Houston believes pressure on QBs will come

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, August 26th, 2013 at 4:31 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Filed for print but with additional material . . .

Lamarr Houston is aware the Raiders first-team defense has barely laid a hand on Drew Brees or Jay Cutler in the last two preseason games.

And he’s not overly concerned.

“We want to get out there that we can rush the passer, but at the same time, it’s preseason, everything is very vanilla and offenses are very vanilla,’’ Houston said. “Right now, you can’t really tell how much better we’ve gotten as a defensive line, but soon, you’ll be able to see.’’

Considering the Raiders open the season with Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts and face Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos in Week 3 _ both on the road _ the sooner, the better.

Houston and strong safety Tyvon Branch will be the only starters remaining from a defensive personnel purge following the 2012 season. A third, linebacker Miles Burris, has yet to practice following offseason knee surgery.

The Raiders moved Houston from left end to right end, making him the blind side pass rusher although he’ll move inside on some downs with Andre Carter coming in as a nickel rusher.

A two-week absence with an undisclosed injury slowed Houston’s progress. He played against the Bears after minimal practice time and it showed, and coach Dennis Allen is hoping for better things when the Raiders close out the preseason Thursday night in Seattle.

“I thought he was rusty,’’ Allen said. “I don’t think that was his best effort. That just goes to show you it’s hard to play this game if you don’t get a chance to practice, so I’m looking forward to seeing improvement Thursday night and as we go into the regular season.’’

Houston, 6-foot-3 and 300 pounds, is not the prototype right end, playing with high energy, a low center of gravity and without the jet-propelled outside rush so often associated with his position. He has 10 sacks in three seasons at left end and ideally would get that many this season at right end.

“He’s a little bit more of a power rusher than he is a speed rusher, but I really think he’s a guy that can help in getting some pressure on the quarterback,’’ Allen said.

Houston was a record-breaking high school running back who also played linebacker in high school in Colorado Springs, Colo., before going to Texas and playing defensive end, and then moving inside to tackle as a junior.
Being on the move so often has Houston resistant to being typecast by where he lines up.

“I really don’t think of positions like that,’’ Houston said. “I wouldn’t put myself in a category as being a pass-rusher or a run-stopper. I just think I’m a pretty good athlete who loves to play football.

During the offseason, Houston was enthused over how quickly the Raiders defense came together with the new personnel. Training camp has been another story on the field, as only recent have they had their entire defensive front on the field at the same time, with Houston, Vance Walker and Pat Sims all battling injuries.

“We didn’t have everybody practicing the way we wanted to because of different circumstances and situations, but I believe that we’re getting the work we needed to get done in the meeting rooms as well as on the field,” Houston said. “I still feel we’re progressing in the right direction. It’s going to be a great feeling when we have everybody out there together.”

Houston doesn’t believe the Chicago game to be a representation of what the Raiders first-team defense will represent.

“I believe we’re a better defense,” Houston said. `This last game we came out flat, and we didn’t play up to our standard, but I’m 100 percent sure we’re a better defense than we were before.”

– Allen on the timetable to name a starting quarterback between Matt Flynn and Terrelle Pryor: “Obviously we open up in 13 days. That’s coming sooner rather than later. I think it’s been a good competition. We’ve got a couple of options there that are going to give us a chance.”

Matt Flynn will rest is sore throwing arm through Thursday, then be re-evaluated, Allen said.

– Allen said fourth-round draft pick Tyler Wilson will “probably” play against Seattle.

The Raiders face an interesting decision regarding the 53-man roster at quarterback. Do they cut a fourth-round draft pick in Wilson even though he’s been outperformed by undrafted free agent Matt McGloin? Or do they cut McGloin, figuring they would have a better chance of getting him on the practice squad? Wilson’s status as a fourth-round pick could make him difficult to slip through waivers.

– Linebacker Kaluka Maiava, out since late July with an ankle injury, was back at practice and hoping to play against Seattle.

“I’m tired of being locked up in the training room,’’ Maiava said. “I know I have a lot of catching up to do and I’m ready to get going. My teammates have been grinding this whole camp and I’ve been feeling left out and kind of letting them down. Feels great to be back and moving around and getting the season started.’’

Maiava began camp splitting first-team reps at weak side linebacker with Kevin Burnett but now will likely provide depth at all three positions as well as participate on special teams.

“We’ll find out more the more we get a chance to watch him, but when it comes time to determining who those starting three linebackers are, we’ll have to wait and see how that develops after the Seattle game,” Allen said.

– Place kicker Sebastian Janikowski wasn’t mentioned on Allen’s injury update with the meida, but he came out late to practice wearing a ballcap instead of a helmet and watched as punter Chris Kluwe attempted a field goal.

