Allen knows Raiders QB, but he’s not telling

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, August 29th, 2013 at 11:32 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Filed for print with additional material . . .
Following a 22-6 loss to the Seattle Seahawks to close out the preseason, Raiders coach Dennis Allen was asked point blank if he knew who his starting quarterback would be when the regular season begins.

“I’m not telling you, but yes,’’ Allen said.

An anxious fan base will have to wait and see whether Terrelle Pryor or Matt Flynn will be under center when the Raiders play against the Indianapolis Colts on Sept. 8.

Based on how things went when Pryor subbed for a sore-armed Matt Flynn Thursday night before 67,341 fans at CenturyLink Field, it could go either way.

The Raiders finished the preseason 1-3 and Allen will turn his attention to trimming 22 players form the roster to get to the NFL limit of 53 by Saturday. Seattle is 4-0.

Pryor showed the running skills that make him such an intriguing option but struggled with his passing in a first-half performance which was limited to 19 snaps because Seattle moved at will against the Raiders first- and second-team defense.

With 45 yards rushing on three carries, including a 25-yard burst around right end and a 17-yard bootleg to the left, Pryor helped set up Justin Medlock for field goals of 45 and 37yards.

But when it came to pass, Pryor was 3 of 8 for 31 yards, an interception on an under-thrown deep ball to Jacoby Ford, and a miniscule 9.9 passer rating. Late in the half, when the Raiders took over with 3:52 to play, they went 61 yards without completing a pass _ not exactly a pro-style passing attack.

Allen thought the lack of rhythm in the passing game was at least in part due to having the ball for only 19 plays. Pryor was critical of himself over the interception, but otherwise thought he did OK.

The Raiders sat out center Stefen Wisniewski and right tackle Khalif Barnes, in addition to running back Darren McFadden.

“I didn’t have some of my guys, guys I was working with all week,’’ Pryor said. “I’ll get better. It’s crunch time now.’’

Allen said he will withhold an announcement of the quarterback “until the appropriate time’’, and when asked if he might wait until the season opener, said, “We’ll see.’’

Flynn, Allen said, is expected to be back at practice and ready to play Monday after resting his arm.

Neither quarterback was interested in lobbying for the job.

“I don’t really want to get into that,’’ Pryor said. It’s going to be coach’s call and whatever he thinks is best for the team. It’s all about the team, and if it’s me leading, I’ll lead to the best of my ability and we’ll get things done. If it’s Matt leading, then we’ll get things done too and I’ll support him.’’

Allen may know who the quarterback is, but Flynn said he had no idea and added, “I don’t know. We’ll wait and see. I can only control what I do.’’

Allen was able to find silver linings among the black clouds that found the Raiders scoring only 16 points in the first halves of the last three preseason games.

Most notably, Seattle had only 34 yards rushing on 17 first-half carries.

“We wanted to be a physical team in this game and really I thought we were,’’ Allen said. “ I thought our guys played with effort, I thought our guys ran around. We didn’t always play as smart as we needed to play.’’

Another bright spot was left tackle Menelik Watson, playing his first game at the position after only one padded practice. The second-round pick incurred no penalties and had no glaring mistakes.

“The first thing that comes to mind is I’ve got to get better,’’ Watson said. “There’s a few things comfort wise with the run game, that I got more reps at. I think I did a good job mostly just concentrating on the assignment and what I’ve got to do.’’

– Seattle starting quarterback Russell Wilson was 3 of 3 for 68 yards and a touchdown and Robert Hauschka kicked five field goals to account for Seattle’s scoring.

The Raiders were particularly vulnerable on rollouts and bootlegs with receivers breaking free.

– Running back Rashad Jennings had 53 yards on six carries including bursts of 9 and 32 yards on Oakland’s field goal drive before the half.

—- Wide receiver Brice Butler did not make the trip because of a hamstring injury and Sio Moore, bothered by a toe injury of late, also did not play.

– Mike Brisiel, who has struggled with his knee of late, played as the second-team right guard in the second half behind starter Lucas Nix.

– Rookie defensive end David Bass, a seventh-round draft pick, got good pressure and had one sack erased by a defensive holding penalty by linebacker Kaelin Burnett.

– It was the eighth consecutive year the Raiders have ended the preseason against the Seahawks. Seattle has won seven times, with the only Raiders win coming 23-16 in the only game played between the two teams in Oakland in 2010.

