1,238

UPDATE: Allen holding on to QB secret

Filed for print but with additional material . . .

Terrelle Pryor was first up when the Raiders broke the huddle and went to the line for their first drill Monday, but coach Dennis Allen declined to name a starting quarterback for the regular-season opener against the Indianapolis Colts.

Note: The San Francisco Chronicle, citing “league sources,” reported Pryor would start against the Colts. The NFL Network reported Raiders players had been told Pryor would start.

“I’m sure all of you have your questions on who the starting quarterback is going to be and what we’re going to do there,’’ Allen said following practice. “I’m really not going to get into that for competitive reasons.

“We’ve got a plan. Unless we start out in the Wildcat we’ll have a quarterback out there the first snap of the game. We’ll just leave it at that.’’

Pryor politely declined comment in the locker room and Matt Flynn was not available for comment.

Flynn, who sat out last week to rest a sore throwing arm, was suited up and was passing during drills.

“I think the (rest) helped him,’’ Allen said. “I don’t anticipate it will be an issue.’’

Allen said he told the quarterbacks who would start, and when asked if he would attempt to keep it a secret up to kickoff in Indianapolis on Sunday, replied, “Before I tell you? Yeah.’’

Whether Pryor starts or not, his ability to use his feet to create plays when the blocking breaks down will get him some playing time in certain situations with a set package of plays.

“We really don’t have a choice about who plays,’’ wide receiver Jacoby Ford said. “We’ll be comfortable with whoever is at the helm.’’

Three have been three examples where Raiders coaches in past years have attempted to fool the opponent regarding the identity of the quarterback, and all three games were losses.

In 2007, rookie coach Lane Kiffin wouldn’t name a starter between Josh McCown and Daunte Culpepper. McCown started, and the Raiders lost 36-21.

In 2010, coach Tom Cable made Bruce Gradkowski the surprise starter, replacing Jason Campbell, and the result was a 33-17 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

After Campbell broke his collarbone in 2011, coach Hue Jackson kept alive the notion that newly acquired Carson Palmer could start against the Kansas Chiefs. Kyle Boller started instead and lasted until halftime of a 28-0 loss.

– Quarterback Tyler Wilson went unclaimed through waivers and the Raiders still have one spot left on their practice squad.

Update: Pryor has since been signed to the practice squad.

“At the end of the day it’s hard to keep four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster and we went through the competitive part of OTAs and minicamp, training camp, and we felt like McGloin was ahead,” Allen said. “Tyler ’s a guy that needs some time to develop but we had to make a decision on what we could take on our 53-man roster right now and we went with Matt McGloin.”

Allen wouldn’t speculate as to whether Wilson would be a possibility for the Raiders practice squad.

– Punter Marquette King simply out-kicked Chris Kluwe and earn the right to replace Shane Lechler as the Raiders punter.

“When you give it your all, you’ve just got to sit back and be patient,’’ King said. “I felt like I gave it my all.’’

Said Allen: “He out-punted him. Marquette won the competition as the punter and we’ll continue to work with the holding situation.’’

King has worked diligently on his holding for place kicks and while Allen will look at other possibilities, the plan is to have King be the holder against Indianapolis.

“I’d get my I-pad and just set it up by the kitchen and just try and be smooth,” King said. “When Justin Medlock came in he really focused on the point of holding, just trying to be smooth from here to there. I’ve been working on being relaxed. As long as your body’s relaxed and you catch a clean snap, you put it down pretty smooth.”

With players unable to practice in the offseason at the facility because of the CBA, King would join long-snapper Jon Condo for workouts in Dublin.

“He worked his butt off this offseason and I’m proud of him,” Condo said. “Now it’s time to go out there and put all that hard work he put in to make it work on Sundays.”

– The Raiders signed veteran tackle Tony Pashos and released Alex Barron. Although he has played almost exclusively on the right side during Pashos becomes the backup for on both the left and right side for Menelik Watson and Khalif Barnes.

Pashos, 33, is a 10-year veteran of five teams. He sat out last season but had 12 starts for Cleveland in 2012. He was released by the Washington Redskins Aug. 31.

“(Barron) wasn’t exactly what we were looking for and we wanted to try and get a veteran player in here, not a young kid that we had to try to develop because this guy’s going to have to go in there and potentially have to play for us,” Allen said.

– Allen said the expected starting offensive line against Indianapolis will be Menelik Watson at left tackle, Lucas Nix at left guard, Stefen Wisniewski at center, Mike Brisiel at right guard and Khalif Barnes at right tackle.

