1,003

Houston believes pressure on QBs will come

Filed for print but with additional material . . .

Lamarr Houston is aware the Raiders first-team defense has barely laid a hand on Drew Brees or Jay Cutler in the last two preseason games.

And he’s not overly concerned.

“We want to get out there that we can rush the passer, but at the same time, it’s preseason, everything is very vanilla and offenses are very vanilla,’’ Houston said. “Right now, you can’t really tell how much better we’ve gotten as a defensive line, but soon, you’ll be able to see.’’

Considering the Raiders open the season with Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts and face Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos in Week 3 _ both on the road _ the sooner, the better.

Houston and strong safety Tyvon Branch will be the only starters remaining from a defensive personnel purge following the 2012 season. A third, linebacker Miles Burris, has yet to practice following offseason knee surgery.

The Raiders moved Houston from left end to right end, making him the blind side pass rusher although he’ll move inside on some downs with Andre Carter coming in as a nickel rusher.

A two-week absence with an undisclosed injury slowed Houston’s progress. He played against the Bears after minimal practice time and it showed, and coach Dennis Allen is hoping for better things when the Raiders close out the preseason Thursday night in Seattle.

“I thought he was rusty,’’ Allen said. “I don’t think that was his best effort. That just goes to show you it’s hard to play this game if you don’t get a chance to practice, so I’m looking forward to seeing improvement Thursday night and as we go into the regular season.’’

Houston, 6-foot-3 and 300 pounds, is not the prototype right end, playing with high energy, a low center of gravity and without the jet-propelled outside rush so often associated with his position. He has 10 sacks in three seasons at left end and ideally would get that many this season at right end.

“He’s a little bit more of a power rusher than he is a speed rusher, but I really think he’s a guy that can help in getting some pressure on the quarterback,’’ Allen said.

Houston was a record-breaking high school running back who also played linebacker in high school in Colorado Springs, Colo., before going to Texas and playing defensive end, and then moving inside to tackle as a junior.
Being on the move so often has Houston resistant to being typecast by where he lines up.

“I really don’t think of positions like that,’’ Houston said. “I wouldn’t put myself in a category as being a pass-rusher or a run-stopper. I just think I’m a pretty good athlete who loves to play football.

During the offseason, Houston was enthused over how quickly the Raiders defense came together with the new personnel. Training camp has been another story on the field, as only recent have they had their entire defensive front on the field at the same time, with Houston, Vance Walker and Pat Sims all battling injuries.

“We didn’t have everybody practicing the way we wanted to because of different circumstances and situations, but I believe that we’re getting the work we needed to get done in the meeting rooms as well as on the field,” Houston said. “I still feel we’re progressing in the right direction. It’s going to be a great feeling when we have everybody out there together.”

Houston doesn’t believe the Chicago game to be a representation of what the Raiders first-team defense will represent.

“I believe we’re a better defense,” Houston said. `This last game we came out flat, and we didn’t play up to our standard, but I’m 100 percent sure we’re a better defense than we were before.”

– Allen on the timetable to name a starting quarterback between Matt Flynn and Terrelle Pryor: “Obviously we open up in 13 days. That’s coming sooner rather than later. I think it’s been a good competition. We’ve got a couple of options there that are going to give us a chance.”

Matt Flynn will rest is sore throwing arm through Thursday, then be re-evaluated, Allen said.

– Allen said fourth-round draft pick Tyler Wilson will “probably” play against Seattle.

The Raiders face an interesting decision regarding the 53-man roster at quarterback. Do they cut a fourth-round draft pick in Wilson even though he’s been outperformed by undrafted free agent Matt McGloin? Or do they cut McGloin, figuring they would have a better chance of getting him on the practice squad? Wilson’s status as a fourth-round pick could make him difficult to slip through waivers.

– Linebacker Kaluka Maiava, out since late July with an ankle injury, was back at practice and hoping to play against Seattle.