– Pryor on how he’s adjusting to the differences between college and pro football): “Accuracy. Timing with receivers. I think I’ve definitely gotten better with that. Making strides. Today I threw one to Rod (Streater), I believe, and he hadn’t come out of his break yet.”

– Flynn on if line struggles and his mobility hurt his chances to be the starter: “There are a lot of things we have been cleaning up protection-wise. A lot of it is miscommunications and things we need to get cleaned up.”

How Flynn would assess the preseason: “I felt there were a lot of good things. I don’t judge the preseason by just what happened in some of the games. It’s about seeing where you are as a player and a football team and I think overall things went well. We would have liked to put some better stuff on film game-wise but that’s what it’s for.”

– Chris Kluwe had a line-drive 44-yard punt that Walter Thurmond returned up the middle for 28 yards, but later had a 48-yard punt with good hangtime. Marquette King hit a 52-yard punt with a net of 41 on his lone punt.

Kluwe was the holder on Medlock’s 45-yard field goal, and King was the holder when Medlock connected from 37. Medlock was subbing for Sebastian Janikowski, who sat out the game with a calf injury.

“I think it’s been a good competition. I think both of those guys have done some good things and we’ll let you know at the appropriate time who we decide to go with,” Allen said.

– Allen said he planned all along not to play not to play Wisniewski, Barnes and McFadden. Free safety Charles Woodson sat out because he was ill.

– Lamarr Houston and Christo Bilukidi had sacks for the Raiders, who had their best penetration of the preseason from their defensive front. Rookie seventh-round pick David Bass had a sack erased on a penalty.

“This was the first time this preseason we were able to get our starting defensive line all together and I thought we did a nice job of stopping the run and really there was a couple of times where were able to get to the quarterback too and that was good to see,” Allen said.

–Not much to choose from in the battle for third quarterback between Matt McGloin (5 of 7 for 41 yards, zero points) and Tyler Wilson (8 of 12, 65 yards, zero points).

One of the more intriguing cuts the Raiders will make. McGloin had the better training camp and preseason, but was an undrafted free agent. Wilson was a fourth-round draft pick. Allen has stressed competition, but general manager Reggie McKenzie could well take that position that in projecting the players, Wilson will be the better player down the road.

Marcus Benard, anyone?

• raideralex99

I watched the pats game last night before the raider game and they got 2 WRs and a TE rookie in one draft that can catch the ball .
    How come good teams have no problem finding replacements through the draft or FAs?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Raider Dawg Says:
    ==================================================

Josh Cribbs. No more.

• R8ER MIKE

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:36 pm
    Raider Dawg Says:I haven’t even an ounce, unfortunately. Perhaps you can share?
    ******************************************
    you sir are a GreenParty member. so you know damn well i will share my ounce with you !!

• Relentless

This is gonna be a long sad year. I’m so depressed.

• DutchRaider77

748.Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:53 pm
    Ducth are you going to the Jaguar game?

__________________________________________________

Sadly no, Redskins, Chargers, Eagles and Chiefs.

Are you doing the Jaguars fun run?

• JLofty

BTW, I have doomed our chances in the Pitt home game. My cousin got tix and I am attending.

The Raiders record in the one or two game(s) a year I have roadtripped to from the Silver State is appallingly bad. In fact I can’t recall a victory in a game I have been to in the past 10 yrs.
    Maybe one, can’t remember it though. Getting old/too much booze etc….

Going to be pizzed if the Raiders stick it up that game. Cuz is a Squeeler fan for some reason and that would suck…also be harder to keep him alive.

• R8ER MIKE

@ Relentless. all you need is a good bag of buds my brother !! it works for my Raider depression

• mikep562

raider E….
    put mikep562 raiders record 12-4 …dont see one d that can stop us in first 8 wks other than maybe kc…think we have easy schedule and allen, tarver and olson will pull some trix out of their sleeves…it was afterall preseason you guys…step off that ledge

• RaidO

If Pryor would have hit that under thrown “deep ball” he would be 100% named the starter. With that in mind Pryor should be the starter. The timing will come. You will not see any “deep ball” threats with Flynn at QB.
    Pryor made some good throws and had a nice 25 yard run.
    Moore has not looked to good and did Pryor no favors. I guess we see why Olson spoke out about him.
    Seattle is probably the best team in the NFL. Their 2nd stringers could be starters on other teams.

• elraidmanhattan

Silver my feelings are hurt, poor me. Now go back to the internet and try to learn something. The knowledge you impart here is very limited.

