2,333

Pryor named starter for Raiders vs. Jaguars

ALAMEDA – There won’t be a quarterback guessing game in Oakland this week.
Raiders coach Dennis Allen confirmed the expected Monday, declaring Terrelle Pryor the starter for Sunday’s home opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars after Pryor’s strong performance Sunday in Indianapolis.
Meanwhile, the Jaguars’ starting quarterback job grew less stable. The team announced that starter Blaine Gabbert won’t play due to a hand injury suffered in his team’s opener. Instead, Jacksonville will go with Chad Henne, who relieved an injured Gabbert early in a game against the Raiders in Oakland last season.
Pryor passed for 217 yards and rushed for a league-high 112 yards in the Raiders 21-17 loss to the Colts. He was intercepted twice, including on the Raiders final play deep in Colts territory.
“The great ones find a way to get in the end zone in the clutch,” Pryor said Monday. “I missed out on that. I wasn’t so great (Sunday).”
Pryor started only one game his first two NFL seasons. He received the nod against the Colts based on the fact he outperformed Matt Flynn during exhibition games.
He called his performance Sunday “awful.” Allen said that shows Pryor’s passion and dedication. Just the same, there’s plenty of room for improvement.
“I wouldn’t go so far as to say that he was awful,” Allen said Monday, “but he also understands that there’s some critical mistakes in the game that we got to get corrected because we can’t have those.”

– Running back Darren McFadden managed only 48 yards rushing and averaged 2.8 yards on his 17 carries.
Even so, Allen said he remains convinced that McFadden is on the verge of a breakout season.
“I’m not concerned with who gets the yards,” Allen said. “We were able to run and run effectively. Darren’s going to get his touches. Darren’s going to get his yards.”
Allen said there were some “opportunities” for the Raiders to spring McFadden for long runs. That failed to materialize, for one reason or other.
Last season, McFadden averaged a career-low 3.3 yards rushing. A switch from a zone-blocking scheme to a power-blocking scheme is expected to benefit McFadden.
“I’m still pleased with where Darren is.” Allen said. “I still think he’s going to have a good year.”

– First-year player Marquette King replaced veteran Shane Lechler this season not only as the Raiders punter but as their holder on field-goal and extra-point attempts.
Kicker Sebastian Janikowski worked exclusively with Lechler from 2000-12. He said this offseason that he and King concentrated on getting in synch.
On Sunday, Janikowski missed a 48-yard field-goal attempt. King after the game accepted blame.
Not so fast, Allen said.
“The hold was fine,” Allen said. “SeaBass just missed the kick. That’s something he doesn’t do often.”
To that end, Allen said, King and Janikowski will spend more time working together to lessen the likelihood of any issues cropping up.

– The Raiders offensive line allowed only one sack Sunday and held up pretty well, by most accounts, despite two new starters and Khalif Barnes moving from right tackle to left.
“All things considered, a pretty good overall performance for the O-line in the first (game),” center Stefen Wisniewski said.
Allen said the offensive line held up its end.
“For mixing and matching some guys and moving some guys around … I was pleased with the way the offensive line played,” Allen said.

– Strong safety Tyvon Branch emerged from the Colts game with a sore shoulder. Allen said none of his other players suffered serious injuries.

– Pryor leads the league in rushing after his 112-yard effort Sunday. Also, Pryor was one of only two players that rushed for 100 yards or more through Sunday’s games.

Steve Corkran

• hwnrdr

>> and she’s probably proud of that too. thats the worst part. used to be a man got on welfare and didn’t want to be there, now it’s a career choice. but thats the plan.

Couldn’t agree more!

• theghostronin79

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 8:33 am
    Cam Newton’s Panthers will have the 2nd overall pick, behind the Jags …

#1 Bridgewater – JAX
    #2 Clowney – CAR

print it

================

Seems logical

• raiderjhawk

30-6 Raiders.

• dirkdiggler

Raiders could end up with 2nd overall pick. we all think OAK is good now because of a close loss to the colts. had a game like that against ATL last year too. lost 8 in a row after that. we’ll see

Savannah Brinson is fine, dirk..

time for an eye exam?

• raiderjhawk

I could realistically see 8 to 9 wins this year, laugh it up but that’s what I see…

• DJ Johnny

dirkdiggler Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:41 am

I assume you are a regular poster who just changed his handle.

You weren’t posting as STOMPER before were you?

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:43 am

Savannah Brinson is fine, dirk..

time for an eye exam?

>> it was a JOKE man, time for a personality check

DJ Johnny Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:44 am

dirkdiggler Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:41 am

I assume you are a regular poster who just changed his handle.

You weren’t posting as STOMPER before were you?

>. you assume too much. there are people that watch raider games that don’t post on this world famous blog too.

LeBron jokes aren’t funny..

best player in the NBA. haters look foolish

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RR,

Lol
    Thx bro. I hate terrorists. You think I like being searched 10+ times every time I fly.

F U Bin Laden!