Following practice, the Raiders were trying out a left-footed place kicker on a far field in front of members of the personnel department. As a matter of policy, the Raiders don’t disclose the names of players who work out.

– Strong safety Tyvon Branch returned to practice after missing time with a rib injury. Allen said he would see how Branch responds before determining whether he would face Seattle. Cornerback Tracy Porter, having practiced the last two days, is likely to face Seattle.

It remains to be seen who the Raiders will start at cornerback, but the plan will be to keep D.J. Hayden on the outside, with Porter playing the slot receiver in the nickel.

The Raiders are still without wide receivers Brice Butler (hamstring) and Rod Streater (concussion).

– The Raiders waived defensive lineman Brandon Bair and offensive lineman Alex Parsons while injured. Both will move to the Raiders injured reserve list once they clear waivers.

The Raiders have three more players to trim from the roster Tuesday to reach 75.

– Allen’s assessment on rookie tight end Mychal Rivera: “I’ve seen a guy that does a pretty good job in the passing game. I think he’s got a pretty good feel for what we’re asking him to do in the passing game. He’s a guy that’s got to continue to work on his blocking. He’s improved his blocking . . . We’ve got some guys on this team who can turn into good NFL football players and he’s one of them.”

• bcz24

***********

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I think everyone is including the $8 million in dead money created by letting palmer go for Flynn. Which is all Flynn has contributed to this team, DEAD MONEY
    ***********
    Well that’s just retarded. Palmer was out of here regardless of whether or not we brought in Flynn.”

Flynn is not worth 6.5 there are hundreds of angry posts by people like me on this blog when Reggie signed him and threw in that extra money!

You can go back and see for yourself or I could post you the PFT link where Flynn got that extra money.

• dplunk

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 8:40 am
    What a bunch of sensitive “little bltches”.

Do you “tards” cry at movies?
    ——————————————————-
    779. Yea I’d say that’s name calling. you are as sensitive as they come, or as stupid as they come.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Bcz24

“Per a source with knowledge of the transaction, the Raiders have adjusted Matt Flynn’s contract to increase his guaranteed money from $2 million in 2013 to $6.5 million. All $6.5 million is fully guaranteed.”

• Cervantes74

Anyone see a new name on this blog and immediately wonder if it’s doc roberta?

Am I the only one?

• Cervantes74

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Bcz24

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bigger mistake is now keeping the guy on the roster and giving up another pick.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“you are as sensitive as they come, or as stupid as they come.”

Whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa you called me a name so I will call you that exact same name back wwwhhhaaaaaaaaa.

Go sit under a rainbow and write a poem about how you feel then fold it up into a tiny ball then shove that ball of paper up your ass!

Then come back here with a enlightening story!

Because right now all you are doing is whining.

• Cervantes74

Eyeball Test Chicago Game

When Flynn was in I was thinking…no way we win a single game this year.

With Pryor…we might win a couple of games this year.

For me it’s really that simple.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Dplunk

Time for you to get off my nuts little man. All you are doing is repeating what I say. A nut less monkey could do that. I am done talking to you.

• Al_is_theraiders

anytime theres a new name….” hey guys never posted before but….”

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Never understood this move without seeing the guy play in an actual regular season game. Big mistake by Reggie.

Bigger mistake is now keeping the guy on the roster and giving up another pick.”

And we gave up TWO draft picks for this turd!

There was no reason to throw that 2 million at Flynn!

• rediaR

They adjusted his contract to increase the hit this year and decrease it next year. Freedom in 2014 is what this entire off season was about.

• Al_is_theraiders

858 cosigned.

• Cervantes74

bcz24 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:31 am

Why do you wish DA to fail if he doesn’t start Pryor. My god, are you a Raider fan at all.
    ***************
    I don’t wish DA to fail. I was merely making a statement that IF DA starts Flynn he is signing his own death warrant. Flynn will not be successful here. He was outscored 55-7 in the last 2 games vs 1’s.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

51 to 7 but who’s counting.

Anyone who needs more evidence than this isn’t interested in winning football games.

Fans, Teammates, Coaches, Management, Ownership

There isn’t a more important stat than this one.

But there are more…

• Cervantes74

Flynn – 13 drives, 9 sacks, 2 INTs, 2 Fumbles, 1 TD, 1 FG, 7 3&OUTS

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“They adjusted his contract to increase the hit this year and decrease it next year”

Was that 2 million extra or so we cold cut him in 2014?

• LA to TheBay

860.Al_is_theraiders Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:43 am
    anytime theres a new name….” hey guys never posted before but….”

Can;t help but think it’s a troll, though I read this blog for years before I ever posted.

Everyone gotta pop their cherry once right?

