came in with a 24-0 deficit and rallied the Raiders within 27-20 in the third quarter with a 25-yard touchdown run and a 19-yard touchdown pass to Nick Kasa.

“Coach told me what the deal was, that Matt was not playing and he wanted me to jump in with the first team and lead them into Seattle,’’ Pryor said. “I’m going to study like I usually do.’’

After completing 7 of 9 passes for 93 yards and rushing for 37 more against Chicago, Pryor said he was “horrible’’ on his run fakes and found other areas that needed improvement.

“I’m definitely not all the way there in terms of the playbook, in terms of just being a quarterback out there,’’ Pryor said. “I’m still learning. Don’t get me wrong, I can lead if called upon, but I’m juts out there getting better and getting in synch with the guys right now.’’

Although appreciative of the fan support, Pryor thought the booing of Flynn was unnecessary.

“We’re all on the Raiders, and everybody is for each other, and I believe you have to be with each other through thick and thin,’’ Pryor said. “When problems happen, you can’t boo a guy. We’ve got to be better than that, and Raider Nation will be better than that, I believe.’’

Asked if Pryor could do enough in this game to cement the job as the starter, Allen said, “We’ll see. We’ll see.”

Allen said there has been plenty of time to evaluate both quarterbacks.

“When you look at OTAs, when you look at minicamps, when you look at what we’ve been through in training camp, the three preseason games we’ve played, I don’t think that’s necessarily going to make that decision anymore difficult,” Allen said. “There’s been some competition. I think both of them at times have done some really good things. Both of them have done some things that need improving. That’s really where we’re at with the quarterback position.”

– While Pryor will be in the spotlight against Seattle, the most surprising story Sunday was Allen deciding to start second-round draft pick Menelik Watson at left tackle.

He will do so with exactly four days of practice time at the NFL’s most hostile road venue. Watson came out of the draft with precious little college experience, having played 19 games at Saddleback Community College and Florida State. All 19 of those starts were on the right side.

“Seattle is very talented up front,’’ Allen said. “They’ve got a lot of speed that comes off the edges. It’s a great opportunity for us to get a good evaluation to see where he’s at.’’

Watson replaces Alex Barron, who started two preseason games after left tackle Jared Veldheer had surgery to repair a torn left triceps, an injury that will keep him out well into the regular season.

Allen’s assessment of Barron: “Alex started out strong in camp. I think there was a little bit of a lull. I think he played a lot better in the (Chicago) game, and he’ll get another opportunity to go out there against Seattle and compete and give us another evaluation on him.”

Out with a calf injury until practicing in a team session for the first time last Thursday, Watson went to line coach Tony Sparano to tell him he was ready for anything.

“I’m the type of person, if you tell me to do something I’m just going to do it,’’ Watson said. “Jared went down, so I knew there would be some shifts . . . they trust me to play the left tackle position, so it’s a privilege and I’ve got to take it seriously and make sure I’m ready to play.’’

Watson’s initial thoughts on the challenge of playing on the left side: “It’s very technical, and things happen a lot quicker on the left, too. Obviously, it’s the blind side, so you have to be double about your wits. I’ve got to get in there now and watch the film, study hard tonight when I get home.”

– Rookie cornerback D.J. Hayden on his first football game since last November at the University of Houston: “I did all right. I did all right. I’ve got a lot of work to do. I’ve got a long way to go. But I just want to go out there and get better each and every game . . . after I got calmed down and had a couple of plays come my way, I just started playing.”

Initially concerned that he would look “chubby” with a protective flap covering his chest area, a result last November’s heart surgery, Hayden said, “I didn’t look as fat as I thought. They taped me down.”

– Return specialist Josh Cribbs was one of 10 players trimmed from the roster, unable to return to form following knee surgery.

“It was one of those things where I didn’t see everything that I needed to see,” Allen said. “Josh Cribbs has been a great player in the NFL for a long time. We just felt like it was the right thing to do, if we didn’t see him in our plans, to go ahead and let him go.”

Players who were waived by the Raiders were linebacker Keenan Clayton, linebacker Eric Harper, fullback Jon Hoese, wide receiver Sam McGuffie, guard Andrew Robiskie, cornerback Cory Nelms, wide receiver Tray Session, defensive tackle Myles Wade and wide receiver Isiah Williams.

