1,111

Allen won’t name QB, but Watson is left tackle

Unedited version filed for print . .
Raiders coach Dennis Allen said Friday he still hasn’t told Matt Flynn or Terrelle Pryor who would be the starting quarterback, but he did anoint rookie Menelik Watson as the starting left tackle.

Speaking to media by conference call, Allen declined to get into specifics regarding the roster cutdown to 53 or position battles, choosing to wait until the 53-man roster is assembled Saturday at 3 p.m.

“I would anticipate that Menelik Watson would be our starter for the opening game,’’ Allen said, referring to the Raiders first regular-season game on Sept. 8 on the road against the Indianapolis Colts.

Watson missed almost all of training camp with a calf strain and played left tackle against Seattle into the third quarter after being a right tackle throughout his 19-game career at Saddleback Community College and Florida State.

It would have been tough to tell in a 22-6 loss to Seattle, as Watson committed no penalties and showed the kind of athletic skill that made him the Raiders second-round draft pick.

“After watching the tape, I was impressed,’’ Allen said. “I thought he looked comfortable over there. I thought he played hard, I thought he played physical, which is something I wanted to see . . . I thought he would do well because he’s a big, powerful man.

“He just hasn’t played the position a lot and he’s got to go through the growing process over there.’’

As for which quarterback Watson will be protecting, Allen wouldn’t say, other than he’ll inform the quarterbacks themselves “sooner, rather than later.’’

Pryor’s statistical line (3 of 8 passing, 31 yards, one interception and 9.9 passer rating) was unimpressive, but Allen said he wasn’t overly concerned with those numbers.

“You want your quarterback to be able to make plays,’’ Allen said. “It really doesn’t matter what the box score says at the end of the game, how many yards they ran for or how many completions they had. What it really boils down to is how they move the team and are we effective and do we score enough points.’’

When the preseason ended, both Flynn and Pryor had been at quarterback for 13 drives. Flynn produced 10 points in those drives and Pryor 32, although Flynn’s work was against first-team defenses.

– The offensive line could undergo another reshuffle before the season opener. Tony Bergstrom, who had seemed to settle in at left guard, sustained a “significant’’ foot injury and Allen said it looked like the second-year player would miss some time.

If Bergstrom is out, Allen said the likely option would be moving Lucas Nix back to left guard and re-inserting Mike Brisiel at right guard. Brisiel had missed time with a knee injury but fared well playing with the second team against Seattle with the knowledge that his roster spot was at stake.

“He knew he needed to go into the game and play pretty well and I thought he did that,’’ Allen said.

Two other potential starters are also iffy to face Indianapolis. Sio Moore, the rookie strong side linebacker who was been with the first team since he arrived, missed the Seattle game with a toe injury. Tight end David Ausberry has been out with a shoulder injury.

Allen said he would have a better idea on both players when the Raiders return to practice Monday.

– While the Raiders got better pressure on Seattle quarterbacks than they had against Chicago and New Orleans, not much of the pass rush came from veteran defensive end Andre Carter.

“I don’t know that he was able to get after the passer as much as we would have liked,’’ Allen said. “He was really solid in run-support.’’

– Allen said he wouldn’t rule out keeping four quarterbacks on the roster. He said No. 4 quarterback Tyler Wilson had good command of the huddle but “looked like he hadn’t gotten a lot of playing time.’’

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• the famous dr robert

We already had a chance to pick up VY and passed.

We still have to get rid of Pryor. Not pick up one like him.

• the famous dr robert

Actually, VY was better than Pryor ever will be.

• hellsbells

Lee is only top ten receiver coming out.

• DJ Johnny

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:06 am

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:04 am

Anybody check the credentials of this Dan Connolly guy who was tweeting all that crap about Mark Davis FORCING Reggie to start Pryor?

========================================

He’s a complete nobody who’s repeating crap he read online.

That’s what I figured. I don’t think Mark would meddle to that degree.

• the famous dr robert

IMAO (in my arrogant opinion)

• Dmac2008

901, I know you are trolling but come on man. You cant really believe that can you? We both agree VY is garbage tho.

• DJ Johnny

Reggie picking up Tebow would be the shocker of the day.

• hellsbells

Hoping Seattle cuts that kid from Idaho. Kid has serious pass rush skills, would even trade for him. Fourth rounder. We need pass rush desperately.

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

DJ Johnny Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:12 am

Reggie picking up Tebow would be the shocker of the day.

=================================

If we’re really going with Pryor and running a read-option, it would make sense to have a backup who can run it, too.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

DJ Johnny Says:
    ====================================================

I tried. Couldn’t find any.

• hellsbells

We also need some power blocking guards.