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“I don’t care if we had TP2 or not. This guy simply can’t start and you go with McGloin or Wilson.”

Yeah see post #316 I personally feel like there are 65 QB’s better than Flynn in the NFL CFL and arena league.

• Cervantes74

TP2 – 10 drives, 2 sacks, 1 INT, 0 Fumbles, 3 TDs, 3 FGs, 0 3&OUTS

and he fires up the entire team.

I keep rewatching the 25 yard TD run against the Bears and Julius Pepper’s face as he’s watching it.

That’s a special play. Only 2 other guys in the NFL can make that play.

That kind of mobility greatly slows down a pass rush.

• DutchRaider77

If we cut Flynn tomorrow we still owe the draft picks to Seattle, right?

Do we have room to cut Flynn? His cap hit is $3.8M, his dead money is $6.5. Cheaper to keep him?

Next year his cap hit is $7.6M and his dead money is $3.6M.

• Just Fire Baby

Remember the Grad/Soup thing, starting in wk 2 2010?

*********************************

Great case study.

In this case Soup would be Flynn (the guy brought in and handed the starting job and got hurt in preseason) and Bruce would be Pryor (the backup from the year before who showed a little spark and was the fan favorite).

Remember, Soup got hurt the 3rd preseason game, didn’t play the 4th preseason game and was less effective than Bruce was in the preseason.

They started him, he struggled, they yanked him, put in Bruce for a bit and then went back to Soup and it worked.

I think it would have been massively different if they started Bruce week 1.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

Dutch! good to see you.

“If we cut Flynn tomorrow we still owe the draft picks to Seattle, right?”

I think the 2015 is conditional?

Let me check or I will bet someone in here knows.

• Cervantes74

I think we’re setting Flynn up for an injury settlement waiver.

Helps us keep the draft pick. Spreads out the guaranteed money over 3-4 years. Offsets save us money.

Dude has to go.

• Gdog

Cervantes74 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Flynn – 13 drives, 9 sacks, 2 INTs, 2 Fumbles, 1 TD, 1 FG, 7 3&OUTS

>>>>

Yikes.

Where is Alex7 at? This is where he would point out his regular season stats from years ago.

• dplunk

@Silverandblack666;

Allow me to introduce myself; I’ve been trooping with the Raiders since 1974.. I’m here to talk Raider football, not to be lulled into “school yard antics” I’m too old for that sh1t… have a good day

• Cervantes74

2015 is conditional.

Injury waiver and I would think we retain the pick plus spread out the money owed.

• The_Judge37

bcz24 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:33 am
    ***********
    ——-

Why did Palmer have to leave? Because of his cap number? Well Flynn is hitting our cap just as hard

Jano doesn’t want to kick with King holding. I agree the King has turned out to be the better punter, but we are going to kick a lot of FG’s this year and the hold needs to be spot on.

I agree about keeping Kluwe over King.

In the grand scheme of things, an effective place holder is going to be very important. Ask Jano who he likes the best. Let Jano make the call.

45 yards or less it might not matter, but when seabass is attempting a 60 yarder that hold better be perfect!

***

@Bcz & G123

so we all agree that King is the better punter, but you fellas think we’re gonna keep Kluwe instead … for other reasons?

isn’t that like JFB saying Cribbs was a lock for something other than returner duties??

somebody else can freaking hold. how about Matt Flynn or Matt McGloin ?? ya know “the backups”

• Just Fire Baby

If we cut Flynn tomorrow we still owe the draft picks to Seattle, right?

*******************************

Only 1 of them.

ONe was contingent on something, and I am sure it was not contingent upon being benched and released.

• Cervantes74

Got to get to work. Hopefully RM continues his method of management.

The one good thing I’ve seen out of him besides getting the cap in order, which is huge, is that

when a mistake has been made he seems to quickly correct it.

• DutchRaider77

872.Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:50 am
    Dutch! good to see you.

“If we cut Flynn tomorrow we still owe the draft picks to Seattle, right?”

I think the 2015 is conditional?

Let me check or I will bet someone in here knows.

________________________________________________

• AbusedByAl

Ok, so what can we expect of this season? Better than 4-8 ? I have a bad feeling… all sorts of problems still with this team…

• rediaR

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Was that 2 million extra or so we cold cut him in 2014?
    ———————–
    It was probably there just to cause heads to explode on various blog poster shoulders.

More money this year is guaranteed. I don’t think he is getting paid more overall (length of contract) technically. However if we decide to cut him in the off season it will save us money then.

• The_Judge37

—–

That’s what i’ve been saying. Since we can’t afford to cut Flynn, make him the designated place holder.

• Just Fire Baby

somebody else can freaking hold

******************************

No they can’t.