“I’m tired of being locked up in the training room,’’ Maiava said. “I know I have a lot of catching up to do and I’m ready to get going. My teammates have been grinding this whole camp and I’ve been feeling left out and kind of letting them down. Feels great to be back and moving around and getting the season started.’’

Maiava began camp splitting first-team reps at weak side linebacker with Kevin Burnett but now will likely provide depth at all three positions as well as participate on special teams.

“We’ll find out more the more we get a chance to watch him, but when it comes time to determining who those starting three linebackers are, we’ll have to wait and see how that develops after the Seattle game,” Allen said.

– Place kicker Sebastian Janikowski wasn’t mentioned on Allen’s injury update with the meida, but he came out late to practice wearing a ballcap instead of a helmet and watched as punter Chris Kluwe attempted a field goal.

Following practice, the Raiders were trying out a left-footed place kicker on a far field in front of members of the personnel department. As a matter of policy, the Raiders don’t disclose the names of players who work out.

– Strong safety Tyvon Branch returned to practice after missing time with a rib injury. Allen said he would see how Branch responds before determining whether he would face Seattle. Cornerback Tracy Porter, having practiced the last two days, is likely to face Seattle.

It remains to be seen who the Raiders will start at cornerback, but the plan will be to keep D.J. Hayden on the outside, with Porter playing the slot receiver in the nickel.

The Raiders are still without wide receivers Brice Butler (hamstring) and Rod Streater (concussion).

– The Raiders waived defensive lineman Brandon Bair and offensive lineman Alex Parsons while injured. Both will move to the Raiders injured reserve list once they clear waivers.

The Raiders have three more players to trim from the roster Tuesday to reach 75.

– Allen’s assessment on rookie tight end Mychal Rivera: “I’ve seen a guy that does a pretty good job in the passing game. I think he’s got a pretty good feel for what we’re asking him to do in the passing game. He’s a guy that’s got to continue to work on his blocking. He’s improved his blocking . . . We’ve got some guys on this team who can turn into good NFL football players and he’s one of them.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• dplunk

779. @ Silverandblack666 ;
    Now you need to lighten up! apparently your comment was taken as a jab at Pryor by several of us, and not as joke aimed at garcia!

• Just Fire Baby

Just got done listening to the Herd with Peter King.

Interesting that the NFL is very concerned about lagging attendance and people deciding to stay home and watch games.

One idea from the NFL, have (like in an airplane) headphones on the seats of players and coaches mic’d that will only be broadcast live in the stadium.

Sounds desperate, and I don’t think I would even listen.

• Marks hair

yeah but he’s acting like you called him names or when after his post 14 times or something.. all you did was say you liked the jump pass. silver seems a little cranky this morning

• willy91137

SnBG Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 8:47 am
    Bcz24 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 8:45 am
    DA signs his death warrant by starting Flynn over The Legend. If he goes with 2 first, and he stinks he can fall back to Flynn, but I just think the Legend HAS to be the starter at Indy.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    News–falash/DA does not sign players that’s Reggie’s lover from Green Bay

• eastoaklandraider

Speaking of conspiracy theory, I think the team turned on Flynn and let blitzers through, ran wrong routes, and rb’s didn’t run hard. But whenTP came in all that changed, just a thought.

• raiderlization

last year it was behind third string for prior against Saints this year you call that line 2nd string your on dog food! No one stood a chance early against saints! Ryan was bringing the house. We will all talk after Thursdays game and we will all have a new opinion or we will continue to want to see Pryor take the reigns of this team full speed ahead! Dennis almost got the can last year listening to Knapp! Lienert just got picked up? wow so much better than Pryor! Go Raiders!

P.S. we heard all this last year when compared to Lienert! LMAO!

• LTR

We have been Flynn flammed.

• Just Fire Baby

A.The coaches are so incompetent and apathetic that he had to go out and hire his own coaches.

***********************************

CBA rules do not allow the team to work with the players in the offseason, outside of specific OTA days.