• jesusraiderjim

@HWN

Shemya Alaska Island(2miby4mi)last island on the chain. Played softball with one dude and knew this other dude “Woody” who was a pretty well know surfer mid 80′s. Then at Nellis in Vegas huge out with another cool dude named Jim ??

Good times and al of them were great athletes too.

raiderjhawk Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:43 am

>> if DMAC gets a second life and that defense holds up. could happen.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Guess I’ll have to get my DMAC attitude going on!
    Well…

• tuckrulefool

Raiders 31 Jaxoffville 10

• DJ Johnny

raiderjhawk Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:43 am

IF the Colts are a truly a very good football team and IF last Sunday wasn’t a fluke that we basically outplayed them overall then we good challenge for the playoffs.

The next 2 weeks will tell us a lot about what kind fo team this is.

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:45 am

LeBron jokes aren’t funny..

best player in the NBA. haters look foolish

>> why? lebron jokes are funny to me and thats all that matters from my perspective. Lebron will always be 2nd behind Kobe Bryant for this generation. Lebron might even be a laker soon.

• raiderjhawk

jets, titans, steelers, cowboys, jets are all winnable games.

You got to figure we’ll surprise at least one team and maybe get surprised by one, then factor in divisional games. I really didn’t think the Chefs looked that good, I live in Chefs country and even their own fans didn’t think they had a passing game. Against the lowly jags, that’s not good.

• dirkdiggler

Raiders play dungver in 2 weeks in dungver. THAT is the test. if the Raiders keep that game within single digits I’d be impressed and would anoint Pryor as the messiah.

• Raider Dawg

Raider Dawg Raiders 23 – 17

***

@Dirk

you’re a Laker fan? Oh!!!!!

that explains everything, lol

#dead2me

• raiderjhawk

Jax is a must win game ! !
    O

• raiderjhawk

I hope to god I’m wrong but I think Denver will be in the superbowl this year.

Man! Do I ever hope I’m wrong.

• DJ Johnny

ON PAPER, outgaining the Colts, coming back from a 14-0 deficit on the road w a very good chance of winning at the end, would suggest that we have a very good team possibly.

Even the defense. I heard talk yesterday blasting the Steelers for allowing 5 sacks of Big Ben. Well the “lowly” untalented, makeshift Raiders got to Andrew Luck FOUR (4) times. No turnovers though. Gotta get some of those.

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:50 am

***

@Dirk

you’re a Laker fan? Oh!!!!!

that explains everything, lol

#dead2me

>. I am NOT a laker fan man. believe that, but i am a fan of real players man. KOBE Byrant is the best of the last 20 years. laker fan or not. Lebron doesn’t have that killer instinct. always remember lebron quitting against the celtics as a CAV.

raiderjhawk Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:51 am

I hope to god I’m wrong but I think Denver will be in the superbowl this year.

Man! Do I ever hope I’m wrong.

>. yeah i think Dungver wins the whole thing this year. just my opinion.

• raiderjhawk

Anyone know how to change the name on the back of a jersey? I’ve heard some talk in here before about it.

I’m tempted to buy a bargain bin Russell #2 for peanuts and try to change the name on the back to pryor.

• DJ Johnny

dirkdiggler Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:45 am
    DJ Johnny Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:44 am

dirkdiggler Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:41 am

I assume you are a regular poster who just changed his handle.

You weren’t posting as STOMPER before were you?

All right. Fair enough.

• inonewordraider

________
    absolutely right, kobe the best of the generation with Duncan a close second

rrs watching with his heart not his eyes sometimes

we need ford for his kr abilities

***

I call bs. Dirk = gey laker fan

still hoping you guys can sign Jason Collins??

rrs watching with his heart not his eyes sometimes

we need ford for his kr abilities

***

King James = best in the NBA

Ford sucks as WR and KR. trade him for a conditional 7th!

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 9:58 am

***

I call bs. Dirk = gey laker fan

still hoping you guys can sign Jason Collins??

>> call BS all you want you’re still wrong. I’m actually anti-laker but great players are great players and you should be able to admit that no matter the team.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

Have we traded DMAC and Flynn to the Packers for Jarrett Boykin and a 6th rounder yet?

• JLofty

Can’t make too much of an early game. You are what you do. 0-1. I hope it was a start of something sustainable and of course without a doubt TPryor needs to clean it up.
    A TO from the D would’ve gone a LONG way in that last game…

I’m actually anti-laker

***

LOL @ Dirk

ok – whats your fav team then?

• inonewordraider

King James = best in the NBA

Ford sucks as WR and KR. trade him for a conditional 7th!

______
    james is best now no doubt, and has a chance to catch kobe

but can’t crown him yet

and ford might be the best kr in the game, why not put him as pr too, forget him as a receiver

***

@HB

Reggie isn’t going to pull one over on his former boss, man. I’m hoping we can unload #20 to the Giants and maybe Flynn to the Jags (do they have the cap space?)

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 10:03 am

I’m actually anti-laker

***

LOL @ Dirk

ok – whats your fav team then?