Guard/center Alex Parsons thanked the Raider organization in a Tweet for the chance to play the sport he loves, an indication he will be off the roster Monday, possibly working out an injury settlement.

That would leave four more players to cut before Tuesday.

Wide receiver Juron Criner and cornerback Tracy Porter returned to practice.

Still no sign of linebacker Miles Burris, who hasn’t recovered from off-season knee surgery, or linebacker Kaluka Maiava, who had an ankle injury at the beginning of training camp.

“Obviously we want to get those guys back as soon as possible but we can’t put them out there until they’re ready to go,” Allen said.

Allen said there is no timetable on how long fifth-round pick Latavius Murray would be out following arthroscopic ankle surgery.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• R8ER MIKE

hwnrdr Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:21 am
    1073.R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:17 am
    Hwnrdr !! how the he11 are you today sir ??

Doing good! So far…waiting for the season, waiting for Thursday actually! See how Pryor does up in noise heaven (Seattle)

**************************
    looking foward to it also. he looked damn good last week.

• DutchRaider77

1098.boss01 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:26 am
    Whoever thinks an 8-8 season is looming with Pryor starting is part of the dumbest fans in america crew.

____________________________________________________

Are you putting money down on Super Bowl?

• the famous dr robert

Snbg–Watson is good. He’s gonna help big time.

• nycraider

just hoping that DA has the ability to realize the defensive pressure Matt Flynn faced in practice is no way near similar to the pressure he’s been facing in preseason games and regular season games if he’s in there.
    TP2 has proven he can handle the pressure better than Flynn. When a Qb puts up more points in 1 quarter than the other qb did in his entire preseason, it should be obvious whose out performed who.

• R8ER MIKE

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:25 am
    I see its troll time on the blog right now.

The trailer park residents are finally awake and ready to post incoherent nonsense from a night of drinking Pabst’s Blue Ribbon and sniffing glue!

I will be back later when the trolling has subsided!

**************************
    @666… it was Miller lite and tasty buds my brother.
    i quit drinking Pabsts a long time ago and never had a thing for glue !!

• the famous dr robert

My original estimate was 6-10.

After the first preseason game, with a 90+ qb in place and the team looking decent, I got giddy and thought 10-6.

But we aren’t looking too good.

It’s preseason so it’s not everything.

But I will currently (3/4 into the preseason), say:

Flynn: 8-8
    Pryor: 2-14

• boss01

DutchRaider77 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:28 am

1098.boss01 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:26 am

____________________________________________________

Are you putting money down on Super Bowl?

=======

on another 4-12 year maybe, over-under, I will take the under any day of the week

• the famous dr robert

Someone must be changing handles to come attack me.

U know the cross posting accusers are the biggest cross posters.

• boss01

After week 4, 0-4 with the pile of crap Reggie put together

• nycraider

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:30 am
    My original estimate was 6-10.

But we aren’t looking too good.

It’s preseason so it’s not everything.

But I will currently (3/4 into the preseason), say:

Flynn: 8-8
    Pryor: 2-14

————
    didnt you just say 9-7 with Flynn last week? OR maybe you had tendinitis when you typed it

• Marks hair

1104. Oh its obvious. But da isn’t too bright.. Flynn’s weak arm is already sore again just trying to hit those 30 yard “bombs”… put him in the games and he’ll get himself broken in half

• SnBG

I knew something was up with Flynn’s arm last week and said so on this blog. I love the conspiracy theories that DA is making up the elbow issue with Flynn. I guess if you’re not with DA you’re going to say anything to try and prove that he’s a bad coach.

• nycraider

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:32 am
    Someone must be changing handles to come attack me.

U know the cross posting accusers are the biggest cross posters.
    —————
    reread you post, you just accused yourself of cross posting..LOL

• the famous dr robert

U see, it’s important, if ur not a Reactionary Retard (c), to wait until u have all the info before making a decision.

Preseason is practice. Gotta see how things progress.

Players getting healthy. Shaking off rust. Getting acclimated.