TP hired the QB coaches, just like all pro-QB’s do in the offseason off the best run franchises, when he was not allowed to work with the team.

• Just Fire Baby

************************************

Come on man, seriously?

• Whoknows

No dude. that was a different play. Go back and watch. Flynn throws from the 15 for a long bomb TD.
    *************************************
    I don’t really know why I bothered because I know it didn’t happen, but I went threw the play by play and this is what I came up with:

2nd and 10 at GB 20 (Shotgun) M.Flynn pass short middle to R.Grant for 80 yards, TOUCHDOWN [D.Levy]. PENALTY on GB-R.Grant, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced between downs.

3rd Qt
    2nd and 7 at GB 42 M.Flynn pass deep middle to J.Nelson for 58 yards, TOUCHDOWN [N.Fairley].

4th Qt
    3rd and 8 at DET 35 (Shotgun) M.Flynn pass short middle to D.Driver for 35 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
    Wheres your link for this 50 yd bomb 85 yd completion? Link or it didn’t happen.

• raiderlization

Pryor also took it upon himself to organize teams WR’s for work outs in off season after OTA’s! sounds like Jabuster to me! LMAO!

• Whoknows

^through

• Just Fire Baby

I don’t know who should start against Indy since I don’t attend practices or QB meetings, but I am not very excited about either.

But I don’t think you can go back to Flynn later in the season if TP flops.

They sold this guy to the fans and locker room for 4 months, then they are going to ditch him 2 weeks before the season starts, say scratch all that, but then 2 months later go back and annoint Flynn the answer, for the second time?

Can’t do it. You start TP you roll with him until he is either hurt or so wretched you don’t think McGloin or Wilson could do much worse.

• LA to TheBay

765.Marks hair Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 8:26 am
    tp looked a little like Barry Sanders last week.

——

That 25 yard TD run was a thing of beauty. He has great footwork, suddeness and that extra gear when in the open field.

If TP is no worse than Flynn passing (and stats this preseason have shown as much), then he should start base don this added dimension.

I saw a LOT of TP at Ohio St. and was very pleased Al grabbed him. I knew TP would impress eventually. If Al hadn’t passed, TP would have started the duration of 2011.

• LTR

Someone posted a link a few days ago to an 83 yd TD that was a 2 yd pass behind the line of scrimmage by Flynn.

• willy91137

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 8:50 am
    Just got done listening to the Herd with Peter King.

Sounds desperate, and I don’t think I would even listen.
    @ willy
    can you imagine the patriots would have somebody in the stands wood send tham signals on what play they were calling
    but to the average fan it would sound like someone retarded talking in a foreign language .

• Just Fire Baby

I definitely hope Pryor isn’t over-excited for this game thinking it is “his chance” and starts forcing things and making mistakes he probably wouldn’t make if he knew he was the starter and had a whole game.

Giving him 3-4 series though is good, put a little added pressure on him, see how he responds.

I just hope he doesn’t force 3rd down throws because he thinks he has to convert to win the starting job.

Recipe for disaster.

Play within yourself TP, and within the offense, limit mistakes, act as if, and the job is yours.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

No Marks Hair not cranky just sarcastic. As you already know from knowing me and how I post you can easily scroll up to post #316 and see my other funny prediction.

I made a joke about Jeff Garcia teaching Pryor the “Jump Pass”

For some reason that put sand in the Vag of Dplunk and a few others.

Its ok I said 50 hail Mary’s and prayed to Tim Tebow so we are all good now!

• JONTRAIN

Eastoaklandraider Says: August 27th, 2013 at 8:46 amAnybody seen TP hit a crossing pattern? Serious question.

#####

No. Thats his weakness. Crossing patterns and slants.

• willy91137

LTR Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:00 am
    @ willy
    it must have been the first day of camp because the last day of camp he couldn’t get the ball 20 yards

• jesusraiderjim

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 8:09 am
    Does anybody else get mad when u see that ‘Commitment to Excellence’ banner at the O.co
    ***************************************************

What should it say?