>> i’ve always been a Kings fan. yeah its embarrassing but its true

***

Ford has never been PR and only has one decent KR since like 2010 (and it was in a preseason game)

• dirkdiggler

lebron isn’t a closer. barely beat a old ass spurs team. I don’t buy it.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Coded language on local raido is a reason i dont listen often, I dont lie what they are saying about pryor. this is no mistake i believe the radio guys are purposely trying to shape the way pryor is perceived and in fct trying to shape the way the public views all qbs like pryor. The local radio guys are not the inventors of this tactic but they are clearly all in with the spin.

i went through the archive to listen to the post game pryor stuff for 95.7 and wasnt shocked to find the radio host especially those that never considered pryor starting material to begin with employing devilish coded language implying pryor isnt very intelligent.

They kept saying that “olson had to scale down the playbook for pryor”. They also interviewed marcel reece and asked ghow long it would take for pryor to ‘digest and grasp” olsons playbook.

Good thing reece is a sharp guy and he quickly corrected these wanna be MAGICIANS and answered with ‘he has a grasp on the playbook”. reece caught them trying to lead him into disparaging his own team mate with their word games.

Not only did a raider who starts for the current team say this but it lends credence to my theory. they would have loved to have reece say that pryor didnt have a ‘grasp” so they could bash pryor for not being smart enough.

here is my issue with this.

1. the double standard for pryor. I dont recall anybody ever saying that olson would have to scale back his playbook for flynn, when flynn is just as new to olsons playbook. WHY??? I dont recall anybody saying about andrew luck last year that the playbook had to be scale back for him as a rookie. WHY??? So it is assumed that qbs that look like luck and flynn are inherently smart enough, yet pryor is some how deficient when it comes to learning. Same old story

2. Its is simply a false notion. This is not the offense the raiders installed during offseasn ota mini AND training camp. They only started installing this offense when pryor was named the starter for the final pre season game.

So in fact it isnt only pryor that is new to this offense it is also the entire raider offense that is learning this new scheme.

3. What playbook are they referring to in the first place? Olson is himself only learning this hybrid offense approach, by his own admission. ‘we are still what to do with this toy” (paraphrasing). So if this is true how could he scale back a playbook that did not exist and was not in his repertoire to begin with?

In fact it is olson that is working form a scaled down playbook as he borrows pages from other coaches and scrambles to cobble together an entirely new playbook.

The hybrid offense is dumbed down for olson as he is trying to figure it out on the fly, then trying to learn how to implement and teach it, then learn how o call it IN game.

Stop with the spin and the damned lies. Stop with the coded language.

teddy roosevelt still rules the AIR WAVES judging by the evidence at 95.7 the game

media propagandist and agents of deception…EXPOSED!!

• dirkdiggler

Ford sucks, trade him and Flynn for an 8th round pick. Flynn def needs to be cut/traded.

@Dirk

are you related to MR/Dr Bob/Sullivan44 ??

• JLofty

@2169: totally agree. I want to see what we can do against a REALLY good team that is on a mission.
    Hope we can get some momentum but until we do the basics like kick field goals, punt without getting blocked, and convert not just red zone opps, but 1st and goal for the vic, THEN we might have something….

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 10:05 am

***

@HB

—————————
    I would take that.

Considering the team the Jags have they better have some cap space. no one on that roster deserves any big $$ except a couple guys.

DMAC needs to be dealt soon, anything we can get for him is a bonus. He’s done, we all see it. Let the Reece era begin and next year it will be Latavius and a free agent battling it out.

@Mistic

Can Newton sucks. Please don’t ever compare him to my boy Terrelle Pryor again. thanks in advance!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

on more thing on those boobs at 95.7, a couple of weeks ago when we were in the flynn vs pryor portion of preseason and i called them to tell them that pryor would be the starter and the only playmker we have.

they answered with ‘woa slow your roll” and “he was playing against back ups”

just like the idiots on this board

dont look now but pryor is making national news as an up and coming dynamic star play making qb!!!!!

95.7 rise guys and blog tards……TERRELE PRYOR OWNS YOU!!!!!!!

• hwnrdr

2196.RaiderRockstar Says:
    September 11th, 2013 at 10:10 am
    @Mistic

I always liked that commercial with that kid that asked him all those questions and the last one was “…and become your mom’s favorite player? I’m loosening my arm”
    LOL

• dirkdiggler

LOL @ Mistic!! yeah its a conspiracy against black mobile QBS!!!! heres a secret for you: white fans like white QBs and black fans like black QBS. fans like to live vicariously through the players and QB is the most important position!! DING DING!!!

TERRELE PRYOR OWNS YOU!!!!!!!

***

@Mistic

I’m not a fan of humans “owning” other humans. you?

I’m a bigger TP2 fan than you. Just not dumb enough to make some of the comments you do about him. I bet even Pryor himself would get a good laugh

Pryor = Randall Cunningham. said it since Day 1