• raideralex99

Relentless Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    This is gonna be a long sad year. I’m so depressed.
    ———————————————–
    Stay positive … Clowney will improve the defence 100% and make the rest of the defence look better.

• JLofty

*stink* not stick…

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Are you doing the Jaguars fun run?”

Was going to just go to 5 games this year but now I am scared they are moving to LA soon….so will be at all of them this season.

• Relentless

R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:57 pm
    —–
    Just got done hitting some. It makes me think way more, I can only think about this season and the massacre we are about to behold. And DA making excuses for himself the whole way through.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Silverandblack666 Says:
    I am so old I remember when Ray Guy was our 3rd string QB.
    ===================================================

As am I. And I don’t think he ever threw on a fake punt. Waited for it and waited for it. Flores liked a little trickery as well.

Kinda why I’d of been happy with Palmer #1, Pryor #2 and Lechler #3 this year.
    They laughed at me, but what’s the consensus now?
    We’re screwed any way. Throw (whoever) out there and see what happens.

• Raider Dawg

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:51 pm
    “We’ve got another converted QB on offense too, I believe, though who it is escapes me. Hmmm. Ronald Curry is not on the roster anymore, right?”

I am so old I remember when Ray Guy was our 3rd string QB.
    ******************

I remember the team well enough back then (early-mid 80s, anyhow). Used to pretend I was Marcus when we went out and played, but I guess the punter position just didn’t pique my interest as a child. Never once did I pretend to be Ray Guy in a game of backyard football!

• Relentless

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    “Are you doing the Jaguars fun run?”

—–
    The Rose Bowl has already agreed to accept a team until the stadium is built. Since I live about 7 blocks away I will be at every game.

• JLofty

Lechler threw a nice ball. Too bad McFadden does’t or we could line him up behind center and throw Pryor out wide…

Wondering how Jennings sprial is….

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Relentless Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:58 pm
    “Are you doing the Jaguars fun run?”

—–

=======================================

I have a sneaking suspicion that one year from today, Ed Roski will own a large part of this team.

• Relentless

As long as it isn’t built on Frank McCourt’s land. Otherwise we’re screwed.

• Jesus

13 wins, and not all come in the regular season, so sayeth the lord.

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

This blog is for entertainment and once and a while you will get a small nugget of news that you would not get anywhere else about our team.

This is not a good place if you are an insecure loner looking for affirmation by lying about how smart you are or how much karate you know or how big your cock is.

Since I understand this concept I enjoy my time here. The guy who is on my nuts right now and desperately seeking attention is not having as much fun. He is just kind of getting slapped around by me and a couple of others.

Lighten up its a BLOG!

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Relentless Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

As long as it isn’t built on Frank McCourt’s land. Otherwise we’re screwed.

==================================

If Roski buys in, it means we’re headed for Industry (soon to be renamed Grand Crossing, CA).

• Relentless

Jesus Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 2:03 pm
    13 wins, and not all come in the regular season, so sayeth the lord.
    —–
    I’m atheist.

• SnBG

I don’t think the team will get to anything above 8-8. They looked so bad in the preseason it’s hard to say anything else. Yes preseason isn’t a real good test of a team but watching all of the playoff teams this preseason most of them look preeeetty sharp.Most of them have been playing together for a while and have built up chemistry together. This is the issue for the Raids. The D has so many new players and the O has a new starting QB and a patch work line that hasn’t played together very much. We have Watson that has never played LT. 6-10 to maybe 8-8 if we get a few breaks and the team can jell.

• Relentless

Silverandblack666 Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Lighten up its a BLOG
    —–
    Dude, mine is huge. LoL!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

R8ER MIKE Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:36 pm
    Raider Dawg Says:I haven’t even an ounce, unfortunately. Perhaps you can share?
    ******************************************
    ==================================================

Couldn’t figure out how I got in this post.
    Then remembered I offered Dawg my Eternal Optimist..

Purvisman/Intrepid/ Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Raider Dawg Says:
    You, sir, have some optimism! I haven’t even an ounce, unfortunately. Perhaps you can share?
    ======================================================

Here. You can borrow this: Eternal Optimist

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

Relentless Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Jesus Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 2:03 pm
    13 wins, and not all come in the regular season, so sayeth the lord.
    —–
    I’m atheist.

===================================

That makes you, me and 666 (and maybe more).

CODE HEATHEN!