“Commitment to Mediocrity”

“Commitment to Inepitude”
    “Commitment to Suck”

I hear ya DJ not what it used to be.

Remember “Masters of Monday Night”?

• Whoknows

LTR Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:00 am
    ****************************
    That would be me.
    I watch it on youtube several times. The 85 yrd completion 50 yrd bomb didn’t happen.
    He had a great game that day, I really don’t see the need for someone to try embellish.

• LA to TheBay

——

Exactly.

You didn’t trust TP as the QB of the future, so you trade for an overpriced backup and tell us he’s accurate and accountable.

Then all of his physical limitations come to light and the fanbase turns on him.

TP leaves the field a ‘hero,’ and Flynn, days later, is ruled out with TP getting the start.

If TP lights it up again, he must start. If he suffers growing pains, you can’t flip back.

Remember the Grad/Soup thing, starting in wk 2 2010?

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Your lame attempts at comedy are anything but funny. Tr0lls are delusional psychotics.
    ______

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:03 am

• Just Fire Baby

This whole notion by some in here that this is TP’s “Super Bowl” and all that is nonsense.

Pryor should be like “WTF are all you talking about with that? I AM the starting QB and this is a stupid preseason game.”

That’s how he has to act, as the leader of the team. It isn’t all about him on Thursday like some in here want to imply.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

The New The Wild The Wacky……The Oooooh so controversial:

“JUMP PASS”

To some its a sign of desperation and should not have been thrown.

To others it was a thing of beauty an athletic phenomenon.

And to one lonely blogger its “FUNNY” and should be joked about!

Then there are a select few who will wake up with sand in their VAG because of this joke.

• pcraider

Realize this:

It’s only been 1 full season for this regime!!!!!

Everyone’s looking at this season like its been played already. “Oh they’ve had 2 years already. Fire them all!” smh.

Here are the facts…… Deal with em.

The talent level on this team is not very good. Due to poor draft choices from the prior regime.
    Free agency is good for a player here or there but NO Way to fill the whole roster.
    Even if we had money to spend.

Give it a year to see how Reg’s pics this year and last year do. I expect 3 to be on the all rookie team, and the Raiders to send 3 players to the pro bowl.

If the team can find an identity and scheme that shows improvement by the end of the year then were on the right tract and you TA haters owe him an apology.

• eastoaklandraider

Jfb, I really don’t believe that but you gotta admit the whole team looked energized when pryor came inI

• Al_is_theraiders

shreks an idiot if you cant see that youre blind and drunk on kool aid.

• Whoknows

Don’t worry SnBg I will be gone soon to play my round at Torrey Pines South, you’ll have all day to come up with that link.

• logic82

“And indeed the playcalling vs. Chicago was just as dumb, I did see others complaining in here about it so I don’t think it’s just me. Run, run, third and 7, 4 yard-pass, punt. Yes Flynn had a bad day, but come on, can we fake the obvious runs and have him roll out or something…? ”

DA has been trying to protect Flynn since OTA’s. He knew Flynn’s arm was toast. Even the writers knew (“the coaches have just accepted that Flynn can’t throw pass 25 yard.”) This is why you get such anemic play calling. Flynn shouldn’t even be on the field. Again, we keep getting these CYA moves by both DA and RM rather than doing what’s in the best interest of the team. Flynn was out there strictly to try and keep RM from looking bad. Ok. We get that. But you cover your bets by letting Pryor get reps also. I keep pointing to the Vick Foles competition. Not only did it make Vick sharper but it ensured a better backup in Foles if/when Vick gets injured.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

jesusraiderjim Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:04 am
    DJ Johnny Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 8:09 am
    ***************************************************

What should it say?

“Commitment to Mediocrity”

“Commitment to Inepitude”
    “Commitment to Suck”

I hear ya DJ not what it used to be.

Remember “Masters of Monday Night”?

=====================================================

My other sporting love has the motto “in pursuit of excellence”.