Tracy Porter will start at right cornerback, Allen said, with rookie first-round pick D.J. Hayden coming in to play outside in the nickel, with Porter moving to the slot.

– Three players did not practice Monday _ tight end David Ausberry (shoulder), kicker Sebastian Janikowski (calf) and free safety Usama Young (undisclosed).

Allen said Janikowski will be ready to kick against Indianapolis. Ausberry’s status will be better known Wednesday. If Ausberry is not ready, Jeron Mastrud would get the nod.

– Three uniform number changes Monday _ Mastrud is now No. 85, Porter is No. 23 and Andre Gurode is No. 64.

– Cornerback Chance Casey, wide receiver Greg Jenkins, tight end Brian Leonhardt, guard Lamar Mady and Shelton Johnson, all waived Saturday by the Raiders, were signed to the practice squad.

The Raiders also signed linebacker Marshall McFadden (waived by Pittsburgh) and offensive tackle Matt McCants (waived by the New York Giants.

The returning players are cornerback Chance Casey, wide receiver Greg Jenkins, tight end Brian Leonhardt, guard Lamar Mady and safety Shelton Johnson. All were waived by the Raiders Saturday.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• SnBG

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 3rd, 2013 at 8:14 am
    @SnBG

whats up Bridges?

sorry about your boy Kluwe.. I see he’s kickin rocks instead of footballs

#TeamKing
    lllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    I’m good with that. Unlike some here I’ll root for a guy on the team dispute his views because he’s a Raider.

• NCRaiderFan

Can Phillip Adams play QB? Because he is a great Athlete, that might be worth a look. Oh and Fire Reggie if he doesn’t start McCloin week 1.

• SnBG

despite,

• Gdog

theghostronin79 Says:
    September 3rd, 2013 at 7:48 am

Pretty good prediction Guest…. I’d imagine the game shaking out that way too.

I think Pryor will move the team, and they will score. I think he finds a rhythm late, and starts engineering a comeback, but it will be too little, too late.

Our Defense isn’t stopping SH*T….. What’s the over under on how many “Punts” we force? 2?

I’d go with the under.

>>>>

I think you have it backwards.

Has our entire starting defense even played together yet?

I still think the defense might surprise people… especially if Hayden is special.

Pryor is going to have his struggles, and we didn’t put much into the offense since Reggie took over… so we are going to have some 10 point games.

But I don’t see us getting blown-out much. Reggie has been fixing the defense first.

• bcz24

According to Dennis Allen, Brisiel didn’t look bad against Seattle 3rd teamers.
    ***********
    It was relatively speaking when he said that… He didn’t look bad, compared to Gurode the week before. I watched Brisiel against Seattle, and I only realized he was even playing in the game because he got pancaked. He didn’t play very well at all. I think McClain will push him to the bench pretty quickly.

• romania

with this line, traps, misdirection, quick passes to the backs.

• Gdog

NCRaiderFan Says:
    September 3rd, 2013 at 8:23 am

>>>>

Troll much?

• romania

forget play action

• inonewordraider

with bass cut and andre carter cut and ryan robinson a lde, Houston is your every down rde

YIKES!

• Charlie

Bcz

See my 1190 post.

Guys as old as Pashos are on borrowed time.

The retreat strategy regarding our Oline is over. We are using it to buy time till we can draft more Oline in rounds 1-3 next year.

I agree that Barnes will be on the bench soon which is where he should be. Either by Pashos or Watson when Veld returns.

• romania

lots of roll outs

• Charlie

BCZ

Retread not retreat.

@Bcz & JFB

since Kluwe is one of the league’s best punters … he should get claimed off waivers with his 1-year vet minimum contract

Right?

@Charlie

We replaced a guy out of football last year (Barron) with another guy out of football last year (Pashos) ??

Playoffs!

Why isn’t Veldheer on I.R. with a chance at early return (in November) ??

Are we gonna waste a roster spot for half the year?

seems par for the course, I guess.

• SnBG

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 3rd, 2013 at 8:28 am
    @Charlie

Playoffs!
    lllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    Still an upgrade.

• guest123

Big gaffe by Reggie losing David Bass, he may not have been much this year, but you lost a promising young DLineman by trying to trade a punter? Who the fvck is going to trade a PUNTER that is definitely getting cut by the end of the week anyways? As much as I have tried and tried to defend Reggie… not sure there are many more WTF head scratching decisions I can handle.