• Marko32

Dr I don’t usually agree with anything you say but Nelson Agholor out of SC is going be a great player. Started as a true freshman last year so he’s still young. Won’t be available for draft for a couple more years

• SpudRaider

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:10 am
    We already had a chance to pick up VY and passed.

We still have to get rid of Pryor. Not pick up one like him.
    *******************
    Doc check out my new on-line store…I got an aluminum hat just your size

My point is that when we passed earlier I agreed with that decision. Situation is now different. V Young got a chance to knock off some of the rust w/ someone else, and still is a talent. Going bankrupt has a way of opening someone’s eyes to reality. I think he has been humbled.

• the famous dr robert

Dmac2008 Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:12 am
    **********
    Trolling? No.

Believe it? Not really.

But I wouldn’t be shocked by anything right now.

Pryor announced as starter? Idiotic but possible.

Pryor traded to Buffalo? Surprising but not crazy.

It’s Thunderdome.

• the famous dr robert

Spud–hey I always kinda liked VY.

I advocated signing him.

Would rather have him than Pryor. And that’s serious.

• rediaR

Oh god… I’d turn into Hunter if Reggie signed Tebow.

• Dmac2008

Lol Dr, well played. I know you are crazy about Flynn but truth be told he sucks, so does Pryor. With the Raiders O line and Pryor’s running abilities he is about the only option we have… sadly.

• Dmac2008

RediaR, ditto. I would go crazy if we signed Teblow… ugh

• rediaR

The line looks fine with a competent LT and Briesel on the bench.

• SpudRaider

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:20 am
    Spud–hey I always kinda liked VY.

I advocated signing him.

Would rather have him than Pryor. And that’s serious.
    *******************
    Well I’m glad you take my remarks how there intended…just jesting w/ you.

From my perspective at this time Pryor has won the locker room battle. Flynn has lost. Pryor & Young are leaders, Flynn not.

People forget but at LSU Flynn was not an every down QB. He was in a QB rotation, played only 75% of the time.

• rediaR

Go Rice!

• the famous dr robert

Tebow? I thought u guys liked hard working, pass-challenged “winners”.

• the famous dr robert

Locker room battle?

They have a towel fight or something?

How would anyone know who the players support?

My guess. Is they support whoever is best.

• rediaR

This an from rice looks like he would win the job if he was in oakland

• Dmac2008

All I want is for one of my teams to be good this year, my baseball team sucks (white Sox) and it looks like my football team will blow also. sad times.

• rediaR

Qb not “an”. Damn autocorrect.

• frankblack

We want Clowney!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

RediaR Says:

No, moving our best offensive lineman to a less important position would not improve the line. If Gurode is one of the best inside guys, give him a G spot. No need to move Wiz.
    ********
    The Famous Dr Robert Says:

G spot? Wiz? Beeech?
    —————-
    RediaR Says:

Hahahahah nice catch.
    ======================================================

Alas, I had retired for the evening.
    I was all over that G spot as soon as I saw it. As usual.
    And if Gurode is one of the best inside guys, he was too.

• the famous dr robert

My Reds are good. My Irish will contend.

And my fantasy team (picked tomorrow) will kill it as usual.

It’s these Raiders that are fvcking everything up.

• the famous dr robert

Heard the G spot is a myth.

The ladies love that idea.

• Dmac2008

My best guess (and that is all we can do is guess) on who the locker room supports goes like this : Hb’s and Defense suppirt Pryor, more running plays = less time for the D to be on the Field, and Hb because Pryor adds another running threat to open up the running lanes. The Wr/Tes support Flynn because he is a better passer (and that is not saying much). Just thinking out loud

• SpudRaider

the famous dr robert Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:29 am
    Locker room battle?

They have a towel fight or something?

How would anyone know who the players support?

My guess. Is they support whoever is best.
    ********************************
    Your right I have no Crystal ball… but it seems to me when Pryor is in there seems to be more energy from all.

As far as a towel fight I’d put my money on Pryor.

• RaiderSam

any waived players you want in for a tryout?

T Max Starks
    CB Marcus Trufant
    QB Dennis Dixon
    TE Jake Ballard
    CB Marc Anthony
    OT JMarcus Webb
    QB Trent Edwards
    OG Kasey Studdard
    LB Gary Guyton
    QB Vince Young

• willy91137

I do not see this team winning one game this year they might be the jags

if they do start winning it won’t be till after game 8 but there’s nothing like game experience
    we have a lot of young players that this season will help a lot I hope Mark keeps a cool head
    and don’t fire the coach until the season ends if DA does leave and they put offense of line coach in charge
    he wasn’t a great coach in Miami and I don’t think you would do much better here

I wonder what DA thinks of Flynn maybe after he’s fired he will spill his guts

that fcking Reggie set me up he got me Flynn to play quarterback because they fell in love in Green Bay I didn’t have a fcking chance

• http://WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com Sir RaiderDuck, OMS

RaiderSam Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:35 am

any waived players you want in for a tryout?