Every NFL team, every single year, has their punter hold. It helps the flow of practice, reduce injuries, etc.

Nobody is making a special exemption for a guy who has never even punted in an NFL game before.

Did you see Shane asking out of his holding responsibilities? The best punter EVER had to hold, the 2013 Raiders punter will have to hold as well.

It is in the job REQUIREMENTS.

• LTR

Cervantes74 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:40 am
    Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Bcz24

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bigger mistake is now keeping the guy on the roster and giving up another pick.
    ******************************
    I believe originally that the 6.5 was guaranteed over 2 years. All they did was move into year 1.

• oakfasho

Skip over Allens comments,this guy is dumber then a sack of hammers.

• Just Fire Baby

You think Shane wanted to hold the last few years? You don’t think if there ever was going to be a full-time non-punter holder, it would have been him?

If King doesn’t learn how to hold, he will never punt in the NFL.

EVER

• guest123

@ Rock,

I don’t wanna waste a roster spot on McGloin as our designated kick holder. I agree that Flynn should be in there on kicks, like in the old days QB’s did that all the time. It’s too late in the preseason to learn new tricks. We gotta make a decision now and Kluwe is the best man for the kick holder job. King’s gotta go.

• willy91137

I am trying to stay positive but it’s hard when you listen to the radio or watch on Tv
    wen they start talking about the Raiders is how sad the team is how Matt Flynn is not an NFL quarterback

how the defense can’t get off the field and we have no pass rush the strength of our defense is our defensive backs
    but they will get exposed with no pass rush most people say we will win two games
    the Jets and split with San Diego I hate this this is been going on way too long

and next year thay will fire all the coaches and will start all over I hope that does not happen
    I don’t think Dennis Allen is that bad of a coach he doesn’t do offense

if prior is our starting quarterback next year I hope we stay everything the same

changing coaches and offenses don’t help

Reggie’s mistakes are starting to show his fourth-round pick quarterback may get cut
    his starting quarterback can’t play Mark is trying to get a new stadium here in Oakland
    by only winning two games people are not going to buy tickets there will be blackouts
    I hope they really look good on Thursday night because I need something to cheer me up
    besides Mr. Jameson

• Just Fire Baby

They moved Flynn’s salary to a guaranteed bonus, giving them some cap flexibility this year and moving forward, but attached a dead money hit if he gets released next offseason.

I wouldn’t have done it, but it wasn’t anything major.

Not like we were going to trade for him, and then cut him, so his salary in 2013 was pretty much guaranteed anyways.

• Whoknows

*************************************
    I never understood why the backups don’t hold, might force the defense to be on their toes just a bit. Or at least some speedster just in case something went wrong with the snap.

• Just Fire Baby

Another point on the punter, especially Kluwe.

By all account he has an average leg, is a pain in the azz and potential media distraction.

Yet he stays employed, as a punter, which is pretty easy to be replaced.

Reason being, he does all the nuances of his position (directionally kicking, NEVER HAVING A PUNT BLOCKED IN HIS LIFE, best TB ratio in the NFL last year, holding) at a Pro Bowl level.

Shows you that simply rocketing 53 yard punts is not the be-all-end-all for punters.

• The_Judge37

Whoknows Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 10:01 am
    *************************************
    ——-

They don’t hold because it takes away from their practice as back up QB’s. That’s why it’s usually just the trio of LS, P and K.

But we have a luxury of having 3 qbs on the roster and one guy, Flynn, who has absolutely no duties or obligations this season.

• Just Fire Baby

I think the #1 reason backups don’t hold, is because practice and OTA’s are so specialized now, the snapper-holder-punter-kicker are just stay off to the side and do there thing.

Can’t stop the offenses practice reps to pull out Criner or something to go run over to the over field and hold for a minute. While the punter does what? Stand there?

My two cents.

• Raider E

Raiders/Bears replay right now.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Thanks, sorry I missed you at the game. What is your next game? I am going to the Redskins, Chargers, Eagles and Chiefs…”

Here is my email hit me up before the game will meet you for a beer inside or in the lot!

my_music_666@yahoo

Flynn is about as injured as Mike Brisiel. When you’re McMumbles big FA signing, then you don’t get benched, you get “Injured”.

***

ouch, Judge!

sad but true

• The_Judge37

Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 10:03 am
    Another point on the punter, especially Kluwe.

Yet he stays employed, as a punter, which is pretty easy to be replaced.

——

Kluwe has no hang time. All of his punts have been returned for at least 10-15 yards. It’s not like this team is punting inside the 50 with a long range kicker like Seabass. We need someone who can blast it when they go 3nOut after a touchback kickoff.

• rediaR

Well this team could probably use someone to distract the media.