Things change. Cory Nelms was “making plays” a few weeks ago.

Now he’s on the waiver wire.

I will make my final prediction next week.

• bcz24

I loved what I saw from The Legend on Friday. Not just what he did on offense, but how the entire team responded to his play. I can’t fathom a scenario where he isn’t our starter week 1 (unless he gets hurt Thursday). The only negative I see to him starting, is taking us out of the Clowney sweepstakes. LOL. 6-8 wins is a real possibility with the Legend at the helm.

Glad I could get that in before it tells me 9000 times that I have to login before letting me post again.

• SnBG

Pryor outperformed Flynn in one game so far only. Lets be fair and put the agenda’s aside. Until the last game Pryor struggled. I’m all for Pryor but lets be real.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

1113,THATS TO FUNNY..

• the famous dr robert

Nycraider Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:34 am
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:32 am
    Someone must be changing handles to come attack me.

U know the cross posting accusers are the biggest cross posters.
    —————
    reread you post, you just accused yourself of cross posting..LOL
    ******
    Lol. Touché. U can’t accuse someone if being a cross poster cuz that means YOU are the cross poster.

Dang blog rules.

• Marks hair

yeah I remember this one reactionary retard who watched tp play one game and then said he would be a te or receiver for his career..

• SnBG

The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:35 am

Preseason is practice. Gotta see how things progress.

Players getting healthy. Shaking off rust. Getting acclimated.

Things change. Cory Nelms was “making plays” a few weeks ago.

Now he’s on the waiver wire.

I will make my final prediction next week.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Good point Dr.

• bcz24

Another thing I wanted to get in, How did everyone feel about DJ? I thought, all things considered, he looked pretty good. He had a great break up on that pass to Marshall, and a couple of nice tackles. Showed awesome speed on that dump off to Forte (sadly he was a step late, but he came from the opposite side of the field). He was clearly rusty early, but I think by week 2 or 3 he will be the unquestionable best player in the secondary.

• the famous dr robert

Nycraider Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:33 am

********
    That’s two for u.

I think I might have. Then got real squirrelly and made it 10-6.

It’s fluid until the end of preseason.

Don’t have all the intel yet.

• RAIDERMAN99

J Hill Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:11 am
    There’s always a story behind a number change.

What are you going with, 99?
    =========================================
    OK, so you just made up the TP quote.

I’m going to go with the TP wanted the deuce all along, but it was too close to the JaMoron debacle to happen.

TP changed to 2 before the Bear game and Flynn meltdown.

Think he had hopes of possibly starting at that time – but not a realistic expectation to do so.

So, I’m going to have to veto your number change ‘propaganda’ as interesting but inaccurate speculation.

Still going with a ‘minimum of 6 wins’ ?

Or was it 7 ?

• The_Judge37

1113.nycraider Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:34 am
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:32 am
    Someone must be changing handles to come attack me.

U know the cross posting accusers are the biggest cross posters.
    —————
    reread you post, you just accused yourself of cross posting..LOL
    —-

I know you. You know you. And I know you know that I know you.

• nycraider

SnBG Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:37 am
    =——————
    Flynn 10 series, 13 pts, 2 ints, 1 fumble
    Pryor 10 Series 26 pts, 1 int, 0 fumble

Flynn has yet to enter redzone this year, Pryor has probably 60-80 yards rushing.not to mention exciting the team and fan base. Also, have many of Flynns series have led to punts and TOs versus TP2..Seems enough to me

• bcz24

SnBG Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:37 am
    *****************
    Yeah but in the last 2 games vs opponents starters Flynn has been beaten 55-7. That has to mean something. I’d rather have a few errant throws mixed in from the Legend than what Flynn has shown. The only reason to start Flynn is to Flynn it for Clowney.

• the famous dr robert

Marks Hair Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:37 am
    *******
    Liar.

It’s a body of work.

But sometimes u can just tell.

U know how Al Davis watched Sam Williams in a workout and knew he had to have him.

I never said TE. I said WR. And it’s true.

• SnBG

Marks Hair Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:37 am
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    How come everyone that doesn’t agree with you’re DA hate is a retard?