• Whoknows

************************************
    Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about DA

• Al_is_theraiders

stupid how many of als picks are still on the team? this shreks mess, he owns it.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“shreks an idiot if you cant see that youre blind and drunk on kool aid.” and not laughing at my “Jump Pass” jokes!

• LA to TheBay

825.Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:06 am

——–

Well, it’s the most important few series of his life. It really is. He should know this.

However, he needs to treat it mentally and play like it’s already his job.

If he puts too much pressure on himself and looks like sh;t, DA will go with Flynn in a heartbeat and look justified. May very well be.

But I think that CHI game was a microcosm of TP’s development.

People can argue about his doing damage against 2s. Well, after his first series, in which he did nada, the second against MOST of CHI’s starters was really, really nice.

Would have had a shot at a TD with 5 secs left at the 5 if Jacoby doesn’t drop that pass.

After the first series, all of Pryor’s PASSING was on the money. That strike to Kasa was fabulous.

I’m not sure who posted earlier, though he’s right, Pryor needs to work on anticipation stuff. Where the receiver WILL be. Once he puts that together — and he will — he’ll be the complete package.

Seems like coaches were afraid to take the training wheels off until CHI game. Read-option crap. TP’s a QB.

Pryor looks like the kind of guy who sets a goal, works hard, and achieves it.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

How many Raider first round picks are still on this team should be the question.

• bcz24

Why do you keep saying $12 million? If Flynn can’t beat The LEgend for the starting job this year, what makes you think he will be around to collect his $5 million next year?

• The_Judge37

neilb Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:16 am
    ——-

Two

• dplunk

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:03 am

I made a joke about Jeff Garcia teaching Pryor the “Jump Pass”

For some reason that put sand in the Vag of Dplunk and a few others.
    —————————————————-
    WOW!..I’m fairly new to this blog, but I know now who’s the sensitive one..you were the one that resorted to name calling. looks like the one with the Vag is you .

• Al_is_theraiders

837…good question…shrek got rid of some…results so far = 4-12, universally disrespected, 1-2 in preaseason outscored, out muscled, out ran , outplayed and outcoached.

• The_Judge37

bcz24 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:20 am
    ——

I think everyone is including the $8 million in dead money created by letting palmer go for Flynn. Which is all Flynn has contributed to this team, DEAD MONEY

• DutchRaider77

I wonder what TP would have looked like in the “Bed and Breakfast” offense?

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Charles,Seabass,Dmac and Hayden.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

DutchRaider77 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:23 am
    I wonder what TP would have looked like in the “Bed and Breakfast” offense?

=======================================================

He would have spent all game on his back looking at the sky wondering why no one will answer that phone.

• DutchRaider77

838.bcz24 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:20 am

____________________________________________________

Think Flynn under the right restructure could be traded back to the Packers at some point?

They need a backup QB.
    He might be a pretty good backup QB…

• Al_is_theraiders

Maybe when interviewed by shrek, DA stayed in a holiday inn express the night before…

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“.you were the one that resorted to name calling. looks like the one with the Vag is you .”

No one called you a name, I said you have sand in your vag and of course the only retort your feeble mind could conjure up was……maybe you have sand in your vag too?

LMAO what are we in 4th grade?

See post #801 when you were crying about what I said.

Try shutting your mouth or staying out of my posts unless I am talking to you.

You had no business taking a cheap jab at me as you don’t know me or who I am or my sense of humor in here. But you did it anyways you opened your fat mouth and this is the recourse for your actions. You are being embarrassed for the dim wit you are.

As you were.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Just admit you were butt hurt by my joke so we can all get in with our day and get out of the HR office.

• bcz24

Why do you wish DA to fail if he doesn’t start Pryor. My god, are you a Raider fan at all.
    ***************
    I don’t wish DA to fail. I was merely making a statement that IF DA starts Flynn he is signing his own death warrant. Flynn will not be successful here. He was outscored 55-7 in the last 2 games vs 1′s.