T Max Starks
    CB Marcus Trufant
    QB Dennis Dixon
    TE Jake Ballard
    CB Marc Anthony
    OT JMarcus Webb
    QB Trent Edwards
    OG Kasey Studdard
    LB Gary Guyton
    QB Vince Young

========================================

Maybe Ballard. Nobody else on that list.

• Marko32

Announce our cuts now. Every these NFL pundits always talk about our lack of talent, what the heck is the org. thinking. Cut who you’re gonna cut and start picking up players who are gonna help us out. Start building our practice squad.

• Dmac2008

I would not mind Webb, Ramasas (not listed) , Ballard, and Trufant in for a workout.

• Marko32

Sign Webb for depth. Cut Briesel, he’s always hurt move Webb inside

• Dmac2008

Webb can not be worse than Willie Smith can he???

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

SpudRaider Says:
    As far as a towel fight I’d put my money on Pryor.
    ====================================================

He’s got the reach, but accuracy could still be an issue.

• Marko32

Willie Smith > Briesel

• willy91137

Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:37 am
    RaiderSam Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:35 am

any waived players you want in for a tryout?

T Max Starks
    CB Marcus Trufant
    QB Dennis Dixon
    TE Jake Ballard
    CB Marc Anthony
    OT JMarcus Webb
    QB Trent Edwards
    OG Kasey Studdard
    LB Gary Guyton
    QB Vince Young

======================================
    I wonder if Vince Young has anything left he would be a good backup for prior
    if he doesn’t have a nervous breakdown and start crying

• shutdown

“Morilla, I am not sure what is wrong with Moore but, he was an explosive playmaker and now seems uninterested in doing much.”

__________________________

It’s not unusual for people in many fields, and that certainly includes athletics, to go on a great run (for a time)and impress everyone, including themselves. This happens to bad golfers, be they pros or duffers…they don’t just post a great number, they actually “find a swing,” and it works for a while but only for a while.

I am beginning to think that Moore is one such guy–his rookie year he impressed others and himself with some unbelievable catches –even if his routes were not good– and now, he’s done what most do, regressed to his mean. It’s altogether probably he’s not at all as talented as he LOOKED to be in those few games just as the 12 handicap golfer who shoots a few even par rounds because he has caught lightening in a bottle for a time is NOT as talented as those few low rounds might have suggested at the time.

Coaches and talent evaluators of all kinds have to remind themselves of the regression to the mean reality.

• the famous dr robert

Bring in Russell and Webb and have a Jamarcus/J’marcus OT battle.

• Dmac2008

kasaam Osgood is a ST ace, would not mind bringing him in for a workout either.

• RaiderSam

Dmac2008 Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:40 am
    Webb can not be worse than Willie Smith can he???
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    and Webb cannot be any worse than Willie Smith – the issue is the guaranteed money as he is more experienced and was a starter (the one Cutler dogged out on camera in front of teammates.)

part 2 – others…any takers?

QB Seneca Wallace

Willy91137 Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:41 am
    Sir RaiderDuck, OMS Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:37 am
    RaiderSam Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:35 am

any waived players you want in for a tryout?

T Max Starks
    CB Marcus Trufant
    QB Dennis Dixon
    TE Jake Ballard
    CB Marc Anthony
    OT JMarcus Webb
    QB Trent Edwards
    OG Kasey Studdard
    LB Gary Guyton
    QB Vince Young

======================================
    I wonder if Vince Young has anything left he would be a good backup for prior
    if he doesn’t have a nervous breakdown and start crying

==========

Agreed. Might just find his mojo – and the thing is; we could stash Wilson or McGloin through waivers (practice squad)

Seneca Wallace is another option. Trent Edwards isn’t likely to come back, and is a sack waiting to happen behind this line.

• Dmac2008

Good point Shutdown, that could very well be. I hooe not but, it sure seems that’s the path he is going.

• the famous dr robert

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 10:41 am
    SpudRaider Says:
    As far as a towel fight I’d put my money on Pryor.
    ====================================================

He’s got the reach, but accuracy could still be an issue.
    ********
    I heard he doesn’t so much snap his towel as kinda tosses it up.

Streater reached up for it and was smacked in the head by the soap dish. Instant concussion.

Meanwhile Flynn couldn’t partake due to a sore elbow.

• J Hill