• The_Judge37

1121.bcz24 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:39 am
    ——

That one pass break up really stood out in peoples mind, but other than that he was pretty bad. The only tackle he really made was when Forte powerbombed him after a 10 yard gain. Other than that he missed a couple of tackles and blew coverages.

• nycraider

Bcz24 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:39 am
    ———————–
    Hayden showed well for his first game in a year with only 1 week of practice. need to see more though

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

“dont believ the hype”- chuck D

the “rest” for flynns arm is a smoke screen

allen is taking a page form caroll and (he should also copy the playbook) and pryor is auditioning with a chance to close the deal.

This of course is against allens will, and he is only doing it because of the very public azz whoopin” pryor has put on him and is favorite flynn

Sore arm? No I think it more like a sore keester, and you blogtards are right their with him.

maybe you should share your prep H hemorriod ointments.

• raiderlization

why can’t Valdeer come back and we move Watson to RT. as far as Flynn it appears that he was damaged goods leaving Green Bay was mentioned that week three last preseason he had same problem. can’t get through 4 games what do you expect from 16? Net man up if Pryor doesn’t work out we are looking again next year. Go Raiders!

• dplunk

Flynn must be one hell of a practice player, because from a layman’s eye like mine: I just haven’t been the leat bit impressed with him after watching 3 pre-season games.

• SnBG

Bcz24 Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:42 am
    SnBG Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:37 am
    *****************
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Not a bad point but Flynn’s line was horrid and Pryor played mostly against the 2′s. That’s why I want to see how he does with the 1′s. Especially want to see him against Seattle’s D. I’m all for Pryor but I still want to see more of him before I anoint him the man.

• raiderlization

next man up!

• J Hill

——————————————————————————

You’re not being real at all.

Flynn has had one nice drive all preseason. The drive right before the half against the Saints.

Take that out and his performance has been probably the worst in the NFL.

• J Hill

LMFAO at touting a 90 passer rating from the Dallas game?

How many pass attempts did he have?

Now what was that about 6 attempts not being enough to judge?

• RaidingTexas

Boss01 Says:

This team will be a train wreck regardless of who starts at QB.

————————————–

Yep. There are some delusional fans here who think they know better.

• The_Judge37

Hopefully it’s just rust, but Hayden didn’t look that great. But i didn’t expect much. He had to have been dealing with nerves in his first NFL showing. I just hope he gets over it quickly. In the 1st series he looked scared on every tackle attempt.

• willy91137

Prior will never have outstanding numbers but just win baby

• J Hill

No Butler, Streater

—————————————————————————–

Very disappointing.

They NEED to be right for Indy.

• SnBG

I like Pryor but you guys are being unfair to Flynn. His play so far is not the same as his play when he was at GB. That’s why Seattle went out and got him. There is something there to justify that but there is also something wrong with his arm. The big T.

• Al_is_theraiders

1094…cosigned

• RAIDERMAN99

Flynn: 8-8
    Pryor: 2-14

————
    ==============================================
    Funny that there’s even a prediction based on TP starting.

That was an impossibility just a few days ago.

Or at least that’s what someone thought.

• JLofty

Bcz 1121: agree. Was a little crispy to start but shook that off pretty quick.
    Almost got us a pick on the BM15 breakup.

Kid is going to be a BALLER!

• willy91137

Willy’s protection for the season somewhere between zero and 16 wins that is a LOCK

• SnBG

RaidingTexas Says:
    August 26th, 2013 at 11:48 am
    Boss01 Says:

This team will be a train wreck regardless of who starts at QB.

————————————–

Yep. There are some delusional fans here who think they know better.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I still want to wait and see before I can even come close to saying that. I still expect 6 wins and a decent draft next year.

• dplunk

Think i’ve seen enough of Hayden to know this guy is a gamer

• 8RaiderReign8

“Flynn it for Clowney.”

This is the best one yet!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

pryor has the most amazing feet for a big qb i have ever seen!!!

ther is only one qb in the nfl that is as quick in tight spaces and that is eagle 7 vick.

It almost seems as if pryor dematerializes just as the defender gets close enough to touch him, only to reappear out of reach and running away.

his unique blend of size strength and speed is unparalleled in the nfl

this is going to be great