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“They laughed at me, but what’s the consensus now?”

I agree PURV!!!

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Never once did I pretend to be Ray Guy in a game of backyard football!”

When I was a kid we used to all say “I am the Juice”

No one is saying that now…

• http://www.christianitydisproved.com/ Silverandblack666

“Dude, mine is huge. LoL!”

LMFAo good one.

I see you are a Athiest.

There are a few here:

Silverandblack666
    Duck
    Relentless

• Jesus

I’m agnostic but when people say you are the son of God what are you to do? hahaha

• inonewordraider

It’s hard to tell without having, especially when I was in there, I didn’t have Wiz (Stefen Wisniewski) in there, I really didn’t have my guys, the guys I was working with all week
    _____________
    pryor seems like a good guy who means well

but I don’t like this quote, no excuses, doesn’t matter who’s in there because injuries happen and you might not always have the starters plus it puts down the backups

• Jesus

I agree… NO EXCUSES!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Relentless Says:
    ======================================================

Home boy! Pasadena born and raised. Got out in ’92.
    Lived all over that place. Closest to the Rose Bowl was Idaho and Mentone, a couple blocks from Muir parking lot, and a block from Sirhan Sirhans house.

• Raider E

JLofty 6-10

• Relentless

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 2:11 pm
    Relentless Says:
    ======================================================

Home boy! Pasadena born and raised. Got out in ‘92.
    —–
    LoL! Small world. Yea I live on Los Robles and Orange Grove. So it’s about a 15 min walk from here. I went to PHS though. Damn Turkey Tussles.

• JLofty

New post numbnuts….

• SnBG

For the atheist here. Where does consciousness go?
    No I’m not a Christian or care for organize religion. I’m not an atheist though

• RaiderKenny24

raideralex99 Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Relentless Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    This is gonna be a long sad year. I’m so depressed.
    ———————————————–

—————————–
    Not so fast. First I think the Jets have the #1 overall pick next year. Second,Clowney stunk it up yesterday too…barely around the ball,zero sacks and gassed after the first quarter. Called out by Todd McShay and Jesse Palmer during the game/or weather delay break for his lack of conditioning and taking himself out of the game several times.

The possible #1 overall pick better be able to play all four downs for a defensive prospect. Plus even with Clowney leading the 2013,2014 NFL/NCAA hype,franchise QB’s are still top priority for teams in need from any draft. So Teddy Bridgewater,Brett Hundley,Tahj Boyd are all still in play for Oakland.

Be funny to see each QB: either Pryor,Wilson,McGloin take a portion of this season as the starter. Like an audition for 2014.

I didn’t include Matt Flynn. To me (and I don’t think I’m alone here) he’s like the choice of Ben Affleck for the Batman reboot,a safe and uninspiring Knight. Dude can kick rocks IMO – 6.5 million reasons why he won’t get cut.

• eastoaklandraider

Raideralex99 Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:18 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:01 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 12:54 pm
    Raideralex99 Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 12:50 pm
    Pryor has talent no question but like the good doctor said … the QB position is not it.
    This is Pryors third season yet the 2 rookie QBs in camp completed more passes.
    ————

At this point who are you trying to convice? yourself?
    ———–

No answer, you know what that means, agenda.
    ———————————————————————————————————-

Sure I can answer that.
    NFL coaches do not think he is QB material because if they did … Pryor would have been starting meaningful games in the NFL already. I don’t know why fans think they know more than coaches … who has the NFL coach’s job? I saw two other QBs on the Raiders out perform Pryor last night but that’s just one game I saw. You don’t see me pushing them to be starters … Do you? That’s the coaches job.
    ——————–

So coahes, GM’s, and owners are never wrong?

• Raider Dawg

Relentless Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 2:04 pm
    Jesus Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 2:03 pm
    13 wins, and not all come in the regular season, so sayeth the lord.
    —–
    I’m atheist.
    *****************

I am too, but if this Lord fella can get us 13 wins, sign him!

• 2romes

Agreed! The Raiders would have been playing for home field advantage for these years. Reggie ‘s first and biggest mistake. He wants his own guy over the progresses of the Raiders.

—––———————————————————————————————————————

Twice Reggie has made us start over on offense!

TWICE!!!
    ————————————————————————————————————–
    Well said and 100 % correct. Reggie should have fixed the defence in his 2 years instead of trying to put his stamp on the team. Now the Raiders have a bottom 5 offence and defence.