***********

agree, another stupid moment for Reggie. Bass played well in the preseason and got his money tape out there for everyone to see. Why didn’t he just cut Tyler W when it was obvious nobody wanted him or our punters?

• Charlie

Romania,

Bubble screens, rollouts, three step slants/fades.
    We will need to use the run to set up the pass even if that means runs disguised as checkdowns to Reece and Dmac.

As I have saying for years, the Oline dictates what the OC can do.

No one can blame Knapp this year. We have a line talent issue and we need to hope TP can grow.

• Violent Hands

I think we win by a Jano FG after a perfect hold by King and we celebrate in style as the clock runs out. 20-17 Raiders

• bcz24

Charlie Says:
    September 3rd, 2013 at 8:26 am
    Bcz

See my 1190 post.

Guys as old as Pashos are on borrowed time.

***************
    I didn’t say Pashos was a long term answer man, just talking about getting through this year.

• SnBG

Who says Reg was trying to trade a punter????????? Some rat bstrd press guys. It was no mistake letting Bass go. He didn’t do that much and Reg didn’t want him on the team anymore. Big deal.

@G123

Reggie tried to “sneak” Bass on the practice squad, lol

I guess he figured as bad as the Raiders are.. nobody will even look at our cuts!

especially when it comes to pass rushers. ugh

• guest123

Very excited to see Marshall McFadden. From what I hear, Steelers lost a good one trying to get cute and put him on their PS. Hear he plays mean, fast, and with some attitude. We need that!

• bcz24

Who the hell ever said Kluwe was one of the leagues best punters? I for sure didn’t! As far as him getting claimed off waivers, not gonna happen, the league has sorted their punter situation out, if a punter gets injured, he will be the first guy called though.

Who says Reg was trying to trade a punter????????? Some rat bstrd press guys.

***

@SnBG

you’re right. it was Jerry

• SnBG

Getting through this year is what it’s all about. Barnes will be on the bench soon enough. Miller ate him up last year.

• Charlie

RR SnB

Guys like Pashos can help against the Jags. He can be a backup tackle for a few games as injury insurance. Not a full time starter over a 16 game season.

He will get steam rolled by a good Dline.

The standard we must measure progress by is against playoff teams.

I like the core of Veld, Wiz and Watson.
    We will most likely draft a guard in the second round next year and hpe Bergs can stay healthy.

new post ladies

• guest123

I’m surprised Kluwe got the boot. They are going to ‘coach up’ King on how to hold kicks? I bet Seabass is pissed.

Long FG pct is more important than net punt avg in my book. Maybe they wanted the younger guy because they figure he’s not going to get worn out with fatigue?

• SnBG

Charlie Says:
    September 3rd, 2013 at 8:36 am
    RR SnB

He will get steam rolled by a good Dline.

The standard we must measure progress by is against playoff teams.

I like the core of Veld, Wiz and Watson.
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    I agree with you Charlie.

• bcz24

SnBG Says:
    September 3rd, 2013 at 8:34 am
    *****************
    No one had to say it, why wasn’t Kluwe cut Saturday? You don’t have to be a mind reader to figure it out. He held an extra punter for 24 hours… give me another plausible explanation for this me. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

• bcz24

guest123 Says:
    September 3rd, 2013 at 8:38 am

***************
    King’s holding was much improved last week for Medlock. He will work exclusively with Seabass for the remainder of the season, I doubt if the holding will be an issue again.

I agree I thought the punting was close enough that the holding aspect would play a part in the decision. I will say I think they made the right move.

• SnBG

Bcz24 Says:
    September 3rd, 2013 at 8:40 am
    SnBG Says:
    September 3rd, 2013 at 8:34 am
    *****************
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    Well since you’re speculating I can also. April and REG/DA wanted to talk about it some more. Really, King and Kluwe were not that far apart as punters. As I said earlier, Bass did nothing in the preseason and was expendable because of Richardson and Crawford.

NEW POST!

hello?

• Pingback: Tyler Wilson signed to Oakland Raiders’ practice squad - Sports USA Media

• jumpnjiminy

You can’t compare Boller to McGloin – Boller was a bum from Cal and McG is from Penn St – nuff said.

I’m rooting for Pryor definitely – just think what with the phoney competition and all, he and Flynn are nervous wrecks.

Ergo start McGloin!

• SinCityRaider

Raider Nation will know if we have a future with Pryor or we draft a QB next year. Dejeveon Clowney is no lock till unless he has another solid season.

• qodrn1